Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

13 miles with no water? Can't even imagine that right now with our current weather (however, this morning is absolutely gorgeous - 75 degrees and delightful!). I would have been shriveled up in a heap yesterday without my cooler full of cold water. But, sounds like a great training run for you this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    13 miles with no water? Can't even imagine that right now with our current weather (however, this morning is absolutely gorgeous - 75 degrees and delightful!). I would have been shriveled up in a heap yesterday without my cooler full of cold water. But, sounds like a great training run for you this morning!!

It's just warm over here about 18/64 and a little humid, I think the dehydration was self induced :rolleyes:

Just ticking along
    10k training has stalled somewhat this week, more work travel to the UK made it difficult to maintain momentum, so I've just got to write off several days and hit the reset button. At least I've a clear view for the next month or so. May turn the training into HM training though with a 10k along the way.
    Mon: Long day in the office, felt wrecked by the time I got out and was a struggle to do the 4.8 miles that I eventually got through at 7:38 pace.
    Tue AM: Early morning treadmill session, started at 12 km/h and increased by 0.5 km/h every k up to 16 km/h for a total of 5 miles. PM: managed to squeeze in another run late in the day from the hotel up to Wokingham, up a few dead ends and eventually back to the hotel via a short trail for 5.11 miles @ 7:21 pace.
    Wed: Alarm went off at 6 and after a quick call of nature I was out on the road at 6:16. It was about 10 mins later after early getting knocked down by a car that I realized where I was. An out and back 4 miles @ 7:46 pace.
    Thu: Alarm went off at 6 after 5hrs sleep and despite getting up and putting the gear on I got back into bed as the rest seemed more valuable :o. Had a back of the mind thought that I might squeeze a run in later, but later was 19hrs later, after a few of these on draft in this fine establishment that was already tomorrow.
    Fri: Knew setting the alarm that this wasn't going to happen, but the incentive was that if I could run in the morning I would have to run when I got that evening - the result was a run at 9:30pm. Was really wrecked, but felt the body need some activity so just hit the local GAA for 12 zomibfied laps - 3.7 miles @ 8:06 pace.
    Sat: 9 uninterrupted hours sleep last night and I felt even more wrecked, but managed to get my head together enough to find the motivation to get out the door. Ran a total of 8.8 miles, with 4 miles focused on form running [average pace - 6:28] while increasing the pace marginally on each mile [6:35 - 6:32 - 6:22 - 6:15] for an average of 7:07 pace. Experienced sun, rain and wind - hello Summer!

More Miles

Nice morning on the east coast and a quick weather check showed it might be the best of the day. The kids wanted to head to the skate park in Arklow so I said I'd run down there to meet them.
    Nice run all in all said I'd keep the pace feeling easy as I'm building back the endurance, faced into a stiff breeze for most of the run, which kept me cool, but also had me working where I was exposed. A run along the coast sounds nice and flat, but there's plenty of drags and drops along the way to a total of 221 elevation gain. Stopped for a gel shortly after 9 and to water the flowers a bit after that. Really could have done with some water in the closing stages.
    14.78 miles @ 7:31 pace

WTD: 74.5 [46.3]
    MTD: 271.4 [168.7] - June
    YTD: 1,633.2 [1,015.0]
    Races YTD: 8 [2 x Master's PB's]

Recovery Miles

Just a good old fashioned recovery run in Shanganagh, weather was nice and mild. Quads are a bit on tight side so me and Dr Foam Roller are about to become reacquainted.
    Just over 6 miles @ 7:55 pace.

• Advertisement

McMillan Miles
    It's almost 9 months since I last set foot on a track in anger and that's way too long. Tonight the 10k training got real, on the track with nowhere to hide, with a misty drizzle and a cheeky breeze down the back straight to add some additional challenge into the mix.
    A few boardies kicking around doing 400's and a few guys at the sharp end of things, other than that it was relatively quite.
    Went on a bit of a warm up along the road, followed by a few laps of the track and some strides and drills, before getting stuck into 6 x 1mile @ target 10k pace off 3 min recoveries. The target, aggressive sub 37 min pace (5:57) which would relate to a 55 sec PB.
    Went off a little too hard and found it difficult to kept the pace in check, came back to bite me in the 2nd, but it's all part of the reeducation required when back running on the track.
    Reps 1, 2 & 3 were all 5:51 and I felt great running steady and concentrating on form. Reps 4, 5 & 6 were hard work and the form started to drift as it became a battle to stick with the original plan (5:56, 5:57, 5:56). Finished with a 10 min warm down and was totally spent. Great to be back on the track, but lots of work to be done.
    10.25 miles @ 7:09 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    McMillan Miles
    It's almost 9 months since I last set foot on a track in anger and that's way too long. Tonight the 10k training got real, on the track with nowhere to hide, with a misty drizzle and a cheeky breeze down the back straight to add some additional challenge into the mix.
    A few boardies kicking around doing 400's and a few guys at the sharp end of things, other than that it was relatively quite.
    Went on a bit of a warm up along the road, followed by a few laps of the track and some strides and drills, before getting stuck into 6 x 1mile @ target 10k pace off 3 min recoveries. The target, aggressive sub 37 min pace (5:57) which would relate to a 55 sec PB.
    Went off a little too hard and found it difficult to kept the pace in check, came back to bite me in the 2nd, but it's all part of the reeducation required when back running on the track.
    Reps 1, 2 & 3 were all 5:51 and I felt great running steady and concentrating on form. Reps 4, 5 & 6 were hard work and the form started to drift as it became a battle to stick with the original plan (5:56, 5:57, 5:56). Finished with a 10 min warm down and was totally spent. Great to be back on the track, but lots of work to be done.
    10.25 miles @ 7:09 pace

great going beepbeep, very encouraging splits.
    The session sounds very familier to the one we were doing in Galway this evening, one group doing 4's and the other doing the miles.

Easy Peasy

1hr easy was on the cards and 1hr easy was delivered.
    Not much to report, on the road, from the house, quite humid, legs a bit beat up from last night, but felt a bit looser as the run progressed.

7.7 miles @ 7:47 pace

Handy & Sandy

Another easy run was in the schedule, 40 mins it said, 40 mins it got, add in some strides at the end it said, those strides were done on the soft breakaway sand in Brittas Bay for some PF relieving joy feet.

5.8 miles @ 7:40 pace

Rest Day - watched the tennis, ate pizza, watching the DL with a glass of wine. Maybe this should be moved to the confessions thread.

• Advertisement

Track!
    Needed to get my session in early today, kiddie stuff to do this morning and helping at the Powerscourt 7k later on.
    So, the alarm went off at 7 and after a bowl of cereal, an expresso to give the morning routine a gentle nudge, it was on with the gear and up to the track.
    Warm Up, plus some dynamic stretching, strides, bounds and drills to kick off.
    Then into a form / endurance session, where the pace is manageable and I'm just concentrating on running tall with the hips forwards and rotating the heels out behind me. The pace then increases in the 2nd half as you try and hold the form together as you tire.
    4 x 400 [80, 81, 81, 81]
    3 min recovery
    2 x 600 [1:58, 1:58]
    3 min recovery
    4 x 400 [77, 78, 77, 75]
    3 min recovery
    4 x 200 [35, 35, 35, 35]
    Observations: Lacking fluidity and top end speed, endurance and strength feels fine, felt I could have kept going, but unsure if I had an extra gear - happy though 8/10.
    Total - 8.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good session there bb. Don't be too hard on yourself about top end speed, you did have over 3 hard miles in the legs before you did those 200s.

Steady LSR

Rain + white t shirt + nips that already have been battered this week = Badge of Honor x 2 :o (despite bodyglide).
    Just a standard steady LSR this morning, legs were a little beat up after a couple of solid track sessions this week, which gave me a quality total of 9.25 miles (18%) and the 1st time the weekly mileage has crept over 50 in 15 weeks.
    The weather was shocking, such a contrast to yesterday, I ran through such a heavy downpour from 6 - 8, that when I had an opportunity to stop, I stop to take of my t shirt and wring it out :eek:. Probably got some funny looks in the last few miles as the front of my t became increasingly more red! Apart from that the body felt fine.
    13.3 miles @ 7:23 pace (1:38:11)

WTD: 82.6 [51.3]
    MTD: 106.4 [66.1]
    YTD: 1,715.8 [1,066.4]

Easy aerobic and strides

Nothing much to report, hit Shanganagh after work for 6 nice and easy miles with a stretching built in at halfway. Finished off with 6 strides just to stay loose.
    6.41 miles @ 7:51 pace

Track Stamina 20 x 200

This is just a filler in session between key workouts, it's not too taxing but by the end you are starting to feel the effort.
    Started with a warm up followed by dynamic strides and bounds in sunny Charlesland.
    Then it was straight into 20 x 200 @ 3k pace (40secs) with rolling recoveries (200m+ in 60 secs) all in lane 3.
    Stayed pretty disciplined throughout with a fairly even spread and averaged 39.5 for the set, although the recoveries slipped to 70 secs for the last few.
    Good session, builds on form, pace is very manageable over the short rep and the 20 laps fly by.
    Total 8.15 miles @ 7:06 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Track Stamina 20 x 200

nice sessions lately BB, been following your 10k training and looks like a nice plan. I'm picking up a few tips from you for sessions as you go, I like the idea of the 20x200 session at 3k pace, as you say its not too taxing, as its not all out, but does get a bit of turn-over +stamina in . good stuff.

tisnotover wrote: »
    nice sessions lately BB, been following your 10k training and looks like a nice plan. I'm picking up a few tips from you for sessions as you go, I like the idea of the 20x200 session at 3k pace, as you say its not too taxing, as its not all out, but does get a bit of turn-over +stamina in . good stuff.

Nice session alright, you end up doing 5 miles in just under Marathon pace

Recovery Jog

Long day on calls left me feeling low on energy, so took a bit of time to get going this evening. Eventually headed out after 8 with some nasty looking black clouds overhead, but thankfully no rain. Pace was easy just recovery between sessions, left quad is a little tight, so a little foam rolling on the cards tonight.
    1hr @ 7:53 pace

McMillan 10k session #2 1x2M + 4x1M

These sessions are far from fun, you are definitely reaching in and withdrawing from the reserves. One of the challenges is to get through a busy day and not think about the session that lies ahead. To top things off I arrived at Shanganagh as drops of rain landed on the windscreen and this would eventually turn into a downpour as I trudged around the back fields trying to maintain target pace in increasingly unpleasant conditions.
    Anyway - a gentle jog for a warm up was had (1.35 miles), no time to hang around in the rain so it was straight into it. The plan 5:56 with 3 min recoveries between reps.
    - 2 miles 11:47 [5:54 - 5:53]
    - 1 mile 5:53
    - 1 mile 5:54
    - 1 mile 5:55
    - 1 mile 5:52
    Leaving aside the conditions this was tough, by the time I got to the 4th mile I was digging deep and blowing hard. Didn't think I'd make the last 2. With about 400 to go on the 5th I was at 5:59 pace but managed to pull it out of the bag. The final one I over cooked the 1st 400 trying to bag a few a seconds, but managed to stay focused and knock out my fastest split.
    Summary got through the session but went deeper into the well than planned.
    Summary: 9.63 Miles @ 7:10 pace with 1x2M + 4x1M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done on the session BeepBeep. Those McMillan sessions are nearly harder on the mind than on the body, I always feel the same on the fourth repeat "how the hell am I going to finish this!" :). Feels good to get them done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Another good session there, 36:30 on the cards?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Another good session there, 36:30 on the cards?

10k that's planned isn't a fast course (Ballinamore), ran 37:53 there last year, the closer I get to 37 the happier I'll be.

ARRGHHH!

Front of my lower shin felt pretty sore yesterday evening, same injury as before the National Half last and strangely enough after doing mile repeats on wet grass :(.
    Layered with Ibu internally and externally, compression sleeve on, felt reasonably ok walking around today. Only a recovery run planned so decided to do it on the treadie so I could bail at any stage. Tender for the 1st k, improved, got a little worse, so I stopped after 4 miles, wrapped in ice now - lets see!

No dice with the leg this morning so hopped on the bike for a spin up to Glen of the Downs and back. Took it handy on the way out ave 27 km/h and put in a bit of effort on the way home average 33 km/h for 43k @ 29.8 km/h.

An Easy 10

Yesterday I was away at a wedding and with all the standing and walking around by early evening my lower led was throbbing, but planning is everything and after the meal I went back to the room and set up the foam roller and tennis ball. This would become my routing and every 90mins or so I disappeared for a little 'treatment'. Got dug into some really sore spots, particularly on the inside of the lower shin on the opposite side of the strain, reckon there's a connection there. A few beers, a few glasses of wine and some Ibu allowed for some very deep kneading. Was a god boy generally and while I everyone else was hammering it into the wee hours I switched to water from about 11 and retired before 2am.
    Got back home early afternoon and after a rest and some more prodding a flip of a coin between a run or a bike I felt confident enough to get the runners on.
    Brought the pace right down, shortened the stride and was prepared to turn back at the slightest sign of pain. Thankfully after the 1st k or so all was good. I really enjoyed running along at a gentle pace, taking everything in and not thinking about the next split or average pace. Ended up with 10.12 @ 7:48 pace, no issue from the leg during the run, a little after stopping, so will continue with the self treatment.
    Down about 10 miles this week from where I should have been, yesterday's bike makes up for some of that, so it could have been worse.

WTD: 73.8 [45.9]
    MTD: 180.1 [112.0]
    YTD: 1,789.5 [1,112.2]

Leg still needs a little TLC, but much improved I have to say.
    Just ran an easy 5k on the treadie this evening, have one eye on heading over to Raheny tomorrow evening to lay down a marker.

Lactic City - Raheny 2 Mile

Long tiring day in work and while heading out for a coffee and some fig rolls about 5pm I considered giving this a wide as the Savannah winds whistled around Cherrywood. But after heading back to work for another meeting I was on the road to Raheny without thinking.
    A 3k time trail was in the schedule, so a 2 miler in Raheny fitted nicely, plus I've ran this race 4 times over the last few years. 2 miles is a great test, you're flat out, working hard and there's nowhere to hide.
    I parked the car over at the start / finish and went on a 1 mile loop over to registration, jogged back to the car and got organised. Between this, various strides and stretching I was ready for the off.
    Last year in August I ran just under 11 rounded up to 11 flat coming off a short taper, but I knew I was not feeling that sharp yet - 11:10 was a good target.
    I got a solid start as a group of 4 made a break and I sat in behind 5th, but he was moving too fast for me, a quick glance at the watch after about 600 showed 5:20 pace, I had over cooked it and would pay later. Held it together for the 1st lap and clocked 5:34 so bang on pace. The beginning of the 2nd lap was tough and I was swimming in lactic acid and running on my own into a stiff breeze, I was not looking forward to crashing and burning. Checking my lap pace at the same point of the 1st last I was 5:45 pace :eek:. That kicked me in the ass and I got back to suffering for the last k. A runner breezed past me at this stage and even me upping the pace made not difference. Around the last corner I pushed again and finished in 5:39 for 11:12 and 7th place.
    A little disappointed but probably a true reflection of where I'm at, might try and plug another in a few weeks. Total 6 miles in 42 miles.

Recovery on the double

Needs dictated today that I would end up on the treadmill twice.

AM: Gentle recovery jog early doors to flush the memory of last night's race out of the legs and mind - body was fine, no sore or tight spots. 5k @ 5:11 pace

PM: Same again back on the treadie after work, recovery pace a smidgen quicker and 10k bagged while watching Faster, Higher, Stronger on RTE player. 10k @ 4:54 pace

Clonroche 5k - 17:44

Yesterday just had a gentle trot for 25 mins with an eye on heading south east for a low key 5k. Friday evening came and I packed the car full of family and running gear and headed in the general direction of Clonroche and Cloughbawn GAA club. The place was a hive of activity, with kids going through hurling practice and what looked like a Junior team getting ready for a match.
    Registration and the event as a whole had a real fit 4 life vibe about it and sure where would you be going for €3.
    Got organised and went for a warm, not feeling tip top and sweating quite a bit so just chilled out got some fluids and keep the pre race strides to a minimum. Got to the start and there was a decent crowd of about 90, including Peter Matthews :eek: the effervescent Graham Porter and the Gibbons brothers. The race started on a small bohereen which was in pretty bad condition and we were warned about several potholes the size of of craters :eek:.
    So I shot out of the blocks to ensure had good ground visibility as we navigated through rocks, potholes, puddles and cowsh1t. After about a quarter of a mile we're back on tarmac and I'm in a little group in about 10th place. After this it was a 2 lap race of 2 halves, the first half I'm having a nice battle with another 2, at 2k I pull a head a little as we pass the GAA club and give the kids the thumbs up. Then we turn back on to the bohereen and the only gentle climb of the race and I left my racing companions as I ran strongly over the top keeping my eyes firmly fixed on where my feet would be landing next. By the time I hit the road I had built a decent gap and was trying to close on Myles Gibbons, but he was always just out of reach and where I ran pretty steady splits only a 4 secs spread I didn't have a kick at the end.
    Anyway well done Slaney Olympic, nice cuppa and grub afterwards.

About 300 to go
    241870_10150934972381356_2129248214_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. Glow in the dark runners!!! Congrats on your awesome run! Oh, and super photo of you. ;)

Advertisement