Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Early start again this morning 5am CET, that's 4am in Punts, after a few near misses with French Air Traffic Control in Mtp and almost a touch and go in CDG (got to my gate as the end of the queue was getting on the bus to the runway - phew!), had hoped to stop off in Shanganagh for a few cheeky mile repeats but the weather put an end to that and work and life took over then, managed 8k on the treadie starting at 12kph and increasing by 0.2 every k.
    Not sure whether to do the intervals tomorrow with the race on Sat, probably will as the XC is not the goal.

So a chilly Shanganagh beckoned this evening as I rolled up to challenge myself to 4 x 1 Mile and the fading light. Warm up with some stretching and strides before kicking off.
    1. 5:58
    2. 5:55
    3. 6:00
    4. 5:52
    A bit on the quick side in hindsight, but I ran on feeling and only checked the Garmin at about the 1k (1 lap) mark on each lap.

Summary: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/25522607

Easy recovery run this evening - 8.2k in 40:14 (4:54k pace)

So on with the PHMP sessions for me today - have to admit this is the one session I don't look forward to, give me an interval session or a race any day - but I know it's key to posting a respectable HM time.
    So 2kish warm up follow by some stretches.
    Target: 32:16
    Felt in more control today even though I was going + 2k on last week, but had to watch the splits as it's about a 3.7k lap with one side slightly uphill against a headwind, so tried to focus on equal efforrt rather than equal splits.
    1. 4:03 (HRMax - 159)
    2. 4:05 (HRMax - 162)
    3. 3:56 (HRMax - 162)
    4. 4:00 (HRMax - 166)
    5. 4:04 (HRMax - 169)
    6. 3:58 (HRMax - 169)
    7. 3:58 (HRMax - 168)
    8. 3:54 (HRMax - 173)
    Actual: 31:58
    Pleased with the session and nice to have it out the way for another 7 days, pushed it a little on the last k considering that was an uphill one and the HR popped above 170, might continue with that to hopefully give confidence for a fast last k on race day.

Summary: 12.61k in 55:03 (4:22 pace)

The schedule today said comfortable 2hr LSR, so it was nice to just head out the door and not worry about pace and take in some of the nice views around the backroads of Wicklow and Ashford. Bumped into a guy called Joe who is into Ultra's and was doing his last 'easy' 20 mile LSR (7 min pace :eek:) before Cyprus in 2 weeks time, so we ran together for about 2.5 miles at a compromised pace of 7:30, before I let him continue out to Newtown. I took a GU gel at 15k and had to stop to give my left knee a bit of rub on the way back - thankfully it seems ok.

Summary: 24.94k in 2hrs (4:48 pace)

WTD: 46.3
    MTD: 178
    YTD: 364.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good man. Sounds like you met the mighty Abhainn :)

Easy recovery run this evening from Whitegates to Killoughter, great evening as the sun set over the hills casting a peachy violet hue across the sky. Just over 10k in 51mins.

Back on track tonight, nice to kick off in day light.
    So on with the 4 x 1miles, planned not to go too hard (5k time trail on Thurs) and had to check myself a few times, last one myself and Joe stretched it out for the last lap.
    1. 5:59 (HRMax - 166)
    2. 6:02 (HRMax - 169)
    3. 6:03 (HRMax - 170)
    4. 5:48 (HRMax - 174)
    26 secs faster in total compared with 2 weeks ago.

Summary: 10.31 in 47:12

Going to head to the club 5k time trial tomorrow evening if I can get out of work on time, so easy trot this evening - 8k in 39:47.

Well club time trial tonight, pretty cold evening for it, had Slogger for company on this one and we ran about 3k together, to be honest I was feeling the recent increase in training in my legs and I let him and another go at that stage and just cruised the last 2k.
    Finished bang on 5k on the Garmin in 18:41. Probably 10 secs or so behind Slogger.

9.5k for he evening,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well club time trial tonight, pretty cold evening for it, had Slogger for company on this one and we ran about 3k together, to be honest I was feeling the recent increase in training in my legs and I let him and another go at that stage and just cruised the last 2k.
    Finished bang on 5k on the Garmin in 18:41. Probably 10 secs or so behind Slogger.

9.5k for he evening,
    Good running, whats your target this year ? Summer track ?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Good running, whats your target this year ? Summer track ?

Cheers, doing the Kildare Half to focus on my endurance, followed by a couple of easy weeks before getting into the short sharp intervals towards the end of May, this I hope will leave me in sub 18 form (Farmleigh if it's on in July) and then have some fun on the track at the graded's and BHAA's.

Cheers, doing the Kildare Half to focus on my endurance, followed by a couple of easy weeks before getting into the short sharp intervals towards the end of May, this I hope will leave me in sub 18 form (Farmleigh if it's on in July) and then have some fun on the track at the graded's and BHAA's.

Sounds like a good plan there, not too far from mine either,well maybe not the sub 18 part..

Nice gentle recovery run this evening from Whitegates to Killoughter and back. 10.1k in 49mins.

We were invaded last night by a gaggle herd flock pack of sleep overers, so this morning Mrs BeepBeep shoe horned them into a paddy wagon and restored them back to their natural habitat - Greystones! So I seen that as an opportunity to bring forward my long run by a day, so I trotted off to meet them back at the Zoo.
    So this was a run from Wicklow to Greystones, out through Ashford, the old N11, Newtown and the Charlesland Cross. Uneventful really except I was into a head wind all the way (note to self - check weather forecast before doing point to point runs :(), stopped at Kilpedder (18k) for a water to have with GU gel, kept a steady pace most of the way, quads were a little sore towards the end so I slowed down a little.

Summary: 26.5k in 2:05:34 (4:45 / 7:38 pace)

What a glorious morning, just headed out for a slow recovery run, which was grand as it took about 3k for aches and creaks to easy out.
    It was nice and relaxing running along the Morrough, lots of people out for walks and jogs, bit of a stiff breeze on way back.
    10.1k @ 5min pace.

WTD - 52.5
    YTD - 417.0

More of the same this evening, recovery run from Whitegates to Kiloughter, returning into the fading light. 10.1k in 50 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Bumped into a guy called Joe who is into Ultra's and was doing his last 'easy' 20 mile LSR (7 min pace :eek:) before Cyprus in 2 weeks time, so we ran together for about 2.5 miles at a compromised pace of 7:30, before I let him continue out to Newtown.

And this is me:D

I'll be keeping an eye on this log now. Great stuff to date

Back on the track again tonight with the club and the outing for my Adidas Zillians - my normal track interval shoe (Addidas Response Cushion 16) are starting to feel a little dead, so they'll be consigned to Shanganagh as the evenings lenghten.
    So tonight sees the end of the mile intervals, finishing off with 5.
    1. 5:56 (HRMax - 169)
    2. 5:57 (HRMax - 171)
    3. 5:57 (HRMax - 171)
    4. 5:57 (HRMax - 172)
    5. 5:53 (HRMax - 171)
    I don't know if it's the brighter evenings, or me getting fitter, but this felt very comfortable this evening, the consistency was great and I felt I could have done a few more.

A crisp, a crisp my country for a crisp - oh, I could murder a bag of Tayto!
    Anyway, unplanned rest day yesterday, had to go to the UK at short notice, so out of the scratcher at 4am, for the red eye to LHR and back later that day, even a tempting albeit a little late invite from Slogger for a jaunt around Carrick, could force my body to consider anything beyond food and sofa.
    So today the PHMP runs have moved onto grass with the longer evenings.
    So 8k again:
    Target: 32:16
    1. 3:56 (HRAv 151)
    2. 4:02 (HRAv 161)
    3. 4:02 (HRAv 163)
    4. 4:01 (HRAv 163)
    5. 4:01 (HRAv 165)
    6. 3:58 (HRAv 167)
    7. 4:04 (HRAv 167)
    8. 3:53 (HRAv 169)
    Actual: 32:01
    So I had a feeling that would feel a little tougher on grass and I think I over compensated a little on the 1st k, going through about 500mts in 3:40 pace, so had to reel myself back in and I'm very happy with the consistency from there, again I tweaked it up a little for the last k.
    No PHMP session next week that's replaced with a weekend 10k and the PHMP sessions will be 10k and 12k from there to the HM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

running on grass is tricky for these type of sessions!
    last week I did something similar on a PMP run, was set to target a hr-range, but went out too fast for first mile (hr takes while to build-up), like u, reigned it in after that, nice session though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

A crisp, a crisp my country for a crisp - oh, I could murder a bag of Tayto!.

Man do I feel your pain :(

Oh yeah... nice running too :p

+1 to that. I'm compensating by eating more chocolate which wasn't on my avoid list.

Well headed out the door for a nice run this evening - only to be bitten by a dog at the top of the estate, little Jack Russel type, was on lead and all and I should have know better and gave more room which would have meant moving onto the road with cars coming behind me. Took a nip at me as I went past, didn't think the skin broke, so just gave the owner a look and kept going, But realised I was bleeding further up the road - thankfully due to work travel I'm vacinated to hilt.
    So kept running, looking back my 1st k was 4:35 for an easy run, probably a bit of adrenaline flowing. So after all that this was a nice gentle run around the back roads of Miltown, Ashford & Rathnew, with 3 tidy climbs thrown in. Back home for Savlon and TLC.
    12k in 58:42 (4:53 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Ouch. I had quite a bit of dog trouble recently, including one little bugger practically running between my legs for 200 yards and I was scared I was going to step on him. But an actual bite, that's not good.

Well headed out the door for a nice run this evening - only to be bitten by a dog at the top of the estate, little Jack Russel type, was on lead and all and I should have know better and gave more room which would have meant moving onto the road with cars coming behind me. Took a nip at me as I went past, didn't think the skin broke, so just gave the owner a look and kept going, But realised I was bleeding further up the road - thankfully due to work travel I'm vacinated to hilt.
    So kept running, looking back my 1st k was 4:35 for an easy run, probably a bit of adrenaline flowing. So after all that this was a nice gentle run around the back roads of Miltown, Ashford & Rathnew, with 3 tidy climbs thrown in. Back home for Savlon and TLC.
    12k in 58:42 (4:53 pace)

only cure for that cut is the "Hair of the dog".... Go back tonight and shave teh F**er

Ouch. Watch out for the full moon.. you might start to exhibit jack russell like tendencies. Should runners carry a spray can of mace for such situations. A big dog approached me last Sunday with teeth beared. A nasty standoff ensued. Owners (from the house they emerged from) weren't around. Had to walk a stretch to avoid the dog in the end. Unpleasant.

It must be the time of the month for dogs at the moment (sorry ladies), got bloody chased by 2 dogs on the old N11 on my LSR today, going past where some travellers are held up, ended up kicking one of them in the jaw as they tried to run between my legs, didn't feel good doing it, but the chase stopped at least (Dogs 1 : BeepBeep67 1 - heading for extra time and penalties :D)!
    Well today's agenda said slow 2hr LSR and this was a hilly variant of last week's in reverse, so from Greystones to Wicklow, after Charlesland headed up the back roads via the Marriot Hotel, down to Newtown and on to Wicklow.
    The OH dropped a bottle of water for at the Cullenmore bends so stopped there for gel (16k).
    24.6k in 2:01 a break from the long stuff for 2 weeks coming up :).

The sun was in the sky as I slipped on my shades and Garmin (with it's new velcro strap - let's say it's efficient, but definitley not pretty) and nipped out from sister's house in Newcastle after all the Mother's day pleasantries - but the body felt like a clapped out Morris Minor this morning, couldn't raise an effort to save my life. I left Newcastle and headed down the beach road and I think 2k through sand and shingle didn't help my cause as I headed out the Morrough with Wicklow Town visible 5 miles in the distance, swung up on the new port relief road to head home (not that my body needed 70mts of climbing to finish with - well if it doesn't kill ya.....).
    So this was a slow 14.32k @ 5:05 pace, looking back it was a quality week, with 6 days running, 5 miles of Intervals, 8k of tempo and 53.6 miles. 75% week coming up with a 10k at the end.

WTD - 53.6
    MTD - 106.1
    YTD - 470.6

• Advertisement

Nothing much to report this evening, the start of an easy week begins with a gentle 6.6k in Greystones Rugby Club.

Advertisement