Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I've a feeling you could easy persuade Kurt to join you in the chaining-yourself-to-the-tree thingy since he's got a little history in preservation of that nature, albeit on a smaller scale. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mon: Steady trot around Wicklow Town, felt good heading out the door so ended up running a bit faster than planned. 8.34 @ 7:08 pace

Tue: First introduction of quality back into the schedule and it was a gentle introduction with 6 x 1k @ 3:44 pace. Felt fine, got the HR up, a few weeks of this required though to build back the fitness. Total 8 @ 7:04 pace.

Had a break between meetings today so got out for an easy lunch time trot.
    Put the Garmin on time of day and ran at an easy perceived pace for 50mins, but ended up with 6.66 miles - should I be worried?
    9146102840_d3197b71c9_o.jpg

One for Kurt
    9146127604_7fc444d03a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You're such a square BB, here's another nerdzinger factoid...

1+2+3+4+...+33+34+35+36=666

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're such a square BB, here's another nerdzinger factoid...

1+2+3+4+...+33+34+35+36=666

I always thought I was well rounded

• Advertisement

Thurs:
    Headed to Sahnganagh after work to meet up with the club who were having a 5k time trial. I was only planning on using it as a tempo session as I thinking of doing a 5k on Sat. Headed for a 3 mile warm up and picked up the club at the gate and then headed over to the start, the lap would be 1 big, 1 small and 1 big.
    Poor turnout for many reasons which meant only one to pace for 20mins, which Krusty joined me for. Ran at 4 min per k by the Garmin, but mine was measuring short compared to KC's about 0.07 for the 5k. This meant I went through 2k in 7:52, so slowed a little and back to 12:00 for 3k and finished it out in 19:53.
    Our 20 min guy dropped so KC hung back with him for the last few k.
    Finished up with another 2M warm down.

Today is an unplanned rest day, if I didn't get a run in before lunch it wasn't going to happened and I was just too busy. No harm I'll still get to 50 for the week.

Thought you were resting last night, no sign of you in Wickla.

Happy Tau Day!

The things we do!

After a crappy night's sleep I woke up in Teddington of all places! Stomach really wasn't good and I hit the jacks about 5 times before heading out the door and in the general direction of Bushy Park. Bumped into a nice Aussie guy on route and we had a bit of banter as we headed to the start, this was his 190th parkrun :eek: it was to be my 1st and in all reality if this wasn't the birthplace of the parkrun I would have still been in bed.
    Very well organised, started at 9:00:02 after a quick briefing.
    This course is fast from an elevation perspective but it's mainly on grass and loose gravel so you're always looking for a bit of traction.
    I was just going to go with the flow, I was already sweating heavily after the gentle 2k jog to the start, so I wasn't sure how I would go.
    1st k slightly uphill all on grass, just settling into position and navigating my way around the over ambitious 3:32.
    Turned onto a gravel path now for the next 3k, race is thining out now and the next 3k follow a similar pattern, checking my watch at about halfway, seeing 3:4X, applying the HTFU button and getting them back under, 3:34 - 3:37 - 3:39 and passing a few each k.
    Lifted the pace a little on the last twisty k to 3:29 and 5 secs for the over bit for my hand timed 17:55 will check the results later.
    Casual puke afterwards and jogged back to the hotel.

Now for some ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good to hear that you made it to parkrun, but shame that you weren't in better condition to enjoy it. Must make a trip to Bushy some day.

Nice sightseeing jaunt around the local surrounds before the family woke and a good remedy for a ropey head. Checked out a few side roads in Teddington before heading out past Twickers and in the general direction of Richmond. Came across what looked like an XC course so of course had to pop down and explore and have bit of a gallop, turns out there's a run for life race there for cancer awareness. Popped back out and over through Richmond and into the park - what a facility and really utilized with dozens of activities and thousands of people knocking about.
    Was in a world of my own loosing track of time when the energy levels started to dip, realized I hadn't eaten in 15 hours and the hop reserves were depleting.
    Stopped at the next gate which was Ham Gate put the Garmin on compass and wasn't too unhappy to see 1.78 miles as the crow flies back to the hotel which translated to about 2.6 running miles.
    15.12 miles @ 7:26 pace.

• Advertisement

Back to Bushy this evening and entered via the Teddington gate joining the 5k course at the 1k mark (the official results confirmed my hand timed 17:55, 15th out of 913 and 1st M45), stuck to the perimeter as much as possible and Bushy served up a delicious 6.7 mile loop, with everything from cricket matches to stage and deers. Headed home via the same gate for 7.77 miles (I'll have to stop doing that) @ 7:26 pace - an honest run and about 1 mile for every hour walking around Legoland.

Very early, very easy recovery run.
    4 miles at 8min pace, over Teddington Lock and along the Thames towpath.
    Nice few days running in the UK, back home tonight with about 34 miles under the belt. Calves a bit tight all done in the Kinvara's and I can't remember the last time I ran 4 consecutive days in the same shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    - about 1 mile for every hour walking around Legoland.
    will have to chat to u about ur pacing strategy in legoland,im going in a few weeks to taper for oxford...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    will have to chat to u about ur pacing strategy in legoland,im going in a few weeks to taper for oxford...

It's the pacing / nutrition strategy, bring a healthy packed lunch that can be eaten while queuing.
    If the UK holidays have started by then invest in a Q-Bot

Edit: Kellogs are doing free adult with a paying child promo at the mo also.

Back on the sod and treated myself to a trot around Carrick. Kept the pace easy, carry a few extra calories after the weekend, I think a detox is in order.
    8 odd miles @ 7:56 pace.

Red top, no bike helmet, N11?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Red top, no bike helmet, N11?

Not guilty, always wear a helmet, trying to protect the few brain cells I've left is paramount.
    Trying to work myself up for a 10k paced session down in Brittas soon, with the reward of a dip in the sea.

Thursday: Headed to Shanganagh for a planned 10k paced session, but after a mile or so my right shin was very tight. So I just kept running at warm up pace and went home and iced and stretched.

Friday: Planned to head to Brittas Bay to one of the few flat miles (South Beach Car Pk to North Beach Car Pk + a bit) to do my session. Must have been something in the air, but the kids were strepupperous so Mrs BeepBeep pulled the plug on that. The closest flat mile as an alternative was the Cullenmore one.
    So I parked up in Ashford and jogged up the road, a little over a mile later and after a few half hearted stretches I was ready to roll.

The plan sub 6 without killing myself and staying in control.
    The actual - URL="http://connect.garmin.com/splits/337908126"]5:56, 5:58, 5:53, 5:51, 5:51, 5:50[/URL Avg 5:53.
    These went better than expected for my 1st real session since Kildare, the odd ones were slightly uphill, but with a gentle breeze from behind, so these evened out effort wise.

Sat: Nice recovery trot in the morning sunshine, before a busy family day - 5.21 miles @ 7:45 pace

Sun: Another Sunday and another alcohol fuelled run :o, had to go and get diesel and collect the mutt, so got chucked out at Willow Grove for a play it by ear run.

Got into a rhythm soon enough, ramping up from 7:18 pace to 7 min, for 6 @ 7:06 pace as I went through Newtown and dodged a few church worshipers.

With Clontarf pacing duty coming up next weekend, I then decided to stick in 4 at planned pacing pace and apart from a bit of humidity these were fine at 6:48 pace, in fact found myself holding myself back.

Finished with a few easy miles back to the house @ 7:32 pace.

Total: 12.05 @ 7:05 pace.

Mon: Early morning treadie - 5 Miles @ 8min pace

Tue: Fun in sun, you'd pay money to train in this weather, no agenda, hit Shanganagh after work, with the car reading 26.5 degrees. Trotting over to the back fields I decided I'd open the legs a bit.
    So a few stretches and some drills and I put the autolap on .25 of a mile and thought I'd try a bit of a leg speed session. Took a few reps to find my rhythm, but I found these enjoyable once I got going, only done 6 as it's so long since I've done any and this led to an injury this time last year: [78-75-72-71-72-71], gave me a longing to get back on the track.
    Done some more drills, more strenght focussed and 6 x 100mt strides.
    Gentle jog back to car for 6 miles in total.

• Advertisement

Lunchtime:Easy recovery trot, 4.2 miles on the local GAA pitches - 6.45 miles in total at 7:47 pace.

PM: Easy bike, just focusing on keeping the cadence around 90, nice evening for a spin, a bit blowy at times, got stuck behind a tractor on a nice downhill section, but he was all over the shop, so too dangerous to pass and then the fecker pulls in before the hill.
    39.3k @ 27.4 km/h, elevation gain 531m

Thu / Fri: Couple of easy lunchtime runs with some strides.

Sat: Clontarf HM pacing: An absolute scorcher of a day as myself, the family +1 and a dog and rolled into Clontarf about 9 bells. Finding parking was already a difficult task, but eventually we got settled and the family were position in The Food Room for breakfast, while I went to locate the DJ box. Met some of the other pacers, grabbed my pack and headed back via the car. Chilling out in the shade while the kids ate rings around me, before getting over to the start with about 20mins to spare.

An absolutely fantastic atmosphere and well done to Eoin and crew on the organisation, I didn't hear anything negative said about the day. Met with Mike and we agreed pacing strategy a positioned ourselves near the front.

The was going great up until 14k or so, we knocked out nice and even splits, giving up a few seconds per k on the sand and gaining those back on the road. Nice breeze on the way out helped with the cooling. Only thing I would say is that the 1st water station came a little late (about 6.5k) and our group were looking for it a little sooner, understand the logistics it's either 4k at the beginning of the beach or where it was, earlier may have been better yesterday. I grabbed a few bottles, had a little drink, squirted a little on my head and neck and then waited and passed the bottles around a little later. Just over 44:50 at halfway and we've still a decent sized group with us. Lost my balloon shortly after halfway as it got caught in a pole, I think.

When we hit the soft sand on the return I felt the inside of my left knee tweak, I eased off for a couple of hundred metres and tried to run through, but when we were on the beach proper it wasn't improving. I ran up beside Mike and we had a quick chat, agreed that he was fine to take them through to the finish, I explained to the gang what was happening and then pulled in for a stretch and a prod. Walked a bit to ease it out and then took it easy on the sand, walking the soft section at the far end. Once back on terra firma it felt much better and I ran home at an easy enough pace staying out of way of the race, coming in just over 1:34.

Post race, grabbed a water and a banana, broke up a fight involving the DJ and a cyclist, took the kids back over to the beach for a swim and an ice cream, picked up some nice ales and sat out the back icing my knee, which is ok - I think.

Sun: Skipped the planned run to let the knee settle down, so hit the bike instead. I've been playing around with the set up and eventually committed to it and cut the steering length and put the 110mm stem back on, this feels much better and I can get into a better position on the drops.
    Anyway the ride was an easy out via Glenealy, Rathrum and down to Avoca, just averaging over 28 km/h. Started pushing it a bit just after loosing some time coming through Arklow and put the head down on the N11 for a nice 15k in 25mins (36km/h) and wrapped it up at an average of 30.3km/h for 61.85k, moderate climbing at 857mts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Well done on the pacing, I was both just in front of u for the 1st half, then just behind u for the 2nd half, in between puking before some poor old dear on the walk way!
    Btw, that fight was mad. Pity any kids seeing that.

Well done on the pacing, I was both just in front of u for the 1st half, then just behind u for the 2nd half, in between puking before some poor old dear on the walk way!
    Btw, that fight was mad. Pity any kids seeing that.

Tough luck on your race, there's better days around the corner.
    I had my kids with me and stepped in due to the choice language being used!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

Hi Beep

From reading your blog I know you've done the Ballinamore 10k before. Just wondering is it a very tough course or 'manageable'? Looking at it in terms of a PB but will leave it if it's too hilly. Cheers

Trevster wrote: »
    Hi Beep

From reading your blog I know you've done the Ballinamore 10k before. Just wondering is it a very tough course or 'manageable'? Looking at it in terms of a PB but will leave it if it's too hilly. Cheers

It's a fair course, a bit lumpy in the 2nd half, wind would have a bigger impact.
    I'm travelling at the mo, will bang up the Garmin link later.

It's a fair course, a bit lumpy in the 2nd half, wind would have a bigger impact.
    I'm travelling at the mo, will bang up the Garmin link later.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106159613

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

Cheers for that, appreciate it

Catching up:
    Work and Life have impcated my running focus and motivation the last few weeks. Had to keep an eye on my knee aswell post Clontarf and a gentle reminder to get back to my core routine, which I always neglect when I'm not injured.
    So I've been snatching at training opportunites when they arise, had great hopes of squeezing in a mile race and 10k before the hols, but I've done little or know quality work.
    The last 2 Saturdays I've ended up running, cycling and swimming splashing about - need to keep an eye on that, it creeps up on you!
    It'll be much of the same for the next 9 days before the hols, might do a 120k charity cycle next Sat.

9384492568_cb7dcac431_c.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 50.1 [80.6]
    MTD: 179.1 [288.1]
    YTD: 1,607.3 [2,586.2]
    Races YTD: 14 [5 x Master's PB's]

Cycling Totals
    WTD: 75.7k
    MTD: 230.8k
    YTD: 761.1k

• Advertisement

The last 2 Saturdays I've ended up running, cycling and swimming splashing about - need to keep an eye on that, it creeps up on you!
    It'll be much of the same for the next 9 days before the hols, might do a

Excellent, another catch for the Dark Side. Your hometown is a triathlete's dream with the harbour and mountains, its wasted on you just being a runner;) Must hook up for a swim spin with you some evening.

Advertisement