Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice 10.2 mile loop from the house out the back road to Blainroe, Magheramore and back along the coast road to Wicklow, plan was to keep it easy. 1st 3k were slow uphill against the wind, but I planned to keep the effort even, after that it was a case of having to keep putting the breaks on, finished uphill against the wind!
    10.2 @ 7:44 pace.

This weekend was one of those weekends where I lost brownie points on the run-family balance, session yesterday and marking the F4L course was 3.5hrs and organising the race and getting a 2hr run today was 5hrs+, but I have a cunning plan.
    Sat: 4 x 1 mile @ 10k pace, was a bit of a disaster, left it to the afternoon and I wasn't in the mood, doing it on the Murrough didn't help, the surface is great for an easy/steady run but not for a session, think I over extended at one stage and had to cut it short from my planned 7 reps. Ligaments at the front lower end of my left leg are giving me some trouble.
    Sun: Long run left to the afternoon, minimal food, semi-hydrated, so stuck on the cans (5Live), brought 2 gels and €2, leg started giving out at 2.5mls, so eased off and ran to 6mls and took a gel and had a stretch, was worse starting off again so just kept going, made it to Ashford (11mls) stopped and bought water and used half to cool the leg, felt reasonably ok and got me home for 15 @ 7:53 pace.
    Limping around now :mad: - planned rest day tomorrow and plently of RICE tonight.

WTD: 88.9 [55.3]
    MTD: 242.6 [150.8]
    YTD: 2,332.5 [1,449.6]
    Races YTD: 22 [8 x M40 PB's]

Very sore today and my left ankle has disappeared, going to try all the usual home remedy stuff for a few days and take it from there. HM could be at risk. Guess going for a 15ml run wasn't my best idea every, when I could have turned back at 2.5mls.

Lower leg /ankle still sore and swollen today, but improving. Hopped on the bike for a quick spin instead, just over 44k, 26.8km/h on the way out, 30km/h on the way back - no reaction and feels a little looser now. Will continue with the home treatment tonight and try and little jog tomorrow hopefully.

Thought I was on for a miracle recovery, came home and ran on the treadie, kept it easy and put it at 3% to reduce the down impact, but although I was walking around fine today, there's a sharp pain there when running, more bike and more recovery I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hope its nothing to serious.

30mins relatively pain free!
    Set up the treadie and had the bike on stand by, but this went smoothly enough, can feel tightness on the outside of my shin and front of my ankle still so will hit the Trig tonight. Will try increasing the distance tomorrow and hopefully the pace on Saturday.

Was tender today more so from the Trig session I think and a poor choice of footware in work today that was pinching the area meant I took a cautious approach and didn't run this evening, hit the bike for a 40k spin instead.
    All was going well and I was practising staying on the aero bars for as long as possible when I got a poxy puncture doing 51.4km/h coming out of Ballinacor heading towards Redcross, was fun trying to stop the rear from sliding as I ground to a halt. This was my 1st road side puncture since I was teenager and my pit stop skills wouldn't get me a place in the Mclaren team as a tardy 12 mins later I was on the road again.
    39.4k @ 28.2km/h
    D-Day tomorrow heading for 12 miles on a 3 mile lap, if I break down I'm taking time out.

No dice.
    2 miles on the treadie yesterday and not much more this afternoon - no real improvement, still swelling if I don't wear knee high compression socks my lower leg moulds around what ever construction the sock is :(.
    8.5 miles for the week - 83k on the bike, will take 2 days off running and hit the bike.

Got an elasticated tubular bandage which I've been able to manipulate to compress the right area and this seems to be working, but sticking to the plan of no run until Weds.
    So jumped on the bike after work for 62k @ 28km/h - could have been quicker but got held up by 4, yes I kid you not, 4 tractors at different stages once on a nice downhill section where I was doing 22 instead of 42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    So jumped on the bike after work for 62k @ 28km/h - could have been quicker but got held up by 4, yes I kid you not, 4 tractors at different stages once on a nice downhill section where I was doing 22 instead of 42.

Ah yes pity that your weren't on a stiff climb then as your could have drafted off them:). 4 was a bit much though.

I was still half asleep on my run when you "beeped" me this morning

Chances of you still doing the half? May be a few of us should car pool?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Ah yes pity that your weren't on a stiff climb then as your could have drafted off them:). 4 was a bit much though.

I was still half asleep on my run when you "beeped" me this morning

Chances of you still doing the half? May be a few of us should car pool?

Thought your reaction times were slow alright!
    I'll make a call on Weds on whether to run or not, a fast time is out now, but wouldn't mind running at about 6:45pace for a good workout.
    Organising Sli vests for you, KC and Pre - will drop them over if I'm not travelling.

Just time for a short bike in fading light, 36k @ 28.5km/h, including 2 x 12k loop @ 30.5km/h. Flexor feels fine except at the very last part of raising the toes - will try a 30min run tomorrow #dday.

Managed 4 miles on the treadie tonight @ 7:54 pace, a little sore afterwards, but progressing. Will try a few more miles tomorrow with a bit at race pace and make a call on the HM from there.

Thunderbirds are go!
    Got through my session tonight unscathed, the only purpose was to see if I ran at my original planned race pace for a few k would the injury hold up. So after a 2.5k warm up I hit 4k @ 3:55 pace, this went fine with the exception of working a little for it, but the main aim was to test the leg - job done. I won't now run at that pace, but a good workout instead for hopefully an M40 pb and if the injury isn't playing ball there's a bailout option at about 3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Ill see u on the line

National Half Marathon - 1:26:32 M40 pb
    I tried to convince myself going into this that all was well and put my recent injury to one side and the 10 days training missed, in fairness the leg felt ok the last few days, but would be sore after running.
    Hooked up with Abhainn at 9:15 to take the spin down the N11, planning to grab a coffee along the way, arrived nice an early just after 11:30 and there was a good buzz around the RSC, great setting for a race, both for participants and spectators. Gradually bumped into the rest of the team which included Krusty and Pre. A nice warm up on the track a few last sips of water and I headed over to the start, a very relaxed start at that with about 900 in the Woodies car park and once called onto the road we were off within a few minutes. I settled into the race quickly enough and maybe a little too quick for the first few k when I seen 7:30 for 2k, so I eased off and concentrated on running efficiently. My original training had been aimed to run at 3:55 per k to dip under 83 and my revised plan had me in the 4:00 - 4:05 range and I was soon clocking 4's on the button for the next 6 k's and feeling very relaxed running my own race. The pace fell off a little on the few climbs that followed but I was holding my own around me and not too bothered, I averaged 4:06 for these. There was then a nice downhill section where I decided to stride out for bit and almost immediately my injury started giving out, so I eased off to see if I could run through it, went through 12k in 47:41 so sub 84 was there but once I tried to up the pace again I was nearly limping and once a 4:18 and 4:28 followed I was resigned to the fact and jogged the remaining 7k at about 4:16 pace feeling sorry for myself. Finished in 1:26:32 which is a 2min12 pb, but I know it could have been better. It's a great course and if the race in December doesn't clash with a county XC I could be back to slay this demon. Well done to the other Sli and Boardies running, with Pre knocking out a 74 - brilliant.

I got out of bed early this morning to hit the bike and do some reflection, but I'm swollen so I'm pulling a sickie and taking some time off to let this heal.

WTD: 38.9 [24.2]
    MTD: 32.5 [20.2]
    YTD: 2,385.1 [1,482.4]
    Races YTD: 23 [9 x M40 PB's]

M40 5k PB - WTF!

The last 17 days have consisted of a handful of runs and HM where I had to bail at halfway, had an easy run on Monday and Tuesday with a few strides and thankfully no real pain.
    Was going to be in Shanganagh this evening anyway to help so brought my gear to see how I would feel after a warm up and decided to give it a blast as it was easy to bail out on the 2.5 lap course. The Adizero Pro 4's got their 1st race outing tonight and my achilles are giving out a little now, but they really are a joy to wear.
    2k warm up followed by a few strides and I'm thinking I'll run about 3:40 pace for 18:20, met Brownian on the line and there was a splattering of other Boardies running and stewarding / supporting. Got off to a solid start and felt very relaxed, was surprised to see 3:26 for the 1st k as I tucked in about 5 yds behind Brownian, first lap went around quickly with a 2nd k of 3:35. Jamie Cullen passed me about 300 yds into this lap and I just tried to stay in touch and 3:36 followed, the 2nd k on each lap is slightly uphill and my pace slipped a little on the 4th to 3:41 as Simon Monds passed me, but as I was trying to hold him off this brought me passed Brownian and I was closing on Jamie, starting to hurt now (max HR 181) as I passed Jamie and was struggling to keep Simon in my sights - Jamie's a solid Junior track runner and he took me again with 200 to go, but again I used his momentum to get past Simon for a final k of 3:22 and 17:40, rounded up to 17:41 in the results, nice surprise.
    5 weeks, 4 races, 4 pbs [2m, 5k, 10k & HM]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nicely done Dom! Some number of PBs in 5 weeks, particularly given the injury-related down-time. You might as well just try and complete the set. DCM in a few weeks time?!

Nicely done Dom! Some number of PBs in 5 weeks, particularly given the injury-related down-time. You might as well just try and complete the set. DCM in a few weeks time?!

Think a little rest is on the cards, that's 90Miles, 24 races and 8hrs50 of racing this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    M40 5k PB - WTF!

Good going - thats a nice target for me to aim at with my end-of-season 5K.

Just an easy recovery run in Shanganagh on the way home, achilles are shot, will alternate running and cycling for a few days.
    Just under 6 miles at 7:40 pace.

Just continuing to take a cautious approach, took Sat off and ran a nice easy 13.6k on Carrick this morning with some Sli runners @ 4:52 pace.

WTD: 47.0 [29.2]
    MTD: 79.5 [49.4]
    YTD: 2,432.1 [1,511.6]
    Races YTD: 24 [10 x M40 PB's]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Getting better with age just like a good wine.

T Minus 31 Weeks

So after what I considered a disappointing HM in Waterford, rather than wallow in self pity the following day I booked flights to Rotterdam for the weekend of April 15th for the 32nd running of Marathon Rotterdam, it's a long way away but it will keep me honest over the Winter. The plan will be to slowly build mileage up to Christmas and only using races and the odd tempo session for speed and then get into 16 weeks specific training. This will be my 1st Marathon and if everything goes according to plan and I get a sub 3 - it will also be my last.
    Why Rotterdam? No other reason than it comes a few weeks after my 45th birthday. Hotel is booked 100mts from the start and registration opens in a few weeks - let's go!

Will the training being mainly mileage - I'll move to a weekly update, unless something interesting is going on.

Mon
    Easy run in Shanganagh, with the only purpose to tip over the hour mark, just over 8 miles in just under 1:04 - nice just to run!

Tue
    Met up with a clubie and we went on a nice easy trot around Carrick, again no drama, but felt a little tired - 6.9 in 54.

Wed
    I've a few 'B' races over the next few weeks, so I'll make sure I hit double figures mid-week, so it was 10 miles in Shanganagh at a decent pace for a Weds after work - just under 74 for 7:23 pace, av HR 152 - this needs to come down.

Thu
    That was the 1st time I've done 4 days on the trot since the injury and while there's no pain, it still swells a little - precautionary rest day, got home, took Abi out on her bike, collect Luke from kick-boxing, went and had ice cream - brownie points stored ;)

Fri
    Decided I'll do the 5k on Sunday, so an easy 6 miles in Shanganagh with 6 x 100mt strides to open dem dar hips - 7:58 pace

Sat
    Hopped on the treadie for 6k watching the 1st half of the Rugby - 2nd half was spent make 4 croissants, 4 slices of bacon and few eggs disappear - easy to eat too much when you are distracted with a great game - that's my excuse.

Sun
    Another PB WTF#2, this shouldn't have been a PB, a few beers and a few glasses of wine last night, too much grazing, a blustery course, but hey I'll take them when they come along.
    Left the house 45mins before the race and collected my number, went on a 2k warm up with a few strides and strolled down to the start, maybe 60+ in this one, with a combination of youthful exuberance and some names of yesteryear (Nigel Brunton, Shay Faulkner).
    The race kicked off as we headed North on the N11 into a swirling breeze and after halfway through the 1st k it had split into 3 groups, with me in the 3rd group with Robin and Ben Mooney, Darragh Page and Nigel Brunton. This wasn't about hitting perfect splits as I just sat in about 12th place taking whatever shelter was on offer and staying out of trouble as a few heels got clipped. This group stayed together as we pulled in someone how fell of the back of group 2 and then I think we dropped Nigel. Hit the turn as I made a mess of the u turn loosing about 5mts and checking the watch at av 3:37 pace, thinking I could salvage a sub 18 out of this.
    Working to get back up with Ben and Darragh passing another and dropping Robin in the process, I kept the pace up and took Darragh with me as Ben fell away, the next 3 bodies were spread out between 10 and 50mts ahead, so working with Darragh we were on a roll and quickly pulled in 7th place with myself and Darragh exchanging places - this was it, this was racing, no time to look at the watch, but I felt great, I felt in control. With about a mile to go 6th place was up for grabs as myself and Darragh continued to battle and we dragged this guy along as we all tried to surge, as we came off the last roundabout with just over a k to go I made my surge and started to drop the other 2, 5th place was now my target about 20mts ahead, put the boot down and was there just after the 800 to go sign (thanks Tim) and we battled over the next 400 ebbing and flowing, before I found another gear and pushed on again and continued to wind it up (at one stage the Garmin says I was doing 22.5km/h), felt light headed as I crossed the line in 17:40 for a 1 sec PB and a last k of 3:11 :eek::eek: (I deserve 2 eeks for that).

WTD: 64.8 [40.2]
    MTD: 144.2 [89.6]
    YTD: 2,496.9 [1,551.8]
    Races YTD: 25 [11 x M40 PB's]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wow. PBs as regular as clockwork. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Savage running. 17:40 in that wind...:eek:

I've said "my last marathon" a few times now - Rotterdam could be your first last marathon :)

Mon
    Just an easy run in Shanganagh, nice and mild with a gentle breeze: 8 miles @ 7:46 pace
    Tue
    After 4 days on the trot I slotted in my precautionary Rest day, nice to get home and spend some time with the kids.
    Wed
    Met up with a clubie in Shanganagh for 11 miles steady with 4 miles @ PMP (6:43, 6:41, 6:45, 6:45), took a bit of time to adjust to 6:45 pace but there'll be lots of these in the plan. Leg started to give out towards the end (it is the furthest I've ran since the half) and was quite swollen afterwards.
    Thu
    Just ran on the treadie as I was uncertain of hitting the road for the planned 8 miler, good decision as I tightened up at about 5 miles, so called it quits.
    Fri
    Recovery day - swelling was still there
    Sat
    Just a tester to check the leg, just ran for 5k with some strides.
    Sun - Leinster 10k RR Champs [2 gongs:p]
    So I've missed 14 days training in the last 36 days, which is the same as the number days I had taken off for the year up to the middle of August and where I've been able to hold it together for 5k's, 10k was going to test me more and on a hilly, windy course in Rathdrum I was found wanting a little.
    Never really got into my stride on this today and was out of sorts, admittedly the wind and hills didn't help and I could've tried a little harder.
    The race was 2 laps, downhill against the wind for just over a mile before turning off the main road, around by Avondale before a mile of predominantly uphill - the 3k or so along the main road wasn't pretty against a fairly strong breeze and when I hit this on lap 1 I dropped my group who were starting to go a little slow for me and there I was on my todd from 4k to the finish.
    I did finish 11th in a weak field as Wicklow took the county prize and Sli Cualann had the same points as Tullamore, but lost on count back for 2nd place - 39:04 was the finishing time, so the PB streak comes to an end.
    A few cross countries to get out of the way and then it's 10 weeks of miles.
    Great run by Krusty to finish 3rd and sneak a 1 sec PB.

WTD: 57.9 [36.0]
    MTD: 202.1 [125.6]
    YTD: 2,554.8 [1,587.8]
    Races YTD: 26 [11 x M40 PB's]

Mon
    Easy run in Shanganagh after work, no reaction from the previous days race - which probably means I could have tried harder, but nice to come out in good nick. 7 @ 7:53 pace
    Wed
    Steadier run in Shanganagh, with 3 x 7 min miles thrown in the middle, nice and mild but a tasty breeze to contend with, got through 8 @ 7:18 pace.
    Thu
    Busy day ahead so got up early and jumped on the treadie for 5.5 @ 7:50 pace.
    Fri
    Just time to squeeze in a few miles in GRC on the way home and give the spikes their 1st outing since Jan, finished with 6 x 75mt strides.
    Sat
    Watched the 1st half of Eng V Sco while squeezing in 6k on the treadie, family day ahead while dodging rain.
    Sun - Wicklow Novice XC
    Have a few Cross Countries to get through over the new couple of weeks and the plan after my recent injury is really turn up, have a good workout and come out the other end with no niggles so I can start 10 weeks of base mileage.
    With that in mind I was running very much within myself today and this felt like a training run although I finished up with 3:45 average pace over the fields.
    The course was a 1.8k lap where we started 600mts up and then 3 to go from the finish, where there was a hill for about 400mts and with the majority of our team either ineligible or in Marathon mode it was a fairly sparse team from Bray so we weren't really in the running for medals so placings were a side concern.
    Race started off at a handy pace and I just concentrated on getting into a rhythm with the plan to run steady all the way around, going past the start after 1 lap the race had taken shape with 5 in a break away group another group of 5 and me in the next group in 12th place and the k's ticked by - 3:45, 3:45, 3:49, 3:51, I gradually started to up the pace at this point and eased into 11th on my own, before catching 10th with a lap to go, worked up the hill to close the gap on 9th pretty quickly (3:48 on the hilly k) and after sitting in behind for about 100mts, went again and quickly pulled away and that was it, I was slowly closing on 8th in the final k which I ran at 3:30 pace but ran out of track - job done, couple of miles warm down and no reaction from my injury :)

WTD: 56.3 [35.0]
    MTD (Sept): 241.9 [150.3]
    YTD: 2,611.0 [1,622.8]
    Races YTD: 27 [11 x M40 PB's]

• Advertisement

Bit of a lazy week this week, ran with no real plan in mind and made it up as I went along - enjoyable all the same.
    Mon-Tue
    Couple of easy runs around Shanganagh, Monday I was pushed for time, so it was just 5 miles @ 7:30 pace and Tuesday bumped into a mate and ran 8 @ 7:12 pace.
    Wed
    Nice gentle 10k loop around Lord Meath's - Belmont Woods and the lower trail of the Little Sugarloaf, just under 8min pace.
    Thu
    Tight on time again, just managed to squeeze in 4 @ 7:30 pace.
    Sat-Sun
    Couple of 1hr runs, one on my todd from the house down along the Murrough and back (7.5 @ 7:38 pace) and this morning met up with a few in Avondale for a nice socialable trot (7.9 @ 7:35 pace).

WTD: 62.5 [38.8]
    MTD: 79.0 [49.1]
    YTD: 2,673.5 [1,661.6]
    Races YTD: 27 [11 x M40 PB's]

Advertisement