Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I hit the park this evening, and it was indeed pretty crap. The fields at the bottom were fine though. Best to park up by the bottom fields for the time being (head down past the Shankill Tennis courts) and stay down there. The bridge over the Dart line is lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

10k recovery run along The Murrough this evening, left the watch at home for a change and just ran at a perceived easy pace, which was needed after 4 days of console watching on the treadie.

Ran out of time today due to the Christmas shopping relay that took place between, Dundrum, The Square & C'mines, but at least that's the end of that.
    So just managed to squeeze in 40mins along the Murrough in fading light, hopefully a longish one with the club in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ran out of time today due to the Christmas shopping relay that took place between, Dundrum, The Square & C'mines,

A Trinity of Hell right there, well done on surviving that ordeal!

It's a bit of a 'Bermuda Triangle' alright, I lost about half a month's wages in there and the chances of recovering it is non-existent!

• Advertisement

Nice gentle run in Shanganagh with the club, various paces and groups on a nice morning for a run. Tired a little towards the end as the grass was soft, but a good 22.22k workout @ 4:54 min/k pace.

WTD: 50.1 (7 days)
    MTD: 89.0 (12 days)
    YTD: 1886.0 (294 days - 85.0%)

Races YTD: 23

Monday - long day, just about squeezed in a 6k recovery run.
    Tuesday - W/U - 12 x 250mts hills (avg - 57secs) with jog back recovery - W/D.
    Nice little session which I grew into, 60-58 for the first 2, with a couple of lows of 53, 54, was blowing a bit by the time I hit the last 4, but kept the time consistent. That's my 6 weeks of hills done, onto intervals and tempos for the next 6.
    Total: 12.3k in 1hr and some change.

Nothing much to write home about this evening, got out of work on time and made it into Shanganagh for an easy 50mins, clocking up 10.3k in the process. Feel like I'm starting to get a cough so need to try and knock that on the head, coughing and my ab injury don't go hand in hand very well.

Talking the kids to see Aladdin in the Gaiety tonight, so had to squeeze in an early lunch time quickie.
    W/U - 5k in 19:37 (4:00/4:00/3:57/3:53/3:47) - W/D, planned to be a tempo @ 4min pace, but felt good and seen no harm in increasing the pace with a few races gone by the wayside recently.
    Total 8.4k in 37:15

Nice trot from the house out to Kiloughter and back. Was bloody freezing when I left the house, so my first slightly downhill k was 4:20 to get the blood flowing before settling into my planned easy pace.
    Was surprised to meet so many out running tonight, people must be banking the miles in case the snow comes again and even more surprised to meet a few more head torches bobbing away along the coast.
    All in all 14.1k @ 4:49 pace.

• Advertisement

Long run out of the way early as I'm kiddie sitting today.
    21k from the house via some diversions to the Cullenmore and back, met Ian (SJ's mate) along the way and we done a few miles together - 1:39 (4:43 pace).

Last Sunday before Christmas, the last of the shopping and a kiddies Christmas party, meant trying to get out of bed before 8am for run and I did try serveral times and eventually got up made a cup of coffee and duly got back into bed - sometimes you just need to.
    Eventually got back home and just done enough on the treadie to bring up 50miles for the week - 8.4k in 42mins and some change.
    That's 4 consecutive 50 mile weeks, so a lighter week coming up with Christmas and a 5k at the end of it.
    Ran 311 days last year can hit 313 this year if I keep going!

WTD: 50.0 (7 days)
    MTD: 139.0 (19 days)
    YTD: 1936.0 (301 days - 85.3%)

Easy recovery run this evening on the treadie as the paths are icy.
    So it was 10k @ 11.7 kmph - 51:20.
    Hoping to get some track work tomorrow evening - not looking forward to trying to replicate on the treadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

After 6.5k on the treddie today i had to get off, had begun to eat my arms. 50min i have not done in a while. I can get on a spin bike for ages on end, but when it comes to the the treddie i just can't. Gimme the hail, rain, snow, heat (not ice though)

I think it stems back to a few years ago when i first started to lose the weight and went to the gym, i could spend 90 +min on it, so i may have used up any willpower to stay on then.

I have some Post Its of times I want to hit at various distances next year and some A races and when I feel like stopping I look at those and think how I will feel after I stop or if I miss a time by 2 secs..

Found it hard to get motivated to get on the treadie after building a snowman and pointlessly clearing the drive.
    Was meant to be back on the track tonight for the 1st time since Aug, so that was disappointment enough.
    In the end just jumped on for 6k, 4k in 20:05, 1k in 4:30 and 1k in 4:00.
    Need to figure out a good session for the treadie tomorrow!

Lunch Time Treadie Session

2k W/U @ 11.7kmph / 1%
    Some static stretches
    3 x 2k @ 16kmph with 0.4k rec @ 10kmph / 1%
    1.2k W/D @ 10-12kmph /1%

Total 10k in 43:35

Was dreading having this hanging over me, so when I got a window of opportunity I hoped on and went for it.
    Wasn't as bad as I expected and diverting my eyes away from the panel and counting steps helped visualize where I might be on the track.

Just an easy 50min lunch time treadie run to keep ticking along.
    Still snowing here and I'm getting in a daily core workout clearing the driveway.
    10.37k in 50mins (4:49pace)

Not enough hours in the day - but squeezed in my 6k recovery run.

Nollaig Shona Duit!

Santa Claus came very early yesterday - 04:30 early, so after completing my degree in toy assembly engineering, headed down the Murrough for a snowy 6k about 8:30.

Today went back down the Murrough but underfoot conditions had changed considerably for the worse, managed to get in just over 8.3k, looking forward to the thaw!

WTD: 36.5 (7 days)
    MTD: 175.5 (26 days)
    YTD: 1972.4 (308 days - 85.6%)

• Advertisement

The outlaws are coming today - so it was out early doors for an easy 10k @ 4:47 km/h.
    Hope the track is open tomorrow!

Adidas response Cushion 19's reduced to €50 in Lifestyle, minus a €30 voucher = a half decent mid-mileage trainers for €20 - Sweet!
    Visiting more outlaws on the way home, the eldest one who got a drum kit for Christmas - so it was on with the emergency running gear from the boot and out the door to leave 'Ian Paice' behind, while I opted for 'Easy Pace' - 10.9k including the 5k that would've been the Kilcoole AC Turkey Trot, potentially a fast course if you can pace the 1st half correctly.
    10.9k in 51mins - 4:44 min/km pace.

So you have to go back to Aug for the last time I stepped foot on the track, it's been too long!
    Met up with a few other guilt ridden clubies at 11 bells to hit the track and after a warm up, some stretches and strides we all came out with our excuses as to why we wouldn't be in good shape for this one - too much beer, to many chocolates, haven't done anything fast in aaaaaaages!!!
    Anyway got stuck in to 8 x 400 with rolling 200 recoveries and my stats went as follows:
    1. 82 - MaxHR 164
    2. 83 - MaxHR 168
    3. 80 - MaxHR 171
    4. 79 - MaxHR 174
    5. 77 - MaxHR 177
    6. 78 - MaxHR 175
    7. 78 - MaxHR 176
    8. 76 - MaxHR 179
    Bit of a shock to the system for the first few, but grew into the session as it progressed, had Fin dragging me around and he was in his comfort zone with 75's and finished with a few 70's.
    Lot of hard work ahead of me to get these to 12 x 75secs, if I've any chance of getting near a 5min mile.

9.7k in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Some spread in those times all right! No doubt you'll hit those 12x75 once the cobwebs have blown away- when are you gunning for a sub5 mile?

Some spread in those times all right! No doubt you'll hit those 12x75 once the cobwebs have blown away- when are you gunning for a sub5 mile?

First stab will probably in May at the F4L and take some learnings from that and aim for some graded meets over the Summer.
    I reckon I'll need 3-4 attempts to get the pacing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

good session beepbeep, nice to put the lungs to work again!
    When you sat "rolling 200m rec's", do you mean that you just kept running, although at a slow pace to recover sufficiently?
    We did a session of 15 x 400m a couple of weeks back, off 30 secs, it was 'fun'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    First stab will probably in May at the F4L and take some learnings from that and aim for some graded meets over the Summer.
    I reckon I'll need 3-4 attempts to get the pacing right.

the 12 x 75secs you mentioned, what kind of recovery will you be taking for them?

@ Speedy the plan will be to have equal time recoveries, jogging the 200 in that. Recoveries slipped a little towards the end yesterday, but will get more disciplined as we go one.
    I've done a sharpeners before alright off a 30sec standing rec.

Taking the kids to the Cinema this mrning so met with a few clubies for an early morning loosener on an undulating lap around the backroads of Ashford.
    9.8k in 44:32 (4:32 pace)

Going to run a few miles now to hit 2k miles for 2010, so taking a few mins to reflect on a mixed bag for 2010.

The Highs:
    Although carrying an injury it was an honor to take the Boards WWR team over the finish line in 1st place.
    Sub 18 for 5k.
    Feeling really strong in the RTE 5 and knocking 1:48 off my M40 PB.
    Despite blowing up on the last lap knocking 23 secs off my 3k time.
    Sneaking over the 2k miles mark.

The Lows:
    Getting a quad injury half way through the Kildare HM when running on target.
    Running the Amsterdam HM injured (I'll be back to murder my HM time on this course).
    Missing a few key County races through work travel.

The Stats:
    2,000 miles (+88 from 2009)
    313 days run (85.8%)
    23 races
    8 PB's

5309601196_d790c6f09d_o.jpg

2011:
    Stay healthy.
    Train sensibly.
    Have fun.
    2.2k miles
    First Half - build endurance, followed by speed, targets 4:59 mile, 9:59 3k, 17:29 5k.
    Second Half - speed endurance, target sub 82 HM.

Hope 2011 brings everyone their wishes!

• Advertisement

A little disappointed with my time in this leaving aside going to bed at 1:30 this morning and having a bottle of vino flowing through the system. Out the door early enough this morning with the family in tow and arrived in Phoenix Pk way too early, but it allowed me some time to take the kids up and down on their Flickers.
    Went for a warm up about 40mins before the off and felt ok, if not a little tired and made my way to the start about 5mins before the off and had a quick chat with Stupid Private on the start line.
    Got off to a reasonable start but my 3:35 first k felt alot harded than it should, think Aero2k passed me after about 600 wearing the largest pair of wooly gloves I've seen in a long time.
    To be honest that 1st k was as good as it got and this was followed by 3ks that got progressively slower although I felt I was working harder. I knew from the warm up that the last k seemed generous at 400 to Chesterfield and almost 700 to the finish line, even still I tried to quicken the pace as I hit the main road and finshed strong at just over 19mins (Dec '08 last time I was on the wrong side of 19 :(), with a 1069 last k. Probably looked a sight talking to Menoscemo (I think) at the end.
    Even though I ran straight into this off the back of 2 heavy months I was expecting to be in the 18:30 ball park and puts into perspective the quality work I need to do over the coming months, missed alot of quality sessions last year through injury so need to address this now.
    Unofficial time 19:03 (only need to find 19 secs per k before the end of the Summer :eek:)
    Good race though - would like to run it again when sharp and race fit, well done Liffey valley.

Advertisement