Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science Timetable

Options
  • 11-07-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi! I'm starting Social Science in Sept and have been looking through the various timetables for different modules - I'm a little confused about how they actually work and would appreciate if someone could explain?

According to the website for one particular module I will have Hrs/Semester Lectures22hrs, Seminar 5hrs, Specified Learning Activities 10hrs, Autonomous Student Learning 80hrs Total Workload 117

Lectures Semester 1 Offering 1Mon: 10:00-10:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)Lectures Semester 1 Offering 1Wed: 10:00-10:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Can I presume this means for this particular module i will have a lecture each monday and wednesday at these times for the first simester?

SeminarSemester 1 Offering 25 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)

SeminarSemester 1 Offering 26 Tue: 14:00-14:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)

SeminarSemester 1 Offering 27 Tue: 14:00-14:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)

This is where I am really confused do you need to attend all of these seminars on each of these weeks or do you choose one of the weeks from each group listed? For this module there are 29 different groups of seminars listed as above yet the workload is described as being 5 hours for seminars?

Hope I'm not appearing too silly asking this question!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

amtaxi wrote: »
    Can I presume this means for this particular module i will have a lecture each monday and wednesday at these times for the first simester?
    Yep.
    This is where I am really confused do you need to attend all of these seminars on each of these weeks or do you choose one of the weeks from each group listed? For this module there are 29 different groups of seminars listed as above yet the workload is described as being 5 hours for seminars?
    You just pick one of the 'offerings' listed, so if you picked Offering 25 you'll be in on Tuesdays at 9am in weeks 3, 5, 7, 10 and 12. From those lecture times I'm guessing it's a sociology module? There'll be about 400 people enrolled hence the huge amount of tutorial offerings (usually there's about 15 or so people enrolled in each tutorial grouping).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Thanks a million for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey just started my first semester of social science and have my first essay due next Monday! Im really nervous starting it and dont know where to begin. If anyone had any tips it would be greatly appreciated! The title of the essay is: Social policy as an academic subject is both descriptive and analytical. Discuss drawing on at least three academic references. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Go and see your lecturer and/or tutor as they would be the best ones to advise you on the essay and what books/articles are best to read.

Advertisement