Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

^ it's all in the legs MrC :cool:

Felt wrecked this evening and groin was a little tight from last night - so just done an easy 7.6k around Shanganagh. Hopefully will join the club for some tempos tomorrow evening.

Club were doing 4 x 2k tempos tonight, which is a session I enjoy, but after some consideration I decided I needed something shorter and faster in advance of my next few short races - so 6 x 600mts on grass it was, with 75sec recovery.
    1. 1:59 - MaxHR 167
    2. 1:59 - MaxHR 173
    3. 2:02 - MaxHR 174
    4. 2:01 - MaxHR 176
    5. 1:57 - MaxHR 178
    6. 1:55 - MaxHR 179
    Happy with this was aiming for 2's which is just under 3k pace, had to concentrate to keep the pace and the HR was a little high.
    10.8k in total

Handy run from the house this evening, first evening where I've felt the zip coming back into the legs.
    10.1k @ 4:38 per k.

On 2 weeks holidays from yesterday so took the OH out for an Indian last night which included a Mohito, 4 beers and an Irish coffee, al the same I was on the bike this morning at 8:15 (don't think I could have run) for an extended spin to collect the car.
    Summary: 30.18k @ 31.5 km/h

This afternoon hit Carrick for a mucky hill run - the ground was in bits after a MTB race, found the going easy at first but tired a little in the middle.
    Summary: 11.3k @ 4:53 min/km

Out for a nice spin on the bike this morning out through Rathdrum - Avoca - Arklow and back the N11. Fairly flat route so you're peddling most of the time, nice little climb coming out of Avoca where I tried to have an energy bar (not a good idea when climbling). Hit the N11 at 35k and was just over 25 km/h so I put the head down to knock out some fast k's and flew past some other cyclists on route, took a gel at 40k and about 500mls of Lucozade sport in total. Ended up with 56.8k in 2:05 @ 27.2km/h.
    Spent about 5mins getting changed and setting up Sky Player and jumped on the Tredie for 10k starting easy at 12 km/h and increasing 0.1 every k to finish in 48:24.
    Good morning's effort of 3hrs in total including the transition.

|RUN |BIKE
    WTD|63.2k|87k
    MTD|203k|138k
    YTD|1,825k|202k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to see you enjoying the bike BB, breathing is hard enough going up hills never mind eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Jaysus, good training there, i did pretty much the same on the bike as you today and when i got back it as back to bed for me, never mind doing 6miles on the dreadmill

Thanks chaps enjoying getting out on bike alright and looking forward to getting a few longer ones in before the Winter.
    @ UL what's bed? The afternoon was spent doing about 16 laps of Dundrum Town Centre while trying to catch glimpses of galway underperforming for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great gonig Beepbeep. That's a great pace on the bike.
    When are you going to start on the swimming? :)

Must have been Chakra? Nice food!

Great gonig Beepbeep. That's a great pace on the bike.
    When are you going to start on the swimming? :)

Must have been Chakra? Nice food!

Swimming is a weak area and I don't have the time to do anything about it unfortunatley.

mmmmmm very nice food, but 10x the price I used to pay in India ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have you tried Ananda in the Dundrum Shopping Centre? Slightly more expensive again (for special occasions!) but the food is superb (though I doubt you'll find too much in common with food in India). A michelin in the making, I reckon, if they can survive the economic threats.

I say, less training, more food discussions!

I'm all for a food Sticky on here - the stickier the better!!!

Legs were feeling the effects of 2 cycles so just done 4k very easy yesterday morning.

Tonight legs weren't much better probably over done it a little at the weekend (first time the groin was tight in about 2 weeks), but these races are just training sessions, not serious and more interesting than a tempo session by myself.
    Kicked off and felt a little better for about 400mts and seemed closer to the group I should be with, but I tried to focus on my own rhythm, first lap came around quickly and I heard 5:45, around the same as last week so I was a little disappointed, but kept plugging away - strangely I found myself in no mans land on the 2nd lap about 40 mts behind the 2nd lady and no sign of life behind me - so it was just about holding it together. Felt like I got a little 2nd wind with about 800 to go, but that was short lived and I just wanted the finish to come quickly from about 250 to go.
    5:52 for the 2nd mile which meant I held together a little better this week and clocked 11:37, a 6 sec improvement from last week so just on target, but it was hard work - max HR was 176 down 5 from last - so things are moving in the right direction, but I'm missing speed and endurance and I don't think I'll enough of both in the next 4 weeks, but will aim to go sub 11:30 in BHAA Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Legs were feeling the effects of 2 cycles so just done 4k very easy yesterday morning.

Tonight legs weren't much better probably over done it a little at the weekend (first time the groin was tight in about 2 weeks), but these races are just training sessions, not serious and more interesting than a tempo session by myself.
    Kicked off and felt a little better for about 400mts and seemed closer to the group I should be with, but I tried to focus on my own rhythm, first lap came around quickly and I heard 5:45, around the same as last week so I was a little disappointed, but kept plugging away - strangely I found myself in no mans land on the 2nd lap about 40 mts behind the 2nd lady and no sign of life behind me - so it was just about holding it together. Felt like I got a little 2nd wind with about 800 to go, but that was short lived and I just wanted the finish to come quickly from about 250 to go.
    5:52 for the 2nd mile which meant I held together a little better this week and clocked 11:37, a 6 sec improvement from last week so just on target, but it was hard work - max HR was 176 down 5 from last - so things are moving in the right direction, but I'm missing speed and endurance and I don't think I'll enough of both in the next 4 weeks, but will aim to go sub 11:30 in BHAA Zurich.

I thought I saw you whipping past my eyes on the last corner, lookin' good. Didn't see you around the finish area, I presumed you were gone on a wd jog.

8k recovery run this morning while watching the women 'walk' around Barcelona 40 secs per k faster than what it said on my treadie :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

8k recovery run this morning while watching the women 'walk' around Barcelona 40 secs per k faster than what it said on my treadie :eek:.
    Thats funny, But untill your getting your 10k times down to the 38/9 mark there will always be someone walking faster :)

Back after a whistle stop tour of Sligo and Leitrim.

Thursday (Sligo) - ran out of time a little and managed to squeeze in an easy 10k from the hotel with a couple of quicker k's towards the end to finish in 46:20.
    Friday (Ballinamore) - Nice 13.35k loop from the house kept it pretty steady and again a couple of faster ones towards the end to finish in just over the hour. That happened to be 4 different counties in 4 days.
    Saturday - had planned to get up early and run the same loop again, but an evening of Chinese food and lager, a post 1am bedtime and the smell of boxty and bacon put pay to that - so legged it back home via Cavan and a quick gander at the 22k race and on to Newcastle to my nephew's 1st b'day party, so decided to run home from there instead for an easy 11.5k in 55mins (note to self don't eat chocolate cake an hour before running as the last 3k were butt clenching).
    Plan to take a short spin on the bike to the Parnell 5k and take a few shots with my compact tomorrow and try and squeeze in some intervals later.

This morning cycled down to Rathdrum to watch the Parnell 5k and take a few pix with the OH's ickle Fuji 32k out and back. Met a chap from Kilcoole in Glenealy so we shared the load for about 6k, my first experience of drafting - makes life easier alright.
    This evening after plans to make it to Charlesland fell apart at various times throughout the day I finally made it to the local GAA grounds for 8 x 200 (36,36,36,37,37,33,34,34) - happy enough with these on wet grass in trail shoes.

|RUN|BIKE
    WTD|63.44k|32.51k
    MTD (July)|257.15k|138.39k
    YTD|1,888.44k|234.36k

Easy 10k loop of Wicklow Town @ 4:55 per k pace - met Abhainn off on a spin on his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Easy 10k loop of Wicklow Town @ 4:55 per k pace - met Abhainn off on a spin on his bike.

Thankfully I was returning and just 200m from home :)

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Thankfully I was returning and just 200m from home :)

The best part of the spin ;).
    I'm around Thurs tro Sat if you fancy a spin - I'm up for 50 - 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The best part of the spin ;).
    I'm around Thurs tro Sat if you fancy a spin - I'm up for 50 - 80k.

Your up to 80k already? Good man
    I'm doing the Mourne tri on Sat so I'm trying to get in my last bike on Wed eve (Thurs - rest, Fri easy run)

Well it's been over 13 years since I last raced 800m and wasn't very good at it back then.
    Wasn't sure what to expect really, my early season mile time suggested 2:20, but that form is currently a distant memory, while my recent 2M time suggests 2:27, so I went into this race aiming for 2:24, with an optimistic target of 2:20 in the back of my mind.
    So went through my standard track warm up, 2k jog, stretching, sprints and drills. Schedule was ahead of time so we were called about 10 mins early for the start so the last few minutes were rushed but not stressed.
    Lined up in lane 6 in a group of 12 with lanes 3,4,5 + 6 doubled up.
    Just concentrated on running my own race and settled in 10th after the break, pulled one place off the bend to hit the bell in 9th and 71 secs, coming down the back straight the leaders started pulling away and I tried to wind it up myself, but I think I was pretty much at max at that stage, but took another place at the top of the bend as I hit the home straight I found something extra and was closing on 7th but the line came too quickly. So 8th it was and another 71 sec lap for 2:22 (watch time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Nice going, thats good racing!

I've an 800m next Tuesday and have inside 2:20 in my head, tho maybe < 2:22 will do ;)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Nice going, thats good racing!

I've an 800m next Tuesday and have inside 2:20 in my head, tho maybe < 2:22 will do ;)

Go on ya blaggard - ya wouldn't have got near me when I was your age ;).
    I had forgotten how the lungs and legs can burn over 800mts - you have that to look forward to next week :D - and with your recent mile time I expect to see 2:18 so HTFU and don't set soft targets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Go on ya blaggard - ya wouldn't have got near me when I was your age ;).
    I had forgotten how the lungs and legs can burn over 800mts - you have that to look forward to next week :D - and with your recent mile time I expect to see 2:18 so HTFU and don't set soft targets!

I prob wouldn't have got near ya !!
    Your like Sosa and Gringo telling me to HTFU, I'm looking forward to the 800m though, it'll be tough, but I'm getting used to the track races now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

2.22 is very good going for an aul fella like you, kudos sir :p

christeb wrote: »
    2.22 is very good going for an aul fella like you, kudos sir :p

Not too bad for a has-been, if only I could string 52 of those together I could just give Gebrselassie a run for his money :eek:

Ran out of time today so just went for a steady 10k around Wicklow @ 9pm in 44:53 - hr a little high at 153 - no food since 2pm.

1hr 'farlek' on the bike this morning hills and flat intervals - managed a max hr of 171 :eek: cycling up past the Devil's Glen - 31k.

• Advertisement

PM: 8k on the treadie while watching sky player 38:20 - 4:48 pace.

Advertisement