Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

shels4ever wrote: »
    Nice start to the track season there, your 3k pb might need to go now too :)

It's on the list: 9:59 is the new 10:14 - I do believe there was talk of a forfeit before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It's on the list: 9:59 is the new 10:14 - I do believe there was talk of a forfeit before ;)
    Yes there was :).
    I'd need to get approval to run a 3k this summer but can't see me getting near that 10:29 needed, so i may lose this one ..

Not a whole pile to report since the mile on Weds night: met up with the club on Thurs eveningand had a nice relaxed run and a chat in fantastic sunshine at Shanganagh [13.5k @ 4:53 pace], Friday headed out from the house after work and down to the Murrough and back for a gentle run [12.2k @ 4:48 pace], Saturday easy lunch time run with 10 x 1min strides with 30sec recovery, done these on the avenue at Tinakilly House, so 5 up and 5 down, lovely well maintained grass surface, don't know why I haven't utilised that before [9.35k @ 4:41pace] and finally stuck for time today so squeezed in a steady 12.34k @ 4:34pace.

WTD: 69.3 [43.1]
    MTD: 129.3 [208.0]
    YTD: 1105.0 [686.7]
    Races YTD: 10 [3 M40 PB's]

So during this training cycle my long run stays between 10-12 miles, which makes things nice and easy, just need to plan some varied routes from the house.
    This morning out at 9 bells for 10.6miles @ 7:48pace @ 143bpm, pretty uneventful except when I nearly lost an eye on a branch when I was miles away and not concentrating.

Feels wrong to put in such a tame training update after reading Krusty's epic race report, but anyhoo nice evening run from the house down to Broadlough and back 10k @ 4:53pace.

• Advertisement

Few days off so nice to hit the track just after noon for a non rushed session.
    Warm up followed by static and dynamic stretching.
    Lashed on the Adizero Cadence spikes for 8 x 400 with 1min recovery - went pretty much according to plan with the 1st one being a little slow and rest averaging my target pace of 77secs.
    1. 80 [163]
    2. 77 [168]
    3. 76 [171]
    4. 77 [171]
    5. 78 [171]
    6. 77 [174]
    7. 77 [175]
    8. 77 [174]
    Nice and hot out there had a few sips of SIS energy drink every 2nd rep and had a banana goodness shakes protein recovery drink after my 2k warm down. 9k in total.

Groin was playing up today (must be going to rain tomorrow), last year I would have ignored it and done the 1hr aerobic session in the plan - this year I hopped on the bike for 2hr20 instead, nice spin via Glenealy-Rathdrum-Avoca-Arklow-N11. It was neither hilly or fast, but I did face a stiff head wind for about 20k along the N11 - job done and no reaction from the groin.

Nice 10k trot down to the coast and back this morning before breakfast in fantastic sunshine - who needs Portugal - if only we were guaranteed this weather for a few months each year.

Just a couple of easy runs in advance of the Road Race Championships today, Saturday 6.85k with 6 x 100mt strides and Sunday 4.63 easy.

Race Report: Leinster Masters Road Race
    It’s been 14yrs since I togged out for Wicklow in Gowran for the Leinster 6k Road Race Championships, Gowran itself doesn’t look large enough to have an athletics club, let alone stage one of the Leinster Majors each year, however I can’t fault the organisation and hospitality which was a million miles away from the mass brawl that was the Great Ireland Run, give me this type of event anyday. Blustery conditions on a trying 4 lap (just slightly over) 6k course meant today was about racing and times were put to one side. The schedule for today was a combined Ladies Novice and Masters 3k follow by the Novice Mens 6k and finally the Masters 6k and the 1.5k laps meant you could get to see the previous races while warming up. There was a good turn out from Wicklow with 20 or so making the trip and both the County and Sli Cualann entering strong teams in the O/40 and O/50 categories.
    The trick in Gowran is not to get carried away with the downhill start and keep some powder dry for the 2nd half of the race, I personally was looking to run a steady race with my main focus some shorter track races over the next few weeks, but even with what I felt was a conservative start I still clocked 3:33 and 3:36 for first 2 kms although slightly downhill overall. Got into some steady running post that finding my spot in the race and just digging in for pretty consistent splits of 3:43, 3:46, 3:47 and 3:44 (plus 13 secs for the last 80mts), had a strong last lap taking 4 places and giving back 1, had secretly hoped to hit 22mins, but the windy conditions put pay to that and most who ran over the last few years said their times were down, so I’m happy with my 22:23. Well done to the various Sli Cualann and Wicklow athletes who competed today - Highlights from memory: Mick Byrne 2nd Master, Sean Dunne 3rd O/45, Mick Finnan 4th O/40, Martin Francis 4th O/50 [22:00]. O/40 Club - Sli Cualann 2nd, County - Wicklow 2nd; O/50 Club - Sli Cualann 1st, County - Wicklow 1st.

Nice gentle 8.4k @ 4:53 pace around Kilruddery this evening to get the body back used to the trails in advance of the WWR. No reaction from the race yesterday so job done.

• Advertisement

Back in Kilruddery this evening for 11.75k at 4:50 pace, included a jaunt up the Little Sugarloaf for some spectacular views of the coast, added a loop around by the house for the money shot on the way back - below photo is not mine, but gives you an idea.
    Got a second back on Road Race Results 22:22 :), but for some reason I'm now an M45 :(.
    3690277081_979879cf99.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Back in Kilruddery this evening for 11.75k at 4:50 pace, included a jaunt up the Little Sugarloaf for some spectacular views of the coast, added a loop around by the house for the money shot on the way back - below photo is not mine, but gives you an idea.
    Got a second back on Road Race Results 22:22 :), but for some reason I'm now an M45 :(.
    3690277081_979879cf99.jpg

I've never been to Kilruddery house, looks beautiful, I'll be there at the end of the summer to see Colin Wilkinson.

Woddle wrote: »
    I've never been to Kilruddery house, looks beautiful, I'll be there at the end of the summer to see Colin Wilkinson.

It's great up there, coffee shop open for the Summer and the kids love it, there's a maze and they give the kids a little orienteering map.
    Here's some shots from last Summer.

Opp view to the one above.
    39872_1462149968066_1662987617_1054356_4947076_n.jpg

Fountain
    41084_1462149168046_1662987617_1054344_3327168_n.jpg

Orienteering
    39872_1462149848063_1662987617_1054353_7626021_n.jpg

Little Sugarloaf - where I ran last night
    40291_1462148168021_1662987617_1054337_4300027_n.jpg

Went for a gentle warm up, before finding a quite bit of road and doing 10 x 1min strides with 1min rec, half into the wind followed by a bit of a warm down. Groin tweaked again on the RHS on the 7th one - need to watch that.
    9.4k in 47:30

Handy enough run in Shanganagh with a clubie, nice way to finish a Friday.
    9.7k @ 4:44 pace

Just stepped out for an easy 4k yesterday morning in advance of the track Champs today.

Wicklow Track & Field : 1500mts
    Had no idea what to expect in this one with really strong winds which impacted from about half round the top bend until the end of the back straight. But went through the normal warm up routine before lining up in a field of about 10. The original plan was to go for 4:38 which simply equates to 3 x 74 and a 56 and is the Metric equivalent of a sub 5 mile.
    Lap 1 a group of 3 broke away which left me exposed as the wind breaker of another small group, but I couldn't do much about that and after just about hearing 76 for the 1st I knew I was in for a tough one, eased off slightly, but no one took the bait and we rolled through 2 laps in 2:35, with about 500 to go 1 runner went past me and I tried to respond but he was clipping along nicely and I think I heard 3:54 at 3 laps, that last back straight had me leaning into the wind as it really picked up, but I was holding my own and was in touching distance of 2 runners coming off the bend and while I was closing in the final straight I ran out of track.
    Disappointed with the time of 4:52 although it is a 5sec M40 PB, I have no idea how much the wind was a factor in dragging down the times, but everyone was off.
    Finished 5th overall and 2nd M40.
    Couple of more races in the next 10 days and then back to serious training.

WTD: 62.6 [38.9]
    MTD: 67.3 [41.8]
    YTD: 1225.2 [761.5]
    Races YTD: 12 [5 x M40 PB's]

Just a handy trot around Shanganagh this evening playing Russian roulette with the cloud bursts - this time I survived.
    10.4k @ 4:47 pace with 4 x 100mt strides.

Easy 5k yesterday, very relaxed.

Wicklow F4L Round 5 - 5k

This race was originally planned to be a 3k which suited my schedule down to a tee, but with the jump up this became a hard workout rather than a full out race. Good crowd out for this and judging by the warm ups there was potentially a good race developing at the sharp end.
    There was a good splattering of boardies around including Pronator, Abhainn, Timmaay and AJCOT.
    The course was an out and back along the cycle lanes on the port relief road, there was a cheeky breeze that was going to impact on the way out and then an opportunity to utilize that on the way back. I was hoping to be in the 18:20 range which equates to 3:40 per k.
    Got off to a relaxed start into the breeze and slightly uphill and the 1st k clicked at 3:35, however as we crossed the river the wind was at it's strongest and Rene passed me so I was happy to sit in behind him and take what little shelter was available, 2nd k beeped @ 3:43. The next 2 k's were the toughest of the race, firstly the start of the 3rd was slightly uphill against the breeze and then the 4th had the majority of the 600mt climb from the main road back up, albeit wind the wind in your favour, these were consistent at 3:45 and if racing I may have pushed them a bit more and Rene and a Kilcoole runner opened up a gap on me. The last k was mainly downhill with a favourable wind so I took full effect from that and finished with a 3:15 for 18:05.
    Good workout all the same, reckon I was 12thish and 3rd M40, 18:05 ranks 3rd in my M40 list, groin had a knot in it again at the end but was fine after a cool down.
    I'd encourage anyone to come along and support this series - you won't be disappointed.

Met up with Krusty this evening to recce leg 1 of the WWR and after a diversion where Krusty took us the wrong way for a 1k warm up it was back to the trail proper. Leg 1 is defined pretty much in 5 parts 1) Uphill, 2) Technical Downhill, 3) Road, 4) Uphill, 5) Downhill - Technical followed by fast. Not a bad leg overall, the uphills are pretty runable and the fast part of the last downhill could be a blast, I'd be a little concerned in a race situation that I'd break or twist something on the technical sections - but it could be good fun. Thanks Krusty for taking the time.
    1.09k + 13.91k in 1hr20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Met up with Krusty this evening to recce leg 1 of the WWR and after a diversion where Krusty took us the wrong way for a 1k warm up it was back to the trail proper. Leg 1 is defined pretty much in 5 parts 1) Uphill, 2) Technical Downhill, 3) Road, 4) Uphill, 5) Downhill - Technical followed by fast. Not a bad leg overall, the uphills are pretty runable and the fast part of the last downhill could be a blast, I'd be a little concerned in a race situation that I'd break or twist something on the technical sections - but it could be good fun. Thanks Krusty for taking the time.
    1.09k + 13.91k in 1hr20.

Couple of good days for you Dom. Where did you go wrong- took the wrong trail at the very start? It's a nice leg all right, running down that gully of a trail is hair-raising (or shine-inducing in our case). If you hit the road with feeling knackered you're in good shape for the rest.

• Advertisement

Couple of good days for you Dom. Where did you go wrong- took the wrong trail at the very start? It's a nice leg all right, running down that gully of a trail is hair-raising (or shine-inducing in our case). If you hit the road with feeling knackered you're in good shape for the rest.

Yep, right at the start, but sussed it pretty quickly thankfully.

Friday - an easy 6k recovery run , achilles a little tight from the race and a jaunt over the mountains.

Saturday - hit the track early with a clubie an R session, which would be 2 sets of (2x200 + 1x400) x 2 with equal distance recoveries and 4 mins between sets.
    The 8 x 200's averaged 35, with a pretty tight spread between 34-36 and the 400's were 75,74,72,72 with the HR hitting 179 on the last 400.
    This is a very well structured session and the recoveries allow you to stay on plan - very happy with this session considering the swirling wind.

Total 12.7k in 1hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Friday - an easy 6k recovery run , achilles a little tight from the race and a jaunt over the mountains.

Saturday - hit the track early with a clubie an R session, which would be 2 sets of (2x200 + 1x400) x 2 with equal distance recoveries and 4 mins between sets.
    The 8 x 200's averaged 35, with a pretty tight spread between 34-36 and the 400's were 75,74,72,72 with the HR hitting 179 on the last 400.
    This is a very well structured session and the recoveries allow you to stay on plan - very happy with this session considering the swirling wind.

Total 12.7k in 1hr

Good session you seem to be going very well at the moment. Have you are target race in mind or you just looking for a good season overall. Its still early days in the track season and no reason why you wont be able to take good chunks off your times as the season go on

ecoli wrote: »
    Good session you seem to be going very well at the moment. Have you are target race in mind or you just looking for a good season overall. Its still early days in the track season and no reason why you wont be able to take good chunks off your times as the season go on

Generally just a good season and hoping to nip under 5 for the mile, 10 for 3k and 17:30 for 5k, 1st 2 are achieveable the 5k is a stretch.

Out of the scratcher at 6:15 after a late one where I picked up the most improved award at the Bray Runners awards night :), had my name on the same trophy also in 1995 :o.
    Met Pronator in Glenealy and we continued down to Shilleagh to ditch a car and then head back to the start of leg 8 (the things we do for Marshall Joyce) and we were ready to start bang on plan at 8am. Met another 2 runners driving down the lane making plans for a recce also. Took some time to look at the start area before heading off and after a little detour at 1k (same as last year) we were on track navigating rocks, cow slop and the very said cows which we had to yield to as we all bunched up at one of the gates, after this there is some good running and we completed the last 8.4k @ 4:30 pace, which felt pretty comfortable.

WTD: 71.2 [44.2]
    MTD: 138.4 [86.0]
    YTD: 1296.4 [805.7]
    Races YTD: 13 [5 x M40 PB's]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Out of the scratcher at 6:15 after a late one where I picked up the most improved award at the Bray Runners awards night :), had my name on the same trophy also in 1995 :o.
    Met Pronator in Glenealy and we continued down to Shilleagh to ditch a car and then head back to the start of leg 8 (the things we do for Marshall Joyce) and we were ready to start bang on plan at 8am. Met another 2 runners driving down the lane making plans for a recce also. Took some time to look at the start area before heading off and after a little detour at 1k (same as last year) we were on track navigating rocks, cow slop and the very said cows which we had to yield to as we all bunched up at one of the gates, after this there is some good running and we completed the last 8.4k @ 4:30 pace, which felt pretty comfortable.

WTD: 71.2 [44.2]
    MTD: 138.4 [86.0]
    YTD: 1296.4 [805.7]
    Races YTD: 13 [5 x M40 PB's]

Nice one Dom, yeah I know that turn where a mistake can be made, that's what recce's are for, to get those darn mistakes out of the way! I had cows for company last week too: there will be bovine mischief come the relay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Generally just a good season and hoping to nip under 5 for the mile, 10 for 3k and 17:30 for 5k, 1st 2 are achieveable the 5k is a stretch.

I reckon if you are hitting the first two times no reason why you cant hit the 5k provided the aerobic base is up to scratch.

Congrats on the award

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

And there was me complaining about having to get up at 8am :o!

Congrats on your award - well deserved after some great performances! Inspirational stuff for those of us bringing up the rear!

runrabbit wrote: »
    And there was me complaining about having to get up at 8am :o!

Congrats on your award - well deserved after some great performances! Inspirational stuff for those of us bringing up the rear!

And congrats on yours - good run today - well done!

• Advertisement

Easy run in Shanganagh this evening including 6 x 24sec strides. Lower calves still tight but improving, hope the wind dies down by Weds evening.
    Total 9.3k @ 4:50 pace.

Advertisement