Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    A little disappointed with my time in this leaving aside going to bed at 1:30 this morning and having a bottle of vino flowing through the system. Out the door early enough this morning with the family in tow and arrived in Phoenix Pk way too early, but it allowed me some time to take the kids up and down on their Flickers.
    Went for a warm up about 40mins before the off and felt ok, if not a little tired and made my way to the start about 5mins before the off and had a quick chat with Stupid Private on the start line.
    Got off to a reasonable start but my 3:35 first k felt alot harded than it should, think Aero2k passed me after about 600 wearing the largest pair of wooly gloves I've seen in a long time.
    To be honest that 1st k was as good as it got and this was followed by 3ks that got progressively slower although I felt I was working harder. I knew from the warm up that the last k seemed generous at 400 to Chesterfield and almost 700 to the finish line, even still I tried to quicken the pace as I hit the main road and finshed strong at just over 19mins (Dec '08 last time I was on the wrong side of 19 :(), with a 1069 last k. Probably looked a sight talking to Menoscemo (I think) at the end.
    Even though I ran straight into this off the back of 2 heavy months I was expecting to be in the 18:30 ball park and puts into perspective the quality work I need to do over the coming months, missed alot of quality sessions last year through injury so need to address this now.
    Unofficial time 19:03 (only need to find 19 secs per k before the end of the Summer :eek:)
    Good race though - would like to run it again when sharp and race fit, well done Liffey valley.

good job beepbeep, your a better man than me getting out there after last nights festivites ;)

I thought about doing a 5K today as well, but probably would have been around the 19mins mark as well. Glad now reading your report that I decided to save myself for Monday's 10k, whether or not I'll be glad when its over is another matter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Probably looked a sight talking to Menoscemo (I think) at the end.

Don't think so I'm afraid. I was talking to Aero2k, Chinguetti and (brielfy) Misty Floyd before heading off down Chesterfield Av again. Don't think I was talking to you (though i may be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

:o@menoscemo - might have been RAL3 so, we'll have to start a faces to the user names thread.

Today legs and body felt fine today, so I jumped out of the car at Ballinaskea beach on the way home from Arklow, for what worked out at 19.2k @ 4:41k pace, no drama, chilly enough never really warmed up and when I stopped realised my left nipple must have been bleeding for quite a while and I was wearing the badge of honor.

WTD: 46.7 (7 days)
    MTD: 19.1 (2 days)
    Races YTD: 1

Reasonable week's training, plan for January with 5 races is to reduce the mileage from 50 to 40ish, with a mid-week session and then the race.
    Had to travel this week to Bratislava and was pleased that I stayed disciplined and trained everyday.

Day|Session|Comments|Mileage|Time
    Mon|Aerobic|Recovery run|8.09|1:04:29
    Tue|Intervals|4 x 1k @ 10k pace|6.09|0:47:44
    Wed|Easy Run|10k (treadmill)|6.22|0:48:53
    Thu|Easy Run| w/6 x 30secs @ 16kmph|6.22|0:49:07
    Fri|Recovery|Early AM recovery run|3.73|0:30:42
    Sat|Pre Race Easy||2.49|21.06
    Sun|Race|5k Streets of Wicklow|8.7|1:02:00

Race Report - Streets of Wicklow 5k
    Was feeling a little fresher this morning even though I had 4 days of business travel. Chilly morning and I got a solid 3k warm up in with some stretching and strides.
    Was caught gabbing on the start line and my watch timed out (must remember to change the settings), so missed 6 secs from the gun.
    First k was handy @ 3:34 pace, same as last week, but the effort felt easier. The Streets of Wicklow is decided by what happens mid-way through the 2nd k, with a steep steady climb up Summer Hill, so I just targetted a few bodies and claimed about 3 places on this section (3:59). 3rd starts with a sharp downhill before levelling out along the quays, so I just stretched out along the downhill before concentrating on getting the legs turning along the quays, which proved a little difficult as it had a heavy frost on it (3:38). Between here and the end I was about 60yds behind the group in front of me and no challengers from behind, so it was just about keeping focus and continuing to work hard, finished with a 3:46 and a 3:32 as I found some juice in the last k to wind it up and finish in 18:29.
    35 sec improvement from last week, but more importantly felt a lot more in control and could have gone a little faster, plus recovered very quickly and finished with a 5.5k warm down.

WTD: 41.5 (7 days)
    MTD: 60.6 (9 days)

Races YTD: 2

New Adidas XCS arrived in the post (1st new pair of XC spikes in 15yrs), now fully loaded with 12mm's for the Masters on Sunday - bring it on!
    5351810129_54175b781c_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Before and after shots please...!!

Another solid week's training that went according to plan, put the work in at the beginning of the week, but left enough time ease off and feel fresh by Sunday.
    Mon:
    Getting in a steady 10 miler on a Monday is part of the plan for the next few weeks, with races and needing to keep the endurance work up. This one was a nice 2 laps of Wicklow utilizing the new relief roads and taking in the Marlton road twice, which is about a 1 mile climb - would be a good training loop for anyone running the HM here at the end of March. Went according to plan and I averaged 4:39 pace for the 16.6k, although the last climb up Marlton had me working a bit.
    Tue:
    With a race each weekend replacing a tempo from the schedule the mid-week effort is interval focussed. Tonight was 5x1k @ 3:40 with 200 (75sec) jog recovery. I had Ryan Montgomery keeping me honest so there was nowhere to hide. First one was a little hot @ 3:32, but after that they went according to plan (3:38, 3:40, 3:38, 3:37), had to work a little for the last 2, but was very happy overall with the HR peakin g @ 173 on the last one.
    Wed - Sat:
    Remainder of the week was a gradual wind of 10k, 8.2k with 6 x 100m strides, 6k and 4k.
    Sun: Race Report Wicklow Masters XC -
    Didn't feel great yesterday, felt like I was coming down with something, so thanks to the OH I was smothered with TLC and the majority of the day on the sofa drifting in and out of sleep - but thankfully woke feeling pretty ok.
    Fantastic morning for a run in Shanganagh, the conditions underfoot were good to soft (so the after pics aren't worth putting up) and the sun came out just before the Ladies race. Got a solid warm up in again of about 3.5k including strides and dynamic stretches, before a good sized field took to the line at just before 11:30. I got a solid start and was mindful of not going out too hard, although the 1st k beeped at 3:35, settled into a nice section of the race working hard with a few others and the k's flew by even enough for XC between 3:42 and 3:53 and nothing really to report trading places at around 12th place (don't have individual results). This should have been a 6k but came in at 6.7k, with the last .7k proving to be the most interesting part of the race for me. As I entered the last field there was a Roundwood vest about 20mts ahead of me, so I went on good ol' wind up and quickly reeled him in and kept pushing on not to leave any window of opportunity open and accelerated to the finish.
    Finished the 6.71k in 25:05 (3:44pace), about 11th or so and 3rd man on the winning Bray Runner's team :cool:. Overall pleased with the race, bang on pace target, solid splits throughout and very happy with the juice in the tank to finish strong.

WTD: 43.9 (7 days)
    MTD: 104.6 (16 days)
    Races YTD: 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Nice team win there, well done :)

Everything is ticking along nicely at the moment, getting the work done, no missed sessions, feeling fatigued in the 1st have of the week, but then a couple of easy days gets me back in form for racing.
    Mon:
    10 miles to keep the endurance work up. Felt a little tired after the XC, so eased off from the planned 4:40 pace, couple of faster k's on the downhills and had to work a little harder than planned both time on the Marlon Rd. 16.3k @ 4:44 pace.
    Tues:
    Good few bodies on the track tonight for 6 x 1k (lap missing on the 1st rep), this felt tougher than last week, with the race and the 10miler in my legs. I was working hard and was happy to average 3:39 in the end, with the HR peaking @ 175 off 70sec recoveries.
    Weds:
    Was feeling a bit ragged by the time Weds came along, so was happy enough when my faster running buddy was delayed, so I had 7k at my easy pace (4:55) followed by 3k at his easy pace (4:35) for 10.25k @ 4:48 pace on average.
    Thurs - Sat:
    Same as last week easy running - 8, 6, 4k with some strides thrown in to get fresh for the race.

Sun: Race Report Wicklow Senior XC
    Nice field gathered for this in ideal conditions once again, guessing about 40 or so lined out. With the extra distance I was mindful of not starting too fast and held back, lots of bumping and pushing through the gaps and on the corners and the 1st 2k went by in 3:38 & 3:47. Settled into a nice stage of the race which lasted for about 4k, I was running within myself, but had people around me that are faster than me in the places of about 12th to 20th. It was pretty uneventful with the exception of getting spiked at one of the corners and those k's went by in 3:53/ 3:46/ 3:54 / 3:44. That 6th k was where the race took off and 4 from the group made a break for it, I tried to respond but they were moving too fast for me and I was leading out another group heading into the last lap. I pulled in a Parnell place soon after and was then gradually dropping my group and with about 1 mile to go was 40mts ahead of them and 40mts behind a Kilcoole vest which eventually became a target. So with about 800 to go I felt like I had a sniff at another place and was gradually winding him in at the same point as last week I really started pushing, but he was responding also, so I kicked again and passed him with about 100 to go, but I had shot my load and he found something else to take me again with about 10 to go - that's what racing is all about.
    I was 5th man on the sucessful Bray team and we claimed Gold again to do the Masters and Senior double :cool:.
    10.38k in 39:34 (4:48 pace) and a final 380 in 70 secs :eek: (3:06pace).

WTD: 45.8 (7 days)
    MTD: 150.4 (23 days)
    Races YTD: 4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Super set of results recently Dom. Congrats. It's a pity I didn't make it over to see either of these races and give you a cheer.. Next year maybe!

• Advertisement

Super set of results recently Dom. Congrats. It's a pity I didn't make it over to see either of these races and give you a cheer.. Next year maybe!

We'll sneak you in as a guest next year - shame to miss racing 1k from your door step!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Next stop Nationals then worlds :)

So with about 800 to go I felt like I had a sniff at another place and was gradually winding him in at the same point as last week I really started pushing, but he was responding also, so I kicked again and passed him with about 100 to go, but I had shot my load and he found something else to take me again with about 10 to go - that's what racing is all about.

A picture tells a 1000 words - I wasn't giving it back easily.

165343_121818207891240_100001891843109_166986_3483800_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Epic photo of Darragh & yourself, not that I'd ever overtake either of you but:D I can see why now!

Apart from tight calves and achilles from the XC's, this was another week that went according to schedule and included 2 races.

Mon:
    Mondays have become 10 miles + for the last number of weeks with races on the Sunday, but today my calves and achilles were shot and I had Dungarvan at the end of the week to consider. So I hit Shanganagh after work and ran at a very comfortable pace just to get the blood flowing, ended up with 7.5 miles @ 8:40 pace.
    Tue:
    This was pretty much the same but shorter, no real improvement in the lower legs and I was seriously considering not running the 2M F4L the next night. Got home and spent about 30mins on the Grid followed off with a liberal smearing of Tiger Balm. 5.2 miles @ 8:30 pace.
    Wed:
    Race Report Wicklow Fit4Life - 2Mile
    I had already written this one off and wore sensible shoes and didn't push myself too hard. It's a nice out and back course, which had the wind against you on the way down. I ran pretty even spilts of 5:46 and 5:48 and even though I was tempted to get into a last 400mts blast out I showed restraint and stuck to the plan. 11k in total.
    Thu - Sat:
    Same as previous weeks, with a gradual taper down from 8k to 4k with some strides on Friday.
    Sun:
    Race Report Dungarvan 10.
    I've commented on the race thread how impressed I was with the overall package for this race and it'll be one of the 1st I pencil in each year.
    I had written off my target time of 62:15 (which is still taped to the treadie) with the race congestion in Jan and no real 10+ specific training and had planned to run about 64. To tell you where my head was with it I left the house without my watch :mad::o and done a couple of detours to try and pick one up (Tesco and Halfords in Waterford - hang your heads in shame) there was one in Next but was as heavy as the half a kilo I've lost in weight this month, so that was a no.
    So here's Mr Stato spreadsheet geek lining up for a race with no watch, sure focus on what you can control. Had about a 3k warm up down for a look at the start and back to the sportshall, calves felt ok, so lashed on the ST4's (they're giving out again now) and ran back to the start.
    Race started off well and I clocked 2 x 6min miles (knowing this thanks to the mile splits being called out all around the course) as the course looped around the town and I was thinking I was happy enough to bank some time while I felt good. The next 3 miles I was just in a rhythm and knocked out pretty consistent splits around the 6:17 mark to reach halfway in 30:50 - still in the frame of mind that a 33 would get me home under 64. A 6:21 followed as I just ran with a group of 5, before a downhill section just after 6, in hindsight I probably could have made more of this section, but was a bit cautious as I was ahead of schedule and used it to stride out and take a breather it came in at 6:15 all the same. The next couple of miles I was feeling a little under pressure and I felt some bodies closing around me they clocked 6:23 and 6:26 (my slowest) which had about 400mts of a climb, but I was happy to hear 56:14 at the 9 mile marker, which came at the beginning of a downhill section.
    The first thought that flashed through my mind was a 6min mile would get me under my original target and the 2nd was an Eagle AC vest ahead that had the look of tisnot about it. So I got my skates on and made a long run for home passing about 6 bodies including the Eagle AC runner another runner in blue came with me and we took another couple but he had the legs on me and I was super delighted to knock out a 5:53 for the last mile to hit 62:08. Now I'm thinking where can I find 9 secs - but that's for next year ;).
    Turned out it was tisnot and we had a bit of a chat and then I met Aero2k who had run solid 61 something.

WTD: 44.2 (7 days)
    MTD: 194.6 (30 days)
    Races YTD: 6 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great running, great form of late, can't believe you forgot your watch!.
    Really missed this race this year, 2012 perhaps.
    A fast half is now within your reach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good run today and good report....i was down watching, didnt realise there were more boardsies there, would ahve said hi like.

Well done again Beepbeep. Seem to be congratulating you every other day these days. :) If you can keep up this form, it's going to be a fab year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn wrote: »
    Great running, great form of late, can't believe you forgot your watch!.
    Really missed this race this year, 2012 perhaps.
    A fast half is now within your reach

Id forget my runners before my Garmin !

Well done today beepbeep...great when you surpass what you set out to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great run BeepBeep - wish I could have matched your last mile!

Nice to chat to you afterwards too. Pity you couldn't stay for the grub - myself and Git101 managed to eat our entry fees' worth, in the company of a 2:09 marathoner:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done beepbeep. great running especially without the watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Well done again, great to meet up, if only I knew what singlet you'd have been wearing, next time sure ;) Recover well.

Thanks for the comments everyone, January was a great month for me, could have gone either way with 6 races, but I'm happy to come out the other end unscathed. My km pace yesterday for the 10miler was 3:52, which was only 3 secs per k slower than my 5k on New Years day, so goes to show what consistency and racing can bring in a short space of time. I've been really pleased with my finishing pace in the last 3 races where I knocked out some surprising last 400's or miles.
    Was expecting the legs to be in bits this evening, but with the exception of a tight achilles (LHS) all is good, but I stuck to my planned very easy pace and got 10k around Shanganagh @ 5:17pace, just enough to tip me over 200 miles for my 3rd consecutive 200+ month. The plan for the next 10 days is to run easy, but consistently and ensure the body gets some time to recover before hitting a 16-20 week schedule for the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Great run on Sunday BB.

I met you before and at your car after the race while your shoes were cooling down.

So much for you fading after 10k!

Got a chance to pop my 10 miles into McMillian, makes interesting reading.
    Converts to:
    1 Mile: 5:09 - ran 5:10 last Summer
    3k: 10:14 - ran 10:14 last Summer
    5k: 17:51 - ran 17:53 last Summer
    5M: 29:35 - ran 29:37 last Summer
    So it tells me that I'm back in the same ball park as last year, but earlier in the season and with a little more endurance.

Anyone else use McMillian/Other to sanity check your performances?

After a heavy racing schedule in January this week was all about putting some miles back in the bank, no schedule, no plan, just ran when I felt like it and how I felt, even managed a little double on Friday.

Mon:
    Easy recovery run in Shanganagh, my Achilles on my LHS was tight, but apart from that no ill effects from the race. 10k @ 5:17pace
    Tue:
    Short run from the house, planned to go a little longer, but felt a little light headed and with a house full of sick kids took the precaution and jogged home. 5.55k @ 5:10pace
    Wed:
    Nice run in Shanganagh in fading light, great to see a bit of a stretch in the evenings, made it to 6k before having to switch on the headlight. Body felt great and was holding myself back to run slowly. 12.1k @ 5:03pace
    Thu:
    Was meant to make it down to the club the night, but had to make an emergency sprint to catch the pharmacy before it closed and leg it home to the triage unit. Managed to squeeze in 6.44 on the treadie when all had settled down @ 4:48pace.
    Fri:
    AM: Out of the scratcher early so decided to hop on the treadie for an early morning 6k @ 5:00pace.
    PM: Later that evening decided to jump on the treadie for another short one and ran 6.44k @ 5:00pace.
    Sat:
    Took some motivation to get out the door in the heavy rain, but was glad once I got going. I've a route from the house that hits the back roads of Ashford and it pretty undulating for the 1st 14k. Felt nice and relaxed for the whole run apart runner's nipples even with the bodyglide and clocked up 20.14k @ 4:49pace.
    Sun:
    Early Valentine's pressie for me and the OH meant a nice night in a hotel last night, took much drink, took much food and not enough sleep meant I played it safe and ran on the treadie with with water and energy drink easy to hand. Managed to knock out 13.8k all the same @ 4:45pace, while watching the old firm cup game. Just enough to hit 50miles for the week.

WTD: 50.0 (7 days)
    MTD: 43.8 (6 days)

YTD: 244.6 (37 days)
    Races YTD: 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'm envious of your 50 mile week - I'm still hobbling a bit but well on the mend.

There's a great pic of you on the WW AC website looking a bit more relaxed that the pic above - Dungarvan photos part 2 - think it's on page 5.

Ticked all the right boxes again this week, had a little operation on Monday but all went well and added some faster running back in on Thursday after 10 days of easy running since Dungarvan.
    Mon:
    Off to the hospital early this morning for a minor operation, wasn't sure how I would feel later so hit the treadie a 5am for an easy 5k.
    Tue:
    Headed to Shanganagh after work and continued with the easy running this evening although I was itching to go faster, I did finish a little faster than I started. 10.4k @ 4:52 pace
    Wed:
    Same as last night really although stayed on the grass for longer but after about 5k of a slippin' and a slidin' went back on the trail - great to see a real stretch in the daylight. 12k @ 5:00 pace
    Thu:
    Joined the club in Bray where they were doing a 25min tempo session, kept it handy enough in and around 4 min per k pace with a decent warm up and warm down. 12.2k @ 4:42 pace
    Fri:
    Nice recovery run in Shanganagh on the way home from work, nice way to finish off the week. 10.3k @ 5:10 pace
    Sat:
    Busy enough day with Rugby in the morning, housey stuff and some other bits. Eventually managed to get out late afternoon and stuck Today FM on and listened to the footie. 10k @ 4:53 pace
    Sun:
    Met up with Abhainn and another from the club for a good honest hilly run around Rathnew and Ashford, I think the main road on the way back from Ashford was the only flat section - 235m of elevation gain. Nice morning for a run and great to have the company - mighty. 21.75k @ 4:32 pace, AvHr - 152.

WTD: 50.8 (7 days)
    MTD: 94.6 (13 days)
    YTD: 295.4 (44 days)
    Races YTD: 6

Ran the Fit4Life 5k this evening in Rathdrum, testing course is an understatement, with 3.5 times up a 600m hill which had me working harder than planned. So happy with 18:33, 3rd M40 and 9th overall.

• Advertisement

Ran the Fit4Life 5k this evening in Rathdrum, testing course is an understatement, with 3.5 times up a 600m hill which had me working harder than planned. So happy with 18:33, 3rd M40 and 9th overall.
    600ft hill, surely? :eek: Well done again. You must have a house full of choccies, decorated plates and tins of USA assorted biscuits.

Advertisement