Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare wrongful?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I have a question to ask, I'm nearly 19 and have been let go from my workplace, signed on the dole on the 29th of April this year. Now i only receive E100 a week which cant possible last anybody. I have read on the official welfare site that this system takes place on may 1st onwards. So do you think i should go to the welfare officer and tell him im entitled to the full benefit? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There was a change made to social welfare payments in the last budget. I'm not sure exactly but I think that under 21s get 100 a week. I don't think that signing on a few days before it came into effect will change things for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Would be a lot more suited to the State Benefits forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So you're on Job seekers allowance

It seems to me that you have an excellent case:
    Supplementary Budget April 2009, announced a number of changes to Jobseeker's Allowance for new claimants under 20 years of age. The changes are as follows:

The personal rate of Jobseeker’s Allowance will be reduced to €100 per week for new claimants under 20 years of age (first week of May 2009). The maximum Increase for a Qualified Adult payable to a new Jobseeker’s Allowance claimant aged under 20 will also be reduced to €100 per week (first week of May 2009). However, there are some exceptions - see 'Rates' below.

If you are under 20 and getting Jobseeker's Allowance before the first week of May you will not be affected by these changes.

Go back to your office and get someone to review your claim, it may have just been a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 82,789 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

on a side note its about time they lowered some of those rates, ought to clear up a lot of those couch junkies.

Im with Mike though. Head to your local and have someone review your specific situation. Theyre used to whiney people, just be polite and professional, or I imagine they will brush you off like shyte on the bottom of their shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cobbles

Thanks people, i knew i was right to take action against this. This website is great i got replies within minutes. thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Have a chat with them and see was it a mistake as you had claimed before then.

I think in fairness they would prefer if people of that age group went to college or did some form of education. I went to university and got a grant of 70 a week. Some people I knew didn't go because they figured they were better off on the max dole than struggling on a student grant!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI, might get more help here.

Advertisement