Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fit4Life Predictor

Headed up to Djouce this evening misty, but ideal running conditions.
    Decent turnout for this defib fundraiser.
    No real plan, was just looking for a workout at about tempo pace and I hadn't raced on the trails in quite a while. The format was to guess your time and then run with no watch. I guessed 32 mins.

Race has a downhill start and I just sat back as plenty of runners went haring down the hill, long time since I raced in Djouce but the memory of the uphill switchback section was still a fresh memory.

Got into position as we crossed a stream, probably back in 12th position and as we started to climb I just focused on good form with a high cadence, the trips up and down Carrick were giving me confidence.

I gradually picked off those ahead of me 1 by 1, accelerating on the straights and ensuring I hit the tight turns efficiently and minimising any momentum loss.

By the time we had exited from this section we were about halfway through the run and I had worked by way up to 4th.

Around the lake now and I'm gradually closing on 3rd and 4th, take an opportunity to recover a little on the far side of the lake and let the gap widen, but close quickly as we enter another wooded section.

Make it into 3rd place with about a mile to go, but didn't really put any distance in and to be honest I didn't really try and gave that place back up to younger legs in the last 800 as he went on to finish 2nd.

Got quite close to 3rd again in the final uphill section, but ran out of track.

Happy with my controlled performance, no real speed, but good strength and staying power and about 30:30 finish, which would have put me in the top 10 in the IMRA race on the same course the previous evening.

Total was about 10 miles.

3 handy enough weeks really.

Done a nice sportive for the Bray Cancer Support Group, longest spin on the bike and after a puncture within the first few miles it was good fun working my way through the groups from there. Nice windy, hilly day and my 1st time over the 2 Gaps, cross winds were hard to handle for a novice like me and a few speed wobbles didn't help.

Headed to Portugal for 10 days and this was mainly for RnR so set myself a very achievable target of 50 miles for the 8 days that I planned to run down there. Managed to sneak 55 through a combination of the hotel treadie which I blew up and the local surrounds which were hot and hilly, decided based on what we were doing and the time of day available for a run. Morning was a little cooler at about 30 degrees and evenings about 34-35. Kept the pace on the faster side of easy, averaging 7:20 which is probably worth a little extra effort for the temperatures and terrain.

Jumped back into it this weekend with a bike and run day yesterday and a welcome back to Ireland as I cycled through driving rain and wind, 40+ k with JC it was good to catch up and another rain blasted run later in the afternoon - anyone selling a left nipple PM me :pac: and a solid 1h40 this morning.

Time to get back training now with 4 weeks base building, a few lumpy runs thrown in and get the long one up to 20 in advance of pacing Dublin. Then a block of hills should have me in reasonable shape for the start of the XC. Post Dublin will be 6 weeks focus for the Waterford HM if that doesn't clash with the Senior XC.

9537961120_1bbbf8ecf5_b.jpg
    Running Totals
    WTD: 46.8 [75.3]

MTD: 108.4 [174.3]
    YTD: 1,742.2 [2,803.2]
    Races YTD: 15 [5 x Master's PB's]

Cycling Totals
    WTD: 50.6k
    MTD: 162.2k
    YTD: 923.3k

Just focusing on getting back into a routine since getting back from hols.
    1hr runs on Mon + Tues and an easier recovery run on Wed.
    Club were having a 5k in Shanganagh on Thurs, so decided to run that to gauge where my fitness is, was hoping for about 18mins, with my lack of specific training and carrying a few Kgs of holiday weight.

Small enough turnout on the 2.5 laps of Shanganagh, which will be used for the Fit4Life in 2 weeks time. A quick course, not 100% flat, but just enough variation to make it an enjoyable loop.

It was clear from the off that I'd be out on my own, but I'm not celebrating any podium victories as all the big guns missed this for one reason or another.
    I'd planned to keep the splits as close to 3:36 as possible:
    1st k: 3:32
    2nd k: 3:35
    3rd k: 3:33
    4th k: 3:37
    5th k: 3:26
    Official 17:44
    Good workout, above expectation, felt in control and reasonably consistent splits with a bit of a lift for the last 400. Feel I'm a bit ahead of last year, so it's all about laying down a solid base now.

Simple enough plan this week.
    Get the mileage back above 50 - check
    Get the diet back on track - fail
    Body feels great, enjoyed the 5k on Thurs and really enjoyed the HM pacing this morning.

Oylegate HM - 1:45 pacing
    Oylegate, somewhere I've driven through many a time heading somewhere else and I'll admit I've never stopped there. Spotted the 1 sign on the main street that told me to head left and then expectantly drove for a mile and a bit hoping to find another sign or the GAA grounds, both arrived into sight simultaneously. Picked up the race pack, balloons were tethered in the changing room, had a quick chat with the other pacers and pretty soon it was time to go.

Typical country race, line up, let a few cars by, wait for a gap and away you go. I had reviewed the course profile last night and new this was a bit of an undulating one or as someone else described it 'it has character', I like that description. So I knew the 1st mile was a little downhill and then a few lumps and bumps to the 5 mile mark. I stayed out of everyone's way for the first few miles and let the groups settle and then I got a feel for who was going for 1:45.

We're 4 secs up on 1:44:30 pace at 5 miles and I've a nice little group of about 8-9, I know 6 is downhill and that will be followed by a few climbs in 7 & 8. So I say that we'll lean forward get the heels out behind and bank sometime, everyone responds well and we cruise to a 7:34 mile, all is good.

This gives the group a good boost and I'm trying to encourage them to hold back on hills, but they're tipping away nicely which puts me in a little bit a dilemma. I know this group is strong, but we're about 40 secs up on target pace. So I float amongst the group having a few chats and everyone feels good. I check behind and we've a clear road, so there's not much point in slowing up.

We reach the 9 mile mark and we're presented with a nice downhill, I suggest that anyone who's feeling strong use that to their advantage and I hang back and work with another runner and get him back in the group.
    Work with another guy for a while and get him back into a nice rhythm, he'll go on and pot a 6 min PB.

Out on to the N11 and I cut the group loose, the majority will go to break 1:43 and some by even more. I've no concerns they all look strong, I slow down and start giving the Sergeant Majors to 2 guys that are struggling a bit, but they respond and they go on to break 1:44, rather than settling for a handier sub 1:45.

Stroll back into the GAA grounds, get a high 5's from Graham and Jane Porter and come across the line just under 1:44, sounds a little quick on paper but the group dynamics dictated that this would be a better day for them.

9589106675_b19acd236f_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 51.9 [83.5]
    MTD: 160.2 [257.8]

YTD: 1,794 [2,886.7]
    Races YTD: 17 [5 x Master's PB's]

Cycling Totals
    WTD: 56.8k
    MTD: 219.1k
    YTD: 980.2k

Targets for this week.
    Run 100k :) (101k)
    One run of 2hrs :)
    Bike 100k :) (105k)
    Get the diet back on track :( hmmmm work in progress

Just looking to keep investing in the endurance bank, 11.5 hrs training this week is keeping me moving in the right direction. Happy with my August mileage @ 220 considering I was away on hols.
    Threw in a steady run on Tuesday, not quite tempo, but a good workout with 5 miles @ 6:25. I'll keep Tuesdays for an adhoc faster effort day to keep me in tune and I'm sticking in 2 days with strides.

Nice bike this morning down to Annacurragh to meet up with Slogger to recce the F4L trail course and after a quick coffee and a chat I had to high tail it back home after a communication breakdown with MrsBeepBeep. Meant I came home at a decent pace of 31.2 km/h for the 32k return journey.

More of the same next week with a 5k thrown in.

9641643821_5726a3900c_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 63.0 [101.3]
    MTD Aug: 219.8 [353.7]
    YTD: 1,857.0 [2,988.0]

Races YTD: 17 [5 x Master's PB's]

Cycling Totals
    WTD: 105k
    MTD: 324kk
    YTD: 1085k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That's a solid week!

What's the downfall on the diet?

That's a solid week!

What's the downfall on the diet?

Holiday hangover, planning, will-power, poor food choices, slowly coming back into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ooooo.....nice pacing, BeepBeep. ;) And as always, good stuff going on over here in the land of Ever Decreasing Circles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

Friday PM: 32 laps of the football field...you must have been pretty dizzy afterwards. Headphones needed for that type of run?

Friday PM: 32 laps of the football field...you must have been pretty dizzy afterwards. Headphones needed for that type of run?

It was a kill 2 birds with the one stone activity, Luke was football training, I needed a run, he wanted me to be there and I wanted to be there - everyone was happy(ish) :)

• Advertisement

Fit4Life 5k - 17:26 Master's PB

Back on the same course as a few weeks ago when I ran 17:44 pretty much solo, I felt 17:30 was a good target after a few decent weeks training, but a nice stretch all the same.

A decent turnout, but not too many of the big guns toed the line for this one.
    Got a good start and found myself out in front for a bit, but wasn't pushing it, soon they came flooding past. Some park pedestrians to get around at the playground and I found myself in 5th by the 1k mark, with plenty of feet behind me. 3:31 for the 1st k, but it feels very relaxed.

I just tuck in behind for the 2nd k as we navigate our way through more park traffic, as we come up through the narrow wooded section I muscle my way into 4th. Stretch out on a slight downhill section and try to get myself back in touch with the leaders and clock a 3:27 as we come back through the start line.

Lap 2 is the shorter 1k lap and I'm starting to blow a bit now as I get side by side with 3rd place. Find a burst of pace from somewhere and make 3rd my own. Back on the slight downhill section again and try and close on the top 2. 3:29 for the 3rd k and we've 1 big lap to go.

Put in some effort here spurred on by the local support and tag onto the back of the leaders. About 1500 to go and I actually feel like the pace is dropping, so I step out and take the lead. We drop the longtime leader soon after but Ritchie from Kilcoole comes with me and he looks strong. With a about 1200 to go he kicks on and I clock 3:28 for the 4th k.

I'm starting to suffer now and I focus on keeping a high cadence and getting my heels out behind me. Ritchie is out of reach at this stage. Look at the watch and see the 5th k creeping towards 3:40, lungs are screaming, legs are screaming, but I take a big breath and decide not to listen to them. Only about 500 to go and I'm pushing hard, the pace is increasing slowly. There's no sprint finish as the line comes into sight, more of a sustained effort, but I do get the 5th k back to 3:26 and 4 secs for odds over distance.

Delighted with the run, really pushed myself, 4 splits under 3:30 and a 2nd place.

5k 17:26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great racing and result D, fair play to ya!! Well able to mix it with the young fellas! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Great racing and result D, fair play to ya!! Well able to mix it with the young fellas! ;)

Nearly coughed up a lung afterwards, but it was good craic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Brilliant report, and a masterclass in racing as usual, well done on the pb Dom. Us younger guys can learn so much from you;)

BeepBeep, you are on fire!!! Congrats!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Great job Dom, jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Note to myself whenever my comeback 5k race is-
    "Make sure BB67 isn't racing"

Another solid week, more in the endurance bank 65 miles, 20 mile run, 103k bike and 12.5 hrs training, plus a Brucey Bonus of a 5k Master's PB.

With DCM pacing on the horizon the plan called for a 18 mile LSR, but I decided to jump straight into a 20.
    So stuck a few episodes of Marathon Talk in the cans and headed out the back roads to Blaineroe and after a couple of uphill miles the plan was to run a DCM pacing pace (7:36), but the legs felt good and I just went with the flow.
    Garmin Connect is down at the moment, but after a few 7:40ish, I ran about 7:15 pace for the next 16, before a couple of 7:30's as I headed back uphill to the house.
    A pretty uneventful run, it was chilly for the 1st time in a while, got a beep from Damo in AK, ran past the open swim in Wicklow as I headed on the 2nd half of my run and got home in reasonable shape at 7:21 pace.
    Shower and a milk shake and I could have gone out again (only kidding :D).

Got a late text last night about heading out for a spin on the Joe Loughlan Randonée (105k), so got my gear together and said I make a call on it in the morning. This was a gentle affair, very social and easy going, but with some sneaky climbs and over 2k of climbing.
    Stayed with my little group until we took on some refreshments at the tea stop and then put in a little effort up the Shay Elliot climb.
    Was feeling tired on the rolling hills into Roundwood and over to Djouce, but finished and recovered well.
    Bike will take a back seat for a while now.

Might try and find a 10k next weekend!

9701229963_48f4598e11_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 65.2 [104.9]
    MTD: 68.6 [110.3]
    YTD: 1,922.2 [3,092.8]
    Races YTD: 18 [6 x Master's PB's]

Cycling Totals
    WTD: 103k
    MTD: 179k
    YTD: 1188k

So as this chart is starting to appear in people's logs, I thought it might be an interesting exercise for myself.
    9701424207_cf7f43d693_b.jpg
    Definitely seeing a lift in mileage this year. 33% increase to the end Aug last year, although some of that was injury related.
    I expect to be reasonably parallel until the end of the year, but planning a 10% increase versus Sept - Dec last year.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Garmin Connect is down at the moment

Nice week BB, plenty going on there! I was wondering about garmin connect, i've been pulling my hair out the last half an hour here trying to upload my activities! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Brilliant consistency BB, really solid mileage. I think a 10k would be a great idea, I'd say you would have loads of strength at the minute.

• Advertisement

36:00 watch time in Kilmore for about 9th place. 17:50 at halfway, went swimming in a bath of lactic for the last 3k and just about held it together. More to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cracking result! More to follow indeed.

Savage BeepBeep. Cracking time. That swim must have been fun! :D

blockic wrote: »
    Savage BeepBeep. Cracking time. That swim must have been fun! :D

And ditto yourself - well deserved

Kilmore 10k - Master's PB - 36:00 - 10th
    Decided to make a day and a night of this as we got a good deal with a local hotel for a family room, so the gang were in tow.
    In all honesty I wasn't feeling great, was very lethargic during the warm up and to disappear to the loo a few times to empty loose bowels, not nerves related as this wasn't an important race. I knew heading into this that I would improve my soft 37:53. The B target was sub 37, the A target was 36:30.

This is a no frills race, no chip timing, no timing clock, but what you do get is a well organised race, a technical t shirt, plenty of marshals, enough food to feed an army, a fast but challenging course, results out about an hour after the winner crosses the line and all for €15, anything else is just a bonus right?

So not feeling too well, undertrained, I need to go back to the beginning of July for my last session, this was ran on adding back in the miles and throwing in a few strides after runs, but sometimes this sport can surprise.

Called to the start, I get in a few strides in the A5's and then a chat with a few of the SBR gang.
    1k - 5k [17:52 - 3:34 pace]
    The first k after you turn off the main road is uphill, I've studied the course and drove the last few so I need a good 1st half as there's a few subtle climbs to come. I'm back in 12th place as I go through in 3:33, a little quicker than planned, but I feel good and I'm moving freely.
    I'm about 20 yds down on 11th and I can hear no footsteps behind me, so this now me vs the clock. 2k is largely downhill and I'm mindful of not going too fast, I'm now maintaining my position to 11th and go through in 7:01 (3:28). At this stage I'm just thinking not too bad about 18 secs in the bag for the end.
    The 3rd k is flat to downhill as you make your way into Bridgetown and in the evening sun I'm starting to get a sweat on, but the legs are playing ball, 3:32 as I go through 3k in 10:33. The 4th k has a few lumps and bumps, but is very runnable, I'm more than happy to see 14:10 (3:37).
    The 5k is similar to the 4th and the pace drifts above 3:45, but as we near the halfway point I get the legs turning over as 11th place is coming within touching distance, a 3:42 puts me at 17:52 at halfway and that's the first time it dawns on me that unless I completely blow up I'm on for a sizable PB.

6k - 10k [18:08 - 3:38 pace]
    The 6th k is net flat, but is a bit of an up and downer, I get sufficiently close to 11th and take him on the climb, which forces me to work hard as I'm beginning to feel it - 21:30 (3:38) and I'm thinking that I've just smashed by 6k PB by over a minute. Passing someone was a nice distraction as I'm concentrating on just putting some distance between us and a very satisfactory 3:37 as we reach the low point of the course.
    The climbs in reality aren't tough here, but I've run the life out of my legs and I'm running 1k at a time as I feel the HR and breathing rate increase. I'm doing mental maths in my head and reckon I'm safe for my A target (36:30), so it's just me fighting my body and mind.
    The next 2k are net uphill, with some tight corners so I'm happy to get back on the main road for a straight run to finish. Considering I'm swimming in lactic and these were lumpy I'm super happy to keep both spilts under 3:45.
    1k to go, it's slightly uphill against the breeze, but I've a target up ahead, I go looking for another gear and start to wind it up. I can hear heavy breathing and funny noises and I look around to see where they're coming from before realising it's me :P. I can now see the GAA grounds, must be only 200mts, I'm closing, ever so close to 10th place, find another little gear and get past with about 50 to go, thankfully he didn't respond, because I had nothing left to give.

Receive the congratulations from the family, walk around in a daze for a bit before dry reaching, check my watch and see 36 dead, ecstatic before thinking 1 second, 1 measly second, hopefully the timing Gods will be kind - but they weren't :(

So there you have it a surprise performance and a bit of a breakthrough, 6 races since my DNF in Rotterdam resulting in 5 Master's PB's, all done off endurance and my earlier marathon base, maybe a training rethink is needed.

Today had a sh1tty run (literally), stomach still not improved, 2 bush stops and 1 stop in Mount Usher, was a happy beepbeep to make it home with most of my dignity intact.

9759957224_10b3cceaed_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 63.4 [102.0]
    MTD: 132.0 [212.3]
    YTD: 1,985.6 [3,194.8]
    Races YTD: 19 [7 x Master's PB's]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Good running well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Massive PB, very well done. 36 flat is great going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great run.

I see a familiar name won the race. He's everywhere! Must get him along to the next installment of the boards.ie beer mile!

Peckham wrote: »
    I see a familiar name won the race. He's everywhere! Must get him along to the next installment of the boards.ie beer mile!

Freddy's cleaning up - nice chap

• Advertisement

Yep...1 measly second. It's like the running gods' way of making sure we don't get too big for our britches. ;)

I guess there's now a possibility you may be my "escort" for (hopefully) 26.2 miles in 6 weeks. <gulp> :eek:

Advertisement