Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage approval whille still married

Options
  • 11-07-2009 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I'm not legally separated or divorced.
    Currently living with my partner for last 4 years.
    EBS approved our mortgage,contracts have been signed and EBS is now re-thinking whole situation.This is giving me heart attack..
    My question is :
    Was anybody approved for mortgage with different partner then a husband.?
    I know people going to ask why I didnt divorce or separated/but this is a different story ..I just could'nt but im planning to do so in a near future...So please dont judge me..Just trying to find out if anyone in the same situation...
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stam1122 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not legally separated or divorced.
    Currently living with my partner for last 4 years.
    EBS approved our mortgage,contracts have been signed and EBS is now re-thinking whole situation.This is giving me heart attack..
    My question is :
    Was anybody approved for mortgage with different partner then a husband.?
    I know people going to ask why I didnt divorce or separated/but this is a different story ..I just could'nt but im planning to do so in a near future...So please dont judge me..Just trying to find out if anyone in the same situation...
    Thank you

Legally your husband or wife will entitled to 50% of the property- and could petition to have the property disposed of. I can well understand why EBS are having second thoughts......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stam1122

Thank you...
    acording to solicitor as this is not a family home he ever lived in he wont be entiteled to anything..Only if I die he could claim 50% even I have will made to my partner.but im sure i will be divorced or separated before i die...
    I know nobody is sure of their death....I can see a point ,dont understand why they approve and let us sign all documents and then hesitate....
    Really stressed but buying a house is never stress free anyway.
    Solicitor said 1 in 10 get refused in situation like this..
    So chance are still high...
    Didnt find anything on the net which would be same case as mine but i dont believe that im the first married person to apply for mortgage with different partner.
    Thank you...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stam1122 wrote: »
    Thank you...
    acording to solicitor as this is not a family home he ever lived in he wont be entiteled to anything..Only if I die he could claim 50% even I have will made to my partner.but im sure i will be divorced or separated before i die...
    I know nobody is sure of their death....I can see a point ,dont understand why they approve and let us sign all documents and then hesitate....
    Really stressed but buying a house is never stress free anyway.
    Solicitor said 1 in 10 get refused in situation like this..
    So chance are still high...
    Didnt find anything on the net which would be same case as mine but i dont believe that im the first married person to apply for mortgage with different partner.
    Thank you...

The existence of a will specifying an estate distribution other than to a legal partner- can be overruled by family law- and up to 1/3 of an estate awarded to an estranged partner.

Whether or not he would be entitled to anything in the current situation- would have to be decided in a court- and would in all probability end up in court. He probably would loose- but its grey enough an area.

If I were a mortgage lender- I'm really sorry- but I wouldn't be happy to lend you money for an asset like this- until you regularised your status with your current partner, and indeed clarified the position with the estranged husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stam1122

Thanx again....
    I will post on Monday when I get final reply from EBS if im still alive.....
    Thank you very much for your opinion...
    Hopefully the bank manager will vote in our favor but i'm not confident at all.

Advertisement