Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A priceless film

• 11-07-2009 1:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from my post in this thread I did a bit of a search on the Camera & Film that was carried by George Mallory & Andrew Irvine back in 1924.

For us photographers there is some really interesting information about the Camera & Film on
    this page.

If that Camera & Film were ever discovered then it would be priceless. Imagine how nervous you would be handling & developing that film? I have heard quite a few people say that they are certain that it is still up there but it's just such a hard place to find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Great link there, it was good reading.
    I'd say the camera (& film) will be found some day ! but I suspect it will show that they never 'made' the summit. That 2nd step looks pretty difficult, especially reading the following:

One of the great mysteries of Mallory and Irvine's summit day is whether or not they could have climbed the crux of the route, the so- called Second Step, a 100-foot high rock wall at 28,230 feet. The Chinese made the first confirmed climb of the Second Step in 1960. The following is a compilation from contemporary reports:

"Liu Lienman tried four times to climb the 15-foot headwall, each time falling off exhausted. Qu Yinhua then took over the lead. Unable to scale it by any other means, he removed his gloves, shoes and socks to gain a better grip on the rock (later losing his toes and parts of his fingers to frostbite). Finally, by standing on Liu's shoulders and hammering in two pitons, Qu managed to get to the top of the cliff. With the help of a rope paid out from above, the three others followed."

During the second ascent of Everest from the north side, in 1975, the Chinese carried up a ladder and fixed it upon the Second Step to aid the passage of the headwall. Since then, all climbers have used the ladder to surmount the Second Step.
    This year, Conrad Anker, one of the world's ablest rock climbers and a member of our expedition, will try to climb the Second Step the way Mallory and Irvine would have done—without the aid of the ladder, ropes, or pitons. This test, at 28,230 feet, will enable us to gain a greater sense of the challenge faced by Mallory and Irvine in 1924. Many questions hang on Anker's proposed ascent: How long will it take one person to free climb the Second Step? How great are the technical difficulties (modern climbers have guessed at a rating of between 5.6 and 5.10)? Could Mallory and Irvine have climbed the Step with the hardware available to them? Did they have the skills to surmount the Second Step?

Advertisement