Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done! That run should have brought you loads of confidence! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

That's a great confidence booster, delighted for you, setting yourself up nicely for a good track season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A thing of beauty Dom. Perfect timing for a solid result too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Grabbed my camera this morning to take some pix of the Wicklow HM - what a beautiful day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominic67/sets/72157629662968185/
    Then threw on the the Response Cushions and went for a gentle trot from the house down the Murrough and back, body surprisingly ok after yesterday, calves a little tight and quad still letting me know it's not quite 100%, Dr Foam Roller awaits this evening.
    7.47 miles @ 7:42 pace

Totals update - had to run to a birthday party earlier.

WTD: 65.8M (105.8k)
    MTD: 235.1M (378.3k)
    YTD: 451.5M (726.4k)

Highest 4 week average ever I would say, 63.2 (101.6k), only 9 miles off my highest monthly mileage (with 6 days to go) and weight down to 72.8kg (lowest in 15 years).
    39 consecutive days - 335 miles - daily average 8.6 - Rest Day tomorrow if you count 19 hrs door to door travel as rest :D

• Advertisement

Felt reasonably ok after hitting the hotel on schedule 19hrs after leaving this morning. So at 5am local time, 12:30 am back home I threw the gear on and hit the treadie for an easy 5 miler in 40 mins. Nite Nite

Nite, nite. ;)

Work, Eat, Sleep is the mantra this week, squeezed in a short progression run on the hotel treadie this morning @ 1% incline:
    • 2k @ 5:00
    • 2k @ 4:40
    • 2k @ 4:20
    • 2k @ 4:00
    • 1k @ 3:40
    • 1k @ 5:00
    Felt like a good workout and got the HR moving in the right direction.

PM: Got back to the hotel at a reasonable time, 11pm so hit the treadie for a 4 mile recovery run - body feels great, bit of unplanned carbo loading this week :o

Easy recovery run on the treadie 10k @ 4:50 pace - glad that's my last hotel treadmill run.

• Advertisement

So due to my connections with Hyderabad I've been engaging online with the local Hyderabad Runners group. So this isn't a club as we would know it back in Ireland, but more a bunch of like minded individuals with running in common. They meet several times per week and I see organized sessions ranging from hill workouts at Whisper Valley to 32k runs at the weekend. Most of the group have already completed a marathon or have ambitions in doing so in the near future.
    This group also sold out their first marathon last August with 1200 runners competing in the first Hyderabad Marathon - how cool is that? There are plans underway to exceed that number this year.
    So when Rajesh heard I was in Hyderabad he organised a group to get together for an early morning run at KBR Park an oasis in the middle of a chaotic city, how could I resist, even if it meant getting up at 5am after 4hrs sleep :eek:, but boy was it worth it!
    A nicer bunch of people you could not wish to meet and as I was 'runner of the week' :cool: I received an introduction, got to lead the group out and took them through their post run stretching and to top it all was presented with my very own Hyderabad Runners T Shirt - pics to follow.
    The run itself was a nice gentle affair as we looped around a few of the internal tracks dodging all the folks out for their early morning stroll - think Grafton Street on a Saturday afternoon and 30 mins later we were done - just what the body needed as I enter my taper.
    Thanks Hyderabad Runners I'll be back!
    563892_3342497215572_1662987617_2664845_1087544999_n.jpg

Got back to the house 41hrs after getting out of bed - yes I've been up since and including yesterday's post, give or take a few power naps on the flight segments. Toyed with the idea of getting in my planned 6 miles, but in my fatigued state felt it could do more harm than good. An hours kip and steak on the grill as I type is the sensible option - 16M tomorrow.

What a cool story about your new running mates! Wow. And runner of the week....what an honor! ;) Love it. Can't wait for more pics. :D

T minus 2 weeks <GULP>

Last of the biggies, I got a great nights sleep of about 9 uninterrupted hours, but still felt goosed after the last 2 days and took a bit of time to get myself out the door as 9am eventually became 10:30. Parked the car up from Hunter's hotel and headed off on my 5.38 mile lap, it felt easy running between 7:30 and 7:40 pace as it should and soon I was coming back to life. Came passed the car and continued on until the watch turned 45 mins [5.93 miles @ 7:36] and was off on 4 miles at PMP, bit of a breeze to contend with on the first 2 miles, but I decided this week to go with pace rather than effort and the pace felt grand, it probably should have after the carbs I had last week and almost 2 full days rest. Came through the 4 miles @ 6:45 pace couple of seconds too fast [6:45, 6:45, 6:45, 6:43], but I felt fairly comfortable. Eased back to 7:30 pace for 10 mins and went again from the same spot, took a bit longer to get going but soon got back in the groove again for another 4 miles @ 6:45 pace [6:46, 6:44, 6:46, 6:43] before completing the lap @ 7:20 pace to round off 16.1 miles @ 7:09 pace.
    The only other thing I'll add to this is that I ran this one without gels or water as I wanted to get the body under a bit stress - the stress never came.
    Mileage a bit lighter than planned, so will keep it flat next week.

WTD: 40.9M (65.8k)
    MTD (March): 259.9M (418.1k)
    YTD: 492.3M (792.2k)

I'm curious, with no water or gels, what was the temp/weather like when you were running?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm curious, with no water or gels, what was the temp/weather like when you were running?

Yep, as I'm light on long runs I wanted one more where the body could attack itself a little. It was a beautiful morning for running here on the East Coast, 12 degrees C, sunny with a light breeze, would sell a kidney for that in Rotterdam, but expect it to be closer to 20.

Mon:
    Just a recovery run in Shanganagh on the way home followed by some stretching, added 6 x 30 secs from midway.

Tue:
    Had 3M in the schedule, but with the weather out there didn't see the point in getting changed to get hail stoned on, day off will do no harm.

Wed:
    Wicklow 5k Road Championships
    Normally this is one of my target races, but the plan tonight was just to get a decent workout and not jeopardize the Marathon, plus I would not have run this quick since the injury. A good splattering of Boardies were about, Pronator and Abhainn plus others, Pre was there all wrapped up in layers and double quilted jackets (has he gone soft :p).
    Conditions were less than ideal on an out and back undulating course with a swirling breeze mainly against on the return. I lined up a few rows back in the 100+ field and eased myself into the race letting my usual cohorts stride ahead. The 1st is marginally uphill and I clock 3:42 sitting in with a little group having a chat and slagging one of the Kilcoole lads as the cheers go up from his rent a mob. Pace felt really comfortable on the toughest k of the race which was predominantly uphill and when I looked down and seen 4:00 lap pace it was time to giddy up and leave my comfort zone group, dragged that k back to average 3:54 pace and just focused on running tall and in control as I started passing my way through some bodies for 3:47. Not happy with the average pace at this stage I decided to stretch it out for a 3:30 for the 4th again this had a nice downhill stretch although against the wind. And then opened the hips for the final k, but again concentrating on form to finish with a 3:20.
    It's a great way to run a race, no pressure and having loads in the tank at the end, if I add some quality after all this Marathon lark there could be some PB's up for grabs in the summer.

5k in 18:13 (5:53 per mile pace, target 5:55).
    3rd M45 (my 1st over 45 race ha)
    2nd team

Total miles - 7.6

Nicely done, Beepbeep. What team won?
    I see your Training Effect seems to be working better too.

What team won?

Controversy, Roundwood 1st, Bray 2nd, Parnell 3rd, Kilcoole had a large contingent and should have placed but apparently neglected to enter a team sheet. Mick Kavanagh won, Pronator was 2nd and Richard Hourihan was 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Controversy, Roundwood 1st, Bray 2nd, Parnell 3rd, Kilcoole had a large contingent and should have placed but apparently neglected to enter a team sheet. Mick Kavanagh won, Pronator was 2nd and Richard Hourihan was 3rd.

Well done tonight. You looked very fresh and strong. #
    Correction to the above, I was 3rd :)

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well done tonight. You looked very fresh and strong. #
    Correction to the above, I was 3rd :)

Oopsie ;)

Nice run for an easy taper 5k. ;) Looks like you are right on target to have a great marathon!!! And top podium finish in your age to boot! Just a little icing on the cake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It's a great way to run a race, no pressure and having loads in the tank at the end, if I add some quality after all this Marathon lark there could be some PB's up for grabs in the summer.

Well done on a comfortable 5K, not bad going for your age, you have beaten me to the big 45 by a few weeks too. Enjoy the taper.

Just a slow recovery trot around Shanganagh with the club this evening, nice to run and chat and catch up with everyone's training. 6.54 miles @ 8:13 pace.

Q/Q I have 13 with 3 x 1 @ tempo pace this weekend - what's preferable 8 days out or 7 days out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice going in the 5k, a good time for an old fella ;)

i'd say 8 days out for your Q, but there's more experienced here that could give you a better answer? Would you knock it back to 10miles maybe?

Hazy, Lazy & Eazy

Straight out of bed and up to the local GAA pitch for an easy trot on grass in fantastic early morning hazy sunshine - does the soul good.
    5k @ 4:44 pace

Q/Q I have 13 with 3 x 1 @ tempo pace this weekend - what's preferable 8 days out or 7 days out?

8 days if you can

Then all easy runs thereafter (max 6-7 miles) but on alternate days incorportate 4 x 100 strides / pick ups to keep leg turnover in good nick

Abhainn wrote: »
    8 days if you can

Then all easy runs thereafter (max 6-7 miles) but on alternate days incorportate 4 x 100 strides / pick ups to keep leg turnover in good nick

No PMP miles in the last week?

My programs usually have a 6-7 mile run, including 2 miles @pmp, 4 or 5 days out from the race. It's kind of like Abhainn's 100m strides, it's purpose is just to keep the legs in good nick, and also to give you a bit of a mental lift (the two miles should feel easy).

If you've got niggles, or have recently done a pmp session, then they serve little purpose/should be avoided.

• Advertisement

If you've got niggles, or have recently done a pmp session, then they serve little purpose/should be avoided.

Yes you got it in one there. You'll have 3 x 1 done today and that should be sufficient

Advertisement