Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Game Leagues

• 11-07-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Xeon Gaming are looking at starting up offline gaming leagues. We need your expertise.

We don't want to have to administrate too many different leagues. So we're looking at consolidating a league into a genre, rather than a single game. Meaning we would have maybe Soul Calibur and Street Fighter (or whatever two fighting games are most popular) players in the same league.

We are looking at having both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions playable. The way it would work is in the fixtures you have a home and away matches against every player in your league. For your home matches you play on the console and game of your choice. For the away matches, you play on your opponents console and game of choice. Your choice would be made at the start of the season and not be changeable.

We're looking at starting the leagues with thirty players split into two random leagues of fifteen for season one.

Please leave your feedback and ideas for us to help make this league a reality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Interesting, where would you be holding it? Check out <Neo Empire>, there is a Northern Ireland section there but the Southern chaps seem content here at Boards. I think you should run round robin groups (groups of 4 or 5 where everyones plays each other once) to qualify for an 8 man double elimination tree. I'm a bit bias on this as that is how I run things in Belfast, but it works well for us.

Due to some sort of technical difficulties on the website, this page has not been able to be updated in quite some time. But regardless, <here> is a link to the Dragonslayer Ranking Battle homepage. As you can see its just at the end of season 1, season 3 will be starting in September. But it will give you an idea of what happens.

If you get something sorted out, please be sure and post up about it. I'm quite certain a few from Belfast would travel down for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SoulCali?
    Nah, I vote for BlazBlue & SFIV to be the new champion games.

Pity Tekken 6 BR isn't out yet, as that game will just be a slayer!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I would not be too found of merging 2 fighting games into one league, I'd personaly prefer 2 separate leagues or just 1 league on its own in the genre. I've never heard of any of other gaming competition that merges 2 games regardless of the genre into one competition.

If its a league format it, would be my prefrence not to split up the league either. I'd rather everyone was in the same area, so there is chance to compete against everyone.

The standard format for most fighting game tournaments is double elimination or some form of double elimination. Again that would be my preference.

I think the regular fighting game players are planing another SF IV competition shortly and I think the idea is to make seedings out of that.

As for choosing 2 games I'd chosse HD Remix and SF IV. Don't think BlazBlue is out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Cheers for the feedback lads. Will have a look into those other league and comp set ups. Also will seriously consider any good fighting games suggested. We're running small competitions at the moment to help us get into the grove of running things and also chat to people and see what they want.

There's a thread about the little comps we're doing in the run up to the leagues in the competitive gaming section of boards.

Hopefully some of you lads can make it to one of the events so we can have a chat and seriously get the ball rolling on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Interesting but yeah I'm not sure about the whole, two games aspect...

So now for the important: When Where and how much?

as for what fighting games to use
    SFIV is obviously the most popular.
    HD remix is probably getting more play than SF III but Personally I bust heads on both ;)

I'd reckon Kof will be more popular in general than blazblue when they are both out
    But Tekken 6 is surely the mostly game to be widely popular after SFIV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

SF3:3rd Strike FTW.

The whole home and a way thing for 360 pad players and PS3 pad players sounds fair but anyone used to playing on a PS3 pad just simply will not be able to play on a 360 pad, where as pad 360 users have the option of a working d-pad and working thumb stick when they switch to ps3 pad, of course the different positions will hurt their game, they'll still be able to at least play lol.

Most people will probably be using sticks though. But Pad play should really stick on the PS3 version.

I simply won't play on a pad on either format, but I'll happly play on any format as long as I have some form of acrade stick with 6 buttons on it.

Pad play should not be restriced to either format, there is decent Xbox 360 pad players and it would be unfair on them if it was. As long as eveyone has there preferred option then it doesn't really matter.

I know, what I was saying was those 360 pad players can use a PS3 pad easily enough where as a 360 pad is useless to a PS3 pad player.

Its like a race between someone who was restricted to using a car that has a joystick instead of a steering wheel, but put enough weeks into driving that car that he got decent at controlling it with the joystick. He's not gonna have huge issues swapping cars with the guy who uses one with a wheel, but the wheel guy may as well not even race instead of trying to steer a car with a joystick....lol

But I know realistically, ps3 pad players are gonna have to either deal with racing a car that uses a joystick to steer or not attend at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Blazblue or KOF realistically won't have enough interest in it for what these guys are trying to do - SF4, HD Remix, Tekken, SoulCal are probably your best options (in that order imo).

I understand that people will be iffy having to play two games in a league. As they probably are the master of just their game. But realistically for this to work we need to get as many players in as possible. And two separate leagues for two games means splitting the prize fund and making it less appealing.

I just hope people won't be too picky about this because if we get the numbers for season 1 this could really take off and then we might be able to support several separate game leagues.

• Advertisement

I'd think if you got a chance koHd you might want to pop round to the XGC next Saturday (starting at 1:00pm) when the fighting game community has its next event to have a discussion with us

Alturnatively we could talk over IRC or Ventrillo and I could relay information back here.

I'd still be in favour of two competition with smaller prizes or just 1 single fighting game compeitition. I can't imagine a COD 4 league being merged with a Quake Live league, or Starcraft league being merged with a CnC league. I wouldn't run two leagues just for the sake of running more leagues. You would probably put off just as many as you would gain by running two events as a single event as opposed to one competition on its own or 2 seperate events.

The way I see it KoHd is there is already regular fighting game events in the XGC that run just basically off just one game Street Fighter 4, these events occur at least once if not twice a month and it looks like the current plan is every 3rd or 4th event will be a competitive one. You don't actually as big as numbers in fighting game competition as in team games like CS or COD 4 as its all 1v1.

We don't want to dilute the fighting game community which isn't that big at the moment by having too many events. That said at the same time we could possibly merge the events if both sides can cater for each other.

Azza wrote: »
    I'd think if you got a chance koHd you might want to pop round to XGC next Saturday (starting at 1:00pm) when the fighting game community has its next event to have a discussion with us

Alturnatively we could talk over IRC or Ventrillo and I could relay information back here.

I'd still be in favour of two competition with smaller prizes or just 1 single fighting game compeitition. I can't imagine a COD 4 league being merged with a Quake Live league, or Starcraft league being merged with a CnC league. I would run two leagues just for the sake of running more leagues. You would probably put off just as many as you would gain by running two events as a single event as opposed to one competition on its own or 2 seperate events.

The way I see it KoHd is there is already regular fighting game events in the XGC that run just basically off just one game Street Fighter 4, these events occur at least once if not twice a month and it looks like the current plan is every 3rd or 4th event will be a competitive one. You don't actually as big as numbers in fighting game competition as a team game like CS or COD 4 as its all 1v1.

We don't want to dilute the fighting game community which isn't that big at the moment to going to many events. That said at the same time we could possibly merge the events if both sides can cater for each other.

I do agree with your points. If the numbers were high enough with one game, we'd gladly make life easier for ourselves and go with one game.

I'll try to get to the next SF4 event to have a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I agree with Azza on the separate leagues thing btw - fighting games can be hugely different, lumping them into the same league doesn't make much sense. If you have to choose between games, just do a SF4 league and leave it at that as I presume there'd be the most interest for that (though I'd really like a HD Remix league!).

If you really do have to do two different games though ,theres no point in having two totally different series of games, keep it all streetfighter. So SF4 & HDR or SF4 & SF3:3s for example.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    If you really do have to do two different games though ,theres no point in having two totally different series of games, keep it all streetfighter. So SF4 & HDR or SF4 & SF3:3s for example.

To attract players who have different tastes?

Yeah but to have people play games they don't play to move up on a league makes less sense. Fighting games may look like they play similar in a screenshot but each game can be totally different. SF is nothing like tekken and to assume you can play tekken just cause you play SF is crazy.

They'd be more different to each other then two different FPS's.

Anyway the Street Fighters are the only Fighting Games worth playing :p

muahahhaa.

Yeah but to have people play games they don't play to move up on a league makes less sense.

We are going to end up debating different points here. I agree with you, there is no point in making people play games they don't play. Both leagues should be separate, so people do not have to play games they do not play.
    Fighting games may look like they play similar in a screenshot but each game can be totally different. SF is nothing like tekken and to assume you can play tekken just cause you play SF is crazy.

You are stating the obvious here. You are only backing up my point that the leagues should be separate.

Advertisement