Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wicklow 5k Championships

Another race close to the house and a day off work to boot.
    Went out in the morning with Luke (9) my son, I think I'm finally beginning to inspire him away from electronic gadgets, he was the instigator in going for this run. Took him up to the local GAA pitch so we could run at our leisure. he done quite well, 9:46 for the first mile, 200m walk and 8:56 for the 2nd. Day 2 tomorrow.

The race, I was up at the garden center on the course earlier in the afternoon and there was a nice stiff breeze blowing in from the direction of the coast and this was introducing a nice chill factor. So having run this course in similar conditions previously I knew the 1st half would be tough, but you get your reward back on the return.

Headed to registration about 30mins before the planned start time, met up with the Bray crew and it was great to see that this would have decent numbers in it. Went on a 2k warm up and threw in several strides and pick ups. I really didn't know what to expect from the race, it's been a long time since I done any 5k work apart from the odd strides at the end of runs. I wasn't planning on going eyeballs out with the marathon in 11 days, groin was about 95% and my troublesome left knee was letting me know it was still there (taper mind games) so sub 18 felt about the right level of effort.

We were called to off and when the traffic settled the gun sounded and Neil who must have been a wanted man in a previous life as he took off like he stole something! I settled in behind the next group feeling pretty comfortable, 3:33.
    2nd k I'm not concentrating fully and just fall off the back of the group and start getting exposed to the wind, I focus on form and make a few efforts to get back, but it's tough against the wind so I just settle in to a bit of work - 3:40.
    3rd k and 600mts + of this are on the most exposed part of the course, the turning point is a welcome sight and I can see Neil striding ahead, with Krusty and Abhainn chasing him down, they in turn are followed by 2 tight groups - 3:44 and I think there's a decent time gone but try and pick it up.
    4th k I'm feeling bouncy and running pretty smoothly and starting to make progress on the group in front, but they are just too far ahead - 3:25.
    Last k I start to crank it up, everyone has the same idea on this wind assisted slightly downhill finish, I'm closing but not fast enough. The clock comes into sight and I see 17:18 and think holy fook and sprint through the finish as the numbers change from 17:29 to 17:30, stopped the Garmin at 17:31 after I prevented myself from hitting the next runner in the chute so it's going to be a tight thing. It's a Master's PB anyway, previous was 17:40 and if the timing gods are on my side I may just sneak under the 17:30.

Happy overall, didn't overly push myself, AvgHR remained pretty static from the 2nd k 166-167 and my max was 170, 8-10 under what I'd normally hit for a 5k. More to come later in the year from 5k specific training, or maybe the benefits come from more miles maybe coupled with some target races.
    Used it as a bit of a Marathon gear dry run also, wore the Kinvara 3's again, they'll be packed in the Marathon bag next week, Under Armour compression top (if it's chilly), new club singlet and Skins A200's. Hadn't found the right socks up until yesterday, but came across a pair of North Face running socks in TKMaxx of all places, worked well last night, will try them on a longer run at the weekend and hopefully we're sorted.
    Went on a rather nippy warm down with the speedsters to finish off a good evening's running and a bit of banter back at the school waiting for the results that weren't - stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Under Armour compression top (if it's chilly)

Great race BB only a few days before the goal. I might run a 5km too on Saturday but will only do it at MP to stay on the side of caution.

I was planning on just a t-shirt all along on race day. You reckon it could be cold enough for a compression top?

blockic wrote: »
    Great race BB only a few days before the goal. I might run a 5km too on Saturday but will only do it at MP to stay on the side of caution.

I was planning on just a t-shirt all along on race day. You reckon it could be cold enough for a compression top?

I wore a tech T under my singlet for the HM and felt it was too loose and potential there for unwanted chaffing.
    The one I got is a breathable tight fitting T, so it's lightweight, more to have an extra layer if needed, some parts of the course are exposed if it's windy and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome job!! You should be well set for the marathon both physically and mentally. And thanks for bringing up you UnderArmor compression top - I hadn't even given a thought to packing one for Boston but I think I will "just in case". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nice time BB. Proves once again that its all about the mileage. Must try it myself one of these days.

• Advertisement

8627574422_de269b0b18_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 54.0 [86.9]
    MTD: 54.0 [86.9]
    YTD: 919.0 [1478.7]
    Races YTD: 5 [2 x Master's PB's]

As Good As It Gets - 7 days to Rotterdam!

Everything is beginning to slot into place nicely, my groin and knee are starting to work themselves back close to 100% and nothing else is rearing it's ugly head. Had a rub down Thurs evening and that confirmed the same.
    This week had 2 workouts, the 5k and a brucey bonus from the official results - 17:28 and a 12 sec Master's PB :D. 2 x 3 @ threshold yesterday which went grand, took a bit of time to get into my running, but once there this was relatively comfortable. Everything else was easy aerobic.
    Weight has dropped to 68.6kg, 4.2kg down from Jan and my lowest for 16 years, expect to be mid 69's on race day.
    Some work travel next week, but only to the UK, disrupts a little but I've found a track close by to do my moderate 4 x 1.2k @ T apart from that it's easy runs and strides.

On Reflection

This is the most consistent I've trained in years.
    • 203 days in the making
    • 8 days off (4 planned, 3 sickness, 1 injury)
    • 902 base miles
    • 919 marathon specific miles
    • Average 8.79 miles per calendar day
    • 14 races, 37 sessions
    • 7 x 20 mile + runs
    • 81 days of 10 miles or more
    1 taper week left :eek:

• 203 days in the making
    • 902 base miles
    • 14 races, 37 sessions
    • 7 x 20 mile + runs

Jaysus, if that work doesn't pay off, nothing will!! Serious training, very impressive. Just watching Paris, that's us next week! :eek:

I'm so excited for you! I will think all good thoughts for you this week. ;):)

You reckon it could be cold enough for a compression top?

:rolleyes: That's one less item to worry about anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck on the weekend, have a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Dom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

• 203 days in the making
    • 902 base miles
    • 14 races, 37 sessions
    • 7 x 20 mile + runs
    Only one thing to be added to that list over the weekend is a nice new marathon pb, best of luck not that you need it.

BeepBeep.....the very, very best to you at the weekend. Your training has been topnotch and you are in awesome shape to have the run of your life. Your recent race escapades should have all doubts of your awesome potential banished to a far away place, so with that in mind....two things....

1) Own it like you've never owned anything ever before, and...
    2) Stay away from the orange juice.

:D

Looking forward to your result and your report. I'll be following you on the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dory Dory wrote: »
    BeepBeep.....the very, very best to you at the weekend. Your training has been topnotch and you are in awesome shape to have the run of your life. Your recent race escapades should have all doubts of your awesome potential banished to a far away place, so with that in mind....two things....

1) Own it like you've never owned anything ever before, and...
    2) Stay away from the orange juice.

:D

Looking forward to your result and your report. I'll be following you on the day. :)

What she said:)^^^^^
    looking forward to an epic race report with an even more epic result:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good luck Dom!!
    That sub 3 is long overdue. Go nail it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck on Sunday. You've put in some serious training over the last few months so fingers crossed for sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

JFDI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Youve done the training BB, go and get the time. Conservative first half - you have the speed. Enjoy the race, wish I was running......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Best of luck at the weekend BB, hope you nail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck Sunday, you'll knock it out of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

good luck on sunday,,though u dont need it....a

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Have a great run Sunday Dom! Waiting for the report already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Tough break Dom. I've been there and know how you feel. Chin up and put it behind you. Enjoy ditching a schedule for a while and enjoying running for running sake.

So the Rotterdam report is still on hold, some processing still to be done. But there is one way to get over a bad race and that's to get straight back in saddle, albeit at a shorter distance.

Wicklow Fit4Life 3k - 9:59 - Master's PB

This really was a lastminute.com, I had only run 5 odd up on Carrick Tues evening since Rotterdam and really only decided to do this 10 mins before the race. Was over helping anyway and after the set up the plan was to go for a gentle warm up, a few strides and if I felt loose race.

Conditions weren't great, sporadic showers, blustery winds and a bit of a chill in the air, but after a few extra strides I was in the mood to give this a lash.

Got out hard and settled in behind Timmaay and one of the Juniors, first k was slighty downhill and mainly against the wind. I was surprised to be still in 3rd after 600mts, but a Sliabh Buidhe runner came through strongly going past the playground and then ran wide as we nearly collided on the corner, 3:17 came and went quickly.
    Little bit of work now on the 2nd k as 3 of us enter the 2nd field again in close proximity and narrowly avoid another coming together. I get past the SB runner on this straight and start closing on Timmaay, the Junior is out of sight at this stage - 3:25 as we finish the large lap.
    Last k and I'm breathing hard, but pushing Timmaay (which I can hardly believe), but every time I draw level, he has a little burst of pace to keep me at bay. I get level again with about 400 to go, but it's only a trigger for Timmaay to drop the hammer and me in the process, I can't respond, but I know sub 10 is close as I round the bend and see 9:52, 9:53,.....9:58 as I throw myself over the line, stopping my watch at 9:59.82 shortly afterwards, I 'd have a nervous wait for the official results.
    Official: 9:59 :D:D
    Race position 3rd :D
    1st Master :D

Wow. That's one way to get back in the saddle! Super race and time. Just talking about it the other day. Knock Sunday in the bin. One of those freak days.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Wow. That's one way to get back in the saddle! Super race and time. Just talking about it the other day. Knock Sunday in the bin. One of those freak days.

+1 to that

Great to see the smilies out BB! And fantastic performance last night. Sorry I wasn't able to make it there to witness it in person.

Congrats on the sub 10....and nice to see your post have 4 of these => :D

;)

I'll get to talk about Rotterdam at some stage, in the mean time I'll bag a few master's PB's and work my way through as much of the 10 round numbers challenge as possible.

BHAA RTE 5 Mile
    I've done this race a few times before, 2009 (31:25) and 2010 (29:37), so it's always nice to check progress. Although the plan heading to this wasn't eyeballs out, this changed in the 1st 400mts.

Got an easy warm up in, plus a few strides and felt pretty loose and relaxed before the off. Chatted to a few familiar faces before we got called to the start.
    Having done this race before I knew the start could be a bit of a melee with a narrow gate to navigate shortly after 100mts, so my plan was to get a fast start and then relax into my planned sub 6min pace and just tick a sub 30 box.

The start was hectic, but I got a decent one and once through the gate I was felling good and just went with the flow.
    I'm using course splits as there's about 20 corners on the course and my Garmin splits are all over the shop.
    I'm feeling pretty relaxed and settle into a group of peeps that I normally wouldn't expect to be rubbing shoulders with, namely Tom O'Connor a very decent Master and Orla Drumm who would eventually chick me :p. Mile 1 is a pretty slick 5:36 and I'm running close to 5k pace, but feck it!
    Mile 2 and the pace still feels fine the group splits up and I hang on the back of the 2nd group - 5:42.
    Mile 3 and I'm starting to work hard, I feel the breathing increase and the HR is noticeably higher, a small group come past, I tag on for a while, but can't stick with them - 5:47.
    Mile 4 and I'm swimming in lactic, I've probably ran 5k in about 17:36 and I've nearly 2 miles running left, I'm playing with pace and stride length a bit to help flush the legs as sweat begins to leak from every pore. Hold it together somewhat together for a 5:50.
    Mile 5 I go looking for a lift in pace, but it's not there, I'm maxed out and this is about survival and switching off. I haven't been passed or passed anyone in about a mile (apart from back markers) but I'm maintaining the gap to Tom in front. 2nd last corner I feel like I'm lifting the pace, through the gate one last time and Tom is closer, but not close enough as I slowly increase the pace, my kick is AWOL - 5:47.
    I missed judged the finish, I thought it was further around the corner, seen 28:4X, stopped my watch at 28:46.
    Walked a bit, attempted a puke, had a drink of water, crouched on the grass, got myself together, warm down followed by the obligatory cuppa and brack. Happy Out.
    Official time 28:42
    Place: 26th
    M45: 3rd
    36 sec Master's PB, 55 sec course PB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'll get to talk about Rotterdam at some stage, in the mean time I'll bag a few master's PB's and work my way through as much of the 10 round numbers challenge as possible.

BHAA RTE 5 Mile
    I've done this race a few times before, 2009 (31:25) and 2010 (29:37), so it's always nice to check progress. Although the plan heading to this wasn't eyeballs out, this changed in the 1st 400mts.

Got an easy warm up in, plus a few strides and felt pretty loose and relaxed before the off. Chatted to a few familiar faces before we got called to the start.
    Having done this race before I knew the start could be a bit of a melee with a narrow gate to navigate shortly after 100mts, so my plan was to get a fast start and then relax into my planned sub 6min pace and just tick a sub 30 box.

The start was hectic, but I got a decent one and once through the gate I was felling good and just went with the flow.
    I'm using course splits as there's about 20 corners on the course and my Garmin splits are all over the shop.
    I'm feeling pretty relaxed and settle into a group of peeps that I normally wouldn't expect to be rubbing shoulders with, namely Tom O'Connor a very decent Master and Orla Drumm who would eventually chick me :p. Mile 1 is a pretty slick 5:36 and I'm running close to 5k pace, but feck it!
    Mile 2 and the pace still feels fine the group splits up and I hang on the back of the 2nd group - 5:42.
    Mile 3 and I'm starting to work hard, I feel the breathing increase and the HR is noticeably higher, a small group come past, I tag on for a while, but can't stick with them - 5:47.
    Mile 4 and I'm swimming in lactic, I've probably ran 5k in about 17:36 and I've nearly 2 miles running left, I'm playing with pace and stride length a bit to help flush the legs as sweat begins to leak from every pore. Hold it together somewhat together for a 5:50.
    Mile 5 I go looking for a lift in pace, but it's not there, I'm maxed out and this is about survival and switching off. I haven't been passed or passed anyone in about a mile (apart from back markers) but I'm maintaining the gap to Tom in front. 2nd last corner I feel like I'm lifting the pace, through the gate one last time and Tom is closer, but not close enough as I slowly increase the pace, my kick is AWOL - 5:47.
    I missed judged the finish, I thought it was further around the corner, seen 28:4X, stopped my watch at 28:46.
    Walked a bit, attempted a puke, had a drink of water, crouched on the grass, got myself together, warm down followed by the obligatory cuppa and brack. Happy Out.
    Official time 28:42
    Place: 26th
    M45: 3rd
    36 sec Master's PB, 55 sec course PB.
    Nice running well done

Advertisement