Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Time on the feet

Got a second back in last night's results :D, it usually goes the other way so happy with 17:43.
    Out early enough this morning to meet some of the Bray lads in Ashford for an easy LSR. The body was in reasonable shape after 2 races this week, although the lower shin was giving out from about halfway and was quite sore after I stopped, have to keep an eye on that obviously not quite healed yet. Strapped in ice now.
    Anyway nice to have the company, the pace was gentle, the weather was beautiful and the temperature rose and I bagged 14.16 miles in 1:48.

Bike & Run

Lower leg was tender getting this morning, so jumping straight into the planned 1hr easy run seemed risky. So stuck on the cycling gear instead and headed out the door with no plan in mind only to keep it easy. Headed into Ashford and then went on a lap of the Duo route before returning, it's a nice lap with ups and downs and straights, enough to get you thinking about gear selection. Then headed on out to Glenealy into a nice stiff headwind, before turning off at Deputy's Pass, still into the wind! Popped out opposite the beehive and on up the N11, down the Rocky Rd and home - 42k @ 27.6 km/h.
    Quickish transition (<3mins) and hopped on the treadie for an unplanned 30mins. Leg was sore sore starting off but improved, will need to give it some attention today - 6.22k.
    So no 1hr run, but between the bike and run probably a similar aerobic effect.

WTD: 74.9 [46.6]
    MTD: 255.1 [158.5]
    YTD: 1,864.5 [1,158.8]
    Races YTD: 10 [2 x Master's PB's]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

ya fecker, you've gone sub-18 before me this year! ;-)

well done on the 5k, lots more to come as you get into the 10k program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So cool that I am now familiar with Ashford - lovely place, but quite hilly if I remember correctly. Mind that leg. ;)

A Breezy Bike

Swelling has gone down on the leg, but reckon I need another day or two before risking it again. Got home changed quickly and headed out for a short bike. Wind was up a bit more than yesterday, so I decided to do a few laps of Deputy's Pass to avoid an out an back. It's a nice loop with a flatish/gentle rise into Glenealy against the wind, before heading through Deputy's Pass for about 6k where you can give it a lash on the flat and then you have 2k climb up the N11 and back to the start. Took it handy for the 1st 10k averaging 27.3 km/h, then cycled steady for the next 32k averaging 31.1 km/h, just enough to get me above 30 km/h on average.

Total 42.08k @ 30.1 km/h :D; Max speed 63.1 km/h

• Advertisement

80 hrs of TLC, Ice, Ibu and compression got me back in a position today to try a run. Kept it gentle - 60% on grass for 6.2 miles @ 7:57 pace. Leg held up, still a bit swollen, but no pain, so will continue the self remedy and revisit the schedule after playing it by ear for the next couple of days.

Change of Plan

McMillian 10k session #3 was in the plan for this evening, but it's too soon to put the leg under sub 6 min pressure so I'll delay that for a few days and rework the plan. But still wanted a bit of a workout, so ran easy easy down to a nice 3.6 mile lap that I have (Rathnew-Hunter's Hotel-Ashford-Rathnew) and planned to run this as a mini progression run starting at MP and moving up the gears to threshold. Stuck on my newly acquired ST5's, my Mana's have in excess of 400 miles in them, so needed a new pair of tempo / HM shoes. I really enjoyed the Mana's and considered getting the new 7's, but after looking around realised that I preferred the wider toebox in the ST4's. So after a quick visit to AK Bray for a try on, we're back in Brooks!
    Mile 1 started slowly, but I eased the pace up to 6:45 for the split. By Mile 2 I was feeling comfortable and a fairly easy 6:34 slipped by. Mile 3 I'm getting in the groove and I'm focusing on form as 6:23 felt easy. Finished off with the last .6 of a mile at 6:11 pace for 3.6 miles @ 6:37 pace. A nice leg loosener we can call it. Finished off at 7:36 pace for a few miles.

Leg isn't sore anymore, but there's some funny sh1t going on down there :eek:, you can see the swelling on the outside, but now I've also got this mad lump that's coming to a head, maybe it's some type of infection!
    Look away if squeamish!
    7651614482_da63e298f8.jpg

Ouch!

Friday Stress Relief

After a day of conference calls my a$$ didn't feel like mine anymore and my ears were ringing. So slipped on the X-233's and went for a gentle neutralizing trot.
    Up the town relief road, down Marlton, past the famous Abhainn's pain cave and on over towards the Murrough. Nice and serene here, down red brick lane along by the river and floating swans and ducks. Up the Murrough for a mile, over the tracks and back by the water works before being momentarily stopped by a woman with the largest collagen lips ever, which was a pity she was probably pretty once. Then on home via the port relief road.
    Oh yeah I wore a watch - 6.93 miles @ 7:44 pace, leg is fine and dandy at least less swollen than someone's lips.

Early Morning Easy

Got out of bed early enough and headed over to Shanganagh to treat my body to some running on grass. Was a bit creaky starting off and reinforces my decision not to add quality back in until next week. Kept the pace easy just concentrating on running form. Leg a little tender afterwards, seems to be when I got over the 1hr mark.
    8.47 miles @ 7:36 pace.

• Advertisement

After a morning on my feet my leg was a little tender despite being protected by compression. Left my run until later and left the strapping on, just done 5.4 miles and even at that there was pain and stiffness - very frustrating.
    Bike tomorrow I think.

WTD: 55.9 [34.7]
    MTD: 311.0 [193.3]
    YTD: 1,920.4 [1,193.5]

Came to the conclusion last night that I'm running out of runway to hit my 10k goal. The ol' body just can't cope with increasing the mileage and speed at the same time, all down the poor decision of rolling over to Kildare and not having a rebuilding phase before 10k training. I'll still run a few races, but I won't be too concerned over the times. Training for the next while will be easy running and strides and the odd race.
    Today had the leg strapped all day and it seems to be improving, but stuck to the get out the bike plan. Nice whizz out to Glen of the Downs, low gear higher than normal cadence and crossed the bridge at an average of 31.6 km/h. Turned into a nice stiff breeze on the way back, so put the head down and tried to maintain average pace. Pace crept upwards to average 32.6 km/h, but the continuous slog took it out of me and the last climb to house was a killer and I dropped to average 32 km/h for the 43.5 km.

You know, sometimes stepping back and just enjoying what you are doing with no pressure on yourself is the loveliest of things. :)

The movers came in the middle of the night and moved my log to the tri forum....but you are personally invited to come for a visit in my log anytime you need a change of scenery. Beer and snacks are always on hand, the pool is still a lovely 88 degrees if you feel like going for a dip, and I've always got music pumping through the speakers both in and out of the house in case you feel like chilling or busting a few moves. It's all good either way. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The movers came in the middle of the night and moved my log to the tri forum....but you are personally invited to come for a visit in my log anytime you need a change of scenery. Beer and snacks are always on hand, the pool is still a lovely 88 degrees if you feel like going for a dip, and I've always got music pumping through the speakers both in and out of the house in case you feel like chilling or busting a few moves. It's all good either way. ;)

I'll Tri ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Hey DD!! :D Yes, I saw they moved your log and I've been totally heartbroken as your log is my all-time absolute favorite of all logs (sorry Krusty :o). Thanks so much for the invite - I'll be over with bells on and I'll Tri and behave myself while I'm there. ;)

Wow. What a sweetie you are! Thanks!!! ;)

Wow. What a sweetie you are! Thanks!!! ;)

You're a gas ticket - I'll be over for sure :D

Moving to a weekly log for a bit as there won't be a whole pile going on. Going to run easy as I said with a few strides and mix in some biking. Highlights this week: Leg has recovered and managed over the hour mark today without it breaking down. My longest bike ever @ 50.5 miles and it felt very comfortable considering I ran 5 miles beforehand.

Day|Details|Miles|Time |Pace
    Mon|Continued recovery for the leg so biked to Glen of the Downs and back|27.03|1:21:25|19.9 mph
    Tue|Easy recovery in Shanganagh, leg improving|7.67|1:00:53|7:56
    Wed|Easy run on road, no reaction from leg|7.55|57:53|7:40
    Thu|Easy run in Shanganagh with 8 x 80mt strides|6.58|51:50|7:53
    Fri|Rest day - Flix, Popcorn & KFC|0.0|00:00|0:00
    Sat 1|Recovery paced 5 miles on the treadie |5.0|40:18|8:04
    Sat 2|Biked down past Annacurragh to meet Abhainn & Jackyback|50.53|2:47:48|18.1mph
    Sun|Steady double digit run|10.1|1:15:03|7:26

Running Totals
    WTD: 36.9 [59.4]
    MTD: 29.2 [47.0]
    YTD: 1,979.7 [1,230.4]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Compression, leg pain, swelling, ice packs, injury, pain...

Living close to Wicklow harbour...

Time to get your feet wet?;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Compression, leg pain, swelling, ice packs, injury, pain...

Living close to Wicklow harbour...

Time to get your feet wet?;)

Opening that post was like opening the door a Jehovah Witness!
    This log is staying put ;)

• Advertisement

Opening that post was like opening the door a Jehovah Witness!
    This log is staying put ;)

Great analogy, I guess I've been prosthelytizing for a while now :D

Thats a decent cycle today, not flat either. Only a matter of time before you're rounding the boats;)

I saw that bike ride posted on facebook - well done!! So nice to have options to give the body a break. Oh, and aren't there child labor laws in Ireland?? Who makes their kids work on Sunday??? ;);)

Oh, and aren't there child labor laws in Ireland?? Who makes their kids work on Sunday??? ;);)

Kids are halfway through their holidays and a reset has been on the cards ;)

Mon|Time was tight just an easy recovery trot on the treadie |4.00|31:21|7:50
    Tue|2 miles easy, 3 @ tempo + 6:12-6:09-6:02, 2.3 warm down|7.30|52:16|7:10
    Wed|Easy run on road|6.34|49.04|7:44
    Thu1|Easy early bike|28.3k|1:04:09|26.5km/h
    Thu2|Easy run with 6 x 80mt strides|5.0|37:32|7:30
    Fri|Rest day, took the kids to the beach for a dip |0.0|00:00|0:00
    Sat|W/U - Streets of Galway 8k - W/D|7.86|53:00|6:45
    Sun|Rest day? or double swim day!!|0.0|00:00|0:00

Running Totals
    WTD: 30.5 [49.1]
    MTD: 59.7 [96.1]
    YTD: 2,028.8 [1,260.9]
    Races YTD: 11 [3 x Master's PB's]

Spills and Thrills

An eventful week that included a fall off the bike, mediocre training, a first time race in my home town and way too much time in the water.
    Realized at the beginning of the week that I was committed to run a few races over the next 10 days, so done some threshold work on Tues to get the heart rate up and blow away some cobwebs. Started at threshold and worked it up a bit, but was working much harder than normal for the pace, too be expected I suppose, but sometimes you live in hope.
    Upgraded wheels and cassette arrived on Tues, put them together Weds night and was looking forward to an easy spin on Thurs Am to try them out. All was going well including avoiding a near mishap on loose chippings at the Beehive, when I arrived onto the town relief roundabout. Normally I'd stay on the cycle lane on the left, but as there was no traffic about I decided to go for the cycle lane on the other side and misjudged my speed and tightness of the turn. Front wheel caught the kerb almost parallel and flipped me, I landed on my ass and luckily my elbow went into the bank. Lay there waiting for the sharp pain that never came <phew> while reaching for the Garmin to hit the stop button and thus maintaining average pace :cool:. Got up checked the bike, no damage, then lay on the saddle to catch my breath as the pain in my right glute let me know it wasn't happy. Back on the bike and home to lick my wounds.
    Streets of Galway 8k
    If this wasn't a race in my hometown I would have skipped it, I was milling Ibu as my ass was turning nice shades of green and purple - no pics this time! But I'm glad I did run. Collected my number 1st thing as I arrived in Galway and ironically the t shirt was a good match for my butt. Then took the gang for a spot of lunch as Galway was squeezing in as many seasons as it could into Saturday with sun, humidity, wind and showers vying for the top slot.
    Headed back down to Claddagh shortly after 6 and after getting organised headed for a short warm up, glute was sore, but run-able, so I focused my stretching around this area.
    I had no real plan for this race except run hard and see what happens so got in about 3 rows back and went with the flow down towards Spanish Arch and a few twists and turns where you needed to be on your guard as you crossed some raised traffic islands. A back road section heading up to Eyre Sq after a shower where the ST5's struggled with traction and the huffing and puffing was accompanied by 2,000 pairs of squeaking runners. Went passed my old primary school and shortly afterwards checked my average pace as 2k beeped on my watch about 5 yds before the 2k sign - bugger 3:34 I would've been happy with that if it was a 5k, this could get ugly!
    Stuck in with a small group of 4-5 for the next few k as went passed the cathedral, down towards UCG and then on out towards Salthill. 4k beeped on my watch at 14:34 and I went through the halfway point in around 14:40. That's where the race effectively ended for me, there was some gentle climbing up to the 5k mark and I was working way too hard for a 3:51 split and the downhill that followed down to Leisureland was more of a plod than was could be a nice ramp up for a fast finish. By the time I hit the coast I was looking for the finish line and even the great support along Salthill couldn't get me going. My last 4 splits averaged 3:55 and I was given a lesson pacing and running to form rather than letting the head get a way from you.
    I'll be back when fit to give this one a last, it has PB potential, even though it was a masters 8k PB (1st one), but 1 min slower than my 5 mile time from last year.
    Race time: 30:21, Chip time: 30:19, Overall pace 47th, Category place 3rd.
    Sunday was a busy, busy day as it was all about the kids, hit the pool twice for 6 x 20mts - a whole 240mts of swimming - think that's a record. Done Salthill, Bearna, Spideal, AK in Oranmore and Salthill again. After the 2nd swim I had planned to get out for a trot but was dead on my feet.
    Had a fantastic time, biggest disappointment though was despite several good efforts I couldn't find a pint or bottle of Galway Hooker to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a fantastic time, biggest disappointment though was despite several good efforts I couldn't find a pint or bottle of Galway Hooker to save my life.
    Well done one the 8k. Sometimes you have to go out too hard to find out what 'too hard' is! If you want to find Galway Hooker, best thing to do is to go to the home of the beer, in Roscommon Town. Either that or Hollands in Bray. :)

Congrats on your hometown run, 3rd place category finish, and master's PB. Woo hoo!!! ;):)

Mon|Easy run from the house, glute still sore |6.32|48:27|7:40
    Tue|On the road again and just a 30min leg loosener in Drumcoura|3.86|30:01|7:47
    Wed|W/U - Ballinamore 10k - W/D|9.06|1:03:00|6:57
    Thu|Hilly punishment run after a feed of pints|7.83|58:51|7:31
    Fri|106k bike - Drumcoura to Navan|106.23k|3:34:49|29.7km/h
    Sat|Easy run from Killoughter to Wicklow|5.79|44:57|7:46
    Sun|W/U - Avondale 5k - W/D|7.3|54:17|7:26

Running Totals
    WTD: 40.2 [64.6]
    MTD: 99.9 [106.7]
    YTD: 2,093.5 [1,301.1]
    Races YTD: 13 [3 x Master's PB's]

A Mixed Bag

A mixed bag last week, lower back is still very sore at times and the bruising has spread, requires Ibu from time to time. Travelling about with family meant there was no routine from a diet perspective and most evenings were finished off with a few brews. Trained every day though, got 2 races in, longest ever bike and weight only marginally crept up.

Ballinamore 10k
    This was my 2nd time running this my 1st being last year. It's a typical no frills club race, smooth registration, called to the start 2 mins before the off and minimal stewards. I glad this was no longer my target as chasing a time would be difficult in the blustery conditions that would come into play in the 2nd half.
    This was a combined start for the 5k and 10k with 48 and 70 finishers respectively and we were treated to local Olympian Colin Griffin as the official starter. I planned to run a steadier race after Galway as I knew what was coming in the 2nd half. The 1st k is slightly uphill towards the top of the Main St and I'm sitting back taking some shelter from the wind. At the bottom of the Main St the race splits with the 5k'rs heading straight as the 10k heads parallel to the canal and on out past the golf course. I'm running pretty steady averaging 3:43 for the 1st 3k and leading a small group from 7th place back to about 11th or 12th. The route along the canal is deceiving as you expect it to be flat, but it climbs gently all the time. At 5k I see my watch beeps 18:52 which is identical to my Garmin 5k split last year and the real split comes about 5 seconds later. I'm happy with this as I start to stretch out my group and as climb up to the main road. We turn at about 5.5k and are immediately faced with a strong wind as the course with now be up and down all the way to finish. I'm on my own in 7th now and only thinking of my own race as it's head down and keep working. The 6th and 7th k's are 3:59 and 4:00, both net uphill and into the wind. Still running slightly uphill we are now on an exposed part of the course as the wind hits us at an angle from the left, I look up and see that either I'm closing on 6th or the hill and wind is shortening distance, anyway it gives me a target to keep the last quarter of the race interesting. The 8th k is a tough windy 3:59, but I've closed on my target and take him as we start a hilly 9th with a nett 20mts of climbing straight against the wind. He comes with me, but I've paced this well and I'm feeling strong, every 30secs or so I ratchet up the pace and by the time we've hit the 9k mark I've dropped him and I'll go on to put 13secs into him. During this battle I've closed significantly on 5th and as the course turns downhill for about half of the last k I make a long run from home eating up the gap with about 500 to go and talking another 10secs out of the Sligo AC runner. 4th and 3rd are getting ever closer as I run a 3:36 for the 10th k, but I run out of track and complete the last .05 in 14 secs.
    Race Time: 38:46, Chip Time: 38:44, Overall Place: 5th, Category Place 1st (1st Master)

106k Bike
    The original plan had been to attempt to cycle home (200k), but with my tail bone very sore I decided to split the difference. Got a couple of hours head start on the family, the plan being to get to the far side of Navan and rack up and then head for some lunch. This went better than expected and I wass well into my 2nd wind when I stopped and the OH was surprised at how fresh I looked, could have easily gone for another 20-30k anyway.
    It's a relatively flat spin, but was against a Southerly breeze all the way, on the downs and flats this was a doddle and I could build up a go head of steam, but on any type of a hill the pace would drop.
    Made it to Virginia (66.4k) at just over 29km/h, had a quick stop for an energy bar and some wine gums. Once I navigated Virginia I picked up the pace as I headed to Navan, a bit slow again going through Kells as the traffic was busy and I was happy to finish up felling good and at 29.7km/h.

Avondale 5k
    Last minute decision to do this, had a good few Ales yesterday and a heap of BBQ food. But a great setting and the temptation of a fry up afterwards seemed to fit nicely with my last week's training. Reasonable crowd for this and all for a great cause the Wicklow Hospice and conditions were humid.
    Again the plan for me wasn't to go mad, still had a couple of races and the long ride in my legs. Let the leaders go from the off and I settled into a nice pace back in 8th or so. No point looking at splits as the elevation was up and down, so I just concentrated on holding my own for the 1st 3k. As we reached a solid climb with 2k to go I started thinking about the finish and reeled in a Parnell runner. Cormac Conroy was ahead now after coming back from an injury layoff and he responded as I pulled up to him, but as I pushed on the steepest part of the climb I managed to shake him. Started striding out now on a nice flat piece of trail all the time hearing footsteps get ever nearer behind me as I'm making progress on 5th. There's a little climb to finish to with and I get pipped by younger legs to finish 6th.
    Race Time: 18:07, Overall Place: 6th, Category Place 3rd (Senior)

A mixed bag last week

Two AG podium finishes, a 100k+ bike at almost 30kph, ales, pints, BBQ's... that's some mix! Great week for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

just catching up. Well done in SoG. You'll have to come back next year to beat your SoG pb ;)

• Advertisement

Not only are you putting in some serious work (especially on the bike!), but you seem to really be flying. Have you any "big" races coming up or targeted in the future?? And have you given any consideration to trying a duathlon - run/bike/run? I think you'd be a natural fit. :)

Advertisement