Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done on the mileage goals, quality hill sessions, staying away from injury, and putting down a solid mile time all in one week. :) Merry Christmas BeepBeep. I hope Santa brings you something fun this year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

RTM Plan - V1, need to review with the coach.
    Primarily based on JD A as it ticks my speed endurance and endurance opportunities, with a few tweaks and a few more to come when I know the County RR date.
    Tops out at 75 which I think is sensible knowing my injury history.
    Thoughts welcome.
    8317789366_976fd83c8d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    RTM Plan - V1, need to review with the coach.
    Primarily based on JD A as it ticks my speed endurance and endurance opportunities, with a few tweaks and a few more to come when I know the County RR date.
    Tops out at 75 which I think is sensible knowing my injury history.
    Thoughts welcome.
    8317789366_976fd83c8d_b.jpg

Good luck with it bb. Personally, having done both i prefer p&d to daniels A but i did pb off both too. I think daniels makes you fast over 10 miles to half marathon. Lots of LT running. The problems i had were i think i peaked a month to six weeks out (twice) and the sessions lend themselves to sneaky breaks (i.e. I dont mean in between cruise intervals, but in btw LT and easy sections of a long run). If i was doing daniels again i would run through these.

Will follow with interest.

Good luck with it bb. Personally, having done both i prefer p&d to daniels A but i did pb off both too. I think daniels makes you fast over 10 miles to half marathon. Lots of LT running. The problems i had were i think i peaked a month to six weeks out (twice) and the sessions lend themselves to sneaky breaks (i.e. I dont mean in between cruise intervals, but in btw LT and easy sections of a long run). If i was doing daniels again i would run through these.

Will follow with interest.

Thanks for that - I suppose the Easy sections could be run closer to the upper limit (7:10) rather than the lower (7:40)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thanks for that - I suppose the Easy sections could be run closer to the upper limit (7:10) rather than the lower (7:40)?

I followed daniels A to the letter which resulted in a 2:57 in barcelona 2011. IIRC easy was 7:30 and LT was 6:05 ish. Ive recorded the gory details in the log. I often stopped the watch after say 6x 1 m for a minute or so before takingoff on a 1 h easy session. This i think gave me bad habits. There is no
    hiatus mid marathon. The watch keeps running :-)

P&D has a greater focus on sustained running. Now i never stop the watch on a lsr or decent run unless i absolutely have to.

• Advertisement

8324934267_f1ac719337_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 70.3 [113.1]
    MTD: 263.8 [424.4]
    YTD: 2,381.5 [3,831.9]
    Races YTD: 23 [3 x Master's PB's]

The end of Phase I - 105 days to Rotterdam!
    So that's that, the end of the fannying about, the end of making it up as I go along, the end of running just for the craic, proper training starts tomorrow :eek:.
    The day after my DCM HM pacing I had set myself a little challenge of running 900 miles over the 15 weeks remaining in the year and all going well on my long one tomorrow I'll just tip over that. It will be a double milestone as I had also set myself a target of running 2,400 miles this year and will just do that despite only running 49 miles in Jan.
    This week nearly got off to a bad start when a few miles into my run on Monday when I stopped to cross a junction I tweaked my back and it went into a little spasam, had to walk gingerly across the road until I could find somewhere safe to stretch. Thankfully it wasn't too bad and I was able to complete my run, although a little painfully. Spent the evening on the floor and sofa eating Ibu instead of Roses.

Streets of Wicklow 5k - 17:56
    Really enjoy this race, it's on my doorstep, gets a decent crowd, there's always a ding dong to be had with one of the locals and it's a fair and testing route. After an 18:27 in the club handicap, I was thinking 18:15 and as close to 18 as possible.
    The weather was atrocious before the start of this and considering it was a register on the day race, it was great to see 400+ on the start line. I lined up behind Ro McGettingan, not knowing how appropriate that would be as the race unfolded.
    I know this race and course very well, so I planned a steady start with a steady 2nd k which is predominantly uphill. I got a decent start, staying out of trouble on the RHS as younger runners and various GAA shorts when hell for leather. A first k of 3:33 was just a couple of seconds under my plan, so I was happy as we worked our way along the main street.
    The hill kicks in about halfway through the 2nd k and I concentrated on running efficiently, keeping the cadence high. I reckon I passed about 7-8 in this next 500 mts, including Ro as we topped the hill - 3:51 was a little slower than planned, but bang on for 2k.
    I ran strongly over the top of the hill trying to put some distance between myself and those I passed, but all the while I could hear the neat high cadence pitter patter of Ro's stride behind me. I pushed on downhill and despite a 3:23 Ro passed me before the end of this k.
    I reacted strongly and pushed on into a slight breeze along the quays, before some twists and turns try and knock you out of your stride - think I passed 2 in this section, while staying a little ahead of Ro - 3:37.
    Just before the 4th k Ro passed me again and from there to the finish, which has a drag for the last 400, it was me pushing but Ro just having enough to stay ahead, I was delighted when the clock came into sight and it read 17:45, which spurred me on to finish in 17:56. A final k of 3:31, I'd normally expect to finish quicker, but I don't think I left anything behind and ran right at the limit of my current fitness.

Thurs - Sun
    The end of the week was all about ticking some mileage targets just getting north of 50 for the last 4 days and squeezing in an enjoyable run with some boardies high in the Wicklow hills - let's say I've seen some things that have left a lasting impression ;)

And so ends 2012.
    Overall I'm disappointed with the year, didn't hit any of the goals I set myself, maybe the thread title is finally coming into play :p.
    I know some of this was injury related and some due to bad decision making.
    On a positive note I've grown as a runner in 2012, I've built on my endurance base or at least have started to address my lack of endurance and I've become more knowledgeable about myself and running in general.
    2013 is a defining year, the goals remain the same, sub 5 mile, sub 17:30 5k and sub 3 Marathon in reverse order.
    Thanks to everyone who have left comments over the year and Happy New Year to you all.
    8330103334_a54ca9eb7d_o.jpg

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that I didn't get to meet you when I was so close to you last July. Texting was great, but to have seen you in the flesh would have been so much better. ;) Any way, from my perch over here across the pond, I think you had a pretty dang good year. It's more about the journey than the destination - so if you've grown, learned and built then you've been successful. In the words of Jack Sparrow, now bring me that horizon. :)

Happy New Year BeepBeep. And I appreciate all the help and encouragement you've given me this year. Thank you.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The only thing I'm disappointed in is that I didn't get to meet you when I was so close to you last July. Texting was great, but to have seen you in the flesh would have been so much better. ;) Any way, from my perch over here across the pond, I think you had a pretty dang good year. It's more about the journey than the destination - so if you've grown, learned and built then you've been successful. In the words of Jack Sparrow, now bring me that horizon. :)

Happy New Year BeepBeep. And I appreciate all the help and encouragement you've given me this year. Thank you.

Thanks Carol, I've enjoyed your encouragement and banter - HNY to you too and I hope those criminals get their comeuppance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

all the best for the new-year BB, lets get those PB's in the new year!

• Advertisement

8353004849_031f246c24_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 53.1 [85.5]
    MTD: 35.1 [56.6]
    YTD: 35.1 [56.6]
    Races YTD: 23 [3 x Master's PB's]

Form! - 98 days to Rotterdam!
    This is the 6th update in a row that contains a race report and I think I've actually ran myself into a little bit of form. A good place to be as the marathon training kicks in for real.
    Mileage dropped this week, I think the body needed it and with adding a track session and a race it was also a sensible approach, feels strange that 50+ miles is a step back week!
    Stuck my long run in at the beginning of the week and was happy at how I got on with my 1st 2hrs+ run in a while, it was quite hilly for the 1st 9 miles, before you give it all back over a mile as you enter Brittas Bay South, a nice 4 miles along the coast follow before you climb again for about 2.5 miles to the Marlton Road. The weather was cool, so I ran without any aid, except the many beers, chocolate and good food I had stored.
    Thurs seen my first training session on the track for far too long, would have preferred if it was Weds, but I ran out of time. With the race in 3 days I decided to maintain the session pace, but drop one of the reps, this worked well and I finished the session pretty fresh.

Wicklow Masters XC
    As I said this was to be my 6th race in the last 36 days and after a light breakfast of brown bread and jam I strolled out the road to meet Abhainn who was the designated driver this time around. A late email from the night before has us down a clown on top of already loosing a pronator, meant our A team (35 - 50) would be a little thin on the ground.

Shanganagh was already beginning to look busy as we made our way to registration and the usual banter with the other clubs as we settled and then went for a warm up. I was sweating like mad yoke so stepped out for some water and rejoined the group after a few minutes.
    Bray had a solid running in the ladies taking the top 3 spots and obviously the team, so the form was good as we headed for the start. The course was 2 laps of 3k+, Shanganagh had improved from the muckfest that was the Senior XC, but there was still a few tricky corners and sticky spots that would keep you on your guard.

I got a solid start and we made our way down a pretty fast first k before you turn and run uphill against the breeze along by the cliff, I only looked at my watch once through the race, but this was a 3:38. I'm in about 10th/11th place and feeling pretty strong. The 2nd k is about consolidation and I hold my own as the race starts to string out, there's a nice section through a wooded area, so I take a few spots before we enter here and give one back on the far side - 3:42.
    The 3rd k sees me in a nice battle with an M40 from Kilcoole and we pull ourselves up to the next group and we pick off 3 in quick sucession - 3:42. I look at my watch the only time here to see average 3:41 pace, I would finish with a 3:42 average.
    The 4th k is starting to bite and the Kilcoole runner makes a little ground on me, but I keep him within striking distance, this 4th k includes the hill again - 3:49.
    As we enter the wooded area again I pull alongside and make sure I'm 1st into the woods again and really storm through here to pull about 5mts ahead, focusing on form now I know I'm within a mile of the finish, up the final climb for a 3:48 (it felt faster than that).
    I stretch it out now on arguably the easiest section listening out for the cheers behind me to give me an indication of the gap, but a clubie lets me know I have 20mts to spare. I'm closing on Eddie McGrath now who is running as guest as part of his recovery, so as I enter the last field with 500 to go I increase the pace again to try an close and clock a 3:38, the last 220mts are then covered at 3:14 pace, but there was enough distance between myself Eddie.

Delighted with my form, the strenght throughout the race and to finish 5th, 2nd M45 and a scorer on the Bray team and sub 6min pace on muck!

6.22k in 23:02

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Dom! Great result and a great start to the year (and retaining the title too). Good to see Abhainn on the path to recovery as well. Much between first and second?

Well done Dom! Great result and a great start to the year (and retaining the title too). Good to see Abhainn on the path to recovery as well. Much between first and second?

About 20 seconds I believe, the pointy end was about a minute up the park from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Well run Beep!
    How did the team get on, do I gather from KC's post above that Bray won?
    Are the results online anywhere?

wrstan wrote: »
    Well run Beep!
    How did the team get on, do I gather from KC's post above that Bray won?
    Are the results online anywhere?

Haven't seen them online yet, but here they are, don't tell anyone ;)

8376503786_5d3d858122_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 69.3 [111.4]
    MTD: 104.4 [168.0]
    YTD: 104.4 [168.0]
    Races YTD: 1 [0 x Master's PB's]

Week 1! - 91 days to Rotterdam!
    No race report this week :D
    This is week 3 really, but with races in the first 2 weeks, it's the first week where I had an opportunity to follow the plan, which I largely did. The week was mainly centered around Q1 (Long) and Q2 (Intervals) and the rest was just to hit the weekly mileage target, so that was flexible enough.

Q2 - 5 x 1200 @ I with 3 min recoveries.
    The few races have loosened me up quite a bit and despite being pretty cold and leaving leggings and layers on, I flew through this session. Maybe a little quick in hindsight, but I would be used to shorter recoveries, but had loads left in the end - averaged 4:04 (5:28 pace).

Q1 - 12 steady, 5 @ MP, 3 E
    A freezing morning greeted me as the car read -1 in Ashford where I was meeting a clubie who would join me for 15 of this. We got rolling pretty quickly and we rattled off the first 12 @ 7:17 pace on an undulating 5.4 mile loop. Time for some MP miles which went better than expected and the next 5 went by @ 6:45 with a spread between 6:35 and 6:52 which was elevation driven, finished off with 3 at 7:20 pace for 7:10 on average for the 20. A little stiff afterwards, so taking the kids to the pool later and I'll sneak into the steam room for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wow, that's some long run to be able to do at this stage in the plan. You'll have to re-consider your marathon pace if you stay hitting sessions like those. It was bloody freezing this morning too. I wouldn't have fancied being out for two hours in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

very nice Q1,Q2 session this week, well done epsecially the marathon-paced miles.

8399227196_7f659c1ed0_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 64.3 [103.5]
    MTD: 168.7 [271.5]
    YTD: 168.7 [271.5]
    Races YTD: 1 [0 x Master's PB's]

Treadful! - 84 days to Rotterdam!
    Work, weather and life commitments tried to conspire against me this week, but at the end of the day I actually ran a few extra miles versus the plan. Bad timing on Tuesday, meant when I hit the track there was bodies everywhere, so didn't feel comfortable trying to avoid the juveniles while trying to hit my session. Went for a jog to find somewhere more suitable, but nothing jumped out at me and as my legs were feeling a bit tired I took this as a signal and just kept going for an easy trot.
    Weds was mad busy and that began 3 days where I was confined to the treadmill for various reasons, so onto the sessions.

Q2 - 4 x 2k @ Threshold
    This should have been another 5 x 1.2k @ I, but my treadie doesn't do my 5k pace, so this was a bit of improvisation and a step towards next weeks session. Put the treadie on 1% ran a 2k warm up at 12.5 km/h and then upped it to 15.5 km/h for the faster bits with 0.5k at 12.5 km/h for the recoveries. Grew into this session and would say the later intervals felt more comfortable than the first 2. Finished for a total of 8.8 miles @ 6:49 pace.

Q1 - 2M E, 2 x 2M @ T with 2min rec, 9.6M E
    Didn't have a great night's sleep last night, woke several times coughing and too warm, too cold, not happy. I was due to head out at 8:30am, but rolled over for an extended few hours in bed. The bonus was cuddles in bed with the kids and a family breakfast. This brought us into head to Bray to exchange stuff in Woodies territory, so I put on the gear so I could jump out on the way home.
    Willow Grove was the drop zone and as soon as I started running I thought bugger as I ran against a stiff breeze. The 2 x E came and went too quickly (7:19 pace) and just before Newtown I was straight into T pace. This was tough against the wind and dodging people and cars through the town, the reward on the far side of the town was a nice climb, 6:16 - 4 secs off pace, but about right for effort. 2nd one starts off flat and then down before finishing with a good stretch uphill again.
    The 2 min recovery flew by (7:43 pace) and I was into the next one.
    First one felt fine and although very exposed when I hit the N11, it was net downhill and this was 6:06. The wind feels stronger now as I start to tire and I'm climbing again, feels like 10k pace, only the watch says 6:24!! The course levels out and then I'm down the slip road and I pull it back to average 6:16 pace.
    Some mental maths in my head tells me I'm too close to house, so I do a uturn and head back under the motorway and head for the Newcastle road to finish off another 9.5miles at 7:26 pace.
    This is a great session really, looks easy on paper and I think if the 2 x 2 came towards the end it would be. But still having over an hour to run after you've emptied some of your glycogen makes you feel like you've run further than you actually have - my toughest 'easy' 9.5 miles without a doubt.
    A bit of coughing and spluttering this afternoon - an excuse for a hot whiskey ;)

8421172652_c62dbb5f3a_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 45.0 [72.5]
    MTD: 213.8 [344.0]
    YTD: 213.8 [344.0]
    Races YTD: 2 [0 x Master's PB's]

Man flu 1 BeepBeep 0 - 77 days to Rotterdam!
    Brief update: The cold took hold and headed south last week, which was perfect timing as I had to go to the UK on business, so rest and recovery were not part of the equation. I stubbornly kept running for a few days including knocking out my planned session on the hotel treadie as the surrounds were covered in snow, this was a horrible session, I was tired and not well and should have went to bed instead.
    Weds and Thurs I attempted to get out of bed early to hit the Gym, but I was now on 5 interrupted night's sleep so I had to relent to my first missed days in 56.
    Friday's treadie was ok and Sat it was nice to get outside for a few miles, but I was still coughing like a trooper.

Dungarvan 10:
    The OH spent Sat night convincing me not to run, I said I'd delay the decision until Sunday morning. I have a condition called Gilbert's syndrome which gives me jaundice like symptoms when I take medication so I stopped taking any medication from Friday to try and flush it from my system. I should've known myself as I walked around the kitchen looking for positive signs, but sometimes you just can't be told.
    I parked up near the start, went for a 2 mile warm up, followed by some strides and actually felt ok, so a few puffs from the inhaler and I made my way to the start and met up with the Slí / Bray boys (including Krusty and pronator). I thought I'd go with my original target of 61 - 62 and see how I felt.
    Miles 1 - 3 were ok and I went through in 6:06 pace although my breathing was labored. Mile 4 a little group went past and I responded to get in behind them, but I just felt wrecked, no energy and no motivation, actually felt like closing my eyes. Struggled through this mile before pulling the plug, I just felt sh1t, done some mental maths to figure out MPish would take me home under 65 and still salvage a decent session.
    A brief chat with tisnot after halfway who was coming through strongly and a quicker last mile to finish in 1:04:38 is all to report for the 2nd half.
    Not too concerned, will take an easy few days to recover and jump back into the plan later in the week.
    Great race, great grub and good to catch up with a few boardies afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Good sensible race BB and wise to take it back a notch when you were not feeling it. You have bigger fish to fry.

Must have passed you along the way at some point without realising. I forgot you were doing it.

Will catch up in Rotterdam anyway no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sensible option on pulling in the reigns in Dungarvan. You probably would have been best served staying at home due to sickness but alas we cannot help ourselves:)

blockic wrote: »
    Good sensible race BB and wise to take it back a notch when you were not feeling it. You have bigger fish to fry.

Must have passed you along the way at some point without realising. I forgot you were doing it.

Will catch up in Rotterdam anyway no doubt.

Nice run yourself - revising the RTM goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice run yourself - revising the RTM goal?

Looking like it alright, probably sub 3:10 is realistic now. Will revise training paces accordingly but I will know a lot more after Bohermeen in March.

8440306693_e6c6979e1d_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 84.4 [135.8]
    MTD (Jan): 258.4 [415.8]
    YTD: 298.1 [479.7]

Endurance! - 70 days to Rotterdam!
    Oh, I'm so not an endurance bunny! Still my highest mileage week and longest training run.
    I'm still not 100% better, so the decision was made to just make this a mileage week, not raise the hr too high and give some of those slow twitch fibers which I neglect a bit of a workout.
    I did do a revised mid-week session of 2 x 3M @ T with 5 mins recovery, this was tough in the wind and there's nowhere in Wicklow in the evenings where you can get a good stretch without hitting a few lumps and bumps. But done it I did, it was tough, the average pace was thereabouts with a little variability by mile. Was hacking for a bit afterwards as it reached some parts of my lungs that weren't quite ready to be reached yet.
    Rest of the mileage was pretty easy pace, several doubles, a nice mid-week 10 miler despite the wind in Shanganagh, which I had pretty much all to myself.
    Sunday's LSR came on the back of 6 days that was higher than my weekly average at 62, so I was a little tired going into this. Planned to do on my 8.6 mile loop of Ashford - Coynes Cross - Hunters Hotel, where I practiced taking a gel each time I passed the car. This was run at MP +60secs and should have been a doddle, but I actually find running long at this pace harder than running it faster. I was never in any real stress, but it's a discipline I need to practice more, particularly to get more time on my feet, just over 2hrs 50 today. It was breezy and it's a lumpy (not hilly) lap, I started pretty handy at 8ish min pace to let my brown bread and jam digest, before running 16 @ 7:49 pace and then finishing with 3 @ 7:30 pace. The last 3 felt the easiest :confused: even though I considered stopping after 2 laps, but with Donadea on the horizon that keep me moving.
    A lighter week mileage wise coming and hopefully add back in a higher percentage of quality work.

Looking at my log today I realized that on the 20th Jan this year I passed the 10,000 mile mark since I returned to running.
    Year|2008|2009|2010|2011|2012|2013
    Mileage|1,282|1,912|2,004|2,228|2,400|298

Here's to another 10k only 9,876 left to do :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Now I’m 42 and realise room for improvement is diminishing (hence the tread title) and I expect to plateau over the next year or 2, but before I get there I would like to obtain a 5k time that starts with 17 and a 6min 10k (37:20). I would like to run a Marathon (not this year) while I still have some pace in my legs so I’m thinking 2010, probably Dublin as that’s the easiest to prepare for and stick to a normal routine in the days leading up to it.

So, after 10,000 miles, how has it gone?

Looking at my log today I realized that on the 20th Jan this year I passed the 10,000 mile mark since I returned to running.

Whoop whoop! :D

RayCun wrote: »
    So, after 10,000 miles, how has it gone?

Edit: Thread title: Ever Expanding Targets
    The Here & Now:
    Now I’m nearly42 46 and realise room for improvement is diminishing (hence the tread title) and I expect to plateau over the next year or 2 5, but before I get there I would like to obtain a 5k time that starts with 17 below 17:30 and a 6min 10k (37:20). I would like to run a another Marathon (not this year) while I still have some pace in my legs so I’m thinking 2010 sub 3, probably not Dublin as that’s the easiest to prepare for and stick to a normal routine in the days leading up to it I like making things more difficult than they need to be.

:D

• Advertisement

8460325057_2d31b8f808_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 63.3 [101.9]
    MTD: 103.1 [165.8]
    YTD: 361.5 [581.6]

Pah! - 63 days to Rotterdam!
    Easily my worst week's running in a while, I'm a stubborn fecker and I don't do sickness or injury very well. This was about ticking boxes and with the exception of today's run where I had some company I was just going through the motions and enjoyment was not part of the equation.
    The pain in my head became progressively worse and my sinus infection tried to find various avenues to let me know who was boss, eye sockets, forehead, temples, gums all becoming victims as I fought back with sudafed, ibu, vit C, apple cider vinegar, sticking my head in a bucket of steam and tea tree oil - I tried it all! On Thursday I had to relent, went to Shanganagh after work and sat in the car for 5mins with my head in my hands hoping the pain would stop - it didn't and I just didn't have the will power to get changed in the cold and run through it, every run was following by a fit of coughing, but hey I'm here to tell the tale at the end of the week.
    There were some positives, I did get through my 2 JD Q sessions, although probably working a little harder to hit the numbers. Weds was 2 x 2.5M T
    + 1 x 1.5M T and I got these done at about 6:16 pace, I was happy to stop and chat with Abhainn for a few mins just after I finished the last T segment as I was truely fooked. Yesterday I had my 12 x MP sandwiched between 2 x E. Going out I had a plan B and a plan C which involved either running at MP +10 secs or taking a 3-4mins recovery after 6. Thankfully I stuck to Plan A.
    Left the house, ran out the new road, down past Abhainn's pain cave and once I crossed the main road it was game on. I knew before I left that I would have a harder 1st 7 miles, which would have a few bumps and although the wind had subsided to a breeze it was still noticeable running at sub 6:50 pace. The target was average 6:48 and I was prepared to get to 7 a little behind, knowing I should make that back up on the return.
    The out splits went 6:47, 6,51, 6:44, 6:51, 6:47, 6:45, 6:46, I was happy to keep them all a few seconds either side of the target and that gave me confidence to stick with the original plan. The return I focused on the same and it felt a little easier with the gentle breeze mainly behind, only one tough section where you climb over the motorway on the backroad to Hunters. The final 5 splits were 6:46, 6:47, 6:50, 6:43, 6:44 again minimal variation and some where I was putting the brakes on, hit an average of 6:46.5, job done and my snot rocket technique is nearing perfection.
    Today I planned an easy run, got a text from Fin was I up for a run which I sent onto Abhainn and before I knew I was in Ashford for an 'easy' with 2 of the club speedsters, so this was steady for me 11 miles at 7:10 pace with a few strides thrown in made for a solid weekend - 27.3 miles @ 7:03 pace.
    Next week I'll adjust Tuesday's Q2 session with Donadea approaching rapidly and hopefully put the sickness behind me.

Advertisement