Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've been taking Ibu about 2 hours before my runs, but decided to skip it yesterday, pain was more noticeable alright, but managed my easy 10k and got through the remainder of the long run special yesterday evening.
    This morning had my assessment: Difficult to say the how, but after been put through various positions and asked to performed little pushes and stretches etc, it more than likely came from some twisting action from the obliques which in turn has pulled something. The only area that seems inflamed from what he could tell is the inguinal (spelling) ligament which he done some friction on, followed by ultra sound and heat pads.
    Reckons I'm a little too loose around the hips/pelvis which may not have helped, so once I'm on the mend I'm on a core strengthening diet, have a bunch of streches to do a few times a day before heading back next week.
    Still want to do Rathfarnham, but will make a very late call on that, if I even consider as I would have like to run it off the back of some solid sessions.
    This evening was very tender, so just went for an easy spin on bike - 34k @ 28km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sounds like a good diagnosis. Interested to know what "a core stregthening diet" looks like?

Stuck to the 10k plan this evening but tweaked it up slightly to 4:45 pace, felt reasonably ok to about 7k (felt a slight jar as I skipped over a little wall near the end - idiot!), I'll bank that as progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

dna_leri wrote: »
    Sounds like a good diagnosis. Interested to know what "a core stregthening diet" looks like?

Didn't mean that to be a pedantic pat spellchecker, I would actually be interested in how your diet can improve your core.

I have heard the expression that a 6-pack (abs) is made in the kitchen as much as the gym, just wonder how.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Didn't mean that to be a pedantic pat spellchecker, I would actually be interested in how your diet can improve your core.

I have heard the expression that a 6-pack (abs) is made in the kitchen as much as the gym, just wonder how.

Diet in the methaphorical sense - it'll be exercise based, unless I'm chewing on my foam roller.

• Advertisement

Busy day today, but managed 10k on the treadie in between meetings, kept it easy in 49:26 - stomach held up pretty well and I'm going through my stretches whenever I can. Thinking Rathfarnham is too risky, maybe keep banking the miles instead - this is turning into a reasonable base mileage week if I'm looking for positives!

Was planning to run 12k today - but heard that there's a 5k tomorrow starting 1 mile from house - oh the temptation - so ran 6k just in case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was planning to run 12k today - but heard that there's a 5k tomorrow starting 1 mile from house - oh the temptation - so ran 6k just in case ;)
    I know that all too well, Though the 10 miles today would put racing out of my mind for a while, but have check the time for a 5k XC race tomororw...sure its only 5k. Will see tomorrow would be better with an easy 6.

What 5k race is this one?

shels4ever wrote: »
    What 5k race is this one?

The local Rugby club are having a sponsored run on the old Wicklow 5k route.

So decided to run the local 5k this morning, so left the house about 45mins before the start with a few Ibu popped and liberal smearing of Tiger Balm.
    Nothing much to report, took it handy and gradually worked my way up to 3rd, where I stayed - for anyone who knows the course it's not a particularly fast one, with a nice climb on the 2nd k. Stomach struggled a bit running downhill and was tight afterwards. So came home in 18:42 with a leisurely AvHR of 164.
    Feel more comfortable doing the Novice next week but would need to HTFU.
    About 6miles in total.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

So decided to run the local 5k this morning, so left the house about 45mins before the start with a few Ibu popped and liberal smearing of Tiger Balm.
    Nothing much to report, took it handy and gradually worked my way up to 3rd, where I stayed -

Did you win a prize? I had toyed with the idea of going along to commence an epic M40 battle, but (wisely!) did my LSR instead:)

Did you win a prize? I had toyed with the idea of going along to commence an epic M40 battle, but (wisely!) did my LSR instead:)

You would've needed to catch Sean Dunne who won and is M40 (under 18mins) - but to beat me I'm not sure your trip would have been worth it for a shoe bag!!!
    Good turn out though - 90ish.

12k after work handy enough @ 4:46 pace, stomach feels likes it's on the mend (planned on doing 10, but kept going) - except when I coughed when I was finished - bloody Nora!!
    Little piece of good news, the Novice on Sunday has been switched from Avondale to Roundwood and vice versa, I think this suits me as there is a steep uneven descent on each lap in Avondale which I wasn't looking forward to putting my stomach through (I'm easily pleased these days).

Was in some discomfort from the off this evening so turned down the pace and just concentrated on time on my feet - 12k around Shanganagh in 61mins.
    Oh and 1500 miles for 2010.

With a few XC races coming up tried to add a bit of quality to the training tonight, no joy, stomach packed in after 2 miles (5 1/2 week stomach injury - what's that all about) - anyway back with the sports physio tomorrow - was hoping to start the core work, but guess it's more treatment.
    4.5 miles at blah blah pace with 2 miles at faster than blah blah pace.

anyway back with the sports physio tomorrow - was hoping to start the core work, but guess it's more treatment.

So no improvement :( - I kinda knew that anyway, so I need to step back to every other day and go easy with the XC races.
    Have been given some core exercises to do, of the holding and breathing type.

So no improvement :( - I kinda knew that anyway, so I need to step back to every other day and go easy with the XC races.
    Have been given some core exercises to do, of the holding and breathing type.

Fingers crossed it recovers soon, I had a similar problem years ago when playing football too a good while to recover too.

Ran a painful 5k easy run on Friday, made the decision to relent to the injury and stop and take y'day off also. Had only minimal hopes of turning out for the Novice XC today after a few painful days, so said I'd run a couple of k on the treadie to see how I felt this morning - when I switched it on it told me I needed to lube the belt (think someone was telling me something), so played cautiously and stuck on my jeans and grabbed the camera instead.
    Race was won by Jonathan Phillips quite comfortably, followed by Tony Collins and Scott Graham, if fit reckon I could have had a top 6/8 finish.
    Photos here:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Thanks for the great shots, best of luck with the recovery & take your time before moving into overdrive.:D

Haven't been able to do a whole pile in the last week apart from a couple of short easy runs on grass [still very sore afterwards] a physio session [ultra-sound, laser and heat] and a couple of spins on the bike [no reaction from injury when biking], cycled down to watch the Wicklow Intermediate XC [Pix in linky] in Avondale this morning, it had a few guests in it but the official top 3 were:
    1. Richard Owens [Bray Runners]
    2. Richard Hourihan [Kilcoole AC]
    3. Sean Dunne [Inbhear Dee]

• Advertisement

:D Ran a pain free 10k at lunch time, finishing with a 4:15k........now I'm tempted to do something at the weekend I probably shouldn't :confused:

:D Ran a pain free 10k at lunch time, finishing with a 4:15k........now I'm tempted to do something at the weekend I probably shouldn't :confused:

Wouldn't be a 5 mile cross country race would it?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a 5 mile cross country race would it?

That would an easy decision - I have an entry for the Amsterdam Half on Sunday :rolleyes:

That would an easy decision - I have an entry for the Amsterdam Half on Sunday :rolleyes:
    Nice

Less than prepared would be a nice way of calling the run up to this one, a stomach injury has put pay to any decent training, so this was run on the back of some spins on the bike, core work, 4 Ibus and the memory of putting one foot in front of the other lots of times eventually gets you around the course, this would actually be my longest run since the beginning Apr if you exclude the walking I had to do in Kildare HM due to a different injury. I probably shouldn't have run this but I was over there anyway, I nearly swapped to the 8k the day before the race when I seen they had a swap race section at the expo, but in the end I wanted to experience a big city event.
    The plan was to get around in sub 90 and try to enjoy and take in what was going on around me. Got caught up watching the marathon and left myself short of time to get to the baggage drop and skipped the queue (:o) to drop off my gear and jogged / sidestepped about 500mts to the start to get there with 5mins to spare and got myself about 20mts from the front.
    Took about 100mts only to get going and I was surprised to see a sub 4 first k, so just concentrated on easing off a little and getting into a nice stride as I knew that pace would do me know favours later on with my lack of endurance work. However the 1st few k's clipped along nicely and felt very easy as I chatted to a few lads from Manchester and another guy from Rome, all aiming for 86 / 87 mins, but I felt fresh and stayed along for the ride. 5k came along in 20:16, I'm feeling good, but decided to ease back a little and soon 4:05's and 4:08's start popping up on the splits, so I'm still banking time from my 4:15 target pace and go through 10k in 40:50 (1:40 ahead of schedule). The section immediately after 10k isn''t the prettiest and my Italian friend comes back to me going through a little bad patch so I ran with him at 4:12 pace for a couple of K, and then started to increase the pace a little to stay with a group that came passed us - 15k in 1:01:41. At this stage I was caught in 2 minds, the HR was starting to rise a little and I was feeling up for a battle, but decided to remain cautious (good decision). The course now turns back onto the canal for a nice section before entering Vondel pk, I had some nice support at the 10M mark from the group I was over with and as we entered Vondel pk a nice scene where a runner just in front of me left the race the hug his 2 kids. I was started to feel tired in Vondel pk and a quick check of the watch showed I had done my work, so I eased off and took in the scenery, my Italian friend tried to drag me along, but I told him I was fine and to go for it. Lots of crowds cheering here, it really is a well supported event and I was surprised with the numbers all around the course and their enthusiastic encouragement. So I jogged the last 5k in just over 22mins and what a feeling entering the Olympic stadium, I'm sure everyone feels like champions with the crowds and support, I came around the last bend and seen the clock ticking towards 1:29 so put on a little sprint to finish just under that and a chip time of 1:28:44.
    Amsterdam Half, I would recommended this without a doubt and I'll be back when fully fit to knock a chunk off that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice one. You picked a nice spot for a half marathon. Cool place to be pre and post race too.

How to cure a stomach injury: Run a HM at a faster pace than you've trained for - then the pain in your quads outweigh any other pains.

Monday: Hot bath
    Tuesday: 3 miles easy at lunch time, legs in bits, stomach no worse than before.
    Easy running for the remainder of this week and then hopefully some serious stuff to get ready for a few XC's and a 10k if I can find one.

Easy run this evening on road and grass - 4.25 mls, stomach still sore along with a host of other aches and pains - must check my birth cert, I feel like I was born in the 40's or 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great stuff in the Amsterdam Half, nice to run a race and enjoy it like that.
    I'm hoping the stomach pains clear up for ya!

• Advertisement

Easy run around Carrick this morning 10.7k, had hoped to run for a little longer as I'd taken 3 days complete rest, but it was disappointing to feel the stomach get progressively worse from about 6k especially on the downhills. Don't know what to do next - answers on a postcard pls.
    Only 14 miles for the week.

Advertisement