Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems Connecting: Netgear Wireless WGR614v9

• 11-07-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

A relative recently signed up for broadband with UPC and received this netgear wireless modem. They live in a modern apartment complex in the city centre - thin walls etc. The wireless signal cannot be picked up from their bedroom even though its less than 7 metres away and only 2 walls seperate the location of the router and the laptop. The signal deteriorates even 2 metres away.

Can any of ye give advice as to whether this G wireless router is the problem or whether there is something I can do to boost the signal? The laptop being used is brand new Acer and supports 802.11 a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

donnacha wrote: »
    A relative recently signed up for broadband with UPC and received this netgear wireless modem. They live in a modern apartment complex in the city centre - thin walls etc. The wireless signal cannot be picked up from their bedroom even though its less than 7 metres away and only 2 walls seperate the location of the router and the laptop. The signal deteriorates even 2 metres away.

Can any of ye give advice as to whether this G wireless router is the problem or whether there is something I can do to boost the signal? The laptop being used is brand new Acer and supports 802.11 a/b/g/Draft-N WLAN.

Can the signal be picked up in other parts of the house?
    If so what is the strength like?
    When you scan for networks are there many others seen?

It could ether be distance or interferrence depending on the ans to those questions. I would try scanning for other networks and checking their wifi channel, then changing your routers channel to the least congested band.

In vista open CMD and type ..... netsh.... now hit enter. Wait for netsh> to show up.
    Now type...wlan show networks mode=bssid.... this will show all the wifi networks in range, notice the channels they are using and try change your routers to a different one but also the least congested.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also would there be any other wireless gizmoz in the apt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

donnacha wrote: »

If you log on to Netgear Router configuration page and select Wireless and change the Wireless channel to say 4 or 7 and it just fix the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

thanks for the advice. i'll try this out during the week and let you know the results.

Advertisement