Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

:( Window has now closed on Dungarvan and is about to close on RTM.

Headed over to Shanganagh after work, felt reasonably ok for about 500mts, then bang pain kicked in again. This is the most frustrating injury I've had, I normally have the ability to run and even race through most strains and niggles, but this one is on a different level of pain. Felt fine since the weekend, but as soon as I run it kicks in. Back in physio on Friday, might need to explore getting a scan or something, going to take 10 days off running anyway.

WeepWeep67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sciatica can be a killer, you have my sympathies. If you can organize it, get an MRI, that will give you a clearer picture if there is any damage.

Swimming might be more useful than bending over a bike, if you're looking to maintain fitness during your hiatus.

Sciatica can be a killer, you have my sympathies. If you can organize it, get an MRI, that will give you a clearer picture if there is any damage.

Swimming might be more useful than bending over a bike, if you're looking to maintain fitness during your hiatus.

Really is a pain in the a$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's lousy luck, Dom. I hope that your physio does you some good. Taking time off really is a pain - you miss the mental downtime, you lose fitness, and you get frustrated (not to paint too rosy a picture for you :)).

Seriously, hope it sorts itself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I injured my right foot and right knee after my last half marathon and it took an eternity for the pain to subside....so I feel for you. I do agree with dpop, swimming is an excellent option...plus some core work, strength, stretching, yoga, etc to keep you in shape...and for my injury, the bike was fine and I think perhaps has helped to strengthen my knee(s). I still have subtle aching when running hard downhill, but nothing that is slowing me down. I definitely respect pain when I feel it. And, obviously, the quicker you do what you need to do to start the healing process, the quicker you'll recover and be out there doing what you love to do - running. (I don't suppose it could be shoe related??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Last year I got a referral from Dr. Cuddihy in Greystones to the Sports Surgery Clinic. Doctors in both places knew their sports injuries so they might be worth a go. The latter have all the scanning equipment known to man.

Thanks, will keep doing what I need to do, doubt it's shoe related as I'm a serial rotater (usually have 6-10 pairs on the go ;))

Last year I got a referral from Dr. Cuddihy in Greystones to the Sports Surgery Clinic. Doctors in both places knew their sports injuries so they might be worth a go. The latter have all the scanning equipment known to man.

Where's the Sports Surgery Clinic?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Where's the Sports Surgery Clinic?
    Santry. I saw Dr. Eanna Falvey there. Top notch.

Creak...Slam as the door closes on Rotterdam from a race perspective anyway, may run it as an LSR if I'm in any shape in April.
    Back at physio this evening, ran for 2k on treadie beforehand to replicate the pain, only took 1.2k to achieve and I got a raised eyebrow as I told the Physio what I had done :rolleyes: and a bit of a telling off :o, but I was thinking like bringing your car to garage, if you know what I mean.
    Anyway no running for at least a week and maybe 2, nice needling work this evening - the most painful it's been and lots of manipulation and deep tissue (I'm like a cripple now). I'm inflamed around the Glut area so on anti-inflammatory tablets for the next 5 days and an increase in the rehab work - basically I've no a$$ and I need to grow one :eek:.
    It's a relief in one sense to go beyond the trying to get back in time for Rotterdam, maybe Waterford is a plan B!
    I might be doing the Wicklow 200 at the end of this!

• Advertisement

Sensible call. Think longer term. Consider going to Rotterdam and enjoy the weekend as a non running weekend with the OH.

62k bike @ 27km/h with some challenging winds trying to chuck me under a car every now and then, so nipped off the N11 whenever I could, bit of a struggle on the way out, think I turned @ an average of 24.6km/h, but a more favorable wind on the way back meant I averaged >30 km/h for the last 34k.
    Came home refueled and took the kids to the pool where I got in 30mins aqua-jogging followed by 15mins stretching in the steam room.
    Between aqua-jogging and turbo training one could quiet easily lose the will to live - but needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You might turn out to be a triathlete when this is all said and done. There's still plenty of room to join the SBR Challenge! ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You might turn out to be a triathlete when this is all said and done. There's still plenty of room to join the SBR Challenge! ;)
    *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

re Rotterdam, well thats a bloody bummer.
    Regarding your ass any thoughts on silicon implants:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sorry to hear about the injury :( .

Abhainn wrote: »
    re Rotterdam, well thats a bloody bummer.
    Regarding your ass any thoughts on silicon implants:p

Was that a deliberate play on words!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to see you're out of Rotterdam. Still haven't decided myself whether I'm doing it or not yet. Continuing on the training plan to see if I all of a sudden feel ready to run a marathon closer to the day. :)

Any thoughts on doing another one later in the year?

Any thoughts on doing another one later in the year?

Undecided, depending on when I get back, maybe Waterford or wait until next year and just focus on the shorter stuff.

Still sticking to the no running plan; an hour of triple S last night and another hour to follow now. Researching how others have managed their way through sciatica walking is another alternative to add to the bike and aqua jogging.
    So tonight was 4miles @ 4mph @ 6% elevation, a bit of a work out, the HR raised eventually and I think a bead of sweat formed just before the end of the hour. No reaction.
    Watched the 1st 60mins of Limitless on Sky Go - suppose I'll have to watch the rest tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Undecided, depending on when I get back, maybe Waterford or wait until next year and just focus on the shorter stuff.

My thoughts exactly as well. Rotterdam just seems a little too close for comfort.

With this biking and aqua jogging we'll get you following dpop's emigration to the sbr challenge too. :)

1. 5k walk @ 7 km/h @ 7% incline on the treadie watching the end of Limitless
    2. 1hr on the turbo @ 90 cadence watching LFC v MCFC 1st half
    3. 1hr triple S watching LFC v MCFC 2nd half

Almost 3hrs and no running involved - who would have thunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thanks, will keep doing what I need to do, doubt it's shoe related as I'm a serial rotater (usually have 6-10 pairs on the go ;))

I noticed on another thread that you have transitioned to lower profile shoes in the last while, could that be a factor? Hope things improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just catching up. Sorry to hear that. Here's to a speedy recovery and ass building!

dna_leri wrote: »
    I noticed on another thread that you have transitioned to lower profile shoes in the last while, could that be a factor? Hope things improve soon.

After a chat with a clubie the theory I shared with the Physio is that is was brought on by the Lydiard downhill strides, this ties in looking back at my diary. But the root cause is still the weak core.

Physio this morning, the no running has helped as the pain was more localized, so fewer needles and a lot less activity in the Gluts this week, which is a good sign and able to pin point in the lower back the nerve that's potentially the main culprit. Good progress on the stability side of things :). Continuing with the same plan another week away from running.

So had a cheeky few 6k runs on the treadmill the last few nights and no real reaction :D, can still feel some tight spots in the lower back.
    Back in physio this morning and went through the usual treatment (dry needling - my new friend and various manipulations), happy that I ran and had no issues and now I'm officially allowed to ease back into it. I've been a model student :cool: and I'm progressing well on the strength and stability.
    Watch this space: BeepBeep rides again!

Well the recovery was nearly over as soon as it began - stubbed my toe earlier and I thought I broke it - it's so black now you'd think I been grape crushing in Bordeaux!!! Thankfully I was able to run on it later, even if it looks a mess.
    Got in a nice 5 miles on the local football pitch while the kids were at athletics, kept the first bit steady and then quickened for the last 2k (4:21 - 4:12) to finish in 37 mins. A bit of stretching to finish and all is good.

Reasonable session this morning hopped on the bike and cycled to Greystones; 30.7k @ 30.3 km/h, a slow transition as I transferred gear and secured the bike etc - 3:13 followed by a 5k run at 4:27pace, planned to run a little longer, but the Glut gave me a little reminder that I'm not fully recovered yet after 4 days on the trot. Toe was pretty sore for the first couple of k - not looking too pretty (see attached).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Ouch! Watch the paces coming back man, no heroics now. Good to see you running again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Welcome back - there's more recovering injurolics on this forum than anything else :) One day at a time, and easy on the heroics, as DP says.

Advertisement