Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Picked up a turbo trainer today, can't run so must do something, late enough when I got home, but managed a 1hr session on it, got my speed and cadence working with the 405 but couldn't find the HRM in a hurry, I think working out by HR is probably optimum, but got a good sweat on watching the Toon Army win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Picked up a turbo trainer today, can't run so must do something, late enough when I got home, but managed a 1hr session on it, got my speed and cadence working with the 405 but couldn't find the HRM in a hurry, I think working out by HR is probably optimum, but got a good sweat on watching the Toon Army win.

First great numbers you've posted
    I love your commitment. What turbo have you got?
    Regarding HRM , is that a Garmin version? I know there were problems matching a Tacx turbo with a Garmin. My Polar Wearlink HRM has no issues

Still haven't tried your spikes. Hoping to get out in the mud tomorrow :)

Abhainn wrote: »
    First great numbers you've posted
    I love your commitment. What turbo have you got?
    Regarding HRM , is that a Garmin version? I know there were problems matching a Tacx turbo with a Garmin. My Polar Wearlink HRM has no issues

Still haven't tried your spikes. Hoping to get out in the mud tomorrow :)

Tacx Satori Stripes - nothing fancy but a nice option to have.
    I have the speed and cadence senor for the 405, but never used the speed option as I always used outside via GPS, so I just put the magnet on the spokes last night and because it was on auto calibrate it had calibrated via the GPS. So I'll be reading the HR data off the 405 on the handlebar mount.

45 mins on the turbo trainer using the HR this time, managed to get it up to 150 eventually.
    20 mins on the treadie.
    :D ankle feels fine with the straping
    :( sciatica still giving out
    :( knee still there, did loosen out
    :D chest 90% ok
    Followed by my stretching and strengthening routine.
    :confused: 50:50 for the weekend.

Cut the umbilical cord from the treadie and turbo tonight and headed out on the road, no real improvement with the knee and my left ass is going numb, ankle seems fine, I'll take the taping off tomorrow, 5k slow.
    Back home for rehab exercises.
    A few miles on grass tomorrow with a few strides and make a call then.

• Advertisement

Removed the ankle tape this morning and ran 4k on grass followed by a good 20mins stretching and then 4 x 60mts strides. Ankle is fine (turning left is a little troublesome), knee is still painful (but runable), sciatica is still going numb (not sure if this is from the dry needling).
    Moving my chances of racing tomorrow from 50:50 to 70:30, will do the warm up and make a late call, fitness has dropped a little, at least it's only 6k.

Time for a little spring cleaning - if anyone has any ideas rather than landfill. A few classics in there (check out the Nike Zooms at the front - cutting edge in their time) and a few poor purchases.
    387775_2778128586709_1662987617_2454915_1967530519_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is that a pair of Fila I see?

Is that a pair of Fila I see?

Well spotted - only about 10 miles on them, bought them half a size too small in a sale - free to a good home (sz9.5)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Time for a little spring cleaning - if anyone has any ideas rather than landfill. A few classics in there (check out the Nike Zooms at the front - cutting edge in their time) and a few poor purchases.
    387775_2778128586709_1662987617_2454915_1967530519_n.jpg

jesus thats some amount:eek:, one option is to pick out some of the cooler ones and put them in a non spin cycle in the washing machine and ware them as leisure footware after they dry out!, i did it with a pair and they looked brand new, couldnt believe how clean they came out!

jesus thats some amount:eek:, one option is to pick out some of the cooler ones and put them in a non spin cycle in the washing machine and ware them as leisure footware after they dry out!, i did it with a pair and they looked brand new, couldnt believe how clean they came out!

Ha maybe - I might have to dig out my sleeveless Deep Purple denim jacket and skin tight Levis :p

So less than ideal preparation heading into this one, with dodgy knees, sciatica, strained ankle ligaments and a chesty cough hampering training over the last few weeks, if this had been a Streets of Wicklow or a Tom Brennan I would have pulled a sickie, but County Championships are a different matter.
    The plan was to get a solid warm up in, do my rehab and stretching routine and take it from there. So with a liberal amount of Tiger Balm applied to the lower back and glutes, if was off on a warm up, ankle ok a little sore turning left, knee fine and sciatica noticeable, lots of back, glute and hamstring stretching followed, off on another run, this time with some strides and the decision was taken to get the spikes on and do some strides - ok game on.
    Decided for the race as I have lost some sharpness to get out hard enough and maintain the pace for as long as possible and found myself leading for the first 2-300mts, before the ones who were going to involved in the shake up came through and had a solid 1st couple k with both at 3:39. Felt like it was getting a little crowded at 2k so I put a little burst in which probably filtered the group that were fighting for 5th place on wards down from about 7 to 4 and at 3k John Baldwin came through strongly as he pushed on to chase down 4th and the 4th placed runner faded at around the 4k mark as my little group came past him. With a k to go I put in another little burst to try and shake my group as I knew I wouldn't have another gear, but I never got far enough ahead to make it tell and with about 300 to go Krusty and Ben Mooney came through and I had nothing left to respond with.
    Overall I finished 7th, I'm very happy with that considering the last few weeks and got ahead of 3 that finished ahead of me in the Senior XC before Christmas, but missed my little kick at the end and I didn't leave anything out there with my HR maxing at 182 (2nd highest of last year).
    6.17k in 23:04
    Great win for Abhainn in his 1st county XC event and Fin Kirwan and Martin Francis made up a Bray 1-2-3.

Good news no reaction from the knee or the ankle after yesterday, not so good news my sciatica, hip and lower back are in ribbons, had to hit the Ibuprofen last night and spent the evening rolling around on the yoga mat trying various stretch positions. Managed 5 slow and painful miles back at the scene of the crime this evening, physio again on Weds will try and keep ticking over until then.

Killed my run after 2 painful miles this evening - looking for a miracle at the Physio tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck with it BB. You're kinda pushing your luck a little, if I may be so bold... but you do seem to respond to therapy, so hoping it won't linger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope its just a niggle and you're back to your routine in no time.

Cheers lads, reading up on it a lot of people run through it and live with the pain, so maybe I need to SIU, HTFU and LWTP - just home now, so hitting the stretching routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Listen to the physio! ;)

Just back from the Physio, tight back, hip flexors, fascia, glutes, quads and hamstrings - holy moly. had some serious manipulation and 7 needles in my a$$, it's amazing how quickly everything loosened out.
    Anyway a night off, followed by a few days on the turbo + Stretches (back, cat, glut, piriformis, hip flexor and groin) and strength (bridge, clam, standing superman and plank) and foam rolling (inner thigh, quads, itb and gluts).
    I have to say I'm very impressed with the attention to detail and the advice so far if anyone is looking for a recommendation in the Wicklow area.
    Good info on their site also: http://www.eastcoastphysio.ie/exercises.html

• Advertisement

1hr turbo @ average cadence of 91, getting the HR to 157 while watching a full hour Sky Sports News - sure what else would you be doing!

Another 1hr on the turbo, 1hr of S&C awaits - the joy!

2k on grass, no dice, still at square one, boo!

Still no running, is my marathon window closing - 45k handy on the bike @ 27km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Supportive pat on back. A week or 2 off your feet shouldn't effect you too much. Could be a positive. Any more than that though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Still no running, is my marathon window closing - 45k handy on the bike @ 27km/h.
    It's no harm. You're already in solid shape. Two weeks off will put you in a good position to kick-on for the final 11-12 weeks, as long as you can shake the injuries.

Cheers SJ and KC - reckon I've another week max, only 40 miles since the 29th of Dec.

1hr S&C - beginning to like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Two weeks off still gives you 11 weeks of solid training. Crap that you're still struggling. :(

How does the turbo feel? Are you alright to cycle?

Two weeks off still gives you 11 weeks of solid training. Crap that you're still struggling. :(

How does the turbo feel? Are you alright to cycle?

No problem cycling, that keeps a glimmer of hope there, saddle sores here I come :eek:

• Advertisement

Staying on the cautious side and not running today or tomorrow, that will effectively be 8 days without running - another 1hr on the turbo tonight plus S&C.

Advertisement