Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Friday nite was spent glued to the TP roller, probably over done it and whilst I felt fine before I headed out for a trot on Carrick the wheels came off after a short descent after 2k, had to stop and stretch and prod and poke before continuing and hobbling back to car for a disappointing 5.6k.

Sunday morning woke to the nice surprise (;)) of a pair of CW-X pro shorts, but they would have to wait to loose their virginity as I headed up to the Kilcoole 5M to take some snaps. I headed out the door in a somber mood as I was missing one of my target races for the year, the Raheny Mid Summer 5k, I PB'd there last year and that was a target for sub 18.

Sunday afternoon, stuck on the cans and the CW-X's and listened to the 2nd half of NZ and Italy and cycled on my 15yr old heavy mountain bike along the back roads (hilly) to Glenealy (8.6k) where I ditched the bike and when for a run in the woods CW-X's were holding me together great and I made it to about 5k with no real issues, started to get some pain at this stage so took it easy on the downhill section (7.8k in total), before hopping back on the bike and returning home at what felt like a fair old pace for an MB at least (30km/h along the main road - I'm sure our cycling friends will tell me I must have had the brakes on) back to the house.

WTD: 10.8
    MTD: 65.4
    YTD: 984.9 - slowly chipping away at the 1k

Away with work for the next few days - might bring the CW-X's and take a few trips along the Danube and get this 1k out of the way.

Bloody knee (RHS) is sore now I must be over compensating along the way somewhere!

Monday was a disaster in Bratislava, probably a combinaton of being up at 4am, on a plane and a long day, as soon as I left the hotel I was in pain, but hoped after a little while it might ease out and even a short stop for some stretching while being savaged my mosquitos did not make any difference, so that was cut short.
    Managed a few more miles on the hotel threadmill at slow pace but at 5% elevation which seemed to work over the next few nights.
    This evening ran 4 pain free k's on Greystones rugby grounds, only could feel a little pressure in the groin area, not sure is this unrelated or maybe was being masked by the other injury, could have kept going but hopefully this is the beginning of a cautious recovery.

Had to pop down to Tescos so decided to go on the bike, once I got moving went to one in Greystones instead - 46k later nice little cycle to kick start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Had to pop down to Tescos so decided to go on the bike, once I got moving went to one in Greystones instead - 46k later nice little cycle to kick start the day.
    Did you remember the milk?

Well having raced to 800 miles at the beginning of May, it seems to have taken forever to do the last 200 - well today I finally got there.
    Injury free 9k on Carrick, the injury just feels like a strain now rather than pain - so I will continue with caution in mind and run one day on and one day off with the odd cycle thrown in. Body is starting to feel the lack of training and I'll need some mini base building again I think.

WTD: 16.9
    MTD: 82.3
    YTD: 1001.8 :D

• Advertisement

10k this evening in GRC in 47:55, no drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on hitting the 1k, and more importantly, getting over that injury. Any more races lined up, or are you base-building for the next while?

Going to take it handy until I build up the confidence - have an enforced rest day tomorrow with an over and back to the UK.
    Would like to get a week of steady running in and then add some longer / slower intervals before getting shorter and faster - hopefully squeeze in the BHAA tracks before hitting a few longer races and then it's miles, hills and muck for the Winter.

Easy run with the club in Shanganagh - groin was a little tight so bailed at 9.4k - will decide whether to run or bike tomorrow.

Cycled over the hilly back roads to Carrick (8k), ditched the bike, ran 7.5k in the lashing rain up and down hills and through puddles - great fun, groin was a little tight starting off, but forgot about while I was having a splashing time - cycled home the main road (9k)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cycled over the hilly back roads to Carrick (8k), ditched the bike, ran 7.5k in the lashing rain up and down hills and through puddles - great fun, groin was a little tight starting off, but forgot about while I was having a splashing time - cycled home the main road (9k)

Got caught in a torrential shower earlier whilst running in the woods and it was great. Felt very alive.

Handy 8.6k along the Morrough, was wondering why 4:40 seemed very comfortable until I turned around and realised I was running with the breeze - groin still sore, will take tomorrow off after 3 days in a row.

WTD: 22.1
    MTD: 15.8
    YTD: 1023.9

First evening that I've felt confident enough to try an out and back from the house - so headed on out towards the Morrough and back.
    Will start to increase the mileage and intensity this week I think.
    9.87k in 48mins.

Was half thinking of taking tonight off and heading to Navan for the 5k tomorrow nite as a tempo run, but put my sensible head back on and decided to get some training in before racing.
    So hit Shanganagh after work, bumped into a fellow cripple from the club and jogged a few miles with him before he finished. I threw in a couple of faster k's @ #6 and #8, 4:01 and 4:02 respectively, no real issues but a little tight still afterwards.
    Club are starting their Dub training this week with 4 x 2k tempos with a 2 min recovery, will join that session and see how it goes.

10.05k in 47:47

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great to see you getting back into it ! :) well done on the 1000mile mark too.

Back in the groove.
    Easy run yesterday evening by way of a mini recovery.

Tonight meet up with the club for 4 x 2k with 2 min rec, was feeling ok after the warm up so said I would go with the flow.
    1. 7:43
    2. 7:42
    3. 7:49
    4. 7:42
    Very happy with this my 1st session post injury (well I feel 90% better), will take tomorrow off as a precaution as I've moved up to 4 days in a row and that was 14.4k tonight. Hit a max HR of 174 on #4 probably a little high and will take some work to bring back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Back in the groove.
    Easy run yesterday evening by way of a mini recovery.

Tonight meet up with the club for 4 x 2k with 2 min rec, was feeling ok after the warm up so said I would go with the flow.
    1. 7:43
    2. 7:42
    3. 7:49
    4. 7:42
    Very happy with this my 1st session post injury (well I feel 90% better), will take tomorrow off as a precaution as I've moved up to 4 days in a row and that was 14.4k tonight. Hit a max HR of 174 on #4 probably a little high and will take some work to bring back down.

Nice session seems to be coming back very strong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running indeed. Good to have you back.

Handy run on Carrick before the footy - got absolutley soaked, but enjoyed it - 10.5k @ 4.57 pace.
    Invested in one of these today - should have it on road in time for the holiers in 2 weeks time.
    R10Orion1105BS.jpg
    Have picked out 5 short races to target before kicking into the Winter training:
    1. 20.07 - Lord Mayor's - 2M road
    2. 27.07 - BHAA - 1M track
    3. 04.08 - DAB #8 - 3k track
    4. 11.08 - BHAA - 3k track
    5. 25.08 - BHAA - 2M track

Note to self: I'm getting too old to drink a bottle of Pinot Grigio and several Barcardis and then think I'll go for an easy 10 miler the next day!

Anyhoo - 15.8k @ 4:43 pace, my sweat tasted like fermented grapes.

WTD: 41.5
    MTD: 57.3
    YTD: 1065.4

• Advertisement

Easy 10k run in 48mins from the house to the Morrough and back, groin and hip flexors playing up a little, have a track session planned for tomorrow and then a few days off due to work commitments.

It's been 5 weeks since I've been on the track and it showed - picked a miserable night with a steady downpour to contend with. Anyway got on with it, 1M warm up, plus stretching and drills, groin was playing up from the start so wasn't sure how that would go.
    The plan was to try and do 8 x 400 at just under 80, I should've been at 12 x 75 at this stage. Found it tough to hit the mark and went (80, 80, 81, 80, 80, 79) called it a day after 6 as the groin was starting to tighten.
    3 easy days coming up with a trip to the UK, lucky if I make the gym for a 4 miler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

It's been 5 weeks since I've been on the track and it showed - picked a miserable night with a steady downpour to contend with. Anyway got on with it, 1M warm up, plus stretching and drills, groin was playing up from the start so wasn't sure how that would go.
    The plan was to try and do 8 x 400 at just under 80, I should've been at 12 x 75 at this stage. Found it tough to hit the mark and went (80, 80, 81, 80, 80, 79) called it a day after 6 as the groin was starting to tighten.
    3 easy days coming up with a trip to the UK, lucky if I make the gym for a 4 miler.

Still not a bad session after a 5 week break from it , hope the groin is ok.

4 miles on the hotel treadie this morning....urgh 31:30

Test spin on the new bike, testing the commute - 34.56k @ 28.9km/h, followed by 7.2k on the treadie @ 4.49 min per k. I think that's my 1st brick session done!

Easy 10miler from the house, found it very humid out there at 1pm, could have done with some water.

WTD: 29.6 (bike - 34.6k)
    MTD: 86.9
    YTD: 1095.0

Ran an easy 6k on grass on Monday, but sweated heavily.

Tonight is part of my race myself back to fitness strategy - I've only averaged 24 miles per week since the WWR and the majority of my solid base work is gone. Wasn't sure what to expect tonight with only 2 sessions - but went in optimistic anyway.
    Race started and my legs were dead, no zip, a group that I was on par with last year opened up a good 30mt gap in the first half mile or so and it didn't get much better from there. Mile 1 went by in 5:45 and I was already breathing heavy, Mile 2 although I was working hard was 5:58 and hitting a max HR of 181 :eek:. So 11:43 it was, 22 secs slower than the same race last year - so lots of work for me and loads of room for improvement - only positive is no reaction from the injury, so back to the grindstone, hoping to improve that by 5-10 secs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

saw your name on the results sheet alright - not too shabby considering you're recent training. I'll have to make it down to the next one - I might just give you a run for your money :D

^ There's a scalp up for grabs alright - but I'll be on your back in Park duos next year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

^ There's a scalp up for grabs alright - but I'll be on your back in Park duos next year ;)

Oh but I've got an ace up my sleeve in the form of a new rothar, it shall be unveiled very soon.....

Advertisement