Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was talking with Pat last night, have a few planned as part of my 10k training.

Might see you at one or two if these later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Form Running
    Nice gentle session in Shanganagh this evening, the grass was beautiful after a little rain, lush and bouncy. Had an easy warm up and then 3 x 2k @ tempo + 5 secs, with 80-90secs recovery, just concentrating on form. Target was just shy of 8mins, actual was 7:56 - 7:58 - 7:55. It's not quite graceful yet and there's a bit of work to be done before the body feels in tune, but it's a step in the right direction. Finished with a warm down and some stretching.
    7.16 miles @ 7:09 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Form Running
    Nice gentle session in Shanganagh this evening, the grass was beautiful after a little rain, lush and bouncy. Had an easy warm up and then 3 x 2k @ tempo + 5 secs, with 80-90secs recovery, just concentrating on form. Target was just shy of 8mins, actual was 7:56 - 7:58 - 7:55. It's not quite graceful yet and there's a bit of work to be done before the body feels in tune, but it's a step in the right direction. Finished with a warm down and some stretching.
    7.16 miles @ 7:09 pace

thats a nice tempo session. Will you build it up to 4 or 5 x 2k, or just hold the pace and try and relax more into it?

tisnotover wrote: »
    thats a nice tempo session. Will you build it up to 4 or 5 x 2k, or just hold the pace and try and relax more into it?

Just making it up as I go along at the mo until I start 'training', will keep doing a combo of 5k and tempo pace.

Just an easy run from the house this evening, taking in Broadlough
    4835846086_b67176d7ff_z.jpg
    Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brencullen/4835846086/
    which was peaceful and serene, just me some flutterbys, buzzy bees and some herons. But it's a short lap and soon I was back on the uninspiring tarmac rolling back towards the house as commuters made their way home (sorry for hitting the lights at the pedestrian crossing red Mazda, but if you slowed down to let me cross I wouldn't have to)
    6.6 miles @ 7:41 pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Spectacular photo! And I assume flutterby = butterfly.....

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Spectacular photo! And I assume flutterby = butterfly.....

yep that's what my little princess used to call them

Done F|_| C |< ALL today and enjoyed it, plently of other stuff to keep me busy, enjoyed the break!

Wasn't feeling my running mojo last week I'll put it down to delayed post marathon tiredness, so decided to take a little running break, was pretty busy with the WMM and my PF is still pretty sore, ended up with 3 full days off from running and cycling, first time I've done that since I don't know when.
    Anyway had a little break down the country coming up and that would help catch up with resting and chilling.
    Tues
    Short on time as we needed to hit the road, so hopped out the door into the Irish Summer rain to squeeze in 40mins, body felt fresh and recovered and I whizzed around my 5.4 mile loop @ 7:17 pace.
    Weds
    The sun made an appearance in the afternoon, so the emergency running gear came out of the boot and I ran from Splashworld in Tramore back to the hotel. This was my first run using my PF strap which felt bulky putting it on and I was fully expecting to be stopping after a few miles to whip it off, but it's surprisingly comfortable and unnoticeable after a few mins - my first pain free run in about 4 months - woo hoo. Joined the Waterford Half route after about 1 mile and remembered pretty quickly why I like this route as you feel like you are heading 'down' to the track all the way - nice weather to boot.
    7.8 miles @ 7:16 pace.
    Thurs
    Out and about sight seeing and back to the hotel at teatime, so while the gang had showers and got organized I went on a little explore to get a few miles in, up to Ardkeen, down by the Regional Hospital, found a nice little section along by the King's Channel, but only lasted a mile. Heading on over to John's Hill and back into Ardkeen before heading back to the hotel.
    7.6 miles @ 7:16 pace.
    Fri
    Traveled back home and settled down to watch to Euros before the daggers came out and a few subtle hints about when was I planning in getting a run in. So I Macgyvered my laptop to the treadmill and killed 2 birds with the one stone.
    10k recovery run @ 4:54 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wasn't feeling my running mojo last week I'll put it down to delayed post marathon tiredness, so decided to take a little running break, was pretty busy with the WMM and my PF is still pretty sore,

You didn't happen to take a little running break in a building on Harcourt Street, around the 9k mark? That would explain the tiredness, and a lot more besides...

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You didn't happen to take a little running break in a building on Harcourt Street, around the 9k mark? That would explain the tiredness, and a lot more besides...

I'm a gentleman, I couldn't possibly comment!

Training has been sporadic to say the least over the last few weeks, but I think I needed the physical and mental break.
    Sunday met the club up in Djouce, the effort was low and the social enjoyment was high - 8 miles at 7:53 pace.
    Plan for this week is to build back in some regular runs and start an 8 week 10k training program next week.
    Started tonight with 4 x 1 mile - just to see where I was at, ran on feel with increasing effort with 2 min recoveries.
    Rep 1 - 5:55
    Rep 2 - 5:53
    Rep 3 - 5:48
    Rep 4 - 5:43
    This went better than I had expected and some residual fitness and speed still there, builds a bit of confidence before the real training starts.

I don't know about for you, but for me there seemed to be a delayed low point physically and mentally after the marathon. Didn't happen right away (except for the day after the marathon that brought a roller coaster of yucky emotions), but it hit me about a month or so after the marathon. I guess we all need breaks from that crazy training train to enjoy life and exhale.

Nice session you did tonight. And how exciting to be starting another training plan. Have you another big event in your sights?

Yep there was a bit of that alright, I don't think trying to roll over the training for another attempt was the best decision, but it's done now.
    I've entered the Streets of Galway 8k - Aug 11th and the Ballinamore Festival 10k on Aug 15th, will probably just use the 8k as a prep run though, but it will be the 1st time I've raced in the city I grew up in (start line is a couple of 100yds from where I used to live).

Yep there was a bit of that alright, I don't think trying to roll over the training for another attempt was the best decision, but it's done now.
    I've entered the Streets of Galway 8k - Aug 11th and the Ballinamore Festival 10k on Aug 15th, will probably just use the 8k as a prep run though, but it will be the 1st time I've raced in the city I grew up in (start line is a couple of 100yds from where I used to live).

That sounds really cool. Good for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Rep 1 - 5:55
    Rep 2 - 5:53
    Rep 3 - 5:48
    Rep 4 - 5:43

Nice session

Nice run from the house this evening in pleasant sunny conditions. PF was pretty sore for the 1st mile or so so had to stop to give it a stretch, loosened up though. Had 5Live on the cans listening to the 2nd half of Portugal and Denmark - nearly got the result I wanted :(. Headed on down for a loop along the Murrough before heading back.
    6.3 miles @ 7:25 pace

Fri - A rainy trot from the house after work, glad to get it under the belt - 7.55 Miles @ 7:39 pace

A Ropey 12 Miler:
    Well 8 weeks of 10k training starts today and 1st up was a 12 miler, have only gone into double figures once since the marathon 5 weeks ago so my endurance has started to ebb away and it needs to an important part of the program.
    Had some gear in the back of the car and took the opportunity in between showers to jump out of the car at Willow Grove on the way home, a quick change and I was on my way.
    Really wasn't feeling the love from step 1, the 1st 4 miles were sluggish and felt like my form was all over the shop as I ran through Newtown and on out towards the N11.
    Got a bit of a 2nd wind from there into Ashford, but as I reached the 1hr mark I was starting to feel a little fatigued.
    Jack Daniels says if you are feeling tired try running faster. In theory to play mind games with yourself and recruit some different muscle groups. In practice don't believe everything you read, I threw in a 7:14, but should have conserved energy for the 2 mile climb back to my house, which was a bit of a drag.
    Summary: It's a start, I've a lot of work to do, which also includes losing 3kg.
    12 miles @ 7:33 pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've entered the Streets of Galway 8k

you know I was going to post you a virtual nudge in the direction of SoG a few days ago. I can't remember why I didn't but the message obviously got through subliminally :) Great race. I think you'll really enjoy it.

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    you know I was going to post you a virtual nudge in the direction of SoG a few days ago. I can't remember why I didn't but the message obviously got through subliminally :) Great race. I think you'll really enjoy it.

It worked I'm really looking forward to it, booked a couple of nights over there.
    Any tips for the start believe it's a bit manic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It worked I'm really looking forward to it, booked a couple of nights over there.
    Any tips for the start believe it's a bit manic?

Manic indeed. It is really congested and hard to get moving at the start but then I'm usually towards the tail end anyway. I suppose getting as close to front as possible is your best bet but then you'll have a lot of other people thinking the same thing :rolleyes: There are a lot of right angles over the first 2-3 k so you really don't get into your stride til after that. I think the lack of hills makes up for the slow start and if you're lucky you'll have the wind at your back from Salthill back in to the Claddagh for the last 2k :)
    I had no intention of signing up for it this year until I started typing this post!

Carrick Mountain & Barefoot Strides
    Hills are an important part of any distance runners training and though I won't be doing any formal hill seesions in this block of training, I will make sure I run hilly at least once per week.
    Headed up to Carrick and went off piste to explore beyond my normal routes was a bit of fun not knowing what's around the corner. Ended up in a dead end at one stage and some technical single track stuff which included some tree hurdling and even a few miles on road when the woods ended before I did.
    Done some barefoot strides and barefoot backwards running on the Glenealy hurling pitch to finish off - should benefit my recovering plantar facia.
    9 miles in Total @ 7:53 pace
    Highest weekly mileage since the end of March :eek:

WTD: 75.1 [46.7]
    MTD: 142.2 [88.4]
    YTD: 1480.2 [920.0]
    Races YTD: 7 [2 x Master's PB's]

Progression Run
    This is actually one of my favorite sessions (when I'm fit) and you progress up to the 1-3-3-3-1 version it's a great confidence boost, but I'm a good bit off that just yet.
    The plan tonight was the 1-2-2-2-1 version, which is supposed to translate into 1 x 7:45 - 2 x 7:15 - 2 x 6:45 - 2 x 6:15 - 1 x 7:45.
    The 1st mile felt a bit of a struggle, but once I started speeding up I found my rhythm, was working a bit harder than I should have on the 6:15's but that's just where I am.
    Actual: 7:41 - 7:09, 7:11 - 6:44, 6:41, 6:15, 6:12, 7:48. First time with the HRM back on, time to get serious.
    8 miles @ 6:58 pace

Double Trouble
    AM: Travelling to the UK today, so out of the scratcher early doors for a gentle recovery run on a bright sunny morning, trotted up to the local GAA pitch for N laps and then back home.
    4.23 miles @ 7:56 pace
    PM: A nice run around Bray - Seriously!
    So rocked up to the Oakley Court Hotel in Windsor close to the town of Bray and famed for it's inclusion in several Hammer House of Horrors episodes! Checked in shortly after 9 to be told that last entry into the Gym was 9 :mad:, so plan A was out the window as I wanted to bank a run in the back pocket as a contingency.
    But got to the room, threw on the gear and headed out in fading light.
    On the main road for about 1 mile I come across a road called Monkey Island Lane - how could I resist!
    What a little treat, soon after the houses disappeared and I was running on single track trail sharing my Doryesque run with rabbits and other rustlings. This was short lived as I exited close to the motorway but ran along a footpath over the Thames and along a grassy path with Bray Marina on the opposite bank, eventually looped back onto Monkey Island Lane and back to the hotel for 4.5 miles @ 7:38 pace.

Towpaths & Strides
    Long day at the office and back to the hotel at 8pm.
    Got the gear on before my body would cop onto what was going on and headed out the door in the same general direction as last night but wanted to get a longer run in.
    When I reached the other side of the river at 2 miles I headed in the opposite direction and quickly came across the Maidenhead Boundary Walk, which is apparently a 13 mile towpath along the Thames. Lovely little run as I went through Bray Lock and on out past Maidenhead rowing club where some single scullers were being put through their paces and oddly enough into Maidenhead itself. Over the main bridge and shortly seen a sign for 'Bray' and followed some nice narrow roads through suburbia, Bray village and eventually onto the main road back to the hotel - perfect distance at 7.6 miles. Finished off with a set of strides on the golf course to bring up 8 miles.
    8 miles @ 7:24 pace, rest day tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Windsor is a lovely spot, I ran that towpath a couple of times myself. Dare you to pee against Lizzie's gaff, for your rest day.

Day 7 - Recovery Run
    Had either a session or TT in the schedule for Saturday, so just stuck a short 5k recovery run on the treadie. 5k @ 5min pace

Day 8 - 5k TT
    Remembered that I had a free entry to the Wicklow Sailfest 5k, so decided to use that for my session. Got a lift down to the race with a clubie and brought my backpack so I could run home.
    Stuck the X-233's on straight out of the box - sure why not and got a 2 mile warm up in with a good few strides. Soon we were off into the blustery conditions, great for sailing, not so good for running fast. My plan run 4k at 10k effort and then finish strong and that's pretty much how it went. Could've gotten into a battle for 3rd place with a few others at 3k, but kept my discipline and finished in 18:28, 17 seconds faster than 1 month ago and for less effort is a positive sign.
    Ran the 2.62 miles back up the house to finish off.
    7.94 miles @ 7:03 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

The streets course is fast beepbeep, would be a good one to race if possible.
    I used to spend my summers a couple of 100yds from the start in the grandparents house!

• Advertisement

A Lumpy 13 Miler

Been a while since I ran this loop from the house and as a hilly 13 was in the schedule today, this more than ticks all the boxes. It's firstly a nice run with the majority away from the main roads, so it's quite, serene and picturesque, secondly it's hilly, not hilly normal, but hilly as in every mile seems to have a testing climb in it - if it doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
    Felt fine during the run, pretty bouncy for the first 10 miles, hips were opened from the race yesterday, fatigued a little towards the end and could have done with a bit of water.
    13 miles @ 7:29 pace
    A good week overall, kept it together even though I was travelling and some decent quality in there.

WTD: 78.5 [48.8]
    MTD: 220.7 [137.1]
    YTD: 1558.7 [968.7]
    Races YTD: 8 [2 x Master's PB's]

Advertisement