Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

12875863883_8756d53667_o.jpg

Step back week, with plan to reduce the mileage to about 80%, let the body adapt and recover from the previous 4 week block and introduce a little faster running.

2 key runs:

1) Weds VO2max; 5 x 1200 @ 5k pace (Shanganagh - Tarmac)
    Apart from strides it's been a while since I've been at this end of the pace range.
    3:30 pace was the target (4:12 per rep) with a 2 min jog recovery.
    Found it hard going to find the zone in these, but went off effort and gradually loosened up, it was a bit blowy so there was a 300mt section that was hard work.
    NB: Need to introduce some hip mobility work after all these steady miles.
    1: 4:14, 2: 4:14, 3: 4:14 (consistent), 4: 4:11 (starting to loosen up), 5: 4:05 (getting carried away).
    Got the session back down to the target average, need to get those early reps nailed down.

2) Sat Long progression (2 lap flatish course, 1.25 miles on trail each lap)
    Plan was just a long run, but 20 miles on your todd can be boring, so I introduced some variety into this.
    Also made this a dry run of sorts, wearing the shoes, socks and shorts I plan to wear, carrying 4 gels, although I only took 2.
    Lap 1 just zoned out listening to MT, took a gel at 45mins, came back to car at 10 miles (7:26 pace), ditched a layer, had a sip of water and got rolling again.
    10 - 15 @ 7:07 pace, was supposed to be 7:10, but it felt very relaxed, had a gel at 90mins.
    16 - 20 @ 6:50, again should have 6:55 pace, but I was opening up and going with the flow.
    Nice session and another 20 in the bag, that's 6 x 20's and 2 x 18's in the last 10 weeks.

Next week is a bit of a car crash as I'm travelling Mon - Thur, the achievable plan is to get to Fri with an opportunity to hit 80+ miles for the week.

6 weeks and counting - <GULP>

Running Totals
    WTD: 70.3 [113.1]
    MTD (Feb): 318.9 [513.2]
    YTD: 666.2 [1071.9]
    Races YTD: 4
    Masters PBs: 1
    Consecutive Days: 132

13032075145_696b68d895_o.jpg

Finding Balance
    This week was a bit a juggling act, balancing life stress and trying to hit the numbers in the plan. Sacrifices were made, namely sleep and thankfully I'm sitting here in one piece at the end of the week!

Mon: Squeezed in 1hr steady between calls and later when I got to the hotel, straight to the room, opened the case, and my shorts, tshirt and socks looked out at me to remind me to run again. So straight down to the Gym for a handy 5 miles on the treadie.

Tue: Alarm off at 6am and an interesting run through Christianshavn around what looks like a manmade water inlet with houses built to many different designs using reclaimed materials. I find out later that this is a great spot to purchase some mood enhancing substances!

Wed: AM as in 5AM :eek: a bleary eyed trot resulting in getting lost in some allotments! PM: Forced myself out with a belly full of food with the reward being a lie in until 6AM the next morning!

Thu: Landed in Dublin at 6:20PM and was running from the long term car park by 6:54. A nice trot up through Northwood, into Santry, past the Morton Stadium (side gate open, was tempted to hit the track :D) and finished with a few strides.

Fri: Double easy treadie + 10 including 6 @ 6:19.

Sat: Easy 10 and enjoyable no pressure easy run.

Sun: The 22 LSR, plan was to run at MP +45secs, which I did in the main, finished the last 4 (7:03-7:04-6:49-6:18) out of boredom more so than design!

So we edge ever closer to the big day - 5 weeks and counting!

Running Totals
    WTD: 83.5 [134.4]
    MTD: 114.0 [183.4]
    YTD: 749.7 [1206.3]
    Races YTD: 4
    Consecutive Days: 139

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice bit of time management there. I'm curious, how did the manage the run from the airport? Were you just traveling with backpack and ran with that?
    Work travel is getting more frequent and I'll steal any tips I can :)

cianc wrote: »
    Nice bit of time management there. I'm curious, how did the manage the run from the airport? Were you just traveling with backpack and ran with that?
    Work travel is getting more frequent and I'll steal any tips I can :)

Nah nothing as 007 as that, parked in the red car pk with the gear ready to go, a quick Superman change in the back seat and away :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nah nothing as 007 as that, parked in the red car pk with the gear ready to go, a quick Superman change in the back seat and away :cool:

Oh how I wish I had been in that parking lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

that's an insane amount of miles given the week that was!!

that's an insane amount of miles given the week that was!!

A bit back ended - 55 miles in 65 hours from Thurs to Sun :D

13193894613_87ff054e1c_o.jpg

Tough week this week both physically and mentally, no one contributing factor more of a cumlative effect of running 146 consecutive days and 1540 miles, the most consistent I've ever trained.
    I do dread the mid-week 15 mile MLR (Only 1 left and I may do that tomorrow), it's quite taxing fitting it in after a days work and then running to a meeting straight after. I was tired, cranky and feeling aches and pains for the 1st time in ages.

4 Key runs:
    1) Tues VO2max: 5 x 800 @ 5k pace
    Ran out to Ashford to do these on the county 5k course which is one of the more flatish sections around Wicklow.
    Went fine time wise, but I hard to work for them, in hindsight the fatigue was starting to appear in this session.
    [2:49-2:49-2:47-2:45-2:47]

2) Weds MLR
    Was hard to get motivated for this, but once I got going I just concentrated on some work issues and before I knew I was in the last 5 miles, glad to get through it in a respectable 7:18 pace [MP +40]

3) SLOT 10k
    Seriously considered giving this one a wide, wisely built the frame for a deck the night before and by the time I was finished my back, glutes and hammers were in bits. First time resorting to NSAIDs since my ankle injury in October.
    With the alternative being running at 10k pace on my todd around Wicklow I got organised and headed off.
    Nice set up in Carlow, compact gravel track, nice big club house with an indoor sprint track, back to the car for a snooze and went for a trot about 30 mins before the off. Had to do quite a bit of lower back, glute and hamstring stretches.
    Conditions were warm at 15 degrees considering what we've used to and a stiff breeze blowing about.
    About 200 toed the line for the 10k, with a similar number waiting to begin the 5k which would start 15 mins after the 10.

The race, well having potentially messed up a decent time through my DIY exploits, I then decided to go the full hog and really mess it up by running the first 2k at 5k pace. My excuse was that it was breezy and I was trying to tag onto a little group. The result I was fecked 1 quarter way into the race.

I backed off a little and tried to regroup, but the damage had been done. The first half being uphill wasn't doing me any favours, but I was in 6th, holding pace with 5th, but 4th was running a more sensible race.

Tried to get the legs moving on the 6th k, which began with a downhill, but it just wasn't happening today.
    Turned for home with 4k to go to be greeted by our friend the headwind for the next 3k, at this stage I just wanted the race to be over and had to concentrate just to keep running at 6min miles.

Managed a bit of a lift in pace when I smelt the track and salvaged a 36:33 (33 secs outside my master's PB from last summer), held onto 6th pace and 3rd master.

In hindsight the time was ok coming off high mileage at this stage of the plan, I was more disappointed with how I had run and a lesson in pacing that is better to make in a low key 10k than an important race.

4) Post race LSR
    LSR drops to 18 miles post race, obviously run on tired legs.
    I felt reasonably ok after the previous day, but I kept this in the easy zone from a perceived effort perspective.
    Beautiful sunny morning, so I changed my route to take in the coast before heading out to Ashford, lots of people out walking, running and cycling - great to see.
    Wrapped it all up at 7:26 pace.

Next week the mileage climbs back up a little and the week finishes off with the Wicklow Half as either a PMP session or a progression run and then this bod is ready for taper time!

Running Totals
    WTD: 75.9 [122.1]
    MTD: 189.9 [305.5]
    YTD: 825.6 [1328.4]
    Races YTD: 5
    Consecutive Days: 146

Mon: Brought the MLR forward to the bank holiday, ended up the perfect OCD run 15.0 miles in 1:50.
    Tue: Back in Shanganagh on the grass, considered doing my VO2max session, but the legs were dead. Bumped into wrstan and just ran easy, 9.1 @ 7:33 pace.
    Wed: Paid a visit to Krusy's pain cave for 5 x 1k, reasonably consistent at 3:30 - 3:31 - 3:30 - 3:31 - 3:31, but each lap had a battle against the breeze for about 150mts.
    Thu: 75mins aerobic back on the grass in Shanganagh 10.1 miles.

So that's 150 consecutive days, 1585 miles, 24 days to the start line!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jesus, thats a solid training block. You're motoring nicely.

TbL

• Advertisement

Jesus, thats a solid training block. You're motoring nicely.

TbL

Cheers - did you make any decisions yourself?

Cheers - did you make any decisions yourself?

Going to give Limerick a lash, entered it a couple of days ago.

TbL

13354415783_a79a73f40c_o.jpg

Finished off the week handy enough.
    Fri: Double x Easy, with some strides stuck on the end of the evening run.
    Sat: Relatively easy 1hr, stopping off for a few minutes to check out the Bray Hunt trials outside of Ashford.

Wicklow Half Marathon
    Plan was to use this as a slightly faster than MP workout, targeting about 6:32 pace, which would be a good workout on a hilly course with a nice NW wind to contend with.
    Decent crowd in this, 500+ I would expect and in the shelter conditions were ideal, about 6 degrees and sunny. But having ran 3+ miles to get to the start I knew the wind that lay in wait particularly around the Port relief road - where there would be no relief.
    Caught up with Abhainn and a few others as I arrived on plan about 15 mins before the start, had planned to take a gel and some water at this stage, but leaving them at home on the breakfast bar meant that went out the window!

Lined up near the front and we ran down the Quays, already you could feel the breeze. A little tour around some side streets and soon we were heading out over Halpin's Bridge and into the wind proper. Skipped up the road a bit to get in behind 5th for some shelter, but when I seen 6:12 for the 1st mile I eased off and ran the next 2 windy miles at 6:32 pace, giving up a few places in the process, which I wasn't concerned about.

4th mile and it's time for fun on the hills, I had planned to lose some time here and ran on effort, knowing I had an opportunity to stretch the legs a little later. A 6:50 mile followed with an elevation gain of 51 and a loss of 5, more importantly AvHR only increased by 1 and MaxHR was one less than the previous mile. 5th mile is a bit up and down and I have the kids waiting for me at 4.75 where I ditch my hat, gloves and arm warmers before climbing up the steepest part of the course, a 6:31 here was probably a little quick. Nice section for about a k on the cycle lanes, before starting to climb up Marlton Road - 6:36 and I'm getting close to the high point of the course which comes shortly after 10k.

Take the opportunity to recover on the next couple of undulating miles, ironically it's probably the part of the course where the wind would be most favourable, but also the most sheltered so you don't really get the benefit. In good shape anyway with a 6:28 and 6:30.

Mile 9 has a nice downhill, but I don't go mad, before turning onto the Blainroe Rd and meeting our friend the wind, I run 6:17 with some nice support from some fellow runners stewarding.

Have a quick chat with a chap from Sportsworld, who comes up beside me, warn him about the hills on mile 10 and stay disciplined as I let him go, 6:34 for this flatish but windy mile.

Mile 11 has 2 decent hills and is against the wind, I just concentrate again on effort and form and run a 6:54.

Head picks up a little now as you start to see glimpses of Wicklow Town, an undulating net uphill mile follows in 6:30.

I'm unintentionally reeling in 1 of the runners who passed me early doors as we enter the last mile and while the competitive juices start to moisten, I didn't want to get into an eyeballs out last 400 or anything like that. So I just quickened the pace and took him early doors, before striding down the hill for 6:03.

Finished off the last twisty section for a 1:25:22 (Garmin time), for a top 10 finish, maybe 9th or 8th didn't hang around. Happy with the effort at the end of an 83 mile week, and probably the 6:30 pace would be worth 5-6 secs at least per mile on a falter course run in calmer conditions.

Greeted by the family, had a banana and a sip of water, hooked up with Abhainn and off we went on our extended warm down, kicking off with the 1st 2.5 miles of the course again and into what felt like a stronger wind (probably the fatigue effect).

Next week the taper begins, a few key sessions; 5x600, a reduced length MLR (12), a short race of some description and a reduced length LSR (17).

Running Totals
    WTD: 83.2 [133.9]
    MTD: 273.1 [439.4]
    YTD: 908.8 [1462.3]
    Races YTD: 6
    Consecutive Days: 153

13508847474_da5a0ef40b_o.jpg

Mon: Jogged from the house up to the local GAA pitch and just ran some easy laps.

Tue: Parked in the flatish lands of Ashford and no sooner had I left the car I was high tailing back for a jacket, hat and gloves as the heavens opened on a rather chilly evening. Got about a 3 mile warm up done and then it was time for 5 x 600.
    First 3 were controlled at 2:04-2:01-1:59. I then tried to push it a little and while the times were ok 1:57 and 1:55, my form at that higher speed is shocking. I'm putting it down to all the marathon focused miles and after the marathon recovery I'll be back on a diet of drills and S&C.

Wed: Reduced mileage mid-week MSR, glad the 15's are behind me for now. Nice easy pace averaging 7:30.

Thu: Popped down to the track as there was a club session on, done a long warm up, joined them for the drills, went for another trot and finished with 6 x 80m strides with Timmaay.

Fri: Recovery 101

Sat: Marlay Parkrun 5k
    Ideally needed a slightly longer run, but nothing really suitable around, the Marlay parkrun came closest to ticking the box. Wasn't thinking of a particularly fast time, but felt 17:30 would be an honest effort.
    Drove to 3 rock, left the car up there and ran the long way to Marlay as a warm up. That combined with strides gave me 3+ miles.
    First time at an Irish parkrun and the organisation is spot on, could become part of the schedule for the summer.

600+ lined up with the first 150 or so across the grass to a tight corner. AJC had warned me about getting out fast and I hit this corner in front, before settling back a bit. Was in 5th place or so after about 600 when the eventual winner made his move. I responded, but knew he was going to be too lively for me. Back towards the start and I'm 2nd after 1k in 3:18.

The 2nd k takes you into the woods, you're climbing all the time, the surface needs some concentration and as it's narrow you navigate your way through other park users. You break out of the woods and are immediately exposed to the wind, I can hear footsteps behind me and we go through the 2nd k in 3:35.

The 3rd k starts with a flat section and the runner behind me is closing, but once we turn the corner and into the clmb that takes you to the high point of the course I get the arms going and the sound of footsteps disappear. Around the top bend and the 3rd k is 3:39. But a glance at the watch shows average pace at 3:30, so that's fine.

Use the downhill section to stride out and recover a little and after navigating more park users that were intent on keeping the racing line for themselves I started pushing again with about a mile to go. 4th k in 3:21 and I went hello PB up for for grabs, lets go get it.

Last k you exit from the larger lap and enter the first field again but in reverse, so get the arms working up the slight incline, before ramping up with about 400 to go for a 3:19.

Nice course overall, some say not so fast, maybe, but all the work comes early enough and if you can get to the top corner in reasonable shape it has the makings of a decent time.

So 2nd place, 1st in my AG, AG record for Marlay, Master's PB (only 1:25 to go for a real PB - ha). Once the Marathon doesn't sideline me and with MD specific training on top of the endurance base sub 17 is becoming a realistic target.

Sun: A fairly easy, relaxed 17, relived some of the Wicklow HM course before heading out to Ashford.

Next week low 50's, a few MP miles on Tues, VO2max on Thurs and a 13 MSR at the weekend.

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock - keep it between the ditches!

Running Totals
    WTD: 65.1 [104.8]
    MTD: 338.2 [544.1]
    YTD: 973.9 [1567.1]
    Races YTD: 7
    Masters PBs: 2
    Consecutive Days: 160

AMBER ALERT!
    Start Line probability 100%, Racing probability 80%.
    This update is sponsored by Jim Henson Productions.

So you've invested 163 consecutive days in training for a marathon, most sensible people would be really careful and not put all the time at risk. But muppet here decides to rise to his son's challenge of 'how long can you balance on a basketball' :mad:. So the ball goes due West and I go due East, landing on my elbow shortly followed by my ribs collapsing on top of my elbow.
    Result a couple of bruised ribs.
    Running has been painful, breathing has been laboured, but no training has been missed.

13671377383_729a4c02fe_b.jpg

In other news.
    Mileage came down 20% to the low 50's as planned.
    Runs of note:
    Tues: Easy run, plus 4 miles at MP 6:36. A bit lethargic and took a few minutes to find a rhythm, one of those typical mid-taper runs.

Thur: Fit4Life 3k
    Debated not doing this after the previous day's incident, but was going to be there to help anyway, so done a painful warm up. The pain is similar to running with a painful side stitch.
    Decent turnout with Timmaay and Krusty pre race favourites.
    The plan for me was to just sneak under 10 and tick another box.
    Got a good start and tucked in behind Krusty in 3rd before slipping back to 5th. My side was sore, but I forgot about it quickly. We went through the start line at 1k for a 3:15.
    A bit fast I thought and eased back a bit, but still found myself in 4th. Was keeping an eye on the watch thinking a couple of 3:22's would do it and I went through the 2nd k in exactly that.
    About halfway through the last k a check of the watch shows 3:26 for this slightly uphill section. Lift the pace once we are back onto the tarmac and stride out towards the finish 3rd k in 3:21, plus 1 second for the odds.
    Watch time, 9:59.42, official stopwatch time sub 10, official result 10:00 :mad: a lesson learned in conservatism, guess I'll be looking for a track 3k in the summer.

Fri and Sat were both painful runs, Sat retreated to treadmill as a precaution and stops a few times to stretch my side.

Sun: Headed over to Shanganagh, again so I would have the easy option to pull out if needed, thankfully that wasn't needed.
    Popped into the pharmacy yesterday and the plan was Nurofen 1 hr before my run and Paracetamol 30 mins before. Shanganagh was a nice 16 degrees even if it was a little breezy. Wore a compression top also as this may be an option next Sunday to provide a little protection.
    The medication took the edge off the pain, it was still there, but manageable.
    Got through 13.1 miles of laps, which along with the pain was good mental stamina for next week. Ran steady at about 7:12, plus 2 miles at 6:31 (9+10) to check out the ribs at a higher speed.
    Overall this was ok, but will need some improvement over the next few days.
    At the physio for a rub down tomorrow evening, so will ask her to take a look.

Running Totals
    WTD: 52.3 [84.1]
    MTD March: 344.3 [553.9]
    YTD: 1,026.2 [1651.1]
    Races YTD: 8
    Masters PBs: 2
    Consecutive Days: 167

Yes yes, BUT HOW LONG DID YOU BALANCE ON THE BASKETBALL?!?
    Seriously, that's rotten luck, does it get any better one you've warmed up?

FFS, after all your effort that's poxy luck.

Hopefully you'll fully recover and hit your target.

Learn you lesson and stay away from the kids for two weeks before a significant race, preferably check into a hotel :)

TbL

Yes yes, BUT HOW LONG DID YOU BALANCE ON THE BASKETBALL?!?
    Seriously, that's rotten luck, does it get any better one you've warmed up?

I did win :pac:
    Get's progressively worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

And people slated me for the infamous child hating thread a few years back? :P

Seriously though sorry to hear hopefully you will be on the mend shortly and will have no ill effects come race day.

Look after yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's bad luck. We might be pacing each other to a hobble around London!

Bruised ribs can clear up quickly though so fingers crossed there isn't a crack/fracture

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's bad luck. We might be pacing each other to a hobble around London!

Bruised ribs can clear up quickly though so fingers crossed there isn't a crack/fracture

What time are the wheelchairs off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Thats rotten luck. One of those things - i wouldnt say it was muppetry, you cant stop being a dad just cos theres a race coming up.

If there is such a thing as karma they should heal soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Jeez Dom ye big muppet:) Hopefully they are only bruised and they should heal quickly. I broke two last year and it was f'x#@ing painful.

Back from the physio, bruised Ribs and Obliques.
    Mobility is fine so it's nothing more serious, just needs some time to heal.
    On Ibu for the next 3 days to keep the inflammation down and then get it out of the system before Sunday.
    Prognosis is to have some residual pain on Sunday, but should be manageable.

Other than that, apart from a few tight calves that needed some extra work, all is good.

Back from the physio, bruised Ribs and Obliques.
    Mobility is fine so it's nothing more serious, just needs some time to heal.
    On Ibu for the next 3 days to keep the inflammation down and then get it out of the system before Sunday.
    Prognosis is to have some residual pain on Sunday, but should be manageable.

Other than that, apart from a few tight calves that needed some extra work, all is good.

Good stuff!

Get the Ibuprofen out of the system before the race, or get rid of the inflammation? If the former, I'm curious why?

Get the Ibuprofen out of the system before the race, or get rid of the inflammation? If the former, I'm curious why?

Just to minimise any gastro impact

Just to minimise any gastro impact

Interesting, never copped to that.

Just a little tip, rub tiger balm into your ribs before bed and make sure to rub some in before the race. Helps relax the muscles around the ribcage and makes breathing a bit easier. Used to help me whenever I had bruised ribs.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Just a little tip, rub tiger balm into your ribs before bed and make sure to rub some in before the race. Helps relax the muscles around the ribcage and makes breathing a bit easier. Used to help me whenever I had bruised ribs.

And then wash your hands :pac:

Advertisement