Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing eircom router ?new code needed

Options
  • 11-07-2009 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

hi

aplolgies in advance if the answer to this is straightforward, but im a bit of a technophobe...

i moved house last week, and got the phoneline connected. eircom said they could not process teh order for teh broadband until the landline order was complete, and that there is then a ten working day wait for the broadband to be enabled.

i had previously moved house a year ago and was told teh same story, but the broadband started working well before the ten days. bearing this in mind, last week i connected the modem i had had in my old house, and hey presto it was working.

that was great until i knocked over and broke the modem! i had a spare one (because eircom sent me one on previous house move) so i connected that, but i cant get wireless broadband on it. if i use the LAN cable its fine, but cant get a wireless connection.

ive rung eircom, and been told that my broadband isnt due to be working till late next week, so they "wont even entertain" my query.

im just wondering if anyone here could tell me how to get my computer to recognise this new modem?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Have you checked if the WPA key is on a sticker under the modem? If its not there, connect to the routers config page and disable or reset the wpa. The chances are your pc is trying to use the code from the old router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

there is a serial no on it, an FCC registration no and another 8 digit code.
    how do i connect to the routers config page? (sorry, told u i was a technophobe !)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

sam34 wrote: »
    there is a serial no on it, an FCC registration no and another 8 digit code.
    how do i connect to the routers config page? (sorry, told u i was a technophobe !)

Plug router directly into pc via ethernet cable, go to url http://192.168.1.254 and click the wireless button on the lest hand menu, write down or change the code here & use that, Also make sure its using WPA and not WEP

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yoyo wrote: »
    Plug router directly into pc via ethernet cable, go to url http://192.168.1.254 and click the wireless button on the lest hand menu, write down or change the code here & use that, Also make sure its using WPA and not WEP

Nick

success!!

thank you so much.

me= happy camper

you = my hero :pac:

Advertisement