Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy email scam?

• 11-07-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

hi im selling a combine harvester and got 2 emails today enquiring about it.

The first was

Hello,,

How are you doing today, i will like to know your last asking price,as am really interested in buying this from you,email me ASAP...

Rachael.

The second

Hello,

Thanks for your mail,The price is fairly ok by me but i will like to know
    if payment by Bank Cheque will be ok for the payment,if ok,you are to get back
    to me your details below so that i can instruct my Secretary to issued and sent
    payment to you immediately...

Name to be on cheque:
    Address where cheque will be received by you:
    Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land line and Office Number:

Am located in England but never mind about shipment because my shipper
    will come over to your place for the pickup that will after you must have
    cashed the Cheque

Await your Quick Response.

Mrs Rachael

Just to let everyone know and be aware in case u get one. I'm sure its a scam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm afraid it's 99% likely to be a scam. You usually come across it when selling vehicles on various internet sites - there's a thread about all the various scams people have come across in the motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

Total scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Scam. 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

hi yeah scam havent had response to a few questions i asked them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The broken english is a dead giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ok scam, but how does it work.
    All they have is his name, address & phone no., can get that in phone book.
    If he doesn't release the machine until cheque for full amount is lodged and cleared, and he doesn't give him his bank acount details (Don't under any circumstamces).....what's the scam?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zednanrefnomar

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ok scam, but how does it work.
    All they have is his name, address & phone no., can get that in phone book.
    If he doesn't release the machine until cheque for full amount is lodged and cleared, and he doesn't give him his bank acount details (Don't under any circumstamces).....what's the scam?:confused:

The seller might think that the cheque has cleared, and the bank might even tell the seller that the cheque has cleared, but it could turn out later that the cheque was fake, and the bank will want their money back.

Or, probably the "buyer" will send a cheque for more than the price, telling the seller that the extra amount is to pay to transport costs, and ask the seller to lodge the cheque and pay the transport company. And later, it will transpire that the cheque was fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

There's a few different scams that could come from this. The first thing to remember is that cheque clearing is not as straightforward as one might imagine. You lodge cheque to your account. 3 days later it's processed and your bank release the funds to you. 6 months later they get around to checking with the issuing bank, discover it's a fake/stolen, and then take the money back from you.

1. They suggest an escrow service. This could be along the lines of "www.totallyrealmicrosofthonestescrow.com" or "www.its seriously ebay escrow.com". They provide "proof" that the money is being handled by this really honest gov secure escrow, you send goods, they run away laughing.

2. They will write you a cheque for the value of the goods, +€1500 (because their secretary/partner needs to do something else as well). They want you to lodge/transfer/give the balance of the cash to someone. You give them the €1500, they run away laughing.

The second one is really common in hotels/b&bs. A doctor will write to you, telling you about how him and his 5 friends are attending a mysterious medical conference for a week, and how much. You say €2,000. They say great, we'll send a cheque for €4000, as our "agent" in Ireland will be arranging car hire and taxis and things, which come to €2000. So we'll send you the €4000 immediately (the reservation isn't for another 6 months) and our man will drop around to you next week to pick up the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It doesn't matter how long a fake or stolen cheque has cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

This is obviously a very naive question, but shouldn't the clearing process pick up faked cheques?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Or you could send them back an e-mail (not from your home e-mail) with fake details and just string them along.... it least it wastes their time and resources.

All these scam artists operate by bulk sending e-mails in the hope that a few will respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

defo a scam, anyone that is willing to pay for something without having looked at it is scamming....

string the cock bag along.. set up a spoof email and provide spoof details, play them at their own game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

100% scam.

Check out this thread about scams on Carzone. Yours is identical to some of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

just seen a email there from that said Rachel..about my bulls, i'm selling!
    I do normally get them, when advertising horse for sale

one year got one man--wanted to buy a foal--i said wanted €3k..he said he'd give me €5000--cheque,and i'd give the €2k back to him..was from holland..it said!

he sent a western union cheque to me for €5k,i went to bank in dublin...before i knew it-manager was out to me...told them all--passed on emails/phone no had for him! unsure what ever happened..

Told ur man,he rang me--sent another cheque on to me, never tried it!

so i do entertain them,up to a point! as reel them in,then pass on info to garda--whether ever checked out!
    but i think-some ppl fall for them..and they do make money!
    i was told,the case i had-could hav beind done here...from a man here,etc...

Advertisement