Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Chorus ntl MMDS service in Cork city

Options
  • 11-07-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm posting here out of desperation; I hope someone here can help me!

I've recently moved into a new apartment in Cork city. It's a block that's about 10 years old. When I saw the place I was told that it was wired up for Chorus TV and that satellite dishes were not allowed.

It took two calls to UPC Sales before they could even locate my apartment on their system. They said my block is MMDS and I cannot avail of broadband or phone services. However, they also said that to install the MMDS TV would require installation of a satellite.

Now if dishes are forbidden, how do I go about installing TV? The Chorus ntl sales rep also listed other apartments that are UPC customers and I don't see satellites on any of their walls.

I feel a bit strange knocking on doors asking new neighbours how they receive TV but I really want an answer as it's my first time living on my own and I'm afraid I'll crack up without a decent choice of TV channels.

By the way, if it's any help, the TV "socket" in my apartment is a funny "screwed" one that pokes out of the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Check the sky website , I think they have something for those buildings that can't put up dishes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC (Chorus) MMDS is based around DVB-T which is the same technology used for terrestrial digital television for services like FreeView in the UK, only it is a private encrypted network which you have to pay to access.

There is possibly a single shared MMDS antenna or something like that on the roof which feeds into your apartment through that little screw-on F-Connector on the wall.

The channel line-up is pretty poor compared to cable.

Advertisement