Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Dom. Great to see the war-face in action!
    Thanks for the rousing encouragement on Monday. After leaving the scene, I was pumped full of adrenaline and raring to tackle the remaining few miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Dom. Great to see the war-face in action!
    Thanks for the rousing encouragement on Monday. After leaving the scene, I was pumped full of adrenaline and raring to tackle the remaining few miles!

Good stuff, I think I startled you into action :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Results from the masters, I finished 10th M45 which goes to show what a competitive bunch the aul lads are and 5th Wicklow master.

Good going these days BB. Tough competition in your neck of the woods.

Was there a milestone birthday there recently, missed that. Welcome to V3.

Good luck with the marathon training. ;)

dna_leri wrote: »

Was there a milestone birthday there recently, missed that. Welcome to V3.

That was 6 mths ago - not counting any V3 PB's until I have a season behind me.

8150616560_82dcd915ba_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 70.0 [112.7]
    MTD: 30.5 [387.4]
    YTD: 1,927.5 [3,101.3]
    Races YTD: 17 [3 x Master's PB's]

More Miles!
    Simple plan this week, get the mileage back up to Wk42's 70, however I only had 6 days to do it in with 18hrs door travel coming up on Sunday. The bank holiday and few days off with the kids for mid-term helped in front loading the week, where I done my usual make sure I have gear in the car and hop out when we are returning from somewhere, which creates minumum disruption.
    My sore knee returned on Tuesday, I think a combination of the XC, running on road/concrete and the increase in mileage didn't do it any favours. So the dosages of Glucosamine and Chondroition were upped, ice was applied after running and a compression bandage worn at night. Moved the running indoors to the treadie where I could focus on form and I got myself back to 90% for today's LSR. I've a 54hr break coming up before my next run, so hopefully that helps along with most of my running on the hotel treadie for the next 11 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Someone captured the moment in time :)

306652_334463686652625_1767443549_n.jpg

That's some mush Dom! :D and I'm not talking about the ground conditions.
    I'd say you just scared off that poor lad in the yellow with a sideways glance!
    Well done on a great race and a great year of running!

8175079711_5d1287909d_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 54.9 [88.3]
    MTD: 85.4 [137.4]
    YTD: 1,982.4 [3,189.6]
    Races YTD: 17 [3 x Master's PB's]

Namaste!
    Back in India for some work means a little readjustment to the training schedule. Working Irish timings so not getting back to the hotel until nearly midnight local time, but I had a couple of midnight runs. Gave myself a handy target, thinking anything that went over 50 for the week and I'd be pleased. A bit too much treadie running but that was good for the knee which is still lingering, I've been exchanging emails with my physio, so I'm doing some stretching and leg work until she can assess it properly. Added in some tempo work this week (10% of mileage) for 2 reasons 1) helps with the treadmill boredom and 2) will hopefully run the Waterford Half in 3 weeks time.
    Sunday was a relief to hear the local running were meeting up for a run, the bad news was that it was at 5am which is understandable as once the sun comes up, the temperature climbs pretty quickly. So I think if I count both timezones this was both my earliest and latest run :eek:.
    Gachibowli Stadium was the meeting point, but unfortunately we weren't going to make use of the track, instead one of the gang had planned this route with option 1 turning at the 14k point for 21k or adding a bit on for 27k. I was happy with the shorter version.
    The Hyderabad Runners are building a nice running set up over here, they hosted their second marathon this year and had 3.3k runnings and are looking to double next year. One of the group volunteers each week to drive the course and offer water and sports drink at various points.
    So in pitch black we head off, with the 1st couple of miles very relaxed at just under 9 min pace. Myself and another runner took the pace up a little as we went trough a residential area, with the next 3 miles at just over 8 min pace. The sun was starting to rise now as we ran parallel to the airport highway and towards a village called Narsingi, where we came across an aid station for the 2nd time, so we stopped momentarily for a quick drink. Up over the highway and then back down to run on another service road on the opposite side. Some nice support here from the local kids gave us high 5's and thumbs up as the sun was now a hazy orange glow. My running buddy was started to slow a bit with us averaging 8:15 for the last 4 miles but I was happy to keep to his pace. However once he gave me directions to the finish and told me to go on I was also happy to take it up a notch and I finished at 7:20 pace for the remaining 3.8 miles, which was predominantly uphill and past the 'Microsoft Mile' which is an uphill stretch of road that runs along the Microsoft campus.
    So happy out, ran mid 50's for the week (which keeps my 8 wk average at above 60), got out for a trot with some company, added in 10% tempo running, better than expected overall!
    Alvida!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done!! :)

8196141815_a748c5f6db_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 51.2 [82.4]
    MTD: 136.6 [219.8]
    YTD: 2,033.6 [3,272.0]
    Races YTD: 18 [3 x Master's PB's]

Feck!
    Computer shut down and I lost everything I typed - the short version:
    • Flew back from India, 43hrs bed to bed = wrecked.com
    • Hit 2k miles for the year
    • Ran a race, exactely the same pace as last year, finished 13th / 2nd M45
    • Knee still sore
    • Need to run 60+ next week

8217201684_c90940816a_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 62.5 [100.5]
    MTD: 199.1 [320.3]
    YTD: 2,096.1 [3,372.6]
    Races YTD: 18 [3 x Master's PB's]

Normality!
    This week had a feeling of normaility about it and a bit more structure than my recent block of training. I have 4 races in the schedule in December and while none of them are priority races, I do need to get the body used to working a little harder. The primary focus for the week was still to get my 60+ miles in, while also ensuring that I'm starting to freshen up the body. So 2 very easy 4 mile days were complimented with 5 days in double figures including a hill session and a stamina session.
    Was dreading the stamina session, but in reality I flew through my 12 miles run which had a 6 mile block from 5-11 of 2xHMP + 1xMP + 2xHMP + 1xMP. The first mile felt tough, but once I got rolling it was fine, it's amazing how easy MP feels at the end of the HMP segments.

Next week sees hills again on Tuesday and about a 20% reduction in mileage before Saturday's HM, where the plan will be to run steady and try and finish strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I've just had a chance to catch up on your recent exploits and I see you've been a very busy beepbeep:D
    Fantastic running from you recently and your Hyderabad high jinks sounds like a great experience.

Mr Stew has also signed up for Rotterdam as his Spring Marathon, he's taking things fairly easy at the moment but he'll be back to the hard work soon.

Marthastew wrote: »
    I've just had a chance to catch up on your recent exploits and I see you've been a very busy beepbeep:D
    Fantastic running from you recently and your Hyderabad high jinks sounds like a great experience.

Mr Stew has also signed up for Rotterdam as his Spring Marathon, he's taking things fairly easy at the moment but he'll be back to the hard work soon.

Thanks for that and well done again in the park. Does Rotterdam not tempt you :p

I've got my GFA for London (one week after Rotterdam) so I'll be sending Mr S off while I mind the boys, it's usually me who gets to travel and run a marathon so it's high time he went and had some fun:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    I've got my GFA for London (one week after Rotterdam) so I'll be sending Mr S off while I mind the boys, it's usually me who gets to travel and run a marathon so it's high time he went and had some fun:)

Well if he's looking for dinner companions myself and Mrs BeepBeep will be there Sat to Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

very nice session Sat, will look out for ya in Waterford, pity its not finishing on track this year.

tisnotover wrote: »
    very nice session Sat, will look out for ya in Waterford, pity its not finishing on track this year.

Hopefully it's just a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done at the weekend bb. Looking bang on target for Rotterdam.

Well done at the weekend bb. Looking bang on target for Rotterdam.

Was a bit disappointed tbh, haven't had time to write a report, will do that this evening.
    Went off at sub PB pace to test myself (probably a mistake with little or no quality work under the belt), knew it wasn't going to happen so eased off, hit the first hill well, wasn't expecting the hills to continue for over 3 miles - got my ass kicked by them, once a decent time was gone ran home at MP. Still a decent workout.

Was a bit disappointed tbh, haven't had time to write a report, will do that this evening.
    Went off at sub PB pace to test myself (probably a mistake with little or no quality work under the belt), knew it wasn't going to happen so eased off, hit the first hill well, wasn't expecting the hills to continue for over 3 miles - got my ass kicked by them, once a decent time was gone ran home at MP. Still a decent workout.

My turn to get the coffee and scone....
    Sorry it didn't go exactly to plan:( looking forward to hearing all about it.

8242793146_94e6ed5fd7_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 40.7 [65.5]
    MTD (Nov): 220.8 [355.3]
    YTD: 2,136.8 [3,438.1]
    Races YTD: 19 [3 x Master's PB's]

Miles are not enough!
    This week was a little messy due to work and life commitments, Tuesday was an unplanned rest day, the hill reps were pushed out to Weds and I just about squeezed in a few treadie runs before Saturday.

Waterford Half
    This started well enough with a nice spin down to Waterford as the sun rose, but temperatures didn't! Stopped the far side of New Ross for a coffee and a muffin and had those on the go as I headed for the RSC.

The plan for this was to run steady and try and finish strongly, which is how I ran it last year. In reality I started a little too quick, but had readjusted on mile 2 to go through in 12:24 and I felt pretty good. Miles 3+4 have a bit of a climb out the Tramore Rd and even though it was into a slight breeze I was still clipping along nicely and went through 4 in 25:18. I noticed at this stage that even though it was cold I was sweating quite a bit, so I ditched my gloves. Soon after I met tisnot, who was going well in a nice little group and we had a quick chat. At this stage I knew it wasn't going to be my day and I told tisnot that I wasn't feeling the love. Still I dug in and hung onto the back of this group, 6:20 for mile 5. About 3/4's through mile 6 we turned off the main road and immediately started climbing, strangely enough I felt ok and concentrated on my form as I started passing some bodies, back to back 6:35's was alight through this section and I hit 7 miles in 44:48 (6:24 Pace), pretty close to the original plan. It was from here though that the wheels started to come off, another set of hills followed on mile 8 and I felt my energy levels waining as I ran a pretty despondent 6:51, mile 9 was undulating and I found it hard to pick up the pace on down sections 6:48. The beginning of mile 10 started climbing again, before we were sent to the left to head back to the main road, after 3.5 mile of hills it felt like we gave it all back over 1/2 mile as we popped back out onto the Tramore Rd. A glance of the watch showed that average pace had slipped to 6:29, so rather than flog a dead horse I used the remaining miles as a training run and finished at MP. Don't think I've ever finished a race with so little enthusiasm and when we had to finish with 1.5 miles around the nature park I just wanted it to be over.

Afterthoughts
    Mileage is fine, but I'm looking forward to adding back in some structured training. December takes care of itself with 3 more shorter races, so I'll ebb and flow between those, before finishing the month with a few long ones.
    School boy error with the opening miles, lesson learnt, respect your current level of fitness!
    If I had studied the course and knew the hills on the back I may have taken it easier on the hill at 6 and had more in the tank.
    Also think I was fighting off something, I was sweating a bit too much early on. Had to leg it to the toilet after having some food back in the hall and on the way home after about an hour's driving I pulled in to call the OH to tell her I was tired. Closed my eyes and 2pm became 2:28 before I knew it.

Anyway, it's not all bad, it was still a good workout that came at the end of a solid 10 week 600 mile training block. Apart from the steep downhill my knee played ball and was fine yesterday and today.
    4 weeks to Marathon training ;)

• Advertisement

Well done BeepBeep. :) I like your glass half full spirit....and do take care if you are coming down with a bug. What plan will you be following for Rotterdam?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done BeepBeep. :) I like your glass half full spirit....and do take care if you are coming down with a bug. What plan will you be following for Rotterdam?

Still under construction, will peak at about 75 mpw and will have plenty of threshold and MP miles.

Great report. I think that we learn a lot more from races that don't go exactly to plan than the ones where we rock up and run as we predicted/hoped and as Dory says you've taken plenty of positives from Saturday.
    I'll be following your plan closely on behalf of Mr Stew and I, although we'll be keeping the miles lower but it's always great to see what sessions the more experienced runners have in their plans.
    18 weeks to go on Monday......:)

Nothing like a windy rainy club 5k handicap to get a race out of your system.
    18:28 - 2 seconds under my prediction!

8259466976_fea2a9c1b5_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 54.7 [88.0]
    MTD: 73.7 [118.5]
    YTD: 2,191.4 [3,526.0]
    Races YTD: 20 [3 x Master's PB's]

Scrappy!
    Bit of a scrappy week both running and diet, happy to hit my 50 mile target although it was primarily ticking boxes. Lovin' the torch-lit runs on the back roads though, nice to keep to my normal routes. Had a dog lead incident early in the week and I'm left with 2 nice brusies across my thighs.
    Along with the food and alcohol excess, this week also had some boardie excess, with a few knocking about at the club handicap, a random bumping into Marthastew and Mr Stew at a Christmas party and then Abhainn ate and drank me out of house and home last night. This ended up being a late one and a pre booked 9am visit to see Santa Claus in Powerscourt meant a ropey start to the day. Came back home, chilled for a bit and then hit the treadie for a punishment run to sweat it out. Would have been happy to hit 7 and get me over 50, but then again I couldn't abandon Fionnuala as I cranked up the pace and kept in step as she ground out a great result.

Bray Runner's Christmas 5k Handicap
    No real expectations for this one, no speedwork, the HM still in my legs and a cold breezy evening that awaited on the Southern Cross. A reasonable number of bodies were out considering the evening that was in it, which included Abhainn, Krusty and wrsan. The 18:30 prediction as the basis for my handicap was fair and I went off 2nd last on my own with Fin, Abhainn and Krusty 60 secs behind me.
    I was on my own for this and the plan was to run 10kish pace for the 1st 2 miles, before toughing it out on the final mile up the Southern Cross against the wind. 1st 600mts started into the wind and I was mindful of not going off too hard to chase down the runners ahead of me, a short downhill followed before briefly climbing back up to the Kilarney Rd - 3:47, a little slow but no drama. Next k had some nice running, flat up as far as the church, with the wind coming from the side, before turning down the Boghall Rd, got back some time here with a 3:34. Next k was tricky with ups and downs on the paths and care needed as cars entered and exited from various side roads - 3:43. Beginning of the 4th k Fin overtook me and he was going well, I got in behind him for about 200mts, but he was motoring, so I eased back a bit, towards the end of this k as we faced into the wind Krusty came by - 3:39. Shortly afterwards I heard the familiar footfall that was Abhainn, so with about 800 to go I started to kick on. This was hard work into the wind, but I just kept trying to lift the pace, before sprinting the last 100, just about kept him at bay as I passed a stream of other runners - 3:43.
    Official result - 18:27 and the body coped without any issue.

Abhainn ate and drank me out of house and home last night.

Well, Abhainn did indicate that life had been good post DCM and that he was working on his Pillsbury Dough Boy look. ;)

Nice 5k race and report. Pretty fast time there for such a low key attitude. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

and then Abhainn ate and drank me out of house and home last night.

I'm not shy when it comes to both of those. You have only yourself to blame for loading me up on all that fine food and the quite excellent selection of beers.
    After all the excess I was not too worse for wear on my Sun morning workout ;)

Great to meet you and all the beepbeeps at the weekend:)
    Hopefully see you in Wicklow on 26th.

8278548128_6af70ff6e0_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 48.0 [77.2]
    MTD: 121.6 [195.7]
    YTD: 2,239.4 [3,603.2]
    Races YTD: 21 [3 x Master's PB's]

Happy Out!
    Not a great mileage week, but starting to get back to normal, have to say I really enjoyed the running I done this week.
    The headtorch is opening up interesting night time runs, on the hill session on Tuesday I felt strong and in control and the remainder of the week was focused on Sunday's XC.
    The 1st of this year's Chritmas dinners was duly dispatched at lunchtime on Weds, which led to a 'breezy' trot around Bray on Wes night!
    Also tipped over last year's mileage yesterday, which wasn't bad considering I was 180 miles behind on Feb 14th when I started back after injury.

Wicklow Senior XC Champs
    I actually do enjoy Cross County and after getting a course conditions report from Abhainn on Saturday evening I wrestled with my spikes and eventually replaced my 9mms with 12mms. Decision made to buy a new pair and leave 9mms in them.

Sunday morning I picked up Abhainn at 10:30 and we headed for Shanganagh, spirits were high and apart from the underfoot conditions it was a perfect morning for racing.

Went on a few warm ups with different groups as we sized up the opposition, but I have to say even with arguably our 2 best runners out due to injury, we were rocking 3 sub 2:40, 1 sub 2:45 and 2 sub 2:50 guys in our team of 8. Shanganagh was pretty runable, but several areas were very mucky and caution was needed on some sharp corners. Took some time to marvel at the effortless running of Fionnuala Brittion as she 'jogged' to victory in the Senior ladies, a nice touch and a nice treat for everyone to see last week's European champ in action.

The race itself went as well as expected for my perspective, after a choppy start as you fought for grip and position I settled into a nice pace which I maintained for the race.
    The key moments for me were, loosing touch with a group of 5 after about 5k as I maintained my pace and they increased the pace. Working back to 3 of that group over the next 2k before putting a 20-30secs gap over them for the remainder of the race and not quite having an extra gear or enough time to subsequently catch the next group, although I was gradually closing over the last 2k. Pace as I said was pretty steady and despite some mucky areas and 1 gradual climb into the wind my splits were 5 secs either side of my average. Most pleasing part was I finished strong, my average pace for the 10.38 Garmin ks was the same as my 10k on the road at the end of the Summer and faster than my 3 most recent XC races all which were shorter.
    10.38 Kms; Official time: 39:49; 17th place; Bray Runners Gold.

A few miles next week plus a hill session, before and easy few days around Christmas before the Streets of Wicklow on the 26th.

• Advertisement

8299263825_fcae929956_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 71.8 [115.6]
    MTD: 193.5 [311.3]
    YTD: 2,311.3 [3,718.8]
    Races YTD: 22 [3 x Master's PB's]

More Mile(s)!
    Hit all my mileage goals this week with a record high since I returned to running. Got into double mileage figures 5 times, had 3 doubles and a solid hill session Thurs. 2 solid medium length runs to finish off the week and to prepare me for extending the long runs again. Body felt fine for the most part and I even squeezed a mile race on the track! Diet has started to waiver a bit with all the temptations coming into the house, but I'm not too concerned until I hit Jan 1st.

Wicklow Hospice Winter Solstice Mile
    I only had 2 objectives for this race 1) Support a great cause and 2) not to get injured. With a weekly mileage goal still to hit I rolled through the weekly plan and had 40+ miles on the clock before I set foot on the track including a run early that morning, unfortunately for my first and last track race of the year, normally I'd squeeze in half a dozen.

I had no idea of what time to go for, except knowing I was a million miles away from my 5:01 from last year, so before I left the house I stuck my recent 5k time into McMillian which returned a 5:18, that'll do me I thought, even with the high miles and a solid hill session the night before.

I went on a short warm up, including a few stretches and drills while the younger age groups whizzed around the track. Then the sub 5:30 group were called as fog descended around the track in the cool night air.

Some scrambling for position straight after the off and I got into the inside lane pretty quickly and without mishap. Lap 1 was over in a flash and I seen 1:18 on the clock for the 409mts. I hadn't even bothered to work out what my splits should be, but it felt about right.
    Settled in behind 2 others on lap 2 and with 2 to go the clock read 2:38.
    Was working hard on lap 3 to now try and detach myself the little group and make my way to next runner ahead and I think we went through in another 80 sec lap.
    Concentrated on form down the back straight as I heard footsteps grow ever closer and then launched into what I'll loosely call a sprint off the last bend, but my high mileage legs could not hold off the 2 pairs of younger legs that came flying past and I gave back the 2 places I had worked hard for to finish in 5:17.
    I was reasonably pleased, but I'll be back in June/July to murder that time, until then I've bigger fish to fry!

Advertisement