Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage problem, need advice

Options
  • 11-07-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I need some advice about drainage.
    Basically my back garden has none. I havent mowed the lawn in 2 mths and its not growing, grass is gone yellow cause every time we get rain it floods.
    If you dig down about 8-10 inches its like a brick. It looks like
    when the house was being built a bed of sand was put down that got
    compacted and is like rock.
    So the water just sits on top and is drowning the grass.
    The builder is coming back to fix it.
    I'd love for the whole lot to be dug up and done properly but thats not happening.
    I've attached a few bad drawings. 1st one is what they want to do, 2nd is my idea.
    They want to put a run off in one corner of the garden and feed it into the sewage system.
    Id rather they did something in the middle of the garden, where they dug
    down past the compacted sand layer.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hard work is not my speciality :)

but... I did google for you - drainage problems lawns -

there are lots of sites, good few irish ones, my advice would be for you to read up on all the different options and see which one sounds most suitable/practical/economical for your site.

Get it sorted properly now as if not it will keep happening and could actually cause damage to your house!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Someone put up a guide here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

We followed the instructions and haven't had a problem since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You need to deep plough the land to break up the "bowl" under the lawn that is trapping the water.

As for draining into the sewerage system, if this is a public system, then it would need the Council's permission as most sewerage schemes separate surface water from foul sewage. If this is your own private septic tank, then you run the risk of flooding the tank when it rains and having raw sewage all over your garden.

Soak pits or drainage channels to a nearby ditch/river is also a way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You need to deep plough the land to break up the "bowl" under the lawn that is trapping the water.

As for draining into the sewerage system, if this is a public system, then it would need the Council's permission as most sewerage schemes separate surface water from foul sewage. If this is your own private septic tank, then you run the risk of flooding the tank when it rains and having raw sewage all over your garden.

Soak pits or drainage channels to a nearby ditch/river is also a way to go.

Compaction can cause surface flooding, and removing the cause will resolve much of your problems. Areas prone to flooding, the grey water ie Surface water/rain can be run into foul system so long as adequate precautions have been incorporated.

Soak pits are fine for small localised incidents and are frequently used for small problems, and if possible ideally the water should be diverted off site. IMO pits are limited in scope and not ideal long term solutions especially in smaller sites.

Advertisement