Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Club were having a 5k time trail in Shanganagh so I used this as a tempo, plus was pacing some of the members to 20min pace.
    So the plan was to take them through 4k in just under 16 and then I would kick on.
    To be honest I found it hard to run at 4min pace, felt like I was only jogging, as this was a try and replicate HM pace, I need to work on getting the first 3-4k right for race day.
    1. 3:53
    2. 3:56 (7:49)
    3. 4:02 (11:51)
    4. 4:00 (15:51)
    5. 3:26 :D (19:17)
    Forgot my HRM which was a pity as knowing AvHR for the first 4k would've been nice as I was really cruising.

Total 9.71k in 44mins.

Today the plan was to bring forward my LSR as we are heading off for a short break, got stuck working a little longer than planned this morning and had promised to take the kids swimming at 2 bells.
    So hopped on the treadie at lunch time for 12k in 59:08, completed the swimming gig, plus a trip a to Tesco to let the kids pick some colouring stuff for the trip, changed the oil and replaced a breaklight bulb in my wife's car which is due it's NCT the day after we get back - phew!
    The got the runners back on (broke the seal on my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8's, nice runner straight out of the box - hoping for many happy miles) 4.5hrs after my lunchtime run and went for a nice hilly 13.54k (8.42 miles for Krusty) loop in 1:03 (4:39k pace - 7:29 for Krusty).
    Total for the day - 25.54k in 2:02:10 - does that count as an LSR :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    To be honest I found it hard to run at 4min pace, felt like I was only jogging, .

Your such a show off :D
    Only messing of course just catching up on some of my favs, keep up the good work, very jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So hopped on the treadie at lunch time for 12k in 59:08, completed the swimming gig
    I don't get it. What's a 'k'? :confused:
    Trying to organize a run of the Kildare half route in late April with Lecheile, if you're interested (though I think I read you've got one planned). Probably an early Sunday morning..

I'm the thinking the 18th might suit me better than the 11th - which Sunday are you thinking of?

4 miles early doors as I'm off on a short holiday - 3 runs in less than 18hrs.

• Advertisement

Probably later than that again, as both of us are running Connemera. For example, the 25th. Enjoy the break.

So I'm down in the South of France staying at a friends house in Eguilles, fanstastic with countless trails in the back garden - literally. Have been on several loops so far, if I stayed here much longer who knows I might even come back a hill runner :D, don't have the full stats yet as I can't figure out how to get the Garmin to show elevation on the watch, but there's lots of climbing and I'm not too concerned with missing some sessions as I know I'm working on these runs.
    Sunday Noon - 9.31k easy enough for the 1st half as my host who is trying to get back running showed me around and then I quickened towards the end finishing at 5min pace.
    Monday AM - out early at 7:30 for an explore some steep climbing and a body a full of local wine and cheese resulted in 5:05 pace.
    Tuesday evening - 19 degrees :p, great climbing for about 4k before hitting a trail that runs along side the TGV (super train), hit the top in about 5:20 pace then stretched out on the way back to finish 11:33k in 4:47 pace - I'm doing this one again this morning but bringing the camera.

So back home now after a great time in France, had everything from nice sunny days, downpours and a day in alps which included a venture across the Italian boarder and some fun in the snow.
    Managed to run every day which was a bonus as I had pencilled in a rest day, so that took the pressure off last night when I arrived back, so just went for 7k easy, where I thought I would be doing 16k to make up the miles.
    Weds ran the same route as Tues, at an easier pace and brought the camera for a few snaps.
    Trail from house to the woods - via the vines.
    4503799205_d80fb94dca.jpg
    Looking back to the house
    4503830971_66db46733a.jpg
    Some rolling trails
    4504440520_8b3dac50d1.jpg
    And a steep one
    4504443274_16aa123f4f.jpg
    At the top about 2k along the TGV line
    4504446546_3106cf9552.jpg
    Looking down on the TGV bridge
    4503820931_35bc866327.jpg
    Looking back towards Eguilles
    4503823943_a502ff7f2e.jpg
    There are countless variations of trails in these woods, would liked to have spent more time exploring more than the 41.74k I ran up there, but c'est la vie!
    Back to the reality of the HM countdown now.
    Found a useful application for the Garmin 405, saving a location when parking the car in a city with a maze of narrow back streets, great way to find your way back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looks great. Thats not a house, thats an estate! Go easy on the vin.. Wouldn't do to have you arrive back in Ireland slower than you left :)

When I received my training schedule 12 weeks ago and scanned down through it I was instantly drawn to this session which said 10miles including 12k @ PHMP and I have to say for the last 12 weeks it's been there in the back of my mind hanging over me.
    Anyway I arrived in Shanganagh just after 11 to get organised and treated this like a mini dress rehersal, from a warm up and stretching perspective including hanging around for about 5mins before getting into the session.
    So the target for this was 48:24 and this is how it went:
    k split AvHR
    1. 03:56 147
    2. 04:00 159
    3. 04:04 160
    4. 04:00 161
    5. 04:00 163 (5k - 20:00)
    6. 03:57 164
    7. 03:59 166
    8. 04:02 166
    9. 03:55 166
    10. 03:59 166 (10k - 39:52 - 37 secs unofficial M40 PB)
    11. 04:01 166
    12. 03:56 166 (12k - 47:49)
    Very pleased with this session and felt fresh after a nice break although this represents 21 continuous days, felt like a tempo session should, could have gone faster or longer. HR remained consistent from 6k, would be happy with that on race day and I'm sure as this was on grass I have 1-2secs grace per split also - glad that's out of the way with little or no impact.

Total - 16.33k in 68:57 (4:13 pace)

• Advertisement

Just a get a few miles in run today as the OH dropped me off at Coynes Cross and I ran home via the back roads and the old N11. Great weather nice to have a bit of heat but I should have hydrated a bit more this mrning.
    8.9miles @ 7:39 pace

Easy LSR this morning, was a bit of a drag at the end of my max mileage week.
    15.05 miles in 1:57:38 (7:49 pace)
    WTD - 58.6
    MTD - 90.3
    YTD - 670.2

Easy recovery run on grass this evening in glorious sunshine around Shanganagh, just a trot ran with with Sean from the club for about 5k.
    8 Miles in 65mins.
    Feeling wrecked after 42 miles since Friday, fair play to Krusty, Abhainn and the other Ultras yesterday - respect!

Didn't have an option to make it to the track tonight as the OH is heading out, so hit the back roads in Ashford for 8 x 600mts using the workout functionality on the Garmin.
    Not enjoyable overall, Garmin set up versus the track, breezy and the splits were all over the shop, however felt like I was working hard, so will bank that. Rest day tomorrow after 25 on the trot, up at 3:30 to catch the red eye to Amsterdam, will try and get a few miles in on Thursday morning.

Well I should be just finishing a run in Shanganagh as I type, instead I'm stuck in Amsterdam until God knows when!
    Anyway, Weds was a rest day as I was up at 3:30 to catch a 6am flight.
    Thurs out at 5:50am local time for an easy 2 laps of Vondel Pk which is right beside the hotel, so just me and the birds in trees until the last couple of k when I was joined by a few bicycles as the daily commute began in ernest - 7.55k @ 4:58 pace.
    This evening same again with an additional lap at a slightly quicker pace, this park is a hive of activity so need to stay alert amongst the many park users and hundreds of bikes, a nice and sunny 10.9k @ 4:24 pace.

Out for an alcohol carb fulled 3 laps of Vondel Pk, think I need to buy some more gear and clothes today could be here for a while.
    10.83k @ 4:43pace.

Still stuck away, beginning to become a real pain in the a$$.
    Anyway, got out for a little trot this morning through Vondel Pk and out to connect with Rembrandt Pk which is nice and quite compared to the melee in VP, but does not have the same nice flow so ended up in a few rat holes trying to avoid an out and back, eventually heading back to VP for a lap and a half.
    13.57k @ 4:36pace.

Finally back home and feeling a bit wrecked, managed to keep running though not as per the schedule and pretty sure I've gained a little weight, from eating out.
    Monday was pushed for time, but got into Vogel Pk for a warm up and 6 x 400 around the 81-82 secs mark, looking forward to proper speedwork after the half and getting my zip back.
    Tues was no running as I left the hotel at 7am and made it back home 24hrs later.
    Weds just went out for a trot with some strides thrown in towards the end to shake off the travels.
    Easy few days before the 10k and a test of any impact to the training, then 2 weeks to the half, probably a 10 day taper.

Verbal diarrhea to follow - apologies in advance :o

So sat down and done some soul searching at the weekend after Saturday's 10k - sat in my gear for about 2hrs yesterday thinking up reasons for not running yesterday which speaks volumes as it's normally one the highlights of the day.
    Work and other pressures have thrown the end of my HM training off track and I've just found out I need to travel for 4 days next week also.
    I've been feeling a little low and de motivated and 2 poor 10k races have not helped plus becoming consumed with this one race.
    So taking a step back and looking at the big picture, here's what I see.
    I'm actually run down (fatigued, irritable, etc) trying to fit too much into my life - so have started on a tonic today after a consultation.
    The HM was becoming my goal, whereas it was supposed to be supporting my goal of a sub 18min 5k and I feel I'm not suited to the higher mileage.
    I considered taking 2 weeks off and skipping the HM, but after taking a day off yesterday I feel I've lifted a little weight off my shoulders, I will run the HM but as a fast training run instead.
    So with a big intake of breath I'm hoping to get back on track and recover my form and motivation through getting back to the type of running I enjoy - post the HM I'll be hitting the track and road for everything between 1500 and 5k, with the odd 5M and 10k thrown in for good measure.

Now that feels better - going to just run for the fun of running this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Verbal diarrhea to follow - apologies in advance :o

So sat down and done some soul searching at the weekend after Saturday's 10k - sat in my gear for about 2hrs yesterday thinking up reasons for not running yesterday which speaks volumes as it's normally one the highlights of the day.
    Work and other pressures have thrown the end of my HM training off track and I've just found out I need to travel for 4 days next week also.
    I've been feeling a little low and de motivated and 2 poor 10k races have not helped plus becoming consumed with this one race.
    So taking a step back and looking at the big picture, here's what I see.
    I'm actually run down (fatigued, irritable, etc) trying to fit too much into my life - so have started on a tonic today after a consultation.
    The HM was becoming my goal, whereas it was supposed to be supporting my goal of a sub 18min 5k and I feel I'm not suited to the higher mileage.
    I considered taking 2 weeks off and skipping the HM, but after taking a day off yesterday I feel I've lifted a little weight off my shoulders, I will run the HM but as a fast training run instead.
    So with a big intake of breath I'm hoping to get back on track and recover my form and motivation through getting back to the type of running I enjoy - post the HM I'll be hitting the track and road for everything between 1500 and 5k, with the odd 5M and 10k thrown in for good measure.

Now that feels better - going to just run for the fun of running this evening.
    I know how you feel, stress and life does get in the way and running is a great thing in these cases. The day you dont want to go out an run tells you something, maybe a nice easy week and you will be feeling good again, I'd play it by ear with the HM as you might be full of running when you get to the start line as your training has been really really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sounds like your mojo got left behind a bit with all the messing with the recent travel shennanigans which couldn't have been easy. I've run with you dozens of times and you are always full of positive energy and belief, it sounds like you are possessed by an alien spirit :). I've little doubt that if I ran a HM with you this weekend you'd come out on top. Your home has always been the short and speedy stuff and its natural you should go back to that. Theres delight to be had in the occasional medium or long run in the forests or the hills - you need to get off the streets and even parks of Wicklow a bit more :rolleyes:. The most important thing is to get a good leg 8 on the WWR in. Looking forward to our next run on Carrick or thereabouts.

Sweated my way around Shanganagh this evening with various running partners intermittently including Krusty for a few k - very humid this evening or was that just me!
    10.4k in 47:46.

Hey, yeah.. It was nice meeting you today. Strange to recognize you from your profile picture on FB! Sorry to run off, but I was on a promise to take the young' un swimming, so had to be back in the house for 6:40pm. And yes, I was dripping by the time I got home. Very hot out there. the swim was the ideal antidote!

Hit the track tonight for a mixed session: 2 x 1200 + 6 x 200 + 2 x 1200 the 12's at 5k pace and the 2's at 1M pace - okish last 2 12's were tough - still not feeling 100%.
    Weirdest thing happened during the warm up, was trotting around with Rob and after about 3 laps, his 305 popped open spitting it's insides out, followed literally by his car alarm going off 5 secs later, all this happening while we were being hit by a short rain shower - needless to say I left him to do his 600's by himself and made sure I stayed 2 lanes clear at all times!
    11.8k in total

They've opened up the Wicklow Town relielf and Port relief roads which runs close to house and which will form part of the Wicklow Gaol Break HM - so I now have a nice cycle lane route to the Morrough (3.6k) from house, so went on this for a trot tonight, pluse about 1M along the Morrough, before cutting across the train tracks for a little loop down by the river and back home, nice 10.7k lap, even if the last 2k are uphill.
    4561283118_db47d06eab_o.jpg

Easy trot around Shanganagh this evening with the club, some were doing a session, I joined a few doing 40mins easy as I might run the BHAA as a tempo run on Sat.
    8.2k in 40mins

Took it handy yesterday with the race planned for today, so it was just 4k on the treadie.
    Today BHAA RTE 5 Mile Road Race, wasn't sure how I would run this, it wasn't in the plan, but I needed a confidence boost after last week's 10k, so I said to myself I'd just run how I felt.
    So this ended up being a quick 1st mile followed by 3 steady ones and a faster last 1/2 mile.
    The splits were:
    1. 5:46
    2. 6:01
    3. 6:04
    4. 6:06
    5. 5:38 (shows 1.53 on the Garmin - lots of twists and turns on course, but even still it extrapolates to 5:56 last mile - which is still under 30mins)
    Good thing about this race is that I didn't feel under pressure at any stage, AvHR only increased by 4 over the last 4 miles, could have pushed harded but had the HM in the back of my mind - cooler day helped a little I'm sure also.
    So good runs by the other Boardies also robinph & Abhainn sub 29, Ger65 with a fast last mile - good day all round.

PS - resisted the Pavlova until now mmmmmmmm
    PS2 - M40 PB by 1:48 on the same course from last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Well raced, fairly even splits and a quick final mile, congrats on going sub30

Great time, and a smashing PB. Whatever about the 1/2, great result in the bag already.

• Advertisement

Easy 10 miler was on the cards today, left it until the afternoon, so stuck on the cans in hope that Sunderland might pull off a surprise - ah well!
    Headed out the new town relief road towards the Cullenmore bends for an out and back - was surprised when I checked the watch at 2 miles that I was running at 7:17 pace instead of the planned 7:45, so slowed down and completed 10.06 miles in 76:53 (7:38 pace) - AvHR: 143, no reaction from yesterday's race.

WTD - 46.1
    MTD - 18.1
    YTD - 782.1

Advertisement