Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Marathons and I may not be just finished yet :rolleyes:

Wise and experienced easing up in the last 10k when you knew the goal couldn't be met. Mentally then you are strong from the event rather than the opposite if you had pushed for another few miles and crawled home.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

Delighted you put the disappointment of Rotterdam firmly behind you. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Marathons and I may not be just finished yet might even do an ultra :rolleyes:
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

@ Anto - anything to find suckers for next Feb - leave it with me ;)

Monday - day off
    Tuesday - a recovery run in my favorite shoes on my favorite surface. Body reasonably ok, groin is lingering, have a rub down planned for Friday AM to sort that out, sole of the left still sore, but both ok running at recovery pace. Quads a little noticeable running but ok otherwise, hitting the foam roller tonight.
    Missed a biblical hailstone shower by milliseconds.
    30 mins @ 8min pace.

Wed

Ha -
    The plan: Cycle to Carrick (about 10k), take pictures of the IMRA race and cycle home.
    The actual: Cycle 2 miles on my old mountain bike, get a puncture, no repair kit, run home (uphill) with the bike (the last 2 miles in Kildare were more enjoyable), hop in the car, hightail it to Carrick, plead with Kurt to let me double park in the already full car park, run to the start of the race, take pics, run up the trail take more pics, run back down to talk to Slogger, run back up the trail, take more pics, run back down the trail, catch the last few coming in, run back to the car to make sure I'm not delaying anyone, drive home <phew!>
    4.5 unplanned miles?

Thur
    Had a meeting near Clonskea so went on a trot around Belfield, taking a moment to bless myself at the track, ah happy memories never to be relived. On a positive note the compact path all around is fantastic.
    45 mins @ 8min Pace - 5.8 miles

• Advertisement

7:45 AM
    Good ol' physio session, body has recovered well.
    Some bruising has come out around the groin so I strained something deep in there.
    The feet are still a little sore so had some treatment on those and joint mobility, might need orthotics on the right hand side, but I'm on a routine for 2 weeks before going down that route.
    Quads and calves got a good going over and no more tender than would be expected.
    And some lower back work.
    All in all I'm in good shape, but will still stick to the ease back into it plan.

PM
    Just a 1hr loosener on the turbo, 15 min @ 87 cadence, 15 @ 91, 15 @ 96 and 15 @ 104 - average 95.

A weekend of debauchery, takeaways and alcohol awaits, I'll be back on the wagon on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A weekend of debauchery, takeaways and alcohol awaits, I'll be back on the wagon on Monday.
    Alcohol and debauchery. Now that's my kind of training log post.

A handy 5, threw a few quicker miles towards the end to check the bod, no drama Obama.
    5 miles @ 7:34 pace.

So 1 week on, the body is full of cr@p and beer, it was nice to have a chillaxed Sunday morning. Got up at my leisure after sleeping off last night's festivities, where Pronator got Athlete of the Year and Abhainn Master of the Year, had a full works breakfast (Eggs, Clonakilly black pudding, Dunnes sausages and bacon) before taking the kids to the skate park where I used the opportunity to catch up on some work.
    Back home for waffles and fruit salad before getting stuck into some DIY - oh yeah, I'm due to get out for a bit of run today! After feeling a bit envious watching the IMRA folk fly up and down 'my' hill last Wednesday evening I knew I had to get back for a trot. The trail was good so I took my original Tempos back out from retirement and hit the trail at an easy pace heading on a nice loop that contains about 5 miles of work (average 8:12 pace) before you get to claim your reward, where I let gravity take me back down in spits of 6:56, 6:56, 6:37 and 6:39 (0.25) pace to bring the average pace back to 7:39.

8.25 miles on Carrick

WTD: 27.3M (44.0k)
    MTD: 108.2M (174.1k)
    YTD: 772.3M (1242.6k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Gosh, sounds like you had two breakfasts today! And also sounds like you've got great gravity pull. Well, technically it's probably not "pull" that you've got, perhaps it's actually "push"...either way.....I'm trying to work on mine.

• Advertisement

Hit Shanganagh this evening and it was nice to feel some summer warmth coming back, always makes me feel better instantaneously.
    Starting easing the body back into some speed work, nothing too hectic, just starting to prepare for what lies ahead. Reckon my 5k pace is about 5:50 at the mo (might find out Thurs), so done 5 x 600 @ 5k pace with 300 recovery. This was out of laziness rather than design as one of the fields is 600, so 1 lap on (2:10), half lap recovery (1:30) meant little or no thinking, felt ok, always in control.

6.5 miles @ 7:22 pace.

Joined a WWR'er on a recce of leg 5 this evening, only need 2, 6 & 7 now to complete the set. Leg 5 is a nice leg once you settle into the painfest from mile 2 and dig in realizing this is how it's going to be for the next 4.3 miles. It's still pretty runable with the majority on open fire road and only 1 technical section shortly after the sleepers. The last 3 miles are red hot fast on a beautiful sandy / stony surface. Very little opportunity to go astray on this one and well done to Slogger whose Garmin course I followed knocking out a sub 60 for the 8.35 miles 2 years ago.

Planned recovery day today, but the weather was to nice to let it slide, so took the bike for an easy spin on a short loop that I have. Think I reached my protein quota for the day with the number of flies I swallowed :eek:

28k in 57mins @ 29.4 km/h

Oh god...flies?? I don't know how big your flies are, but I'm gagging and spitting when I swallow one of our little gnats....I can't even imagine what kind of involuntary reaction would occur if I swallowed a fly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Planned recovery day today, but the weather was to nice to let it slide, so took the bike for an easy spin on a short loop that I have. Think I reached my protein quota for the day with the number of flies I swallowed :eek:

28k in 57mins @ 29.4 km/h
    How do you go that fast? :confused:

How do you go that fast? :confused:

Using the right gears, having the right tyre pressure helps, but I don't think it's particularly fast until you're North of 20 mph in olde money. ..

Fit4Life - Round 5 - 5k
    Late call on whether I would run this one as the legs still feel a bit dead and I've done no 5k work in such a long time, plus I potentially had to run a long leg of the WWR on Saturday.
    Headed down and assisted with the set up, ran up to confirm the start and finish and the 1st k and then had to belt back down and nearly missed the start, opting to stay in my training shoes rather than flats as I ran out of time.
    Had in my head that I'm in about 18:20 shape and headed out at that pace settling into a group of 4 behind the 2 leaders, but I was working too hard for that pace and at the turn eased off as the plan wasn't to do any damage in this race, so let that group go and coasted home to finish in 18:45.
    It's a marker and one that I'll take 1min + off by the end of the summer.
    6.3 miles in total

Handy run on grass at lunchtime, no reaction from last nights race, the weather was glorious and the pace was decided on feel.
    Time to start building back up the mileage and layering in some faster stuff - me thinks.
    5 miles @ 7:15 pace

Saturday, out of bed at 6am to finalize the logistics for the club team in the WWR, left the house at 7 and headed to Oldbridge where I meet our leg 3 runner and return her to Lough Tay. Left early enough that I could get there and squeeze a run in. Ran back up the Wicklow Way and nipped into a woods on right. For a short while thought I had uncovered a little gem as I gently wound my way uphill breaking through freshly spun spider webs which glistened in the early morning sunlight as they traversed the narrow trail. But alas I was on a trail to nowhere as I u turned and headed back to way I came, running past my turn off point in hope more than expectation I dead ended even sooner. So back out onto the road I headed on up the WW to check out the course, bone dry and starting to heat up, even at 8am my thoughts were with the mad dogs and mountain men and women that would be making their way across Wicklow's finest hills from leg 5 on wards, before making my way back to the car.
    5.13 gentle miles.
    Followed the team around for the rest of the day keeping everyone informed and taking a few pix

Sunday, up early again, mini-marathon weekend next week so the prelim work is well under way - need to try and grab a siesta in the back garden later today.
    Got back home at 10:30 threw the gear on and went for hot trot, headed down towards the coast to make use of the gentle on shore breeze, nice easy pace and the first run that crept into double figures since the marathon.
    Started to heat up on my final 3k ascent back to house and was happy really to call it a day at 10.34 miles @ 7:34 pace.

With 3 weeks to go before a structured training plan begins I'm still in make it up as go mode. The plan only to incrementally add some mileage, plus some gentle sessions. Today was a gentle session, just enough to tax the system, but not enough to cause any post marathon issues. So 6 x 600 strides on grass it was, with 300 jog recovery, averaged 2:11. Felt like a bit of work, but was always in control and focused on form, these need to be 11 secs quicker when I'm back up to speed.
    6.22 miles @ 7:10 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

With 3 weeks to go before a structured training plan begins I'm still in make it up as go mode.
    Which marathon are you training for in the Autumn?

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Which marathon are you training for in the Autumn?

No marathon planned for this Autumn, will start an 8 week 10k plan in the middle of June, which will include some short track and road races. XC, Hills and strength until the end of the year and then me and Rotterdam have unfinished business.

No marathon planned for this Autumn, will start an 8 week 10k plan in the middle of June, which will include some short track and road races. XC, Hills and strength until the end of the year and then me and Rotterdam have unfinished business.

ah ok.. kicking off structured plan for repeat visit to Berlin the same week. Serious statement of intent - fair play:D Target time for Rotterdam?

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Target time for Rotterdam?

It starts with a 2 ;)

It starts with a 2 ;)
    I'm sure it does..:) I gotta find me another 3 mins to tick that box. I'll watch your training programme and beg/borrow/steal as required:cool:

Tuesday - one of those days to forget, out of the house time was 15hrs between regular work and MM work. Jumped into Lord Meath's and the plan was to run an easy hour in Kilruddery and the Little Sugarloaf. As soon as I started I didn't feel great, was sweating heavily and only running at 8min pace. Stopped shortly after 2 miles and started feeling dizzy and seeing black spots, so sat down by a tree for a while. Made a decision to turn around and walk back, not a good decision to continue into the woods with no phone. Felt ok after 5 mins of walking so slowly jogged back to the car.
    4.3 miles @ 8:15 pace
    Wednesday - Have a planned cycle mid-week while in recovery mode, thought about swapping for a run after yesterday, but stuck to the plan.
    Went on a 39k cycle from the house that had a few lumps and bumps in it around the back roads of Rathdrum, Ballinacor and Redcross. Tried to focus on cadence rather than speed.
    39k in 1hr20 @ 29.1km/h.

A bit scary about Tuesday's happenings, but I suppose you are back to feeling better based on your Wednesday's cycle.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    A bit scary about Tuesday's happenings, but I suppose you are back to feeling better based on your Wednesday's cycle.

temporary glitch I think, been burning the candle at both ends, RnR next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Lots of 2 mile races out in raheny this summer if your out that way.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Lots of 2 mile races out in raheny this summer if your out that way.

Was talking with Pat last night, have a few planned as part of my 10k training.

Advertisement