Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    20 miles in 7:35...and never having gone beyond 17 miles before.....and doing some good hills....and logging in more mileage than you've logged in 28 years.....AND breaking Lent the night before!!?? Wow. I say breaking Lent looks good on you. Nice run. Seriously nice run. :)

(dpop...this smacks of Beezlebub's reign, Year One.)

Nice running yourself y'day - I like your summary of my run, maybe I need to work on netting it out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice one BB. Hope you saved a Dunkel and a slice of pavlova for this evening. No 20+ mile run should go unpunished!

A no watch recovery run, 5 miles at about 8:30 pace. Body feels surprisingly ok, just the calves a little tight so popped on the compression socks afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Good for you BB, on the gamble run, and on the two fingers to piety.

How's your mile legs these days? Tempted?

Good for you BB, on the gamble run, and on the two fingers to piety.

How's your mile legs these days? Tempted?

I'm being very disciplined, only 1 race so far this year versus 34 last year - think I have mile repeats on Friday.

• Advertisement

Solid progression run this evening, plan was 2 x 7:50, 2 x 7:20, 2 x 6:50, 2 x 6:20 followed by a 1 mile warm down, actual:
    1. (7:43 - 7:38)
    2. (7:18 - 7:13)
    3. (6:49 - 6:48)
    4. (6:14 - 6:14)
    This was very relaxed and in control and had more difficulty in trying to contain the pace rather than feeling stretched to attain it.
    Total 9 miles in 1:03:40 (7:04 pace - Avg HR 147)
    Finished up and high tailed it to the F4L mile to help out, good to see a few boardies there and a great run by Krusty to knock out a 70 sec last lap for 4:57.

Mid Week Aerobic:
    Nice MSR straight after work, headed out the back roads towards Miltown and on into Ashford before turning down to Hunter's Hotel and into Rathnew, the relative quite of the previous 6 miles left behind now as I entered rush hour traffic, but only for a few miles as I turned off towards the Murrough as darkness fell. About 3 miles in duskness (new word alert) letting the eyes adjust, before getting back to the port relief road and back home for 13.3 miles in 1:38 (7:23 pace).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Mid Week Aerobic:
    Nice MSR straight after work, headed out the back roads towards Miltown and on into Ashford before turning down to Hunter's Hotel and into Rathnew, the relative quite of the previous 6 miles left behind now as I entered rush hour traffic, but only for a few miles as I turned off towards the Murrough as darkness fell. About 3 miles in duskness (new word alert) letting the eyes adjust, before getting back to the port relief road and back home for 13.3 miles in 1:38 (7:23 pace).

Lovin' the duskiness.....and you are flying! Really. When is your next race, and what is it?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Lovin' the duskiness.....and you are flying! Really. When is your next race, and what is it?

My 1, 2 skip a few 99, 100 plan is aimed at getting me in the best shape I can possibly be in, in the limited time I have between now and Rotterdam (Apr 15). I'm normally a serial racer, but I'm just focused on the key sessions that I can squeeze in between now and then. The only only race I'll consider would be the county 5k road race champs on Apr 4th and even at that I may just run that at 10k pace.

Follow up Physio session this evening, had dry needling to loosen out my left quad and the glute for old times sake. Quite a bit of back manipulation and some pressure treatment to loosen out some knots. The quad is always painful after the needling, but the increased flexibility is noticeable immediately, however it meant that running straight after wasn't going to happen.
    Came home had something to eat, a couple of Ibu and then jumped on the treadie for 4 recovery miles in 34 mins, quad loosened after the 1st mile, so happy I got it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The only only race I'll consider would be the county 5k road race champs on Apr 4th and even at that I may just run that at 10k pace.

I'm considering giving that an auld go also but @ 5k pace:). Whats the route?
    What your MP for Rotterdam or is it TBA?

Abhainn wrote: »
    I'm considering giving that an auld go also but @ 5k pace:). Whats the route?
    What your MP for Rotterdam or is it TBA?

Route last year was 3.5 laps at the college in Kilcoole - believe it's the same this year.

TBD really, all going well and seeing as you lot seem to run 26.6 mile marathons it would have to be 6:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Route last year was 3.5 laps at the college in Kilcoole - believe it's the same this year.

TBD really, all going well and seeing as you lot seem to run 26.6 mile marathons it would have to be 6:45.

Fcuking hate laps

:D Smart arse. I always thought a 06:51 was sufficient

Abhainn wrote: »
    Fcuking hate laps

Last year's route: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79033408

Hit a damp Shanganagh to put the body through another test - it hadn't been faster than 6min pace in nearly 10 weeks. Quad was still tender from the treatment yesterday so threw on my CWX compression shorts for extra protection and was mindful of the slippery conditions.
    1.3 mile warm up, followed by some strides and drills; a reverse pyramid was on the cards for this evening: 3 x 1M (5:58/5:58/5:59) with 2 min rec; 2 x 0.5M (2:50/2:49) with 2 min rec and 1 x 0.25M (1:17).
    Found I had to work to hit the times on the miles, but I think with the damp conditions there could be a couple of secs grace on each mile, the shorter distances were fine and in control. Quad was fine, gave it a stretch afterwards.
    8 miles in total.

Easy recovery run, legs a little stiff from last night, but eased out after a while. Found a pair of NB 849's in the back of wardrobe, supportive cushioning it says on the tin, shin was sore after 3 miles, knee was sore after 6 miles - back into the wardrobe they'll go for now!
    7.75 miles @ 7.55 pace.
    A happy wet and soggy Paddy's Day to all, now some non alco beer :( and some rugby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

E
    Hit a damp Shanganagh to put the body through another test - it hadn't been faster than 6min pace in nearly 10 weeks. Quad was still tender from the treatment yesterday so threw on my CWX compression shorts for extra protection and was mindful of the slippery conditions.
    1.3 mile warm up, followed by some strides and drills; a reverse pyramid was on the cards for this evening: 3 x 1M (5:58/5:58/5:59) with 2 min rec; 2 x 0.5M (2:50/2:49) with 2 min rec and 1 x 0.25M (1:17).
    Found I had to work to hit the times on the miles, but I think with the damp conditions there could be a couple of secs grace on each mile, the shorter distances were fine and in control. Quad was fine, gave it a stretch afterwards.
    8 miles in total.

Very nice session! Nice and even splits.

tisnotover wrote: »
    E

Very nice session! Nice and even splits.

Thanks body is creaking a little, but not long before I have to taper.

Good luck in Mallow - what time are you shooting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Thanks body is creaking a little, but not long before I have to taper.

Good luck in Mallow - what time are you shooting for?

improve on ballycotton, all going right a low 63 hopefully.

Knew before heading out this morning that I wasn't going to run 22miles, yesterday my quad was still tight and I generally felt shattered and even after 9hrs in the sack I didn't feel much better this morning. Looking back I had just done 31 consecutive days and 252 miles since the injuries, trying to double tap my training by adding both speed and distance each week, the < 6min pace session on Friday I think is a step too far for this body just yet, so some readjustment to the plan coming up.
    I have a nice rolling 8.6 mile lap that I planned to run, so that gave me an option to bail early if needed. The first 4+ miles were tough into a stiff breeze and I ran about 5 secs slower per mile than my planned 7:40 pace, at about 5 miles my quad and groin area were giving out. I considered stopping at the end of the lap, but stopped and stretched instead and headed off on another lap, keeping the pace consistent again.
    Was happy to get through 17.26 miles @ 7:40 pace although quite tight afterwards, so rolling and core work will get prioritized this week - 3 months ago I would have ignored the body and been a slave to the schedule. I'll readjust the pace workouts next week and maybe tag +1 to mile 20 mile run.

WTD: 64.3M (103.5k)
    MTD: 169.4M (272.5k)
    YTD: 385.7M (620.6k)

• Advertisement

Just a recovery run before lunch, headed from the house to the nearby GAA pitch in Rathnew which is just over 1 mile away, where I ran about 10 laps, followed by a stretching session, before returning home.
    5.23 miles @ 8:05 pace; Avg HR - 141; TE 2.8

Shanganagh after work for another progression run
    Plan: 2 x 7:45 / 2 x 7:15 / 2 x 6:45 / 2 x 6:15
    Actual: (7:46 / 7:43) (7:15 / 7:13) (6:45 / 6:46) (6:16 / 6:13)
    Found this tougher than last week and my HR on the threshold bit was higher by 3 beats per split, feeling a bit fatigued from the increase in mileage, but a solid workout to get under the belt. Finished with a 1.15 mile easy warm down.
    9.15 Miles
    1:05:35
    7:10 Pace
    148 Avg HR
    4.3 TE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Shanganagh after work for another progression run
    Plan: 2 x 7:45 / 2 x 7:15 / 2 x 6:45 / 2 x 6:15
    Actual: (7:46 / 7:43) (7:15 / 7:13) (6:45 / 6:46) (6:16 / 6:13)
    Found this tougher than last week and my HR on the threshold bit was higher by 3 beats per split, feeling a bit fatigued from the increase in mileage, but a solid workout to get under the belt. Finished with a 1.15 mile easy warm down.
    9.15 Miles
    1:05:35
    7:10 Pace
    148 Avg HR
    4.3 TE

Nice running, seem to be going very well now, Think its supposed to be hard at this point in a marathon plan, what sort of taper will you do?

I'll have done 3 consecutive 65 mileish weeks by the end of this week, I need to travel to India next week, so I'm being forced into a 3 week taper, mileage will drop to 50, will try and maintain some quality more than likely on the hotel treadie. Probably 40 the week after and 25-30 the 6 days before the Marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'll have done 3 consecutive 65 mileish weeks by the end of this week, I need to travel to India next week, so I'm being forced into a 3 week taper, mileage will drop to 50, will try and maintain some quality more than likely on the hotel treadie. Probably 40 the week after and 25-30 the 6 days before the Marathon.

I know that feeling been sent to Germany myself next week, but should be able to run as normal (if the odd 6am run is normal).

Back to Shanganagh this evening after work for a medium long run, had company for the first 7 miles and we ticked the miles off at 7:20's, I continued at this pace for another 3 miles, before putting a lid on it and finishing with a couple of recovery miles. Wore the Mana's again, seriously considering these for the marathon. Felt the bounce coming back into my step tonight after several low days - one of those runs to bottle.
    12.1 Miles @ 7:27 pace; Avg HR - 147; TE - 4

Tougher than it should have felt this evening, the plan was for 2 x 2M @ threshold, 1.3ish miles of a warm up, managed 12:30 for the first, 2:30 recovery followed and then 12:31 for the 2nd. Had to work for it though, felt more like 10k pace, but it is coming towards the end of a solid block of training. Met Emer911 at one stage who said was flying it, felt like I was dying it. Met up with the club to do a slow warm down.
    7.65 miles @ 7:31 pace; Avg HR 141; TE 3.7

A welcome and needed recovery run this evening, jumped off at Greystones Rugby Club on the way home for just North of 4 miles @ 8:13 pace.
    Always find these runs one of the hardest in the schedule.

20 Miles with 2 x 5 @ PMP
    With my work enforced taper starting from Monday this was the last of the big sessions and one I felt I needed to get right, if only for a confidence boost.
    Set the alarm for 6am and got up for a bowl of strawberry granola, 2 slices of brown bread and a coffee, then grabbed a pint of water and headed back to bed for an hour to watch Ireland bowl Namibia out for 94 in the T20 qualifier.
    Drove up to Ashford and parked the car where it would be easy to grab some water and a gel.
    So headed off on my 5.4 mile lap at an easy pace, came past the car at about 7:40 pace and grabbed a water and a gel, consumed those and hit the lap button for my first 5 Mile PMP block, got into this pretty quickly and it felt a lot easier than a few weeks earlier and it was a fantastic morning which always helps, the miles ticked off as I tried to keep the effort steady and let the lay of the land dictate pace [6:47-6:42-6:45-6:52-6:48] for 6:47 on average. Ended up back at the car where I had arranged to meet a clubie to help me through the 2nd half, another quick water and a gel and we were off, the plan was to have a 20min recovery before hitting the 2nd block which is a bit more undulating as we were now on the longer 8.6 Mile loop. The 20 mins went quickly [2.6miles @ 7:30] and I was off again and great to have some company to take my mind off things. This 5 mile block has a couple of handy miles and then a bit of work in the final 3 [6:41-6:47-6:52-6:49-6:53] for 6:48 on average and glad to have that done. Finished with the required 1.66 Miles to bring up 20.
    20 Miles @ 7:15 pace / Avg HR 152 / TE 5??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

nice going beep beep, good even splits.

Advertisement