Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoeist Drowned at Bray Harbour???

• 11-07-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Mother just came back from walking on the seafront with the dogs and said there was mayhem near the Bray Head end of the seafront with Gardai, Ambulance and Fire brigade. She said she was told by two other woman that the body of a Canoeist was pulled from the water. She didn't see it herself however.

Anyone know if this was just an excercise and those two women were mistaken. The mother did say that other Canoeists out on the water further out did not seem to be coming back to shore which seems strange.

Tragic if it turns out to be true!

[EDIT] Misunderstood the mother. It was the Bray Head end of the seafront apparently, one of two canoeists intending to canoe to greystones, not necessarily affiliated with a larger group of canoeists coming out of the harbour end at the time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looks like no one else heard about this.

Anyway. Note to self. Never trust 2nd hand information passed on to mothers from 'Old Dears' :D

The Mother only saw activity from a distance and was told it was a canoeist drowned by some old dears that were in the area at the time the body was pulled out.

According to the Wicklow News it was a 40yo eastern european fully dressed and not a canoeist at all. Foul play is not suspected. Tragic though. Imagine going for a walk on the beach and seeing a body washed up!! Where the old dears got caneoists from I don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Calibos wrote: »
    Where the old dears got caneoists from I don't know!

Typical conversation:

"Didja hear about the poor divil washed up on the beach?"
    "Beach yes, no I didn't"
    "I heard he was a nudist, you know"
    "A canoeist, yes yes, tsk tsk"

Don't fight it. It's the international language of old dears. They are all afflicted and we can't change it.:)

However, someday it will be our turn:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Don't fight it. It's the international language of old dears. They are all afflicted and we can't change it.:)

However, someday it will be our turn:eek:

Yes, it can lead to some hilarious situations. :)

Well, better start learning it now so it won't be too difficult when our time comes. Although, I have a feeling that it'll come naturally once you hit a certain age. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Where the old dears got caneoists from I don't know![/quote]

I think the caneoists were the ones who found the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

viv2 wrote: »
    Where the old dears got caneoists from I don't know!

I think the caneoists were the ones who found the body.

Yeah, just read that in the Bray People today. Was floating off Bray Head not found washed up on the beach.

I don't want to make light of the matter but does anyone else think its strange that its always Eastern European Blokes that get washed up these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't want to make light of the matter but does anyone else think its strange that its always Eastern European Blokes that get washed up these days.

Maybe because they don't know the area that well and underestimate some of the dangers while locals usually know the black spots?

Advertisement