Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Longish one this morning on another cold one, had radio 5 and the tennis for company and the last 10k flew by listening to the 3rd set and that tie-breaker.
    Kept it pretty steady and threw a few sections at what would be my PMPish.
    Happy with a solid week that included 8 runs, 1 race, 1 PHMP session and 50 miles +.
    Easier one coming up next week with some travel and the Masters XC at the end of it.

Summary: 22.4k in 1:42:21 (4:34k pace / 7:21M pace), AvHR 151

WTD: 54
    MTD: 186.5

Good luck to everyone doing Raheny! Great day for PB's I'd say!

Mon 1st Feb
    Easy recovery run - 8.5k in 42mins

Tues 2nd Feb
    Interval session in Charlesland - 5 x 1k with 2min recovery.
    Warm Up
    1. 3:38
    2. 3:40
    3. 3:37
    4. 3:37
    5. 3:37
    Warm Down
    Despite my legs feeling a little stiff during the warm up these felt surprisingly easy and I was in control and relaxed during them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice going today BeepBeep, good session, like the 2*3km at PHMP too, will you try and build this up over next few weeks??

tisnotover wrote: »
    nice going today BeepBeep, good session, like the 2*3km at PHMP too, will you try and build this up over next few weeks??

Cheers - the plan on the PHMP is over the next 12 weeks is to build up in steps, there are some races in between, but it will go something like this.
    Another week of 2 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 3 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 4 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 2 x 6k, then 2 weeks of 1 x 12k. That's the plan so let's see.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Cheers - the plan on the PHMP is over the next 12 weeks is to build up in steps, there are some races in between, but it will go something like this.
    Another week of 2 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 3 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 4 x 3k, then 2 weeks of 2 x 6k, then 2 weeks of 1 x 12k. That's the plan so let's see.

sounds good, reason I ask, is I've been at something similar last while myself, have had 2*3k for 2weeks, interrupted by a race last wk, but will step it up now as well.ultimate would be to get to 4x3k...with 2min recovereis that would be some session! think this is one of Tergat's workouts?

I think the jump you say from 4x3k to 2x6k would be difficult? maybe 4x3k to 3x4k first?

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    I think the jump you say from 4x3k to 2x6k would be difficult? maybe 4x3k to 3x4k first?
    You're probably right, I think if I had an extra 2-3 weeks I could fit that in, but I want to hit the 12k's in the 2nd half of April, followed the BHAA 5mile 8 days before the HM which will tell me where I'm at hopefully. It's a bit of an experiment based on some reading, some advice and some gut feeling :rolleyes:.

You're probably right, I think if I had an extra 2-3 weeks I could fit that in, but I want to hit the 12k's in the 2nd half of April, followed the BHAA 5mile 8 days before the HM which will tell me where I'm at hopefully. It's a bit of an experiment based on some reading, some advice and some gut feeling :rolleyes:.

cool, structured training is good. all best with goals.

Well it was a messy week with travelling to the UK for work, from Tues only managed a 4mile run in the hotel gym at 6am Thurs and out for just over 7k yesterday morning - so heading into this race I was either going to be fresh or wrecked.
    So the race was in Shanganagh Pk and 2 short lap and 2 long lap set up, I noticed during the warm up that the course seemed short and so it proved to be. The course was yeilding in horse racing terms but overall good running to be had. The plan was changed slighly from a more conservative start to a go out steady and try and hang in there. After a quick first k (3:23) I settled into a group of 7 (including Martin Francis, Ben Mooney, Cathal Daly, Sean Dunne & Bill Tyrell) battling for the places from 4th to 10th with lots of movement as at various times someone tried to make a break. I hit the last lap (about 1.9k to go) in 7th and quickly tried to cover a break by Bill, the last lap was crazy I think I passed Bill 4 times and had a good ding dong with Martin and Sean, Cathal was pulling away and bringing Ben with him so I tried to tuck in behind them but could feel breath on the back of my neck, I hit 150 to go and pushed hard closing on Ben but he had just enough to stay ahead. So overall 6th and 1st O/40 and a real race from start to finish. Course came in at 4.78k on my Garmin in 17:16 which was 3:36 pace - 18min 5k pace over soggy grass, bodes well for a sub 18min 5k when the opportunity arises.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24132248

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running and nicely told. I has similar ding dong battles with Ben and Martin yesterday. No consolation to you that those guys raced yesterday too! I managed to open a gap on Ben in the closing 2k, but Martin had opened a big gap on me - downhill running like a youngfella.

Great running and nicely told. I has similar ding dong battles with Ben and Martin yesterday. No consolation to you that those guys raced yesterday too! I managed to open a gap on Ben in the closing 2k, but Martin had opened a big gap on me - downhill running like a youngfella.
    Yep, I wonder where these guys get their energy - great race yourself yesterday, there's quite a few on this forum flying high at the moment.

• Advertisement

Just out for a trot tonight at recovery pace, bit chilly out there and got clobbered by a few hailstones in the last k.
    11.37k in a smidgen under 5min pace.

Oh well I got de-throned of my M40 title due to some mix up with age categories, but the team were also moved up from 4th to 3rd - so the net was I lost a gold and gained a silver and bronze, should I be happy or pizzed off - I'm in the later category at the moment.

Anyho, back to tonight.
    Continuation of the 5 x 1k session:
    • 3:39 (MaxHR: 165)
    • 3:42 (MaxHR: 171)
    • 3:40 (MaxHR: 173)
    • 3:40 (MaxHR: 173)
    • 3:33 (MaxHR: 175)
    With a combination of hailstones, extra layers and the race still in my legs, found this tougher than last week and I was a little off last weeks pace.

Felt nice and comfortable on this recovery run tonight and was surprised to get home and realise I ran 1min41 faster than Monday night, perfect night for running all the same.

11.37k in 55:08

Felt a bit wrecked the last few days, I think mentally more so than physically, heavy workload at the moment.
    Got out for 11.4k last night fairly handy and similarly today just 4 miles to keep the wolves from the door.
    Tough weekend ahead (for me) - tomorrow 2 x 3k at PHMP pace and 24k on Sunday.

Nice 2.5k warm up and warm down.
    Started this session from Glanbia in Ashford heading out towards the old Cullenmore Hotel, for a quick turnaround and back again.
    #1 - Found it hard to get into the pace for the 1st k against a slight headwind and went through in 4:06 (4 secs off the pace), managed to recover with with back to back 4's to hit 12:07 (AvHR - 160; Max - 169)
    2 min walk/jog and ready to go again (AvHr dropping to 139).
    #2 - I think a combination of a slow 1st k last one and the breeze with me this time, I went through the 1st a little hot in 3:44, contained myself again and reeled out back to back 4's to hit 11:42 (AvHr - 162; Max - 167).
    1st one felt tough, 2nd one felt easy, will probably add some strides to warm up next time to help hitting the 1st k on plan.
    11.37k in 52:02
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/24568986

Well after a nice evening which included a few beers and a few glasses of sparkling wine it was back to HM training.
    Longish one planned at a steady pace with a few faster bits thrown in from time to time.
    So this felt quite easy and I had to ease back from time to time early on as the pace was too quick for a long and I was expecting to pay the price later - thankfully that never happened. I have a nice 8.65k loop which has a few short climbs and plenty of decent running on it, so the plan was to do 3 of these, which allows me to pass the car a few times for a little drink. The 3 laps went (39:19 / 39:15 / 38:37) with a 4:12 and a 4:13 thrown for k 24+25.
    Home for a nice bowl of porridge with apples, raisins and cinnamon :p.
    Summary: 26k in 1:57:11 (7:15 Mpace / 4:30 kpace) AvHR - 153.

WTD - 55.1
    MTD - 81.5
    YTD - 268.0

Running very nicely and consistently. Good stuff. Resisting the goody press will shave some time off your runs too ;)

Running very nicely and consistently. Good stuff. Resisting the goody press will shave some time off your runs too ;)

Are you sayin' I is fat :D

Easy run this evening, after a good weekend the body needed it and nice to get out and run with no other agenda in mind only to run slow.
    8.9k in 45:22 (5:06 kpace) - HR below 140.

So had a progress chat with my coach which has resulted in some fine tuning to the plan, he feels I'm over cooking it at the moment and wants to blunt my speed a little as it's still nearly 12 weeks to HM.
    So the 2 key changes are, 1 - the Tuesday interval session has be pushed up from 1k's to 1M's (for 4 weeks) and 2 - the weekend tempo from 2 x 3k to 1 x 6k.
    So tonight was straight into it for 4 x 1M.
    • 6:06 (AvHR - 159)
    • 6:07 (AvHR - 165)
    • 6:06 (AvHR - 167)
    • 5:59 (AvHR - 168)
    Total 11.68k in 54:41

• Advertisement

Combination of a 3k race tomorrow night and offsite meetings with a late finish tonight means 06:30 on the treadie for 4 miles easy - Done

Well a freezing night, a very sluggish warm up, a couple of good sessions and a long one in my legs had me questioning myself before this one.
    So a different course than the one I described in the events section, started where I thought, but ran south for about 600mts before doing a U turn, I was blowing pretty hard after the 1st k and went through in 3:28, my head was playing tricks with me (along with heavy legs) on k number 2 as we headed back past the start and out towards the quays and I clocked 3:37, luckily a little group started coming back to me on the final k and a minor dogfight ensued which I won encouraging me to hit 3:29.
    So overall pleased, in cold conditions and heavy legs to claim 1st M40 and 10:35 for a 2 sec M40 PB as the distance was bang on for Garmin.

Summary: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24979168
    10:35 (M40 PB)
    11th overall
    1st M40

Great running BB. You've a few secs more to go there if you didn't have to do about turns! Well done.

Nice chilly, sunny lunch time run from Whitegates to Killoughter, stiff northerly breeze left my face botoxed.
    Summary: 11.45k in 54:18 (4:45kpace)

Felt ragged going into this after a really good tough week.
    So warmed up with 2.5k easy, followed by some strides and some stretches, then it was straight into 6k at PHMP.
    Target - 24:12
    This felt tough straight out the door and checking back on the stats my HR climbed to 160 in the 1st k and hit 172 by the last one, but I kept digging in and was happy to see 4:01 for the 1st k and bang on target and that's pretty much how it went, feeling I had to push myself to stay on target and feeling like I'm working harder than PHMP.
    1. 4:01
    2. 3:57
    3. 4:03
    4. 3:59
    5. 4:00
    6. 3:55
    Actual - 23:55
    So a good 8 days put to bed (3 quality sessions, 1 race and 1 LSR), easier week coming up next week after a long one tomorrow due to travel, which probaby suits.

Summary: 11.22k in 50:53 (4:32 per k pace)

Well the plan for today said hilly long run, so normally all my runs around Wicklow are planned around hill avoidance. So this morning I just headed out the door in a general hilly direction. So it was up the Rockey road and out over the N11 and up Blackhill road, at 5k I spot a little wood so head off road for a nosey, fine at first but then it's been set up for horses, so not fancying the steeple chase I head back to the road, but make a mental note for a future explore in there. So on down the road to a Y junction, I know the right road goes to Glenealy so I take the left one to keep climbing, after some nice running I come to a crossroads so I go straight through, suddenly I'm off road again so I go with it, about 2k later I'm in familiar territory and have just realised I've found a nice off road access to Deputy's pass woods (Brucey Bonus), so it's a straight forward run from there out to the N11 at the Beehive, down Marlton road to the soon to be opened town relief road and on home.
    Summary: 23.01k (5k off road) in 1:52:38 (4:54k pace) with 447mts of climbing.

WTD - 50.2
    MTD - 131.7
    YTD - 318.1

Nice one. Its great to explore and uncover new routes for other days. Sounds like one I'd like to see too. I'll need to start exploring Carrick too over the coming weeks to nail down a route for the imra race.

Day off yesterday, up at 3:30am to catch an early flight and by the time I got back to the hotel I was cabbage. Managed to get out for 10k this evening in 48 something, nice to be running in shorts and a t-shirt in the dark (about 10 - 12 degrees).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Day off yesterday, up at 3:30am to catch an early flight and by the time I got back to the hotel I was cabbage. Managed to get out for 10k this evening in 48 something, nice to be running in shorts and a t-shirt in the dark (about 10 - 12 degrees).
    and you're in......Cork? Trinidad? I love guessing games. :)

• Advertisement

and you're in......Cork? Trinidad? I love guessing games. :)

Montpellier in France, just back now, garmin link http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25440627

Advertisement