Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English-History-G&R...?

• 11-07-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey,

So, atm I'm awaiting my results :eek:.. So soon... Anyway, Maynooth Arts is down as my first and I'm just kinda making up my mind on what to do..

At the mo I'm thinking of English with either History or Greek & Roman Civilizations. The subject I'll most likely drop after first year will be a language, probably French or Spanish or even Basque (depending on whether I do History or G&R). I'd absolutely love to do French for the three years but I'm worried about what'll happen if I don't go abroad since it is necessary.:confused: It'll have been a waste really...

I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing this kinda mixture. There's a lot in the subjects so I'm trying to get an idea of the workload and how people are enjoying the courses.. I love those subjects so I'm confident enough I will enjoy studying them, just looking for any input from those who've done/are doing them.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the advantage of doing english history ,is that you half way there,no foreign words to learn ,and english history is well documented,i did.you can even put your own imprint on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

G+R always sounded great. The students always seemed pretty happy to be doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I did English, History and G&R in first year. I loved all three of the subjects, but I loved G&R too much that I couldn't stand studying it. But that was just my own love vs my desire to actually work!!! I've heard (and experienced) that G&R Is great, the lecturers really care and are just a little bit mad so the lectures are always good fun! It is a lot of work though and I couldn't imagine doing it with History or English in final year, I'd say the work load is ridiculous and I just got my results in English and History which was hard enough in itself!

With regards the language my room-mate did German, History and English. She dropped history in first year as she wants to be a teacher and wanted to keep German. She's in Munich at the moment and loving it! But the year away isn't compulsory and while most people do it to improve their language skills as long as you work hard you should be grand!

Best of luck, and enjoy the best three years of your life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I did English, History and Geography.

I dropped English as soon as I could. It was my favourite subject in school but at third level I simply hated it. History however was great and I'm hoping to start a PhD in the next year. My brother did G & R and absolutely loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jaydoubleyoubee

I started with English, Geography and Computer Science, swiftly changing Computer Science to History after I discovered I hated it as a subject. I had been expecting to continue English and Geography in seconfd year, but as first year flew by I saw myself enjoying History a lot more. However as a lot of my friends did G+R I sat in on some of the lectures and I always regretted not doing it. You usually have about a month to change your mind, so I would reccomend that you initially sign up for whichever subject you prefer now, and attend both sets of lectures, History and G+R, for a week or so and see which attracts you more. Geography and English were my subjects of choice at leaving cert level, with English being my favourite. I never did History for the LC but it's now my favourite subject in college and I'm going into third year in maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

If you want to take French then do it. You're required to spend 3 months in a french speaking country but this doesn't have to be all in one go. You can a month and then a fortnight and then 3 weeks spread out over the three years.

I also agree with HyperSquirrel. I've just finished first year english. Loved it in school and was good at it but it's a completely different story in college.

You have like 3 weeks at the start of the year (if not more) before you have to nail in your choices. Make the most of this and go to as many lectures as you can before you make your final decision. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sarah Louise

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated :)

I think if I get a place I'm gonna try defer it a year and see if I can make some way on my preferred path. I'm torn though because the courses sound so great! I've been going back and forth for so long about it. Might aswell make a go of it! But Maynooth will definitely stay in my mind for next year. :D

Thanks again for your input. The three options sound brilliant. It'll be hard if I have to decide but at least there's a trial time. I didn't know about the French abroad time, that you could spread it out. That makes it a whole lot easier to imagine happening now! :) Thanks for that Michellenman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sarah Louise

I got Arts in Maynooth!!!! :D

Okay.. After much time of confusion about what I wanted to do, the scholar in me won hands down! I'll be starting in Maynooth about this time next month! I can't wait!!

I'm still town between English, History, G&R and French though haha.. Thinking I'll leave Franch out atm.. It'll still be hard to pick which one to drop though :confused::p Hehe..

Thanks for your help. I can't wait to get to the lectures and see what they're all like. Hopefully they'll help me make a decision and not just make me wanna do them all even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Congrats on getting your place in Maynooth!

I can't remember if anyone told you but in arts as a first year there's two week of a grace period where you can go to all the lectures (even outside your choice subjects) so you can get the feel for what each module is going to be like. You will also need to get your hands on a timetable (you get them at registration) and you might find that there's a clash in your subjects, can't see it happening with the subjects you've chosen, but that might force your hand a little bit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I can't be the only person who thought you were going to be talking about Guns N' Roses no?

*phones taxi*

• Advertisement
Advertisement