Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Wow, brilliant, delighted for you buddy, your an inspiration to everyone that if you persevere, it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Abhainn wrote: »

2:54:xx London 2014?
    a bit soft?.....well don don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done delighted with that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    No point in sitting around moping, I can't changed what happened, only learn from it - would be a shame not to put the training to some use.

Well you certainly done that. Delighted for you Dom, even more so that you came back fighting and nailed what your training deserved. Enjoy some nice craft beers after that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

When I met you in Ashford you were talking about a 5k on the track in Greystones, was it July or August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done Dom,

Great performance and report. Fantastic 5-mile PB as well. I'll be using your results for inspiration as I'm trying to recover from injury.

aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great result to banish those demons Beepbeep!
    I'm choosing to look upon it as the start of a chain of revenge from all us Rotterdam DNF'ers...hoping I manage to give a serious thrashing to Portumna in June! I'm sure MrStew and Blockic will take similar inspiration too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one, delighted for you. Well done and textbook style too. Cheers for the report. Congrats on the sub3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Get in!!! In your face Rotterdam. Really felt the emotion in your report over the last couple miles. The experience of your last two marathons really made today all the sweeter! Delighted for you.

I hope someone managed to get a pic of that fist pump! :D

Doesn't seem quite so dramatic in print :pac:
    8742960883_1ace4a7984_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem quite so dramatic in print :pac:

Haha, great shot all the same!! Hope your enjoying your post marathon recovery/eating/drinking! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Fantastic shot Dom! That's definitely one for the scrap book. But way more fantastic is the result, a great peak on top of a fantastic season (so far!) - well earned and definitely worth a few good fist pumps for sure!
    I was delighted to hear of it after a season of mega training and racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Well done, Dom!

that's a great result, and a great report.

a summer of sloth and beer-guzzling can now be enjoyed :)

First post Marathon run this evening over in Shanganagh with the club, ran most with wrstan. 40 odd minutes all in @ about 7:40 pace.
    Body in reasonable nick, groin still tight, calves a little tender and a bit of an arch strain, but nothing that I'm concerned about.
    On the bike tomorrow.

Double bike mute today.
    1. 06:30, 34.4k @ 27 km/h
    2. 17:20, 35.1k @ 30.4 km/h
    Getting back to normal, but I'll know for sure after Abhainn drags me up the mountains tomorrow.

Back on the bike this morning for a nice spin with Abhainn.
    Started at Wicklow and headed for Kilmac via Ashford and Newtown, took some time to get moving into a nice stiff northerly breeze, plus my backside was a bit tender from the double spin yesterday!
    4k climb from Kilmac up past Rocky Valley, before a nice fast undulating section into Roundwood itself. Parted ways with JC at the far end of the town as he would continue for 70k or so, while I took a nice spin around the reservoir before heading back towards Ashford.
    57k, 2:02, 28km/h

Late afternoon 40mins easy from the house, felt fine apart from the suicide flies that ended up in my eyes, nose, mouth and any other exposed orifice!
    Body feels recovered, just feel a little lethargic, so will stick to the 14 days easy plan.
    5.4 miles @ 7:29 pace.

Hello sunshine my old friend!
    The plan 1hr as you like it.
    We were on the road early doors to collect the newest member of the Horan, an 8 week old Bichon Frise. After navigating my way through bad waters of Salins and Clane we were suddenly in the arsehole of Kildare.
    Everything checked out and soon we were on our way home via pet stores for supplies and the like.
    Got chucked out at Coyne's Cross, put the watch on time of day and ran as the body seen fit. It was great to feel the heat of the sun warming my bones from the outside in and the gentle breeze made this just perfect for running. At halfway as a few beads of sweat trickled down my brow I guessed this was a little faster than easy, but it felt great, so I just went with the flow.
    Encountered several personalty types on bikes, the over friendly, the knowing nod and cyclist are better than runners type, who probably wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire, nonetheless they still got a smile and wave from me, hopefully they can work through their own personal issues.
    8.33 miles in 1hr @ 7:12 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

You should know by now, us runners only borrow the roads from our more illustrious biking friends;) especially the fast coynes cross section.

Really hope Joe reads this:D

Pronator wrote: »
    You should know by now, us runners only borrow the roads from our more illustrious biking friends;) especially the fast coynes cross section.

Really hope Joe reads this:D

We went cycling tro Newtown yesterday, but all was quite, I thought it was the Town that never sleeps?

Gentle run after work on the beautiful surface that is Shanganagh.
    Bumped into a clubie which kept the pace down where it needed to be, so it was nice to shoot the breeze and forget about what I was doing.
    Ended too soon but I stuck to the prescribed 6 miles @ 7:54 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ooooo....a cute little adorable sweet Bichon??? Awww.....boy or girl?? Name?? Puppy breath?? Congrats!! That breed supposedly does not shed. I bet the kids are over the moon. :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ooooo....a cute little adorable sweet Bichon???
    Awww.....boy or girl?? Girl
    Name?? CoCo
    Puppy breath?? Oh yeah and the dog
    Congrats!! Thanks
    That breed supposedly does not shed. Abi has alergies so that narrowed the decision
    I bet the kids are over the moon. You better believe it!:D

21103_10151391920716356_686509170_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You need to take out them dandylions from their root, Dom, or they'll take over. Job for you for the weekend:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You need to take out them dandylions from their root, Dom, or they'll take over. Job for you for the weekend:)

Just going to feed the mutt Weedol and then work on her accuracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Throw some Ronseal varnish in with that and you'll have the decking done too;)

A very nice breed by the way, we have a Bichon/****zu mix and she's a treat with the kids, loads of personality, best of luck with your addition.

Tues: Over and back to the UK, 17hrs door to door equaled no run, but a productive day.
    Weds: lunch time treadie, easy enough 5 miles in 38mins.

Thurs: Fit4Life 5k Pacing Duty
    Rocked down about 45 mins before the start to assist with registration, got the rest of the pacers sorted and then jogged to the start.
    I was giving the new Inov-8's a spin with a gentle introduction as we gathered in blustery conditions with the weather trying it's best to rain.
    Decent crowd turned out and after some pre-race formalities we were ready for the off.
    This was going to be even effort rather than even pace, with the wind mainly against on the way out and a few sneaky climbs here and there.
    Nice to have a different view back down the field and watched and noted some over exuberance in the 1st k. This k was against the wind with about a 300mt climb, I clocked 4:05 which I felt was on the money.
    Started passing a few now as we hit a sheltered section, shout encouragement as I glide through and make use of the downhill on the far side to hit 3:55.
    Running up towards the turning point I'm encouraging as many as possible to stay with me and advise them to take shelter behind me, meet the pointy end coming the opposite way and roar at one of the juniors that I better not pass him - he goes on to beat his Dad for the 1st time :D - 4 mins even.
    Bit of work on the 4th k as a few push on, I try and focus on effort rather than pace, willing to give up a few secs, know the last 400 is fast. I'm looking behind now trying to drag a few more with me - 4:03.
    Ease off now to get a chap slipping back closer to me, he responds and I get him on my shoulder, get him to stay to right and we cross the bridge and the more exposed part of the course. I wind it up with him and then ease off as he flys towards his target. I look behind now and start giving AJ some abuse, he does respond and comes in shortly behind me - 3:53 for 19:55, job done, not quite marathon pacing but helping someone achieve a target is always satisfying.

About 5 miles in total.

Forgot about shoes, well actually did forget about the shoes, very light, very comfortable. There was a section at the start though on the bike lane where some light gravel had gathered, these don't offer much protection against rough surfaces.

Finished off the week with 2 double digit runs to get close to my target of 40, ran out of time Friday, so that was an unplanned rest day.

Sat 12 Miles, with 8 @ 6:40. Avg 6:55
    Hadn't planned to run steady for this, but when the 3rd mile started on a bit of downhill and the pace slipped below 7 mins per mile I just left it there to celebrate the wonderful day it was. Eased off for the last 2 miles.

Sun 10 Miles easy.
    A nice early morning down in Brittas with the gang and the mutt led to an opportunity to back home. Beautiful a few days like this during the Rotterdam schedule and it could have been a different story on the day.

Continuing the reverse taper next week with a target of 50, no sessions planned for a few weeks until I've a few 50's under my belt.

Running Totals
    WTD: 38.4 [61.8]
    MTD: 141.2 [227.2]
    YTD: 1205.9 [1940.2]
    Races YTD: 10 [5 x Master's PB's]

Unplanned rest day again on Monday, too much to do, not enough hours!
    Tues, emergency gear came into play, had a meetings in town, squeezed in 1hr + 6 strides in UCD in the evening 8.5 @ 7:32 pace. A hive of activity, met the McCambridge/Crossan clan and many more.
    Weds, just about squeezed in a lunchtime treadie 5 @ 7:45 pace. Had to collect a vehicle for the WMM in the evening so biked over to collect it - 43k into a stiff headwind, just about kept it the right side of 25 clicks.

Glad these are not proper training weeks, I'm out the door with things to do.
    Anyway, had to settle for another lunchtime treadie on Thurs, boring as fcuk, 5 miles @ 7 something pace.
    Got finished on time today so treated myself to a jaunt on Carrick. The first 5 miles are a hard slog uphill with the exception of the beginning of mile 4 where you get a reprieve for half a mile before the final climb up to the mobile phone mast, the Garmin shows a hard earned average 8:10 pace. I pause momentarily to take in the views knowing that the work is over and there is some great running to take you back down. A gravity assisted 3.2 miles @ 6:26 pace gets my average back to 07:29 as I left a stressful week buried in der dar hills.
    8.2 miles with 306mts elevation gain

• Advertisement

Maybe it was the end of a long week!
    Maybe it was because I'm missing some zzz's this week!
    Maybe it was the alcohol in the system!
    But this run was meh, needed to get it over with and no opportunity to push out with the WMM this weekend.
    And although I felt cr@p and would have preferred to have stayed in bed, there's 13.2 nondescript miles @ 7:22 under the belt, if anyone wants to know the definition of junk miles, link to this post!
    If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger - right?

Advertisement