Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You're an animal! I assume you're feeling better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You're an animal! I assume you're feeling better. :)

Not quite a bucket of steam awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I had a very similar run last year (2E-12MP-2E) when I was training for the DCM. Like yourself I was in the throws of a cold and wasn't feeling up to it in any shape or form. I stubbornly stuck to my plan and hit the planned pace although it was a struggle for sure. It's probably a thin line you're running but I knew after doing that session and feeling as bad as I did, that 26 of those when I was feeling fresh should be very doable. Anyway, anecdote over. You're training is going really well at the moment. You're hitting all your important marathon sessions and then some. You'll fly round Rotterdam at this rate.

I had a very similar run last year (2E-12MP-2E) when I was training for the DCM. Like yourself I was in the throws of a cold and wasn't feeling up to it in any shape or form. I stubbornly stuck to my plan and hit the planned pace although it was a struggle for sure. It's probably a thin line you're running but I knew after doing that session and feeling as bad as I did, that 26 of those when I was feeling fresh should be very doable. Anyway, anecdote over. You're training is going really well at the moment. You're hitting all your important marathon sessions and then some. You'll fly round Rotterdam at this rate.

Cheers - if it doesn't kill you and all that. Hopefully it's a case of just keeping it between the ditches for the next 9 weeks.

8481072075_938aa17bb0_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 63.7 [102.5]
    MTD: 166.8 [268.4]
    YTD: 425.2 [684.1]
    Races YTD: 3 [1 x Master's PB's]

Donedea 50kish! - 56 days to Rotterdam!
    This didn't go exactly as planned, but I'll salvage some positives before I finish. The lead up to Saturday went fine, I've still got a head cold and chesty after running. Took is relatively easy with mainly easy paced running, threw in a little tempo work on Tuesday, but scaled back on what was in the schedule. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with diet as I was treating this as an extended long run, so stuck to the routine, although my appetite was supressed with not feeling 100% but manged to get an extra high carb meal in on Friday.

Due to my stomach issues I'm detailing this a little more than normal so I can look back on it.

Woke to alarm at 6:45 and was out of the bed within 5mins after a little think. Got everyone else out of bed, got changed and then had breakfast.
    Breakfast consisted of half a bagel with vegimite, 3/4 bowl of porridge and a cup of coffee. Did find it hard to get the food down, mouth was dry so I had some water also. We were on the road by 7:50 and heading in the direction of Donedea Forest Pk a new destination for the BeepBeeps. Brought a bottle of Lucozade sport (raspberry) which I sipped on in the car, didn't have any more solids before the race.

Arrived in Donedea in plenty of time just before 9 bells, parked and collect the nice race pack within minutes. Went for a wander down to the finish/ aid area and bumped into several boardies on route. Back up to the carpark and quick chats with pronator, MCOS, RQ, Meno and Asimonov, spirts were high and everyone seemed ready for what lay ahead.

Started getting organised about 9:30 as a table, chairs, picnics and my water and gels were brought down and positioned near the aid area. Bumped into the rest of the gang here, Krusty, Emer911, Marthastew and Joe. Soon enough we were called to start.

The start was relaxed enough and the pace felt easy, although a little quick for the 4hr crew, but myself MCOS, Kentucky Pete and another maintained the 4:40 min/km pace, this was LSR pace and even leaving aside the conditions on the back of the course it felt like run all day pace. The first 6 laps were uneventful as we ran in step, lost MCOS after 4, hope the achilles clears quickly. Went through with 5 laps to go with 1:56 on the clock and all was good.
    Grabbed a water and a gel (High 5 iso) after the 1st lap, put the gel in my pocket. Drank maybe 100-150mls over 2k and then ditched it at the marathon clock.
    Had the gel at about 10k and didn't take water here.
    End of lap 3 grabbed a water with half a Zero X-treme tab in it (berry), again drank about 100-150mls before dropping at the clock.
    End of lap 4 grabbed a water and drank about 100mls.
    End of lap 5 - nothing.
    End of lap 6 grabbed a water and a gel, pocketed the gel and again drank about 100mls.
    Had the gel coming up to the back clock.
    Towards the end of lap 7 I was beginning to feel a little queasy, so eased off the pace a little to see could I run through it. Grabed a water with some jelly babies, tried to eat one but my mouth instantly dried so I spat it out. Sipped on my water, but the pace dropped as my stomach started churning.
    Went through 8 laps in 3:08, still thinking sub 4, made it up to Mrs BeepBeep and grabbed another water with Zero, she asked me was I ok as I was very pale looking. I walked a bit sipping my water and then started running. Every time I ran my stomach churned and I threw up about 5 times on this lap as I walked, jogged and vomited my way around the lap.
    Got to the end of 9 and Mrs BeepBeep tried to pull me out, but I grabbed a long sleeved top as I was starting to get cold and said I was finishing I was only sick - not injured. At this stage my 9 year old son (Luke) said he was coming with me, so I ended up walking the majority of the last lap. Not sure I could have gone much quicker on my own :( as I still threw up or dry reached many times on this lap.
    We got to the final corner and Abi my daughter came running up so the 3 of us ran across the finish line together and I was glad to be done.

Not sure of the reason behind the stomach issues, I had the same last week after my long run and had put it down to eating too quickly after the run as I was in a hurry. Maybe gels don't agree me, but never had a problem with the High 5's before. Haven't used the Zero's running before, but have had plenty of times on the bike without issue. Maybe I'm just not an endurance runner. 8 weeks to figure it out!

Positives:
    Still got a 40k + run under the belt and 3hrs + of running, all good for the marathon.
    Will recover pretty quickly from this with my extended warm down.
    Great race and super organisation by ultraman1 and his team.
    Always good to meet the boards gang, there's an unofficial bond there.
    Great to be part of 2 fantastic runs, Bazman and Marthastew, inspiring. Bazman shouldn't look that fresh after 31 x 6 min miles in the mud and Marthastew for effort and determination.
    Jury's out on whether I'll be back next year, don't tell MrsBeepBeep that it's even a consideration ;)

Easy few days anyway and then back into the plan, went out on the bike for 90mins this morning, bumped into Abhainn on route getting back into shape.

• Advertisement

"I was only sick - not injured.". Brilliant! :D;)

You're pretty dang tough, BeepBeep. And so is your 9 year old son, Luke, for witnessing his daddy perfect the run-puke technique. :o

8502400067_5090343640_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 80.0 [128.7]
    MTD: 246.8 [397.1]
    YTD: 505.2 [812.8]

A week of 2 halves! - 49 days to Rotterdam <gulp>!
    :D Recovered pretty well from Donadea as I had hoped
    :mad: Elephantoesis - the 2nd toe on my right foot swelled up and I'm limping around like a cripple. Don't know how it happened, maybe something residual from Donadea, but I applied HTFU treatment:
    1. Does it get worse the longer I run? No, it's sore for the 1st k or sore then eases out!
    2. Is it getting progressively worse as the days go on? No, there's marginal improvement!
    3. Is it a sharp pain? No, more of a throb!
    4. Is it making me limp or alter my stride? Not when running only when walking!
    Answer - keep calm, take some Ibu, tape your 3 toes together and carry on!
    (Disclaimer - taking advice from an OCD runner can seriously damage your health)

:D Another 80 mile week, starting off slow with 22.4 miles Mon - Wed, but ramping hard with 57.6 miles Thu - Sun.
    :( Didn't really stick to plan, need to add back in the quality next week.
    :D With 7 weeks to go, I've ran the same amount of miles now as I had up to my taper week last year.

So all in all a decent week, the key points: A solid MP run as my 2nd run on Friday, getting through 8 miles at 6:40 pace, 20 miles yesterday at a handy pace running through snow flurries and 12.7 junk miles this morning. Look up junk miles in the running dictionary and I should link to this run, the plan said 1 hr easy, the running side brain said stick 5 miles on that and it's 80 for the week. So off I went with my recovery Skins on, recovery shoes on (Inov-8 x255), Marathon Talk in the cans and a plan to run at about 7:45 - 8:00 pace. After 3 easy miles I bump into Joe heading out on a long one, so my next 4 easy miles were about 7 min pace. I turned around and gradually wound the pace back down, but still ended up running at 7:24 pace for 12.7 miles - recovery me arse!

Stick on a few miles next week through an couple of extra double days and 2 sessions faster than MP.

Couple of milestones for Feb.
    Last 7 days was 100.4 miles - can I claim that as a 100 mile week :confused::)
    Feb was 302.2 miles - 1st 300+ month :cool:

8523926745_30399b8207_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 80.7 [129.8]
    MTD: 25.3 [40.6]
    YTD: 585.9 [942.7]

End of Phase III and The Last Hurrah - 42 days to Rotterdam!

Target Phase III mileage - 387 miles
    Actual Phase III mileage - 417.2 miles

Wow time goes quickly, when you start a marathon schedule the date of the race is a distant blip on the horizon. But as the weeks tick by and the mileage and sessions ramp suddenly you're entering the final phase.
    Happy with the training so far and looking forward to moving into the sharpening phase, my top end speed is non-existent, but I am feeling stronger and my aerobic base has come on leaps and bounds. One big week left and then the mileage in this plan starts to ease back.

This week was a solid enough week although I was feeling fatigued with the increase in mileage. My daily average from Thu to Thu (8days) was 14 and my body was starting to creak and groan. The pads below my toes on each foot were tender and my calves, quads and gluts were showing signs of wear and tear. Moved my training onto grass and treadmill from Weds to Sat, my feet are recovering, but not 100% just yet. Also making sure I'm setting time aside for core work and foam rolling.

Tough threshold session on Tuesday as my 2nd run of the day, 4 x 2 mile averaging 6:20, would have liked a few seconds faster, but on my own in the dark with a few u turns and tight corners on each I was happy to run them consistently.
    Meant to run slightly longer this weekend, but my feet were quite sore Saturday morning, so I just hit the Murrough for an easy one in glorious sunshine and I have to say the soft sandy underfoot conditions soothed my sole soul.
    The Last Hurrah: The OH's b'day is next week, so I had a night away planned last night and I made the most of it and it's my last Mulligan before the big day. So today's run was an effort, with 5hrs sleep, a belly full of poor food choices, various alcoholic substances, lugs full of decibels and a full Irish as fuel I donned the runners to extract some penance. 12 miles were all that were needed to hit the weekly mileage target, so with a couple of easy miles either side of a steady 8 (6:23 pace) I ran 12 miles at an average MP (6:45) I have at least started to redress the balance.

Peak mileage week next week with a long one at the end.

8544844106_441a3f4e57_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 90.4 [145.4]
    MTD: 115.6 [186.1]
    YTD: 676.3 [1088.1]

Peak Week - 35 days to Rotterdam!

So the max mileage week in the plan came and went without too much fuss - my first 90+ calendar week. My left foot is still not 100%, but only causing me minor discomfort, I made a concious effort to stay off the road where possible and this combined with some post run icing is doing the trick.

JDQ2 was a 5 mile tempo on grass which was a deviation from the 2 x 3 in the plan, but fading light and wanting to stay off road drove this decision. Very happy with the session, took a few miles to find rhytym 6:18 - 6:21, but then closed out in 6:15 - 6:14 - 6:14, probably worth a few seconds under that on wet grass.

JDQ1 was a 22 mile run the plan was to run it on the grass in Shanganagh, but after half a mile my feet were soaking, so it was back to the car for a change of socks, shoes and plan.
    Ran about 6 on the tarmac path before a planned meeting with a clubie (who was going to run for an hour with me) so we headed out towards Shankill and Killiney and a beautiful hill from the Vico Road back up to Killiney Hill Road. Down through the bad lands of Ballybrack before heading back via the N11.
    Entering the Park again I swung by the car for a quick swig of water and a SIS gel, (these seem to be working for me and no stomach issues to report) said good bye to my clubie, hit the tarmac to let the gel settle and thought let's finish this out at MP.
    The 1k loop on the far side of Shanganagh is one I'm familiar with and is a good simulation for Rotterdam - flat with only minor variations. This allowed me to concentrate on form and finding my MP rhythm. The target was 6:45 and apart from one minor concentration lapse I was on the right side of that mark, keep the HR in the 151 - 153 range.
    6:42 - 6:42 - 6:38 - 6:44 - 6:47 - 6:39 - 6:38 - 6:33 (Av 6:41).
    Have to say the best I've felt on a long run and a good confidence booster.
    Closed the day out later on with 4 easy for a Marathon Saturday.

Mileage starts to taper down now, with the focus on delivering the sessions - all is good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great long run yesterday BB, nice MP at the end,you're going well and should hit a great number in Rotterdam based on that.

Your days to go checker is much scarier looking than 5 weeks! 35 days!:eek:

blockic wrote: »
    Great long run yesterday BB, nice MP at the end,you're going well and should hit a great number in Rotterdam based on that.

Your days to go checker is much scarier looking than 5 weeks! 35 days!:eek:

Time is closing in fast alright, how's the injury?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Time is closing in fast alright, how's the injury?

Injury pretty much gone thankfully, dry needling seems to have sorted it. Just a bit bruised now but nothing worth noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I went for an MP run on that self same 1k loop in Shanganagh Park just a week ago. It's flat but the slight incline seems less and less slight with each passing lap. I like the surface though. The newly laid tarmac is much more forgiving on the feet than your general concrete path. It might have been a good choice for you if your foot isn't feeling 100%.

Out of interest, I had the loop mapped out at 0.98km on MapMyRun. Do you have a figure from your Garmin to compare that to?

I went for an MP run on that self same 1k loop in Shanganagh Park just a week ago. It's flat but the slight incline seems less and less slight with each passing lap. I like the surface though. The newly laid tarmac is much more forgiving on the feet than your general concrete path. It might have been a good choice for you if your foot isn't feeling 100%.

Out of interest, I had the loop mapped out at 0.98km on MapMyRun. Do you have a figure from your Garmin to compare that to?

The club have it wheeled and it's just under the k, so that sounds about right.

8565193638_f9dac74b9a_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 72.6 [116.8]
    MTD: 188.2 [302.9]
    YTD: 748.9 [1204.9]

Quick Update - 28 days to Rotterdam!
    • 20% step back week
    • Body creaking
    • Foot had improved after 3 days off road, back to square 1 after yesterday's 20
    • Tuesday's session was tougher in reality than on paper
    • Adjusted yesterday's session, was wrecked heading out, ran the easy section a bit too fast, so the end was done at MP, cut it a little short as my groin and hammer tightened.
    • Late one last night, was a good boy.
    • Today was a bit a slog, foot sore, groin playing up
    • Will walk to the parade
    • Stay off road as much as poss next week
    • May do the Wicklow HM next Sunday, tough course will use as a training session and tag miles on.

Is your marathon in 4 weeks? On that Saturday? Or Sunday?

Is your marathon in 4 weeks? On that Saturday? Or Sunday?

It's on the Sunday, I'll be nice and re-hydrated come Monday evening so I'll be able to put my feet up Monday, sit down, grab a few beers and read tales of heroics from the east coast.

It's on the Sunday, I'll be nice and de-hydrated come Monday

This is what you meant! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    This is what you meant! ;)

Oh yeah that 2hr flight could do it :P

• Advertisement

8585304717_e316f83be4_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 51.2 [82.3]
    MTD: 239.4 [385.2]
    YTD: 800.0 [1287.3]
    Races YTD: 4 [1 x Master's PB's]

Going, Going, Groin - 21 days to Rotterdam!
    This week was about keeping it between the ditches, during my session on Tuesday my groin went again, so I eased off and cut it short.
    Took a rest day the following day, my 1st non-running day since the day after Donadea, but spent a good chunk of time each evening foam rolling, stretching, strenghtening and icing. Got back to about 90% by today.

Wicklow Half Marathon
    So I had a 15MP session in the plan as part of a 19, so the timing of this race suited, plus after a sub-optimal HM and 10M I needed a bit of a pointer to make sure I was on track.
    Wicklow would be a challenge with its hills, throw in some wind, real feel temperatures of -6 degrees, a dodgy groin and a last minute decision to change to a different marathon shoe (more to follow), this could go one way or the other.

After my recent metatarsal pad injury I was finding the forefront of the ST5's a bit tough. I swapped the insoles for ones with gel cushioning, this worked, but took the weight up from 278gms to 336gms and I felt the extra weight at the end of last week's long run. A text to Damo in AK and a few emails to the trusted few, I was on my way to Bray yesterday to try on the Kinvara 3's. The 10's were swimming on me, the 9.5 were a little snug and there was no 9.75 option :P. I opted for the 9.5 as I was wearing trail socks so hoped lighter race socks would work out.

Love racing so close to the house, get ready at your leisure, jog down to the start and away you go. It was bloody cold out, so I opted for a hat and gloves and a top under the club singlet, also wore my heavier CWX shorts for added protection. Met up with Abhainn at the Gaol and we jogged to the start where we picked up Pronator. A good crowd had gathered for both races, I heard 1,000 entrants.

Knowing the course my plan was to run even effort for the first 10k, get to the high point of the course in decent shape and then try and push on from there.
    My first 3 flatish miles averaged 6:20 as we looped around some backroads in the town before hitting the Murrough and out towards Rathnew. I let the race develop around me and I was in 13th place as we hit the first climb.
    The focus now for the next 3.2 miles was to keep the HR in check and I gained some and lost some places. Mile 4 has a double climb +49 mts of gain and zero loss according to the Garmin, this was my slowest of the race at 6:55. The first half of mile 5 was runable so I strided out here but could feel the groin so concentrated on a shorter faster cadence instead, we then swing up the cliff face which I'm familiar with as it runs past the back of my house. My support crew are waiting for me at the top with a water and gel, so I chuck my hat and gloves, grab the water (2 sips) gel and inadvertently one of Abi's gloves :D. Mile 5 6:36.
    8585449197_276bb8aa36_o.jpg
    Mile 6 was mainly up again, out the Marlton Road and apart from the groin holding me back a bit I'm feeling strong aerobically and I take 2 places here - 6:34 [Avg 6:31].
    Mile 7 starts with an uphill kicker, but I know the course is about to get more favourably. I run strongly up the hill taking another place and make sure I keep the momentum over the crest. Realise I still have the gel in my hand and don't feel the need for it so chuck it at one of the Inbhear Dee ladies. Opportunity now to let the legs turnover on a runable downhill section and I get mile 7 back to 6:13.
    Mile 8 starts uphill again, not a surprise for me having done many miles on these roads, but tough for those not familiar I'm sure. But it's over soon enough and there's a nice downhill section again as the coast comes into sight - 6:18.
    Mile 9 takes you down to the Brittas Bay road where you take a sharp left, boom headwind, just when I was starting to roll. I'm on my todd and there's no shelter, only thing to do is to get the head down and get this over with as quickly as possible - 6:15.
    Mile 10 is the flatest mile since we left the town, but it sure doesn't feel it into the wind, I know we've a few rollers to come, so I'm focusing on form and a nice forward lean - 6:31.
    Mile 11 and my face has gone numb with the cold wind, Billy Porter tells me I'm 9th and the obligatory the others in front are tiring :pac:, but there a good 50mts+ ahead. We're back climbing and I know this has a double bite, groin is tight, but I'm keeping it under control by applying a bit of pressure from time to time - 6:37.
    Mile 12 I'm tiring a little, but the breathing is fine and one of the runners in a blue top ahead is falling off the back so that perks me up - 6:20.
    Mile 13 has a rolling 1st half before a pretty slick 2nd half, through the S bends I glance behind and see someone with their race face on, not today amigo. I'm hoping off the road now as we crest the last hill, hips out, heels out as I crank up the pace - 5:43 :D
    The end, I'm closing behind the runner in blue now as we have to navigate some tricky tight turns, I'm about to take him as we merge with the 10k runners and I need to check on the tight finish, accelerate again, but probably don't quite catch him - it was close as I crash over the line and into the barriers which were a bit to close to the finish line. Stopped my watch after untangled myself at 1:23:53, official should be a few seconds lighter.
    Delighted with the run, ran to plan, had 84-85 in my head knowing the course, I think it's easily a minute quicker on a flatter course with less wind. Finshed with a 5.3 mile warm down to bring up 20 for the day and 800 for the year.
    Happy with shoes, although they felt tight around the heel but between warm up and warm down I ran 20 straight out of the box with no hot spots, not something I'd normally do, but I had to rule them in or out.
    Iced the groin and stretched when I got home, followed by an epsom salts bath. Will take it easy for a few days to recover then I've my 1st of 3 planned physio sessions from Weds morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Nice report and even nicer time and position, savage running.

I'd like another stab at this race next year now that I know the roads. There was a lot of up and downs which you were rightly able to exploit to your advantage as a local. If I had of known that the last mile contained so much downhill I would have attempted to give the last few miles a bit more welly! Good race all round.

statss wrote: »
    Nice report and even nicer time and position, savage running.

+ 1. Great read and nice result on the tough course. Looks like it has come just at the right time for ya. Good news on the groin, a few more handy days and physio trips should sort it out. At least you can start to ease off a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Great running and finishing strong too, good sign, taper time???

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Great running and finishing strong too, good sign, taper time???

This week was a little light, if the groin plays ball I'll go up next week and then 2 weeks taper.

8606618208_d89c30ae42_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 65.0 [104.6]
    MTD: 304.4 [489.8]
    YTD: 865.0 [1391.8]
    Races YTD: 4 [1 x Master's PB's]

Taper Time - 14 days to Rotterdam!

A solid pre-taper week. Body recovered pretty quickly from the HM, but I stuck to the planned 3 days easy running.
    Had a physio session on Weds and I'm in reasonable nick, worked on my troublesome areas (mostly on the left), groin, quads, gluts, ITB, calves and lower back. Good news is that the groin is just a minor strain from being over worked, so need to keep an eye on that.
    Thursday's session was great, felt sharp on my 2 x (2E +3T) + 2E and ran the T sections @ 6:14 and 6:12 pace, for 12 miles @ 6:45 pace.
    Again yesterday's 18 miler with 6 miles (11 - 16) @ MP (6:40) went by without a hitch, just the groin was tired again on the climb back to the house, I'm trying to avoid hills, which can be difficult around here.

Next week sees the miles drop to 60% of peak, with a measly 54 coming up, and a cheeky mid-week 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

MP (6:40)

I'll be aiming for something similar so I might see you en route. Your training has gone great - easy part left now!

kaymin wrote: »
    I'll be aiming for something similar so I might see you en route. Your training has gone great - easy part left now!

Cheers, I'll be hard to miss in a bright orange Bray top, on the other hand it's the National colour so I may just blend in!

Psst....happy birthday!!! I hope you've had a great day of being spoiled. :)

• Advertisement

Psst....happy birthday!!! I hope you've had a great day of being spoiled. :)

Think I've put back on half the weight I lost :(

Advertisement