Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedics course

Options
  • 11-07-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone who can help me out. My sister in law wants to do a course to train to be a paramedic working on ambulances. She doesnt know if the course she is going to do in Dun Laighaire is the right one and the open day is not till September.Maybe someone can help us out with a few questions.

1. where is the best place to do a course.
    2. will she get a job on an ambulance
    3. does anyone know any websites where we can look that can answer our questions.

If anyone can help i would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You're probably be better off searching or posting in the Emergency Services forum than here, or getting this thread moved over there. There should be some regular posters over there who are qualified in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

THere are loads the thread in the ES sub fora recruitment.

But the gust of it is, Paramedic is typicaly a HSE employee and you apply throught them, the Private course i EMT level, and you may get a job in a private, but it starting to look less likly, all the vol ambulances are now training to this level and they will have exp and qual to get the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I presume its the fire and ambulance course in SCD you're talking about? I did that, it's a decent course, though not as practical or in depth as you might think. The EMT part of it is good, cheaper than if you applied directly to the IATI. The course is good to show your interest in the area and is something to impress the panel when you go for interview.

As said above, the private ambulance companies (who only really do patient transfers, not 999 work) are the only real source of full time work for an EMT, but I don't know any that are recruiting atm and as said above, the area is becoming oversaturated with EMTs looking for what little work there is. There are already an extra 30 odd who just completed the EMT in Dun Laoghaire who will be all looking for work soon (to add to the 300 and growing already out there).

With regards Paramedic level and 999 work, currently you can only do that through the HSE national ambulance service or Dublin Fire Brigade, who rarely recruit. Keep an eye out in the papers for the next recruitment. Could be years away though.

Advertisement