Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Handy recovery trot from the house to the Morrough - 6.7miles in 52:32.
    Travelling to the UK this evening for work until Thurs, not ideal before the HM, but I'll stick to the routine as much as possible.
    The Plan:
    Tue - Rest Day
    Wed - 6 miles + 4 x 600m @ 10k pace
    Thu - 5 miles easy
    Fri - Rest Day
    Sat - 4k easy
    Sun - Race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great running in the 5mile on sat, well done, looks like you finished very strong, nice feeling !

Only disappointing thing, is that you beat my 5mile time by 2seconds ;)

Over in the UK - hope I don't get stuck away again :(.
    Rest day yesterday, so tonight found a little quite loop behind the hotel, plan was to do 4 x 600m, thought I had a result when I came across a school with a grass track that looked about 250mts, but after a warm up lap I was joined by about 40 12yr old girls, so I made my excuses and left, as I was leaving I was approached by someone saying that I had been reported as looking suspicious in a private all girls school :o - he seen the funny side after we had a chat.
    Anyho, trotted off for more a fartlek session on the back roads with varying degrees of incline and decline - job done, felt a little tired but nice to get out.
    10.8k in 53.19mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

It'll be a bit easier get home from England than Amsterdam at least :)

I know you've sort of taken a bit of a turn off the Half recently, but you still seem all set to post a really cracking time
    Have you changed your target for it?
    From memory I think you were training to about 82 mins or so but not sure :confused:

Best of luck and hope to speak with you on the day

DustyBin wrote: »
    It'll be a bit easier get home from England than Amsterdam at least :)

I know you've sort of taken a bit of a turn off the Half recently, but you still seem all set to post a really cracking time
    Have you changed your target for it?
    From memory I think you were training to about 82 mins or so but not sure :confused:

Best of luck and hope to speak with you on the day
    Was only ever targetting 85 doing my PHMP @ 4:02 per k. I've missed some specific sessions in the last 4 weeks so don't I'll hit that but am now thinking of running at that pace for 15-16k and seeing what happens. 85 or bust strategy ;)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was only ever targetting 85 doing my PHMP @ 4:02 per k. I've missed some specific sessions in the last 4 weeks so don't I'll hit that but am now thinking of running at that pace for 15-16k and seeing what happens. 85 or bust strategy ;)

Go out at 6:25min/mile for first few miles and see how it feels. Do you know what the course profile is like, cause the rest of your strategy will have to be made up off where the hills are.

Your 5mile time is almost identical to mine and your training paces very similar also. I think a 6:25 start and push on if it feels good, I had same doubts as you going into my half last week...

Got delayed on the runway for an hour last night so pulled forward my rest day - 8k easy at lunch time today so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'll hit that but am now thinking of running at that pace for 15-16k and seeing what happens. 85 or bust strategy ;)
    Best of luck with the running, your training has been great, nice to go into the race on a good run last week.. get to 16 k on target and i'm sure you can push on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Your training (and racing) has been great, you should be easily able for sub 85. I'm sure I'll chat to you at some stage on Sunday down there

Easy 4k first thing this morning on the treadie, headed off with the family in tow to registration - nice day in Kildare and a stop in Marlay Pk on the way home.
    All set and ready to go!
    4589131061_c80c910631.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck!

give it socks tomorrow lad, looking forward to the race report !

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Beebbeep:) Give it socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

4589131061_c80c910631.jpg

Hey Beepbeep
    I met a guy around about 11 miles or thereabouts wearing an outfit very like this. I gave him a pat on the small of the back and encouraged him to keep going. He fell in behind the 1:30 pace group for a little while but then drifted back - was that you? I was wearing a white top with a blue shoulder. Daithi BC was one of the pacers and he had white balloons.

Really sorry to read elsewhere that your quad went like that, if it was you I met you really looked in a world of pain. There's nothing you can do about injury, sh*t happens.

Good luck with your recovery and enjoy the shorter races for a while, you owe the half a stuffing and maybe you might decide to give it another shot in the future?

Look after your leg.

DustyBin wrote: »

Hey Beepbeep
    I met a guy around about 11 miles or thereabouts wearing an outfit very like this. I gave him a pat on the small of the back and encouraged him to keep going. He fell in behind the 1:30 pace group for a little while but then drifted back - was that you? I was wearing a white top with a blue shoulder. Daithi BC was one of the pacers and he had white balloons.

Really sorry to read elsewhere that your quad went like that, if it was you I met you really looked in a world of pain. There's nothing you can do about injury, sh*t happens.

Good luck with your recovery and enjoy the shorter races for a while, you owe the half a stuffing and maybe you might decide to give it another shot in the future?

Look after your leg.

Yep, thanks for that, I tried to respond, but realised quickly it wasn't worth it to save a few minutes - treating myself to some time off, epson salt baths and a massage towards the end of the week.

Sorry to hear about the tough day at office BeepBeep.

Recover well and hope the leg is on mend soon, there's a long summer there yet to tackle more races!

Well after the best part of a week of Ibu, rest and foam rollers, tried 4k of the treadie last night no issues, so headed off for 10k from the house this evening, quad started to tighten after about 6k, so stopped and had a little stretch, feels a little like a dead leg but runable.
    New route utilizing the new roads looks like some prehistoric bird on Goggle maps.

Summary: 10k in 48mins

Easy recce of Leg8 with Slogger this morning, good to refresh the memory, can't really go wrong unless you are not paying attention.
    Think I'll need to go and get a rub out on my leg though, not improving natually.

WTD - 28.1
    MTD - 81.7
    YTD - 845.8

Easy run from the house this evening out to the Morrough and back - leg not easing out - Physio planned for Weds night.

10.8k in 51:32 (4:47 per k)

• Advertisement

Yesterday fannied about at the track, lots of warm up and stretching and very few 400's.
    Tonight 6k easy before my Physio session - I'm a broken man, need to get maintenance done more often, both quads needed some work and that was painful, my calves were the main problem, particularly the left one which I had a problem with last Oct, there's scar tissue there and I was nearly in tears. 90 mins later and I don't know if I'll be able to walk again let alone run, but easy day planned again tomorrow to get the blood flowing and hopefully a cheeky mile race on Friday night.

:eek: 5:10 :D

Well I have to say an unexpected M40 PB by a whopping 9 seconds.
    Went into this carry an injury, no real speed work done and hoping run somewhere between 5:20 and 5:30.
    So went on a regular track warm up of about 2k with various drills, strides and sprints, my legs were still feeling the effects of physio on Weds night so I was well lubricated with Tiger Balm - I probably smelt like a posh GAA dressing room.
    Good crowd in the sub 5:30 mile (20+ anyway) so i started in lane 4 and made my way to inside by about 80mts to settle in about 10th place, Ryan Montgomery, Tony Collins and Richard Hourihan leading out the pace.
    Hit the 1st lap in 75 and thought oh oh too fast, but had heard a 36 split for 200, so was on 80sec pace from there and feeling fine. Nothing to report on lap 2 as the pace settled and went through in 2:35 (80 secs), took a place on the back straight as I was being pressured from behind and there was a gap of about 20mts to the next spot, had a bit of a ding dong on lap 3 as I tried to keep someone at bay by speeding up on the top bend to make them run wide and both of us hit the lap in 3:55 (80 secs again), he took off at this stage too hot for me and quickly opened a 10 mt lead, I kept it steady to about 120 to go when I dug deep to see what I had and found an extra couple of gears I closed quickly on someone ahead talking about 15mts out of them in last 80 to pip them on the line for 5:10 (woop woop) and a 75 sec last lap. Race was won in 4:54 with 5 getting under 5 and I think I finished 8th I think and 3rd M40.

Adding Results and Pix

Went into this carry an injury, no real speed work done and hoping run somewhere between 5:20 and 5:30.
    So went on a regular track warm up of about 2k with various drills, strides and sprints, my legs were still feeling the effects of physio on Weds night so I was well lubricated with Tiger Balm - I probably smelt like a posh GAA dressing room.
    Good crowd in the sub 5:30 mile (20+ anyway) so i started in lane 4 and made my way to inside by about 80mts to settle in about 10th place, Ryan Montgomery, Tony Collins and Richard Hourihan leading out the pace.
    Hit the 1st lap in 75 and thought oh oh too fast, but had heard a 36 split for 200, so was on 80sec pace from there and feeling fine. Nothing to report on lap 2 as the pace settled and went through in 2:35 (80 secs), took a place on the back straight as I was being pressured from behind and there was a gap of about 20mts to the next spot, had a bit of a ding dong on lap 3 as I tried to keep someone at bay by speeding up on the top bend to make them run wide and both of us hit the lap in 3:55 (80 secs again), he took off at this stage too hot for me and quickly opened a 10 mt lead, I kept it steady to about 120 to go when I dug deep to see what I had and found an extra couple of gears I closed quickly on someone ahead talking about 15mts out of them in last 80 to pip them on the line for 5:10 (woop woop) and a 75 sec last lap. Race was won in 4:54 with 5 getting under 5 and I think I finished 8th I think and 3rd M40.

Great report BeepBeep, really describing your good race there, very nice last lap !

Well done on the PB! :D

super running well done, All your half mara training is really paying off, So a crackat sub 5 with a few week training? Are you going to run the Bhaa trinity track?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Beepbeep. You look very comfortable in the photos. Completely unstressed. I don't know how you do it. I struggled with that pace for the 400s during the week. If I tried to hold it for 800, I think I'd collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thats a good time for the mile beepbeep...well done.
    I have never raced a mile yet,they do a mile challenge down here for 4 weeks over the summer,i will be trying it out,sub 5 is a goal and i have 4 tries to do it.

My 10k easy run this evening was cut short (better to be safe than sorry)as my leg is giving out, guess my racing strategy of a handful of Ibuprofen and half a jar of Tiger Balm didn't go down too well.
    5.2k in 26.10 - headin' to Tescos to buy a big bag of Jellies.

AM: 3k of a liberating barefoot run on the sand in Brittas Bay, could have kept going but was mindful of not doing too much on my first barefoot run and protecting the leg (4.55 per k pace) - Garmin has me running in the Irish Sea, but I was just ocassionally in shallow water.
    Lunch time: 25 degree run just to add on a few miles and check the leg, improving, but kept it short again - thought I twisted my ankle at one stage - phew false alarm! 5.2k @ 4:53 pace.
    34 miles for the week and more physio planned for Tues night.

) - Garmin has me running in the Irish Sea,
    That must be the new Jesus run your doing, barefoot , running on water... btw i've a few bottles of water in the car that you could change into a nice red wine for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on the mile time, hope the injury isn't too bad but more importantly is your wife baking for the WW relay? :D

Advertisement