Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Speedy44 wrote: »
    nice going beepbeep.

Its funny how you can feel not great one day and then the next day be coasting :), been feeling that myself a bit of late.

Funny alright, I couldn't run 8min pace last night to save my life and I was putting the breaks on for 7:15 pace tonight!

Thursday: 8 miles easy in Shanganagh
    Friday: 4 x 1M @ 5k pace (target - 5:40) with 90 sec recovery.
    Wow wee this was a tough session, can't recall a tougher one that I've done since I returned to running as you can tell by the increasing HR. If you want to know how short 90 secs can feel - do this session!
    1. 5:39 MaxHr 168
    2. 5:38 MaxHr 172
    3. 5:40 MaxHr 175
    4. 5:40 MaxHr 176
    Total 8.2 miles in 59:58 http://connect.garmin.com/splits/102584895

Saturday: Squeezed in a 10 miler before a busy day - 10.6 @ 7.29 pace
    Sunday: Just a recovery run, another busy day ahead - 5.4 @ 7:58 pace

Solid month for July, 28 days running for a total of 231 miles (record), average distance per day of 8.26 (record), went into double figures 7 times and completed 11 sessions.

WTD: 80.9 [50.3]
    MTD: 372.3 [231.4]
    YTD: 2,089.8 [1,298.8]
    Races YTD: 20 [6 x M40 PB's]

Wasn't feeling great heading into this one, really tired today after the weekend and it was quite humid during the warm up and I was sweating buckets, so took a few sips of water.
    2 mile warm up follwed by strides and drills, whacked on the Pro 4's and we were ready for the off. Met a few boardies on the line and based on how I was feeling I felt sub 11:15 was a good target, my M40 PB is 11:13 and my course best is 11:21.
    Lined up on the 2nd row and just got tucked in behind a group for the 1st half mile, checked the Garmin and it showed 5:20 pace, yikes, this could go one of two ways, forget it and just keep working. My Garmin beeped at a 5:25 mille one and split was called as 5:27. Decided that I would run as hard as I could for the next half mile and take it from there, average lap pace of 5:27 with about 600 to go, but I'm starting to feel under pressure, time to dig in as I reach the corner with about 300mts slightly uphill to go, quick check of the watch average pace 5:28, push again the Garmin beeps about 30mts before the finish line and I hit the button at 10:59.96, will probably get rounded to 11, but I'm happy with that.
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/103697192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Go on the beepbeep :D
    Where do you feel that came from as it's obviously early days for the new schedule. Congrats on a super PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sub 11 for 2-mile - not bad for an aul fella.

Is Ballinamore 10K still in the plan? I have pulled out - too much competition ;)

Woddle wrote: »
    Go on the beepbeep :D
    Where do you feel that came from as it's obviously early days for the new schedule. Congrats on a super PB.

It's all about the shoes :p, seriously didn't taper for this apart from not running yesterday but was on my feet for 12hrs, felt I lacked a bit of kick was one paced, but felt very strong.
    dna_leri wrote: »
    Sub 11 for 2-mile - not bad for an aul fella.

Is Ballinamore 10K still in the plan? I have pulled out - too much competition ;)

Yep, that's the plan, had a couple of poor 10k's last year, one my fault went off too fast and one I shouldn't have run as I literally stepped off a plane, so need get that monkey off my back, but it's a stepping stone race, the training is for the half in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running in warm conditions. Getting better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great running last night BeepBeep, and nice to meet you. I was wondering why you had started so fast having just spoken of a 11:15 target, but you stayed away for the whole race. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Your flying Dom. Keep it going;)

• Advertisement

Nice relaxing 1hr run from the house, at least the 1st 4 miles were until my bowel decided it wanted to empty, the next 3.5 miles were fun and games as I combined a core session with my run. The feeling of joy in seeing an under stairs toilet topped any post race endorphins I've experienced.

Tough 4 mile tempo run in the middle of 7.2 miles.
    This felt tougher than it should, than plan was to start off a little slower than tempo pace and work up to faster than tempo based on an article I was reading by McMillian, this is basically what happen except I was about 5 secs off per split and working a little too hard to get there; 6:29 - 6:27 - 6:27 - 6:20, average 6:26, was aiming for 6:20.
    Good workout though with the HR reaching 171.

Friday: Got 4 miles in before work, was hoping to get another 4 later, but the day got away from me.
    Saturday: W/U - 8 x 800 with 90sec - 200mts jog recovery, target 2:50 [2:51, 2:50, 2:51, 2:51, 2:49, 2:51, 2:49, 2:48], these were actually quite tough, although only at the same pace as my 4 x 1 mile last week. Feeling a little lethargic and the legs were lifeless, off work now for a few weeks and will try and catch up with some sleep before the 10k and get a rub down Monday morning.

Trying to get out the door on time aiming to meet Abhainn and Pronator at 9 at Tescos, I got there a minute past, no sign, so I ran out towards Rathnew, couldn't see anyone in the distance so I just kept going and completed a 10 mile loop @ 7:38 pace.

WTD: 68.7 [42.7]
    MTD: 68.7 [42.7]
    YTD: 2,158.5 [1,341.5]
    Races YTD: 21 [7 x M40 PB's]

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Good running Beepbeep, we left bang on 9am, Joe sets a mean pace:eek: He wears two watches you know:D With the sun shining we thought you had gone to Shanganagh.

Best of luck with the race, your in great shape;)

Got pummelled by Gerry this afternoon, didn't realise I had so many tight spots, particularly on the outside of the calves - remind me again why we do this again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pronator wrote: »
    Good running Beepbeep, we left bang on 9am, Joe sets a mean pace:eek: He wears two watches you know:D With the sun shining we thought you had gone to Shanganagh.

Best of luck with the race, your in great shape;)

Does he have a spare in case they both break? :)

Slow 5 mile run with 4 x 100mt strides, pace > 8mins, the few strides brought the average pace to 8min.
    Legs reasonably ok from the massage y'day, calves feel great, quads feel dead.

Great session today, got through 24 x Socks, 17 x tops and 14 x shorts (rinse, repeat and spin), the joys of being off work :rolleyes:.
    6022173638_2622d7e221_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great session today, got through 24 x Socks, 17 x tops and 14 x shorts (rinse, repeat and spin), the joys of being off work :rolleyes:.
    6022173638_2622d7e221_z.jpg

I have a dirty back of gear that needs to be washed if you want more ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Does he have a spare in case they both break? :)

If that happens I just stop and walk home. No point in running then:)

Just an easy run with some strides planned for me today, so I took the kids to the rugby club. They done 3 x 2 mins warm up with a stretching break in between and after we found some cones and made a 15mt square they done 6 box sprints (2x1 side + diagonal, 2x2 sides + diagonal, 2x3 sides + diagonal) followed by a 4 min warm down - they loved it and I've promised we'll do more sessions during the hols.
    I got about 15mins in with 6 strides.

So rocked up to Ballinamore with the gang to be greeted by driving rain and wind but thems the breaks.
    Got a solid warm up in and we were called to the off, 1st couple of k went to plan 3:39 / 3:41, but the nice flat section along the canal where I planed to bank some time for the hilly back 5 was into the wind and rain these were 3 x 3:50 so steady at least. An uphill 6th k follows and I'm running on my own in 3rd, so this is feeling like a time trial, 3:57, get it back together with a 3:49 & a 3:46 before a hilly 9th in 3:59 a check of the watch shows 34:25 and I need to get a wriggle on to break 38, so I pull out a 3:27 albeit including a downhill section for 37:53 (chip) 3rd overall and 1st M40. Not quiet the time I was looking for, but ok for a windy, rainy time trial.

Afternoon snooze followed by a hilly 10k recovery run around Drumcoura and Drumreilly. What a difference a day makes, sitting here on the deck in glorious sunshine :-) 10k @ 4:47 pace.

Normal weather conditions returned to the Northwest as I dropped the kids at the local hop and ran the 10k course from the 1k mark and then on out to Drumcoura for a nice and wet 10 miler at about 7:40 pace (Garmin died early doors - was nice to run without clock watching).

Stretched for time after travelling back from Leitrim, managed to squeeze in 9k with 4k @ 3:57 pace - average 4:32 pace.

Finished off the week with a nice trot from the house out along the Murrough up into Newcastle and then along along the back road to Rathnew, apart from a sandy / stoney section for about 2 miles before Newcastle it's a lovely run.
    23.5k @ 4:50 pace

WTD: 85.1 [52.9]
    MTD: 153.7 [95.6]
    YTD: 2,243.6 [1,394.4]
    Races YTD: 22 [8 x M40 PB's]

Warm up jog along the Murrough followed by 3 x 10mins @ tempo pace, nothing too strenuous just get the legs turning over, covered 2.54k (3:56 pace), 2.55k (3:55 pace) and 2.57k (3:53 pace) and a warm down for a total of 8 miles @ 7:15 pace.

Have the crew over in London to visit Legoland plus other attractions. Staying near the inlaws in Feltham and didn't hold too much hope as I headed out the door for a trot at 6pm - 14hrs after getting up, but found a gem of a park (Hunworth I think) which has a nice variety of tracks mown into it, eventually settled on a nice 2.4k loop and finished up at 14k something for just over 100k in the last 7 days. Was introduced to a pit bull called Diesel after about 8k but he was fine really, but a 4:40k followed which was 15 seconds faster than the average, got me thinking if there any benefits to releasing the hounds in the last 2k of a 10k. Race to see if the adrenelin impact kicks in?

• Advertisement

Yesterday's recovery day consisted of 8hrs walking around Legoland eating junk and later drinking local ales. So today I felt as fresh as 3 day old egg sandwich.
    Hit my loop and managed 3 laps at PMP (10:10 - 10:14 - 10:12 for 2.44k loop) extended the last a little to complete 8k @ 4:11 pace, finished off with 4x25sec strides for about 11.2k back to routine tomorrow.

Advertisement