Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some "interesting" videos...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

VizardAnto wrote: »
    Subtitle should've been "Believe".

Man, Mike seems like a cool guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 deeds372

VizardAnto wrote: »

GOOD DOC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

If only a character lasted long enough in that situation that you could almost run down the entire clock in a single combo.
    Though the time it would take to build the 5 initial meters would probably be enough to seal it, even with Marvel seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 deeds372

Dreddybajs wrote: »

i thought id love marvel, but its just too god damn crazy!:rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

How can people not like this game? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Personally, becasue its online "mode" has less functionality than an ipad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Because I was able to triple my success rate at the game by picking Wolverine without ever going to the training room with him.

Because sitting in long chain combos is about as fun as getting a spinal tap.

Because the entire game is built around probably the nastiest comeback mechanic I've seen.

Because it's blatantly clear nothing in the game outside of the core game itself was finished on release. It's online is like something from the 90's (can't find someone to play? Back two menues for you!)

... that said, I have fun playing it, but acting like there's no problems with the game isn't a strong position :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    How can people not like this game? :eek:

fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

My only three problems with Marvel is that I have no idea what to do, what's happening or why it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

My only three problems with Marvel is that I have no idea what to do, what's happening or why it's happening.

Learning how to play it remedies this.

Because I was able to triple my success rate at the game by picking Wolverine without ever going to the training room with him.

Because sitting in long chain combos is about as fun as getting a spinal tap.

Because the entire game is built around probably the nastiest comeback mechanic I've seen.

Because it's blatantly clear nothing in the game outside of the core game itself was finished on release. It's online is like something from the 90's (can't find someone to play? Back two menues for you!)

... that said, I have fun playing it, but acting like there's no problems with the game isn't a strong position :D
    I don't think I've ever said there's no problems with the game? Yeah the online is atrocious and x-factor is a bit much but:

Picking Wolverine and doing better is not a reason why the game sucks. Of course you're going to do better with Wolverine, you were playing a chun li where you mashed legs and a hulk where your main strategy was air throw into Super, and st.H. Then you picked a top tier character, actually learned a(n admittedly easy) combo or 3 and you won more. I'm not making a dig, but of course you're going to win more. That's like me saying "I played super with Dan, but I wasn't getting anywhere by using his gadoukens :confused: I switched to Honda and suddenly I'm doing better. WTF? This game is broken".

And long combos are not a problem with the game. It's a problem people have with game. They are my poison tbh, I even enjoy being in them cause I enjoy watching my opponent pull off something longer and more difficult than c.mk>f.mp.

Feel stupid even talking about it with you DooM, cause I know you like the game for a bit of craic and at least you put forward actual reasons for why it sucks instead of
    "how can people like this game", "online is teh gay, whole game sucks", " I can’t play it to save my life.", " it’s far too fast. I have no idea what’s happening". Those are all actual reasons I've seen!

I can totally understand the gripes folks have with this game. Some of them irk me too such as bad online, Wolverines 50/50, lack of "take me for a ride" outside training room.

But the complaints of the game seeming random or chaotic are very similar to my feelings when I play ST or 3s against someone who plays those games seriously.

SSF4 less so(even before I learned it and understood fg mechanics), unless it's a good viper or something.

Take you for a ride not playing at every character select screen was worse than awful online for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

Asian Cross counter. Highlights include one handed Yun beasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

This doesn't interest me in the slightest, but we've a few Yun's knocking around that might find this useful. And a few people who might find Yun's using this nonsense on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Speed Boat wrote: »

in his defense, the learning curve is quite different to of say SF4 [the standard fighting game these days]

It's not really in my opinion, having learned both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I dont see how, aside from 1frame links in SF4, MVC3 appears way more complex, switching characters while doing combos [launched] then ability to counter them, supers in succession, X FACTOR, etc etc etc

just seems very overwhelming

• Advertisement

In my own defense Speedboat "More learning fixes a lack of understanding" is an incredibly redundant statement.

You might as well tell me that in order to not lose, I should be the best.

Switching characters is pretty underused and not necessary at all. I don't think I've ever done it on purpose, Doyler is the only person I've seen use it properly. It's done with launcher and a direction. You counter it by doing the same one they did. It's like rock paper scissors.

Supers are in SF4, doing them in succession is a case of doing a second super input while your first one is happening. Nothing more to it.

Xfactor is simpler again. press all 4 buttons and your opponent bursts into red and painful flames. :P (damage and speed boost, lets you cancel moves fadc style)

I get what you mean, there's a good bit more there to learn about, but it isn't *difficult* to get the hang of the way the game works at all. The hardest and most impressive part of Marvel imo is blocking. Blocking a good player in Marvel is ruddy difficult.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever said there's no problems with the game? Yeah the online is atrocious and x-factor is a bit much but:

Picking Wolverine and doing better is not a reason why the game sucks. Of course you're going to do better with Wolverine, you were playing a chun li where you mashed legs and a hulk where your main strategy was air throw into Super, and st.H. Then you picked a top tier character, 1) actually learned a(n admittedly easy) combo or 3 and you won more. I'm not making a dig, but of course you're going to win more. 2) That's like me saying "I played super with Dan, but I wasn't getting anywhere by using his gadoukens :confused: I switched to Honda and suddenly I'm doing better. WTF? This game is broken".

3) And long combos are not a problem with the game. It's a problem people have with game. They are my poison tbh, I even enjoy being in them cause I enjoy watching my opponent pull off something longer and more difficult than c.mk>f.mp.

4) Feel stupid even talking about it with you DooM, cause I know you like the game for a bit of craic and at least you put forward actual reasons for why it sucks instead of
    "how can people like this game", "online is teh gay, whole game sucks", " I can’t play it to save my life.", " it’s far too fast. I have no idea what’s happening". Those are all actual reasons I've seen!

1) You're missing the point- it's so easy I didn't have to learn the combos at all. I could do them after watching you for 5 minutes. That aint good considering how poor my execution is :D

2) Pretty bad example to use with me seeing as I did better with a low mid tier character in vanilla than I ever did with a top tier :) V sagat was veering on broken but he did require a level of execution.

3) This may be your opinion, but I don't see how anyone can think a situation where a game player does nothing for an extended period of time in game is a good thing. It's even worse video game design wise when you think about it for beginners.

There's this theory used in multiplayer game design of the skill gap outside of which a game ceases to be fun for one or both players. If you're slightly worse than a player, he represents a fun challenge. Slightly better, and you have fun styling a little. But too far, and you're bored because it's too easy or frustrated because it's too hard. I think it's endemic in long combo games that you will find more people scrubbing out, giving up or getting angry simply because the % of time you spend in a state where you cannot effect the outcome of the match is so high. I'm convinced this is the real reason people get angry or give up so readily with Marvel compared to SF. You're still getting battered, but at least you can move around the screen when Ryu is flinging hadokens at you :D

4) Why feel stupid? It's a bit of debate, the place could use more :) my opinions may be scrubby, I don't know, but I am certainly always willing to listen to correction :)

In my own defense Speedboat "More learning fixes a lack of understanding" is an incredibly redundant statement.

You might as well tell me that in order to not lose, I should be the best.

I Disagree in this instance(if I'm interpreting your post correctly). Any game can seem hard to understand if you don't learn the rules. I suppose in marvel the rules are the mechanics, which when learned make the game seem far less daunting.

I don't understand starcraft or cvs2 but I'm sure if I learned how those games work(not necessarily even play them) I would then understand them.

I mean I can't disagree with people who can't follow marvel because they feel it's too fast. But where the system is concerned it's not so complex.

I Disagree in this instance(if I'm interpreting your post correctly).

My interpretation of this exchange:

Me: I don't play it because I don't know how to play
    You: You should l2p
    Me: ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Well err, if you don't play because you don't know how then.... what do you expect? L2P :pac:

Ramza wrote: »
    Well err, if you don't play because you don't know how then.... what do you expect? L2P :pac:

Kinda agreeing with Ramza here... like, if your position is you don't play a game because you don't know how to play it, how do you ever learn a game?

Bloody hell guys, it's a simple statement of fact, I'm not having a moan.

I don't play it because I don't know how. I'm not looking for anyone to fix this problem for me, so in that regard "L2P" is just being condescending for the sake of it.
    I wasn't asking for advice, but if you thought I was, linking a useful thorough and concise FAQ would have been a useful contribution. Stating the blindingly obvious was not.

Every fighting game has a learning curve, in which you have to spend time learning the game before you can get to the part when you can play it properly and enjoy the content.

I don't have the time to invest in that learning curve for every different fighting game system. So I don't. I put the available time I have for learning fighters into Street Fighter.

Man, I better make sure I don't mention off-hand that I don't hold Rock Concerts because I can't play electric guitar. I'll be skinned alive.

Bloody hell guys, it's a simple statement of fact, I'm not having a moan.

I don't play it because I don't know how. I'm not looking for anyone to fix this problem for me, so in that regard "L2P" is just being condescending for the sake of it.
    I wasn't asking for advice, but if you thought I was, linking a useful thorough and concise FAQ would have been a useful contribution. Stating the blindingly obvious was not.

Every fighting game has a learning curve, in which you have to spend time learning the game before you can get to the part when you can play it properly and enjoy the content.

I don't have the time to invest in that learning curve for every different fighting game system. So I don't. I put the available time I have for learning fighters into Street Fighter.

Man, I better make sure I don't mention off-hand that I don't hold Rock Concerts because I can't play electric guitar. I'll be skinned alive.

Yeah but from the post you made it sounded like this was a problem with the game... tis no biggy, as I said, discussion is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Well ye but you aren't posting in the Music boards saying that your problem with rock concerts is that you have no idea what's going on or why. :pac:

Advertisement