Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Street Opens

Options
  • 11-07-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Sense prevails at last - it seems O'Connell Street will be opened to traffic.

Local authority's in their infinite wisdom and sagacity. Ehh. What a giraffe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Hooray we are chased back to the small pavements!!! Shopping in sligo will be even more fun!! That's us going to Enniskillen.

They do everything in their power to make shopping as unpleasant as possible in sligo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A very retrograde and backward step for Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Don't see how it will affect shopping dramatically.

If you fancy travelling across the Border then I think the alleged price differential in Enniskillen is a bigger factor. If people want to go have a shopping 'experience', I really don't see it at Enniskillen. Poxy car-parking, higgled, piggled, streets,tired and dated Shopping Centre etc, nice Main Street admitted.

Off you go to Enniskillen for your bargain-hunting I say. Most working people don't really have luxury of a three-hour round trip jaunt to fair Caitlin's bhaile -- I am all for choice -- but if you simple desire a bit of knock-down value just go to the premises near Brown's Field.

Aside to this, I do think that the requirements of people [particularly Sligo motorists in the East Ward] who actually live in the Borough are of a higher regard that those outside, and the 'shopping tantalise argument'.

Re dramatic 'kettling' of pedestrians -- can you supply one example in the last 30 years where a pedestrian was injured/hit (even in the absence of zebra crossings) on a two lane O'Connell St. I think you'll find the answer is no -- but I am open to correction.

Re retrograde step -- beware of reversing drivers and motorists driving in a Continental manner aka proceeding on the right-hand lane.

Simple fact remains -- the street was closed for pedestrianisation, however Celtic Tiger taxes are kaput -- so it is not going to happen.

I feel in this instance fair and wise Burghers closed our Main Street (which has little architectural and cultural appeal, with exception of South End of Street) -- indeed it was a little tragic viewing some of the daily imbibers of Dr Guinness outside a certain hostelry) with a pretty pedestrian pace scheme for its enhancement, but finance never became a reality and ergo a classic 'put the cart before the horse' scenario.

Well done Sligo Borough, three wasted years of chronic traffic congestion and a dismal looking main street. I for one, along with most right-minded people I have spoken to, think it is the only sensible option.

But I suspect there's a few cyber-motorists living on Utopia Boulevard will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Should be open for traffic when the schools are open, ie. During Sept-May, Mon -Fri.

Simple.

The pavements are just to crampt, specially when you walk with a pram and a kid. I didn't reallise the ammount of accident is important on how good pavements are. In time of recession and losing a lot of bussiness to the North and Carrick on Shannon (not that the pavements are any better there but at least you can park at the all 3 supermarkets) you should think about the shopping experience.

Shopping in sligo never has been a good experience but people really try to make it even worse by opening o'connel street for traffic.

The really nice terraces will be gone too. A gaint leap back.

Enniskillen was always better for choice and customer service, the price is not that much of a difference. But at least you can park for not to much. Pavement are twice the size.

Sligo really lost me completly now, not going for any shopping again. Carrick is better for parking aswell, so the weekly shop will be there or Enniskillen.

Very dissapointed. Now all we need is that western road coz god forbid that somebody has to drive a few streets around or have a 15 minutes delay.

• Advertisement

Should be open for traffic when the schools are open, ie. During Sept-May, Mon -Fri.

Simple.

Very good solution!!! Simple and good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

<snip>

But I suspect there's a few cyber-motorists living on Utopia Boulevard will disagree.

A very real motorist, living on a very real street,and the real world result of this decision is I will be a lot less likely to browse through one side of the street while walking down the other.

As an aside, this will also leave a lot less room to aviod the charity clipboard terrorists, another reason I'll be avoiding the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

If you fancy travelling across the Border then I think the alleged price differential in Enniskillen is a bigger factor. If people want to go have a shopping 'experience', I really don't see it at Enniskillen. Poxy car-parking, higgled, piggled, streets,tired and dated Shopping Centre etc, nice Main Street admitted.

Off you go to Enniskillen for your bargain-hunting I say. Most working people don't really have luxury of a three-hour round trip jaunt to fair Caitlin's bhaile -- I am all for choice -- but if you simple desire a bit of knock-down value just go to the premises near Brown's Field.

Aside to this, I do think that the requirements of people [particularly Sligo motorists in the East Ward] who actually live in the Borough are of a higher regard that those outside, and the 'shopping tantalise argument'.

Re dramatic 'kettling' of pedestrians -- can you supply one example in the last 30 years where a pedestrian was injured/hit (even in the absence of zebra crossings) on a two lane O'Connell St. I think you'll find the answer is no -- but I am open to correction.

Re retrograde step -- beware of reversing drivers and motorists driving in a Continental manner aka proceeding on the right-hand lane.

Simple fact remains -- the street was closed for pedestrianisation, however Celtic Tiger taxes are kaput -- so it is not going to happen.

I feel in this instance fair and wise Burghers closed our Main Street (which has little architectural and cultural appeal, with exception of South End of Street) -- indeed it was a little tragic viewing some of the daily imbibers of Dr Guinness outside a certain hostelry) with a pretty pedestrian pace scheme for its enhancement, but finance never became a reality and ergo a classic 'put the cart before the horse' scenario.

Well done Sligo Borough, three wasted years of chronic traffic congestion and a dismal looking main street. I for one, along with most right-minded people I have spoken to, think it is the only sensible option.

a dismal looking main street
    I agree. I had not been down O'Connell Street for months - shop in the North - but walked along it last week and it was very shabby. Where did the €700,000 the council claim to have spent on it go?
    Wine Street car park was a shock too with lots of empty units. Yet the planners would not allow a bookies to open there because it is a "high-quality" area. :confused:

Tulip, the point regarding non-existent accidents, is to highlight that your your demonstrative language re cramped footpaths etc, whilst a plaintive cry from the heart, doesn't hold much water.

Re retrograde step - I fail to see how. In any event, back in the boring real world, there simply wasn't/isn't deniros to finance the scheme.

Allied with this, as I said the proposal for O'Connell Street was utterly pedestrian in the literal and methaphoric.

I am all for pedestrianisation of Sligo, but I in this instance I am glad to see it consigned to the bin of Sligo Borough's many other pathetic ill-thought-out and mundane schemes.

If as you suppose this scheme was a panacea from Sligo's perceived inability to compete with Coraig Droma Ruisc and Caithlin's Baile, then stakeholders ie Tesco et al should/would have weighed in behind it but they didn't, that in itself is telling.

Civic/commercial leadership is required -- but this scheme was a joke from the onset.

You say Enniskillen is superior, I don't agree. There it lies. Anyways the old Sligo v Enniskillen shopping debate, which has been a bargain-hunters Sligo phenomena since the 1930s, is a misnomer and a side issue, to knub of this issue.

In any event, there is an element of a compromise with the street been converted to a one-lane straid with €100,000 being spent -- this I believe is what should have happened in first place.

Regarding a seasonal closing/opening -- this is impractical and ineffective, as school runs are from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and obviously staggered after lunch. So I don't see the logic at all in regulating the traffic in such a manner.

Once the Western By Pass and the Buckley's Ford Bridge (admittedly an ostentatious and garish piece of engineering) are in place, because Sligo town's population will not grow beyond 25,000 in next 20/30 years, traffic management should be on a proporational basis more tolerable, particularly at peak times.

Tulip, the point regarding non-existent accidents, is to highlight that your your demonstrative language re cramped footpaths etc, whilst a plaintive cry from the heart, doesn't hold much water.

So the footpaths are fine? who is living in lala land now?

Demostrative language is more your department.

Doesn't hold much water? there is hardly enough space to pass each other. Unless ofcourse you like being poked in the eye by umbrella's in that case you're right.

And read sligo brewers post again and you will see your answer on that is strange. He ment open it from monday to friday evening. And close it off the rest of the time.

I'm very happy for you that you're be able to save 5 minutes on your trip. I'm very happy to go up north again and they just had me back. Enniskillen is superior for choice and parking there is hardly denying that, but in your rant your forgot that I mentioned Carrick on Shannon aswell which is also superior.

• Advertisement

So much for the image of the archetypal chilled Orange-men!

Anyways, irrespective of rants on this board, it appears that the road will be opened.

Shelly: what is your source on this: or is it just the ever reliable word on the street?

So much for the image of the archetypal chilled Orange-men!

That's just an image we created to the outside world, in reality we're fat up that the rest of the world doesn't realise that we're always right!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Shelly: what is your source on this: or is it just the ever reliable word on the street?

It was in the Sligo Post on Wednesday. They say it could be open by December I think,I didn't read the article.

I went to Carrick On Shannon on Saturday morning,the place was buzzing.The retail park there is great and they have Tesco amongst Heatons and Woodies so why can't our Sligo lot let a supermarket into the Carraroe retail park?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I went to Carrick On Shannon on Saturday morning,the place was buzzing.The retail park there is great and they have Tesco amongst Heatons and Woodies so why can't our Sligo lot let a supermarket into the Carraroe retail park?

We had that discusion before, basicly the chamber of commerce won't let it happen. To great anoyance of lots of people except jimmmy.

I also found out that M&S are blocked from the retail park.They were trying to open a store up there.
    I like O'Connell Street been closed to traffic, who cares if you have to sit in traffic for an extra few minutes. I doubt it will benefit businesses either as the Bistro Bianconi, Cafe Fleur and possible one or two more have a few seats outside for their customers.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I also found out that M&S are blocked from the retail park.They were trying to open a store up there.
    I like O'Connell Street been closed to traffic, who cares if you have to sit in traffic for an extra few minutes. I doubt it will benefit businesses either as the Bistro Bianconi, Cafe Fleur and possible one or two more have a few seats outside for their customers.

They blocked M&S? Somebody really hates sligo and made it in chamber of commerce or councel just to make sure it will stay miserable. That's my theory!

But your right, I think a lot of people won't like it when it's back open and there is really no gain for traffic. It saves driving two extra streets and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I also found out that M&S are blocked from the retail park.
    The developer of the warehouse park at Carraroe knew all along , from before it was granted planning permission and it was grazing cattle to now , that no supermarket would ever be allowed there. Its even an integral part of the development plan for the county.
    They were trying to open a store up there.
    Never ! Why would they want to move to an almost empty location / warehouse park miles from the town centre , and which has proved to be an unsuccessful location for many other businesses ? M+S may yet come to Sligo. If they do come to a town of 19,000 people, rest assured the location will be important to them...they would not want to be on top of a windy hill a few miles from the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

jimmmy wrote: »
    The developer of the warehouse park at Carraroe knew all along , from before it was granted planning permission and it was grazing cattle to now , that no supermarket would ever be allowed there. Its even an integral part of the development plan for the county.

Never ! Why would they want to move to an almost empty location / warehouse park miles from the town centre , and which has proved to be an unsuccessful location for many other businesses ? M+S may yet come to Sligo. If they do come to a town of 19,000 people, rest assured the location will be important to them...they would not want to be on top of a windy hill a few miles from the town centre.

I don't agree.
    Monsenior Horan built an International Airport on top of a windy hill ... population 9 cows and 3 horses....currently doing 600,000+ passengers per year. Up 13% in 2008. Still the same old windy hill.

If the product is good enough and accessible enough, people will come.

• Advertisement

Culchie wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    Monsenior Horan built an International Airport on top of a windy hill ... population 9 cows and 3 horses....currently doing 600,000+ passengers per year. Up 13% in 2008. Still the same old windy hill.

If the product is good enough and accessible enough, people will come.

That's so true. The sligo retail park doesn't even has a bus going to it! Not that I would ever use a bus, but there might people that do or want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Without going off on a tangent talking about Knock airport ( which would not have been the success it is without massive government help ) I think the siting of an airport is different to that of a retail unit. In property , ever hear the old adage " location, location, location " ?
    However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Town planners and politicians however are the one who make the decisions ...M+S are generally not found on the top of windy hills but instead in towns and cities....and Sligo is not big enough to support another town centre two miles away out at Carraroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You are very right Culchie.

People are crying out for jobs and yet the chamber are still turning down shops....madness.

Without going off on a tangent talking about Knock airport ( which would not have been the success it is without massive government help ) I think the siting of an airport is different to that of a retail unit. In property , ever hear the old adage " location, location, location " ?
    However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Town planners and politicians however are the one who make the decisions ...M+S are generally not found on the top of windy hills but instead in towns and cities....and Sligo is not big enough to support another town centre two miles away out at Carraroe.

I think you miss the point, if you have anything good enough any where people will travel (think of restaurants, theme parks, but also shops). That's why Carrick is buzzing and sligo is not. M&S is often also in malls out side of town centers, Dundee, Glasgow, London and even Enniskillen (and yes enniskilen is so small you can walk it but nobody does coz there is a carpark there)

And unless The Blachards Town center is in the middle of a town there is a M&S in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sligo is not big enough to support another town centre two miles away out at Carraroe.

Sligo doesn't HAVE a town centre ...not one that you can get to anyway.
    Parking, if you can get it, costs an arm and a leg. If you visit several shops all over town, you face a balancing act with your shopping bags on overcrowded sidewalks, constantly at danger of falling into traffic (now to be re-introduced to O'Connel Street), buildings are falling apart, everything is a rush ...nowhere to sit and relax and watch the world go by.

All in all, shopping in Sligo is such a bad experience that I do it but once a year when I need new clothes.

The way to do it:
    Close most of the town to all through traffic, pedestrianise as much as possible, widen Hughes bridge to four lanes each side and make it the only bridge in town ...the rest is residents and deliveries(both with permits) only.

Allow two supermarkets in or near the retail park to attract people there and then ....offer a free bus service every five minutes right smack into the town centre (with several stops there) from the free park&ride at the retail park.

But that would make sense, so it can not, must not be done in Sligo

peasant wrote: »
    Sligo doesn't HAVE a town centre ...not one that you can get to anyway.
    Parking, if you can get it, costs an arm and a leg. If you visit several shops all over town, you face a balancing act with your shopping bags on overcrowded sidewalks, constantly at danger of falling into traffic (now to be re-introduced to O'Connel Street), buildings are falling apart, everything is a rush ...nowhere to sit and relax and watch the world go by.

All in all, shopping in Sligo is such a bad experience that I do it but once a year when I need new clothes.

The way to do it:
    Close most of the town to all through traffic, pedestrianise as much as possible, widen Hughes bridge to four lanes each side and make it the only bridge in town ...the rest is residents and deliveries(both with permits) only.

Allow two supermarkets in or near the retail park to attract people there and then ....offer a free bus service every five minutes right smack into the town centre (with several stops there) from the free park&ride at the retail park.

But that would make sense, so it can not, must not be done in Sligo

Thank you, my sentiments exactly!!

I and I'm sure several other members don't want to go into this conversation/debate again.
    We have had numerous threads about it and all have been successful so why start it again.
    This thread is about O'Connell Street re-opening and that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I live on the east ward of the town, and I work on the far side of it. Although I stand to benefit from the street being opened, as its easier for me to nip down there on the way to work, I think the notion of re-opening this street is a joke and should be avoided.

The footpaths are too narrow to accommodate the volume of people that are now using the street, and now they will have to contend with one lane of traffic. One lane or not, i don't care, its enough.

This will also cause traffic problems as there was before. Historically the volume of traffic going down the street would back up past the corner at the top of the street. This caused tailbacks around the ring of the town and caused havoc. So think of this, and then add to this the fact that there will only be one lane to handle the traffic and not two and I can see some problems here...

Declan Bree was at my door canvassing for the elections and he tried to tell me that this wouldn't be a problem, and that people that were used to using the current traffic flows so they wouldn't divert to old habits. Now, even though I have my opinions on this, I can categorically tell you that I will be going back to the old and going down the street to get to work, simply because its handier.

Sorry, this is a bad bad bad idea. O'Connell Street should stay pedestrianized, even if the council are too broke to pay for the proper refurbishment. Where is the logic in spending 100K on it now to re-open it to traffic, so it can be closed again and re-developed when we have money? Oh Please! even in these tight financial times people are still throwing away money..

Bloody Ridiculous!

It would appear the majority of the people on this thread aren't alone in their opposition:

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhidojojsn

Excerpt:
    O’CONNELL Street traders say reopening the street would be a retrograde step and that both the traders and the public are in favour of pedestrianisation and see it’s of no benefit to the town to have cars filing through the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I mean if they reopen the street what does it say about Sligo as a town and we as its population? We did not even close it properly. Four temp pillars either end of the street and some trees in boxes appears to be the total effort of the corpo. Rest assured though that a million quid has disappeared in the process and now they want to reverse the decision. If it was not true it would be funny. This town and its administrators need a long cold shower and re-emerge with eyes open and a focus on what will be the best way to tackle the circumstances of the current and future econimic climate we have to survive in. I recall somthing insane like a 2 million euro estimate for cobble locking the street in order to make it 'pedestrianised'! A budget like that would do the entire town rather than a single street if we lived in any other EU country.

The retail park, Lissadell house, O'Connell Street... what are we like???

Advertisement