Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new to xbox... what games to buy???

• 11-07-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

hey im new to xbox atm! was just wondering what games i should buy to start me off?
    iv heard that the halo games are unbelievable but should i just buy halo3 straight away or would i need to play the first 2 first???
    also heard good things about Call of Duty, Need for Speed undercover and GTA4.. oppinions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

You sound like you're shooting for action games here, so the Halo series is a must. You can jump right into the third one if you wanna get right into the online multiplayer (I'm assuming you have or are getting Xbox Live in the future), but if you'd rather do the single player side of things, you'd be better off playing the first two to fully get a grasp of the story. If you could care less about the story though, you could disregard it completely and play it anyway, it's still a lot of fun, especially with friends, since it's 4 player co-op.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare would also be a great game to pick up, again for the multiplayer side of things, since it really set the bar as far as first person shooters go. The campaign is fun too, but it's relatively short and frustrating at times on the harder difficulties.

Have to ask yourself if you'll be playing online at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

ya i think il defo get halo3 straight away and hope that i wont be too lost by not getting the first 2!
    ya tbh i dont know much about xbox live:confused: so i dont know how to set it up or play games on it:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Gears Of War 1 and 2, Call Of Duty 4, Army of Two (I liked it but but alot of people dont) Left 4 Dead, GRID Racing Driver, Fallout 3, Crackdown, Spiderman Web of Shadows(The game is what all spiderman games should have been), Bioshock (I thought the game was a bit repeditive but its still worth a bash its cheap enough too), Far Cry2, Street Fighter 4.

All of the games above are well worth the money but the ones that have the sitcking power if you get a good group of friends together would have to be Gears of war 1 and 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

to be honest i wouldnt recommend halo 3 at all i was new to the xbox when it came out and i thought it was a must have but i was completely suprised how bad it was

i would go for Call of duty, gears of war and bioshock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

battlefield bad company, mass effect, brothers in arms hells highway, all call of duty games 2 - world at war, saints row 2 to be honest the list goes on and on and your lucky to be starting out now with so many bargains to be had!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm not exactly a big gamer,But i can say,Halo imo is crap,I think Army of two is good,COD WAW and COD 4 are great,just got Battlefield bad company,I like it,And Also download Battlfield 1942 like that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Op you caan download demo's for many of the titles mentioned even if you dont have a gold live account, so go nuts and see what you like before buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

cheers lads!
    how can i download these demo's???
    GTA4 is a definite anyway as im obsessed with the series!! probably get COD aswell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sweatingbullets

call of duty 4,fifa,guitar hero world tour,pro evolution soccer,hawx,ghost recon 1 & 2,rainbow six,splinter cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm not exactly a big gamer,But i can say,Halo imo is crap,I think Army of two is good,COD WAW and COD 4 are great,just got Battlefield bad company,I like it,And Also download Battlfield 1942 like that too

Something seriously wrong there if you think Army of Two surpasses the Halo series in any way, shape or form. I'm not even saying this as a fan, it's just common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Bruce Buffer

Not sure if you like your RPG's but Fallout 3 is a must buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

+1

Also Prototype is fantastic.

Halo is a pile of ****e, i also got that as my first Xbox game based on the hype but it was shockingly bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are much better off getting CoD 4 instead of Halo, it ****s all over Halo from a great height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I dont agree with some of the above posts, Halo 3 is amazing, theres still no other game on Xbox Live with the longevity of it, IN MY OPINION, I love COD4 aswell, and opinions, they are like ar$eholes, we all have them..... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only thing Halo beats it in is co-op. Haven't touched Halo in months and would be playing a lot more CoD4 if my stupid brother would get it back off his friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I got Crackdown cheap a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it; 10xfun than the incredibly overrated Halo 3. It's the first non-XBLA game on the XBox that I've really gotten into (I do most of my gaming on the PC, so have already played most of the Xbox "classics" such as Oblivion, Bioshock, etc, on that platform).

Oblivion is one of my favourite games, but that's on the PC where I play it with about 60+ mods. I'm not sure what the game is like vanilla and with a gamepad, but I'm sure it's still pretty good.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Something seriously wrong there if you think Army of Two surpasses the Halo series in any way, shape or form. I'm not even saying this as a fan, it's just common sense.

Halo is a crap game in the worst ways possible the graphics are on standard with the PS2 The gameplay is the same as all the other Halo games and is as repeditive as the weather for oxegen.

Army of Two is more enjoyable by a country mile end of:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Three words

Gears of War:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

ajeffares wrote: »
    Three words

Gears of War:D

I honestly don't get Gears of War. I mean, I like action games, and I even like dumb action games. When a mate first got his XBox, it was one of the games he borrowed, so we decided to give it a bash. 20 minutes later, we gave up out of sheer boredom. We started playing some Tiger Woods golf game in preference - and I _hate_ both sports games and gold.

I think the phrase "small walls simulator" was quite apt.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

You prob put the disk in wrong way!:D

• Advertisement

I didn't think too much of Gears of War 2. Thought the first one was far more superior. Have to agree and second Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Fallout 3.

Especially Fallout 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Halo and Bioshock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

All you need is Mass Effect, it will keep you going until Mass Effect 2 comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭budhabob

TheManWho wrote: »
    All you need is Mass Effect, it will keep you going until Mass Effect 2 comes out.

Maybe i should give mass effect another blast so, coulldnt get into it. Playing bad company now, think its a great game, its got wit, action and gold, what else you need. Also got to say far cry 2, took me a good few weeks to finish, in contrast finished both Res5 and COD WaW in just over a week each. Must find another game now that you get totally into and takes a few weeks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kowalski1979

I agree Fallout 3 is excellent. I really enjoyed Fable 2 as well it is a bit lighter and easier to get into than Fallout 3 if you haven't played RPG's before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Can we not get a sticky/poll of this question that seems to be asked every week?

Or at least go to metacritic.com

Advertisement