Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Hard luck BB, nothing you can do about that, you dropped out at the exact same spot i did in 2010 looking at your garmin, the hairpin bend just back in town.

I say forget marathons for this spring and focus on the track/shorter road races etc. The strength will stand to you. You can think about another one then in late summer/autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sorry to hear about the problem but your in fine shape for some fast times this summer. On the plus side your recovery time is going to be really quick after the marathon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks All - will wait several days before making my mind up.

My daughter was starting swimming lessons with the school this morning so went down to get her sorted and then treated myself to a nice 6 mile trot along the Murrough, body feels fine, quads loosing, pain in the foot is still there, but not so much when I run.
    6 miles @ 7:30 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Thanks All - will wait several days before making my mind up.

My daughter was starting swimming lessons with the school this morning so went down to get her sorted and then treated myself to a nice 6 mile trot along the Murrough, body feels fine, quads loosing, pain in the foot is still there, but not so much when I run.
    6 miles @ 7:30 pace

6 miles not even 48 hours after your race? Body is fine? Tsk, tsk. Sounds like you need to skip on over to my thread cuz there's a recovery intervention gig goin' on and I hate to party alone. Just sayin'..... ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    6 miles not even 48 hours after your race? Body is fine? Tsk, tsk. Sounds like you need to skip on over to my thread cuz there's a recovery intervention gig goin' on and I hate to party alone. Just sayin'..... ;)

There could be a book in it - 'the alternative reverse taper by double D and double B'

• Advertisement

There could be a book in it - 'the alternative reverse taper by double D and double B'

I like the way you think, double B! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day. Wise decision, tummy troubles like that would have killed you late on. You still have a chance of running another marathon soon if you want to.

Kildare is in 4 weeks, if I were you I'd run it and get the sub 3 monkey off your back. Looking at your splits you should have no bother. I might have a free entry going if you're interested :)

PM: Foam Roller lovin', gave the quads a good seeing to and the calves got a little look in - a beautiful kind of pain!

In other news the parts arrived for my treadie - so it's back up and running thanks to the nice folks in Horizon - only took me about 30mins.
    Had a little time on my hands so 'pimped my treadie' with some Logitech speakers and angle brackets.

7088101031_2624cc5991_z.jpg

Handy hour over in Shanganagh after work, body generally coming back to life, foot is still a little concerning, quite sore first thing in the morning and getting up after sitting down for a while. Can vaguely remember going over on it on Sunday at one stage trying to avoid someone. Ice massage now and some Ibu.
    8 miles @ 7:29 pace

Decided to hook with the club this evening and join in with whatever they were doing, it transpired they were doing 6 x 500 on the 3k course for next week's F4L race I done these as strides at just under 6min pace, nice to stretch the legs a bit. Just over 6 miles in total.

• Advertisement

Just a recovery trot on the treadie, 4 miles at 7:55 pace. First spin on the treadie since the new rear roller - feels brandty new!

Short on time this morning so decided to stick in something steady, picked a nice lumpy 7.5M route from the house and headed out the door in breezy but sunny conditions. Was soon clipping along nicely in my new Adizero Tempos and everything teed up as I felt the bounce coming back into the legs for the first time since last week. I wasn't clock watching but the splits were popping up either side of 7min pace depending on the elevation gain/loss. Finished with a nice climb back to the house maintaining the effort to finish in 51:40 - 6:53 pace.
    Now the BeepBeep Saturday Taxi service starts.

Woke up limping this morning so Ibu was added as a side to the porridge. Watched the start of the Marathon and left as the men approached the 5 mile mark the pace for my 13.5 mile decided by the fact I wanted to see the end of the race - so once they didn't break 2hrs I should be ok. Stuck on the cans anyway and listened to the coverage on 5Live. Foot was sore but runable for the majority of this, but noticeably more painful in the last few miles - I'm typing this with my foot in ice, some slight swelling on the outside of the foot.
    13.5 miles @ 7:21 pace AvHr 148 - happy with that shows I've recovered, just need to watch the foot.
    45 for the week.

Foot very sore yesterday so gave it a day off, much better today but decided an extra non running day wouldn't do any harm so dug out the bike, popped the tyres up to 120 psi and off I went on a 50k spin. Kept it in the big ring all around and only used about 4-5 gears - nice work out and felt a little tired hitting the climb back to my house.
    50.4k in 1hr40 @ 30kmph

Foot still on the sore side, but much improved after not running on it for 2 days.
    So just done 4 easy miles on the treadie - 7:53 pace, a bit more ice massage now.

Do you ever ride a bike? Or do you have a trainer/turbo? Could be nice to give your foot a break while still doing something.

Do you ever ride a bike? Or do you have a trainer/turbo? Could be nice to give your foot a break while still doing something.

^^ see 2 posts up ;)
    Hoping to run the F4L race tomorrow - so tonight as just a tester

^^ see 2 posts up ;)
    Hoping to run the F4L race tomorrow - so tonight as just a tester

:o Oops!! And WOW! You're quite the Lance Armstrong! Good for you!!

(in my defense....the bike post was on the bottom of the page...and you just started a new page....yada, yada... ;))

:o Oops!! And WOW! You're quite the Lance Armstrong! Good for you!!

More like Louis Armstrong the way I was blowing at the end :pac:

Fit4Life Round 4 - 3k

Was in 2 minds about this one and really didn't know how it would go, I haven't done any speed work in such a long time apart from some strides at the end of runs. I love running 3k though, it was my distance as a juv and I have a cinder PB of 9:09, it's a good honest distance on the red line all the way, one of those short enough but long enough races. In mind I would have been happy with sub 10:30, my masters PB is 10:14, but going through the warm up I decided to just race this one, get out hard as there was a narrow section after about 350 mts and then just race it.
    So I got the start I wanted hit the gap in the about 4th or 5th place, but probably ran the 1st k a little hard with a 3:17, I was in the red zone and blowing hard as Krusty came past, but I dug in and kept plugging away sitting in behind one of my M45 rivals who is speedy over the shorter stuff. Strangely disappointed to see 3:30 for this k, so I dropped the hammer off the bend and closed on Sean and then passed him with about 600 to go, but the legs were like jelly and although the mind was game the body was starting to shut down. Sean took me again with 300 to but I couldn't respond to his pace although I was getting faster and clocked 3:19 for the last k for 10:06 an 8 second masters PB :D.
    3k's reach parts of the lungs training never gets near!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172019272

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great stuff well done, very nice time, especially as you haven't done any specific speed-work. sub-10 well within reach here.

You killed it!!!! Serious congratulations! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Nice time. I thought you have a 20 miler tomorrow?

A keep the options open run and a new experience for me knocking a 20 miler straight after work on a Friday as opposed to 1st thing in the morning and well rested.
    Ran this pretty empty which showed towards the end, but it was a tough course also which started which 2 laps of the Wicklow 5 mile course, which means going up the Marlton Rd twice which is a mile of pain. Headed on out past Ashford for the 2nd half and from about 16 miles the tank was starting to empty, so I eased off and was rewarded with calf and toe cramps as hit my last uphills section - oh the joy :rolleyes:
    Ah sure it's done now, protein shake consumed, dinner about to be served once I get out of my epsom salts bath.
    20.1 miles in 2:28:57 - 7:25 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running. Obviously shaping up for another crack at a marathon very soon?

Will you run on Sunday? I'll put aside a lucky no. for you. :)

A keep the options open run and a new experience for me knocking a 20 miler straight after work on a Friday as opposed to 1st thing in the morning and well rested.
    Ran this pretty empty which showed towards the end, but it was a tough course also which started which 2 laps of the Wicklow 5 mile course, which means going up the Marlton Rd twice which is a mile of pain. Headed on out past Ashford for the 2nd half and from about 16 miles the tank was starting to empty, so I eased off and was rewarded with calf and toe cramps as hit my last uphills section - oh the joy :rolleyes:
    Ah sure it's done now, protein shake consumed, dinner about to be served once I get out of my epsom salts bath.
    20.1 miles in 2:28:57 - 7:25 pace

Wow, all in one sentence!! ;)

And...are you in the tub typing this?? :D

(nice run!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Past my house twice inside an hour and never even called in - bloody useless. :D
    Yes that hill is a bloody killer. That 20 miler would equate to a flat 22 any day. Well done man
    I'm going for an easy 40-50k bike early in the morning if you are up for it. Great for recovery:)

Wow, all in one sentence!! ;)

You witch! ;) must have been the depleted serotonin levels :)

Great running. Obviously shaping up for another crack at a marathon very soon?

Will you run on Sunday? I'll put aside a lucky no. for you. :)

Not sure I'll make it down due to family commitments, might run something on my doorstep earlier in the day.

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Past my house twice inside an hour and never even called in - bloody useless. :D
    Yes that hill is a bloody killer. That 20 miler would equate to a flat 22 any day. Well done man
    I'm going for an easy 40-50k bike early in the morning if you are up for it. Great for recovery:)

How early?
    Nearly did pop in Fin was with me for the first half and brought the ginger bread man with him!

Advertisement