Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst hospital in the world......

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Trish2007 is correct, the food in th staff canteen is almost the exact same as the patients get, it has a few differences because they have to have a choice available but it is all cooked by the same people in the same kitchen. When a batch of something is cooked a few portions are sent to the canteen, the rest are chilled for reheating for the patients. The veg in the canteen is taken from the same batch as the patients get. As trish said the patientsfood has to be low salt etc so that almost rules out adding any seasoning to it when it is being cooked, try cooking at home and not putting any salt in your spuds or in your eggs, you will get a pretty bland result.
    As for the coffey dock, the food cooked there is to the same standard you will get in a restaurant, it is all freshly cooked using fresh meat and veg. The only thing with the coffey dock is that you have to cook several portions at a time instead on a single portion in a restaurant.
    I would like to know how many people who criticise the hospital as being the worst in the world actually have any experience of other hospitals, I have limited experience with any other hospitals but Letterkenny has never stood out as exceptionally bad to me and I have seen it from the perpespective of staff, patient and visitor. If you go into Tescos you will find some really good, friendly staff and some terrible, ignorant staff, it is the same everywhere, it is human nature, nursing staff and doctors owe you nothing except to do their best to make you healthy again, it is up to them how nice a person they want to be but can you imagine working all the hours some of them do, dealing with all the patients and relatives they have to deal with, all thinking they are in most need of this doctor or nurses attention, could you maintain a happy face all day long?
    Maybe the doctor is after examining some kid in a wheelchair or something and then he has to look at you whinging about your sore knee, maybe he dosent have much sympathy for you at that minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Crotchety wrote: »
    I can see what you are saying but if the woman was in an all woman's ward then there should'nt be much of a problem. Older women look the same as younger women down there...just maybe more wrinkly or hairy.

Another point I would like to make is that the nurses are there to care for the patients needs - not to greet the visitors!

I certainly hope you dont work in the hospital, this statement only serves to back up my previous post!! And saying "Hello" to a stranger is considered natural in Donegal and long may it last!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

puffdragon wrote: »
    I certainly hope you dont work in the hospital, this statement only serves to back up my previous post!! And saying "Hello" to a stranger is considered natural in Donegal and long may it last!!

I do work in a hospital and have often dealt with older women during their toilet duties. They are never displayed in front of any men though. The men are told to get out of the ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

You know your right , It isnt fair to be complaining from here behind the comfortable anonimity of the keyboard,It was an isolated case and I havent seen any other incidents in the hospital other than that one time.
    You work in the hospital so from what I see on this forum you are aware that sometimes things arent as good as they should be but personally I withdraw my criticism as it seems now in hindsight to be unfair and wish you all the best .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I had the young fella in LGH for 3 days this week in the kids ward.

Cant have any complaints, staff were nice, helpful, attentive and helped out as much as they could. Its amazing how better kids are treated in hospitals these days. I have awful memories of Crumlin's Childrens Hospital back in 1980!

I found the general staff, cleaners, general aids, chefs and (unbelievably) the "entertainer" exceptional who all took time to have a little chat with the kids as they carried out their (often mundane) tasks.

Hospital looks a bit shabby and could do with some basics, paintwork and general maintenance but in all a thumbs up from me. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Crotchety wrote: »
    Ok. No worries.
    <SNIP>

That is highly offensive, frankly. And also it is dehumanising to speak like that of old and sick folk.

To me, that lack of respect for privacy and dignity and modesty is the worst thing on this thread. For helpless sick folk to be subjected to public exposure.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Have to agree with smashey had cause to be up there a few times this year. Nurses were fantastic. Pity they haven't got the background support that they so richly deserve.

With regard the kids having to go to hospital in Dublin a good example is demonstrated in the show I mentioned in the other thread here on Monday 13th July at 7.30 on RTE. A kid from letterkenny travelling on bus eireann for a 20 min appointment in Dublin. Ridiculous.

When we lived on an offshore island, we would be hours on the boat and see a consultant for maybe five minutes.

weiss wrote: »
    bit of a rant here, but i'm asking myself why the hell we bother paying taxes when its pissed down the drain for so-called "services"

i honestly feel like just getting away from this country for good.

its no-brainer to stay while our politicians are yet again off on holiday while this country falls apart..they would make you vomit.

Thankfully I have been able to stay clear of Irish hospitals after some of what I have heard. Lost count of the times someone has been sent home because the dr thought it was safer than being there.

Superbugs too etc.

But seemingly not a lot better elsewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lalalots

mate of mine has been in in out of lgh since halloween with an enlargged spleen, they still dont know what wrong with her,
    she was told a week before xmas that they were doing tests for cancer they believed that was what was wrong and doing the tests was just a formalaty,
    the whole family was told this, they cellabrated xmas as if that was her last, was a lot of tears and hart ake from every1, only to be told the week after xmas that no the tests had come back clear that she had no cancer,
    to this day they still dont know whats wrong they cant figgure out there arse from there elbow,

Advertisement