Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw problem.

Options
  • 11-07-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi. Yesterday I started my chainsaw for the first time in a couple of weeks. Once it started I left it running, put the chain brake on and went back inside for 5 minutes. I looked outside and saw a lot of smoke. I turned it off and the only damage was that the clutch cover was starting to melt and was too hot to touch. Does anyone know what I did to cause this? The cord to start it now cannot be pulled. I think I have an idea as to what happened but I would like to know from other people what they believed happened. I have been using chainsaws on and off for a good few years(mainly my father's) but I would not be an expert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gunth wrote: »
    Once it started I left it running, put the chain brake on and went back inside for 5 minutes.

The health & safety Gods made it seize.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gunth

Any chance the chainsaw gods might offer an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why did you leave it idling for 5 minutes?
    A saw only needs to warm up for 30-60 seconds, then start cutting.
    Sounds to me like the clutch bearing is damaged or siezed (have you greased it) and the saw was running on fast Idle, this allowed the clutch to engage and heat the clutch bell which was fixed by the chainbrake.
    Result Burnt clutch and melted clutch cover.
    As to what is wrong with the recoil starter, hard to say without seeing it.
    Saw could be siezed?
    Does it turn over if you pull the cover off and turn the flywheel by hand?
    Pull the muffler and look at the state of the piston below the rings, that will tell you the condition of the piston/cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

sounds to me like you'll need someone professional to take a look at it really. Had plenty of experience with chainsaws over the years and they can be finickedy when they go wrong. Just be careful is what I'd advise, remember they are pretty lethal things, so if your not pretty sure of what your doing, don't bother trying and get in touch with someone who does

Hey guys thanks for your responses. I will drop it into the experts this week as it is too dangerous a piece of equipment to be messing about with. The starter coil can be pulled once the cover has been removed fron the clutch area. The cover has melted inwards so this probably is the reason for me being unable to start it. I don't want to start it with this cover removed as this piece is attached to the chainbrake. The chainsaw in question is a Husqvarna 142.

• Advertisement

What has happened is that when you started the saw it runs at a fast idle until you rev it.
    Normal Idle is not fast enough to allow the centrifugal clutch to engage, but fast idle will spin the crank fast enough that the shoes will engage the clutch bell.
    When you left it with the chainbrake on, and fast idling the shoes were trying to spin the clutch, which was fixed because of the chainbrake being on.
    This makes lots of heat and has damaged the chainbrake/clutch cover.
    You need a new clutch cover and it will be OK, I would imagine.
    Don't idle saws any more than you need to, as I said 30 seconds warm up and start cutting gently then after 60 secs cut as hard as you want.

Thank you CJhaughey for your advice. I don't think I could have got that level of detail anywhere else. Much appreciated. I have now gone back to my original course of action and that is to replace the cover and start it and hopefully it will be fine.

Does anyone know if you source Husqvarna parts from Husqvarna in Ireland or do you have to go through a middleman where everyone adds a little extra onto the price? I searched for the part that I need online and I can source it secondhand in the USA but I would like another option. It would be great to be able to buy it new or else in very good condition.

I am not sure what saw you have, I don't recall husky making a 142, they made a 41, 42, a 242xp and a 141 but never a 142 AFAIR.
    Have you any more details and maybe I can help.

Hi CJhaughey. I imported it from the US last year. It is a HUSQVARNA 142 2.2HP 16" GAS CHAINSAW.

• Advertisement

That saw is made in the same factory as Poulan, many of the Poulan parts will fit it, I don't think parts for that saw will be easy to get here, you are probably best to try getting it from the US as it was a US market saw.
    I wouldn't spend too much on it.

Cheers again. Will see if it is the same piece as the Poulan.

When you say not to spend too much on it, do you mean on the part or the saw? Would the Husqvarna not be considered a great saw? Don't worry about offending me it is only the saw that we are talking about. :D

TBH that series of small saws, 136,137, 140, 141, etc etc were not great machines and tend to run badly and are problematic to tune correctly.
    If you go spending $40+ for a clutch cover + postage @$15 or so then it is getting expensive for a maybe fix it solution.
    Take the clutch cover off and the bar and chain and see if it starts, don't rev it too much or the clutch could come off and run away!
    If the saw still works then if you are confident get a cover, poulan wildthing will fit IIRC, but they are purple.
    Some craftsman saws are the same fitting as well.
    There is a guy in the North Desmond Wightman who sells husky stuff ARB Ireland is his shop, he may be able to help.

I know that clutch covers are pricey enough, the last one I bought was 100stg for one of my saws.

Thanks for the advice. When I first got the chainsaw and saw the plastic housing I had a fair idea that it would have a limited shelflife. Unlike the chainsaws of 15 years ago which had metal housing and were solid and they could take a lot of abuse easily. The only disadvantage was that they weighed a tonne after awhile!
    The 142 is only used for very light work. It is very light in weight and I have only used it on a few occasions over the past year. As I said at the start it is very delicate.
    Thanks for the advice on starting it. I will remove the chain and bar and will try to start it. If this is not a success I will drop it into the professionals. I do like a challenge though!

Advertisement