Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ouch. That's a nasty one, but at least it's not broken and there's signs of overall recovery. Do you enter the average temperature manually in your Garmin activities? Data nerd!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Do you enter the average temperature manually in your Garmin activities? Data nerd!

Did you not get on the early adopter list for the 3.0 firmware - they must have heard you moved to 910xt (btw - it's next on my list).

Recovery Run/Walk/Stone Throwing/Snot Wiping /Bike Pushing/Pulling Kids out of bushes - Delighted to be back doing some type of activity this week, but still cautious of over doing it, my quad and ITB LHS are a little tight anyway, so took the kids and their bikes for 4 miles along the Murrough, more stopping than starting and I got a few drills in while they were chucking stones in the sea, Toe is on the mend pretty quickly.
    22.7 miles this week - it's a starting point.

Ah how I've missed stopping off in Shanganagh for a stress releasing run on the way home from work - it's actually been the beginning of December :eek:.
    Anyway got a nice gentle 10k+ in, the majority of this on grass in fading light under a full moon until the clouds had other ideas. There's still a little too much going on down my left hand side for my liking with tight quads and ITB to remind me to ease back in gently, but the Glute held up well.
    Sky Go, triple S and a demolition of Spurs in front of the Kop awaits (cough-cough Woddle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sky Go, triple S and a demolition of Spurs in front of the Kop awaits (cough-cough Woddle)

hmm should I wait till we win before replying :D

• Advertisement

More of the same this evening - might need to start 'a running in fading light' thread - isn't there a grand stretch in the evenings exaggerated by the full moon. Ran at the same perceived effort as yesterday but ended up 11 secs per k faster - a good sign. Done a good bit of foam rolling on the quads and ITB last night and this paid off this evening as I've move from pain to general soreness, which is manageable.
    10.18k @ 4:58 pace

Just a precautionary step back today and done 4 miles easy on treadie at lunch time followed by 20 mins stretching - Glute a little tight but not painful.

Things are progressing along nicely, increased to 1hr this evening in a damp Shanganagh, kept the pace @ 8mins. Glute is still noticeable as I tire so management of that still required. Physio tomorrow oh the joy!

Busy day and evening ahead plus wanted to have my run done before Physio - so an early morning, bleary eyed 5 miles in 39mins on the treadie watching Gadget Geeks with the cans on.
    Slowly but surely.

Oh dear Mother of God, dry needling in the Rectus Femoris - meet my friend pain!!! So the pain I had earlier in the week in the quads is all part of my underlying LHS issues and over compensating the weak core and glutes, so I had a bit of work done on those and more dry needling in the Glute (that has really calmed down), need to keep the brakes on the mileage and not get carried away, but my treatment has been pushed out to 2 weeks. Not allowed to run off the bike for next week, so might flip that around tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Took a rest day yesterday, was under pressure for time but still some residual soreness from Friday's treatment.
    Today headed up to Bray to meet a clubie before we hit the road for the Odyssey, 11.6ish k @ 4:40ish pace on a nice hilly loop of Enniskerry, aerobicially I felt ok, quad was a little tight after a downhilly at about 8k.
    That's just north of 36 miles for the week.

Quad was sore today so stayed on the treadmill crutch, managed an easy 45mins clocking up 5.75 mls.
    Treadie is making some strange noises, I've done the usual lubing (the treadmill not me), so if anyone knows someone who services them - much obliged tnx

With the night that's in it got out of the scratcher early for a gentle 5 miles around the town, still carrying aches and pains, more noticeable first thing in the morning - rest day tomorrow which means I'll have 60hrs between runs.

Handy 6 miles along the Murrough this evening, bumped into an ID runner and convinced him to run a little slower, got through it without any issues @ 7:48 pace.

Got chucked out of the car on the way home this evening and decided to try how the body would feel at a slightly increased pace - so ran 6.56 miles @ 7:26 pace including finishing up the Marlton Rd into a stiff breeze. A few areas straining under pressure, hard to tell if it's injury related or me being over sensitive, which I think is a good thing overall, another step in the right direction.

Out early enough this morning for an easy 7.5 mile undulating loop, there's several nice climbs on this one to keep you honest. Set up my new toy and I'm loving the vibration alerts and the big display. Not sure my training effect was 5.0 either I need to revisit the setting or I've lost a lot more fitness than I originally thought. 7.5 miles @ 7:43 pace.

Maybe just maybe.
    Today was a bit of a test, run for 90mins at a reasonable pace, if I get through it I can build from there and maybe still run Rotterdam as an extended long run or if not just call it quits.
    Well today went as well as it could have gone for someone who hasn't run for longer than an hour since December, headed up to Bray to meet a clubie where we ran to Shanganagh done 6 over there and returned home. Felt a few creaks and groans, but no more so than when you are extending your run, just that I'm coming from a lower base. First 40+ mile week since the middle of December also.
    12.3 miles @ 7:36 pace

WTD: 43.3M (69.6k)
    MTD: 99.1M (159.4k)
    YTD: 148.7M (239.2k)

Just a recovery trot yesterday.
    This evening met up with a clubie at Shanganagh, went for a 1 mile warm up followed by 5 steady miles @ 6:51 pace, another mile warm down and 6 strides. The body reacted well to this, fitness needs to improve though - HR too high for this type of pace - but another piece put back in the jigsaw.
    Total 7.4 miles @ 7min pace.

Felt yesterday's effort in the lower back and Glutes this evening, so it was one of those runs to forget, stopped for a little stretch halfway which helped and kept rolling to complete 6.57 Miles @ 7:55 pace. Average HR was 145 felt higher and training effect was 4.0 - felt more like 3 - think the watch needs more data.

Felt yesterday's effort in the lower back and Glutes this evening, so it was one of those runs to forget, stopped for a little stretch halfway which helped and kept rolling to complete 6.57 Miles @ 7:55 pace. Average HR was 145 felt higher and training effect was 4.0 - felt more like 3 - think the watch needs more data.
    Looking at your last linked run, Training Effect of 4.9 seems crazy for an average HR of 153. Are you sure you haven't entered your weight as a 350lb monster? Might be worth checking your age, height and max/resting HR as well.

• Advertisement

Looking at your last linked run, Training Effect of 4.9 seems crazy for an average HR of 153. Are you sure you haven't entered your weight as a 350lb monster? Might be worth checking your age, height and max/resting HR as well.

Yep that's all good - need to re check my resting HR, but it won't be different by more than 2 beats

Yep that's all good - need to re check my resting HR, but it won't be different by more than 2 beats
    That seems to suggest that you shouldn't let your HR go near 153 for fear of over-training. Are you as old as Yoda?

Thur
    Another nondescript run, this time around Shanganagh, planned to run a little longer, but felt out of sorts so called it a day - 5.2 miles @ 7:55 pace
    Fri AM
    Physio: various tests, quad massage, back manipulation and dry needling on the Glute. Stepping up the rehab program now adding weights to the exercises.
    Fri PM
    Easy run along the Murrough, quads sore from this morning, kept it nice and easy - 6 miles @ 7:57 pace
    Looking to add a bit on to the long run tomorrow.

I woke up this morning and my quad was still very tight and I really contemplated delaying my run until later, but when I weighed up the pros and cons; beautiful morning, rugby this afternoon and a 40th to go tonight it was a case of get the Tiger Balm out and hit the road. The pain in the quad never really subsided and I considered bailing out a few times, but the rest of me felt great and it was perfect conditions for running so I kept going and just stopped a few times to give it a stretch. Ran about 10 miles of the Wicklow HM course, avoided the last 3 miles, not for the ascent, but more so for the descent towards the finish which wouldn't have helped the quads.
    All in all got through 14.37 miles @ 7:39 pace + 16 mins from last week so on plan time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good on you today on that lumpy course

Only thing on the agenda this morning was to get and enjoy the run and clock up enough miles to tip me over 50 for the week. So I Tiger Balmed my quad within an inch of it's life and treated my feet to a spin in the Manas and headed from the house down the Port relief road and on out to Killoughter and back via the treatment works. Nice favorable breeze on the way out that resulted in some pay back on the way home. To be honest I feel great, it's just the quad that's lingering, built in a couple of stretch breaks to keep it from tightening too much - Dr Foam Roller awaits later, so hopefully it's gone in a few days.
    8.54 Miles @ 7:28 pace

WTD: 50.1M (80.6k)
    MTD: 149.2M (240.k)
    YTD: 198.8M (319.8k)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You gotta love that Tiger Balm!! Nice work you've been doing!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You gotta love that Tiger Balm!! Nice work you've been doing!! :)
    It's a little savior at times!

Mon.
    Slow recovery run around Shanganagh, quad was very tight so this was a precautionary shuffle - 5.22 miles @ 8:32 pace, followed by lots of stretching.
    Tue - Threshold
    Quad had improved today so I returned to my plan of adding some threshold running to my training this week, in Shanganagh and popped on my 230's which are a treat on Shanganagh's surface and went on a bit of a warm up, followed by stretching my troublesome areas. Plan was for 4 miles @ 6:21 pace and although the first mile was 6:24 I then got into a nice rhythm and knocked out the 4 miles in 25:19 (6:20 pace). This was primarily a test on my mechanics which performed well under an increase in effort, quad and glutes felt fine during the 4 miles, although the quad was a little tight afterwards, finished with an easy warm down. I was probably working a little on the hard side for this pace, but that will take some time to come back. Garmin not uploading so need to go and figure that out.
    7.37 miles @ 7:14 pace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Didn't take you long to get back on the horse! I presume the fast session tonight is an excuse in case of a slow race tomorrow night?;)

Advertisement