Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gentle run around Shanganagh this evening, slight improvement, but managed 8k without it getting worse.

Groundhog day today, more of the same, pace is slow, pain is manageable, will keep it slow and easy and see how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Groundhog day today, more of the same, pace is slow, pain is manageable, will keep it slow and easy and see how things go.

Is there much news on the injury, seems to be there for a while now is it bene looked at? its terrible running with pain actually i've only been running pain free for 2-3 week now and havent though about it in a while :)

Hope you recover soon.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Is there much news on the injury, seems to be there for a while now is it bene looked at? its terrible running with pain actually i've only been running pain free for 2-3 week now and havent though about it in a while :)

Hope you recover soon.

It's getting marginally better, haven't been for treatment since before the half, will run/bike this week and do the fit 4 life as a training session on Sunday and I might take a full week off after that with a couple of treatments.

Same again tonight, with the addition of adding in 4 x 600 with the 2M in mind at the weekend. Only planning to run at 6min pace as a short tempo, so ran the 600's in 2:15 just to test the body, actually the fatest I've run since the end of Aug, shows how long since I done a session hit the stop botton instead of the lap button on the 2nd rep. Stomach felt tight while doing them, but ok afterwards, so will take a few handy days now.
    Last mid-week daylight run in Shanganagh this evening :(, will miss that until Feb, back to the roads and pavements mid-week so. Heading into town to spend my WWR voucher tomorrow on a decent headlamp - @Slogger @Donot - night time hill running anyone?

• Advertisement

Fri: Easy 6k run @ 5min pace - no drama.
    Sat: Day off just as a precaution.
    Sun: Ran the 2M Fit4Life in Arklow as a fast training session and I needed to clock up 3 more races to be eligible for the series, although with the wind, tight turns and lack of fitnness I was working harder than expected to hit my planned 6 min per mile pace. Ended up with 12:09, clocked 70mts long by the Garmin and 5:57 average pace, with an average HR of 171.
    15th out of 53, 3rd M40 (nice box of Cadbury's Heroes for my troubles).
    So job done, stomach didn't give out too much, hopefully I can focus on rebuilding from here.
    WTD: 22.8 (5 days)
    MTD: 89.6 (17 days)
    YTD: 1595.2 (252 days - 82.9%)
    Races YTD: 22

Hello Winter:
    Dark, Wet, Windy, Tarmac - all that's missing is the Cold for a full house.
    Ran from the house up to the new road that goes between the Rockey Road and the Marlton Road, this is actually a nice little training lap of 2.1k starting 700mts from the house, it's undulating so you get a chance to work a little on it and the wind tonight added a little extra factor, so the mile splits were between 7:36 and 8:09 for the same effort.
    Right quad tightened a little after 6k, but the stomach was only tight, not sore.
    10.2k @ 4:54pace @ 154 AvHR

Headed to Shanganagh after work for an easy run, just me, my new Petzl Tikka XP2 and a tight right quad.
    The light from the Petzl is great, but mad watching the rain fly past parallel to the ground.
    Kept it easy for a gentle 8k, quad is a little sore (same as after Kildare), but not stopping me running.

Nice trot around Carrick Mountain in ideals conditions with Slogger in the dark, nice and handy and great to have a bit of company, bit of work for the 1st 5k and then handy enough back down to the finish for 9.2k in 45mins.
    Met a bloke walking his dog on the way back in the pitch dark!

Great weather out there!
    Same as Weds easy run around Shanganagh in the dark, felt like I could have gone longer and faster but stuck to the plan - 8.2k in 40mins.

• Advertisement

The OH was up at 3am this morning to get organised for a flight to the UK and I woke so had a coffee with her (mistake), never really got back to sleep after that, so after getting the kids ready school and all that, headed up to Carrick for a run. 10.8k at a handy pace (5:06) - can't remember half of it as I kept wanting to go to sleep. Stomach was a little sore after slipping on a leaf covered rock - just 30mins easy tomorrow anyway.

Looking after the kids for the weekend on your todd takes planning to fit a run in.
    Yesterday was only a recovery run so squeezed in 6k on the treadie before they woke up.
    Today Luke had an early Rugby match so that wasn't an option, so after we got back home and they were feed and watered, I set them a challenge of telling me every 10mins what time is was and if they done that they would get a treat.
    So I managed 80mins on the treadie :eek: while watching the start of the NYC marathon - 16.62k in the bag.
    Week turned out as planned, ran 7 days easy, with one run of 10miles+, first 40mile+ week in 9 weeks. Plan for next week is +10% mileage and one hill session.

WTD: 42.9 (7 days)
    MTD: 42.9 (7 days)

YTD: 1638.1 (259 days - 83.3%)

Followed up yesterday with a 10.3k run this evening @ 5min pace.
    Stomach seems ok though a few surrounding areas are giving out, groin & hip flexors in particular, will put it down to 80mins on the treadie and hit some hills tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I set them a challenge of telling me every 10mins what time is was and if they done that they would get a treat.

Welcome to my world :D I sometimes leave mine in charge of music selection to keep them busy while I run.... except I invariably end up running to Alvin and the Chipmunks. Not good!

Warm up followed by 6 x 1 min hills (240mts) into a stiff headwind, felt pressure in the stomach area but recovered quickly and reduced the warm down.

Just me, 3 layers, hat and glooves for 6 soliatary laps around Shanganagh in the dark. Bit chilly kicking off, but warmed up nicely.
    12.2k @ 5min pace.

One way of 'Fighting the Elements' is to make a commitment to me people for a run. This could have been a very nasty night, but in the end it was just windy. Didn't plan another session this week but the club were doing 3 x 10mins at tempo pace, so I tagged along at tempo+ pace (4:15 per k), but this was equal effort rather than equal pace with the wind.
    Glad to have in done all the same - 11k

After reading Bazman's answers I realised we do our recovery runs at the same pace. So this evening I eased back completely and ran 4 miles very slow.

Pressed for time today so just time for short steady 8k progression run:
    • 2k - 9:44
    • 2k - 9:16
    • 2k - 9:06
    • 2k - 8:49
    36:55

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good to see you back fully BB, is the stomach completely better now?

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good to see you back fully BB, is the stomach completely better now?

Almost, thanks. Still feel a little twinge down there when upping the pace - enough to remind me to keep doing my stretching routine and I can't do proper lunges yet.

Couple of laps of Wicklow Town while listening to 5Live, felt very comfortable, but the stomach tired towards the end.
    18.3k in 88mins 4:50 min/k
    Ticked all the planned boxes again this week, plan for next week is to front load for 4 days and then take a few easy days, drop back to 40miles.

WTD: 46.2 (7 days)
    MTD: 89.1 (14 days)
    YTD: 1684.3 (266 days - 83.6%)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Couple of laps of Wicklow Town while listening to 5Live

What type of radio do you have beep ?
    I was listening to newstalk today for the ars/eve game and reception was not great....

Sosa wrote: »
    What type of radio do you have beep ?
    I was listening to newstalk today for the ars/eve game and reception was not great....

It's just a little Sony one about the size of a match box, with FM/MW, digital tuner and a signal boost.
    Very like this one:

One of those sh1ty runs this evening.
    Went to Shanganagh after work, 6 hours since I had last eaten, legs were tired, I was tired, stomach was sore, didn't want to be there, that was 16 days in a row since I started getting back to it, maybe some fatigue.
    Kept going anyway, popped over the bridge to the far side for a change of scenery nice 1.2k loop on trail, managed to squeeze out 9.75k slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

One of those sh1ty runs this evening.
    Went to Shanganagh after work, 6 hours since I had last eaten, legs were tired, I was tired, stomach was sore, didn't want to be there, that was 16 days in a row since I started getting back to it, maybe some fatigue.
    Kept going anyway, popped over the bridge to the far side for a change of scenery nice 1.2k loop on trail, managed to squeeze out 9.75k slow.
    What time were you there? I was there tonight, complete with head-torch and didn't spot any other masochists.

What time were you there? I was there tonight, complete with head-torch and didn't spot any other masochists.

About 7 - I was going so slow - I probably looked static!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Not on bike lately?
    I'm out Sat or Sun morning (whichever is better conditions) if you fancy a couple of hrs free wheeling

Abhainn wrote: »
    Not on bike lately?
    I'm out Sat or Sun morning (whichever is better conditions) if you fancy a couple of hrs free wheeling

A spin would be nice, but I'm only free in the afternoons, Luke has Rugby on Sat morning and I'm going to do a race on Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Felt much better this evening so stuck with the original planned hill session.
    So warm up - 4.5k plus stretching,
    8 x 1min hills - jog back recovery, focussing on exaggerated hands and knees.
    Warm down - 1.9k
    Felt strong doing the hills and gave the last 3 a lash finishing in 54-52-49.
    10.2k in total

P.S. wore the Lidl base layers this evening for the first time, done the job.

Advertisement