Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are those pink ones definitely mens?
    I made the same mistake at TkMaxx recently with pink brooks...

Described as Black/Green/Red, but the Red is more of a variant of Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

In other news on a bit of a Puma buzz at the mo - great value at 5 pairs for just north of €200.

Where did you get them - I've been considering Puma for a while.

Bit of a mixture, between travels, etc.
    Always worth a browse in TK Maxx, watch the sizing though, not consistent, I flip between 9.5 and 10, so not major if you're out a little.
    Sent you a link on FB for a good store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Love Puma myself. How different are the 350s to the 300s? Decent sale online so was thinking about picking up a few. Don't go near the 600s though. Only Pumas I hate. 300s and the 500s are bloody fantastic.

Love Puma myself. How different are the 350s to the 300s? Decent sale online so was thinking about picking up a few. Don't go near the 600s though. Only Pumas I hate. 300s and the 500s are bloody fantastic.

I love the 350's and purchased a pair in 9.5 based on that's a great a size for me in the 200's, but it's a tiny bit snug, the 10 would be perfect (so I'm on the lookout). I'm really considering it to be my ST5 alternative for marathons and LSD's. I've only just got the 300's was hoping it to be everything the 350's were but after one run I don't find them as comfortable as the 350's - but I'll reserve judgement.
    You should really consider giving the 200r a whiz, I really can't fault this shoe (there's another 2 pairs on the way :)), they're quick, comfortable and light, but I expect I won't get 500 mls out of them, but hey they cost a third of a pair of Kayanos :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Lads feck off to the shopping channel :)

TbL

Before TbL kills me......!

sportsdirect.com (use the code IRE20) and you can get the 350 for about 33 euro a pair. Not too sure how long the code will last though. Bargain!

December Totals
    Miles: 301.1
    Runs: 39
    Hours: 37:46
    Races: 4

Another decent mileage month and I'll admit to chasing the shiny 3k miles although it made it a difficult juggling act with races, work travel and family commitments, a few days recovery over Christmas would have served me better.

Had several below par races, but these were always planned as part of a progression, just not progressing as fast as I would have hoped.

January will see more structure and sessions added as I need to learn to hurt in training again if I'm to have the mental strength to hurt in races again.

Happy New Year to One and All, I hope you get what your training deserves (and a little more).

15970949860_26d5548f38_b.jpg

15972157909_b5589b00f7_b.jpg

Running Totals
    MTD: 301.1 [484.5]
    YTD: 3,000.77 [4,828.2]
    Races YTD: 30
    Masters PBs: 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

December Totals
    Miles: 301.1
    Runs: 39
    Hours: 37:46
    Races: 4

Another decent mileage month and I'll admit to chasing the shiny 3k miles although it made it a difficult juggling act with races, work travel and family commitments, a few days recovery over Christmas would have served me better.

Had several below par races, but these were always planned as part of a progression, just not progressing as fast as I would have hoped.

January will see more structure and sessions added as I need to learn to hurt in training again if I'm to have the mental strength to hurt in races again.

Happy New Year to One and All, I hope you get what your training deserves (and a little more).

15970949860_26d5548f38_b.jpg

15972157909_b5589b00f7_b.jpg

Running Totals
    MTD: 301.1 [484.5]
    YTD: 3,000.77 [4,828.2]
    Races YTD: 30
    Masters PBs: 7

Some mileage for an auld lad!

Best of luck for 2015

TbL

Great info there. Congrats on hitting the 3,000 mile mark....although you were quite close to the 5,000km mark!!

Great consistency throughout the year.

• Advertisement

2015 is off and running and going to plan.
    The plan is to work off a 2 week cycle, which will include:
    1 x LSR, 1 x shorter LSR + quality, 1 x tempo and 1 x <10k paced sessions.
    The remainder will be filler miles, with some a little faster than easy if the body allows and it's doesn't impact the sessions above, includes a little bit of flexibility to accommodate a few races.

Jan 3rd | Wicklow Master's XC
    Bit of a muckfest, ran a decent effort, but could have done with longer spikes and less indulgence over Christmas, finished strong taking a few places.

Jan 4th | LSR - 22
    I had progressed my long one over the Christmas period, 18 on the 21st and 20 on the 28th, so the logical step was to extend again.
    Quick chat with KC after the XC and the plan was to hook up with him as he was planning an easy 15.
    So hit a frosty Shanganagh shortly after 8am, for a few miles before heading to Krusty's to avail of the facilities and then we headed to Bray to pick up Neil, who had a nice lumpy 11-12 planned for us.
    This was a nice enjoyable run, great to have a bit of company as we eventually ended back in Shanganagh at 18+ miles for me, popped into the park, finished with a few sub 7's and back home for a mega-breakfast.

Jan 6th | 5 x 0.5 miles @ <10k pace
    A bit of a feeler session if anything, not fast enough for 5k and not long enough for 10k, but 1st one in a long time and I was feeling some fatigue from the weekend.
    So I eased back into this type of training and stretched myself a little more on each rep and nothing went pop :)
    [2:57 - 2:54 - 2:48 - 2:47 - 2:43]

Jan 11th | 4 x 4 miles progression
    With the blustery wind and to minimize the impact on the splits I done this around one of the local GAA pitches where they've put in a nice 520 mt track of crushed gravel with a few lumps and bumps.
    So 49 laps later :eek: and we have a nice little fatigue building session done. Found this relatively comfortable, so hopefully this is the signs of a few green shoots from the end of year consistency.
    [Block 1 7:32 pace - Block 2 7:11 pace - Block 3 6:49 pace - Block 4 6:29 pace]

16228141006_316be6dd06_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 64.5 [103.8]
    MTD: 100.7 [162.1]
    Races YTD: 1
    Weight: 72.0kg

49 laps!!

Seen it on Strava, but didn't realise it was 49 laps!
    Did u change direction for some variation :) ?

49 laps!!

Seen it on Strava, but didn't realise it was 49 laps!
    Did u change direction for some variation :) ?

A good mental and physical workout.

Not a whole pile to report for this week, progressed the mileage as planned, got a short sharper session in and a nice time on the feet run.

Jan 15th | 6 x 1min ish
    This was another feeler session, concentrating on form and running at about 1m - 3k pace.
    Picked out a stretch of tarmac along the seafront, but had a pretty strong cross wind that caused a few heel clips from time to time, paces were:
    [5:33-5:17-5:08-5:09-5:05-4:52].
    There's been no reaction from these so gives some confidence that I can keep pushing upwards.

Jan 17th | 20.5 miles hilly and slow
    Had considered heading out to Marlay and chucking in a 5k tempo in the middle of my 20, but when I woke and seen the heavy frost I decided to stay local and wait for thaw as getting the long in was the primary aim.
    Got sucked into a few chores and then managed to get out shortly after one, was still chilly and you had to mind your step on sheltered side roads.

Headed on out via Ballylusk quarry and entered Carrick, from 2.5 miles you have 5 miles of climbing gaining about 900ft in the process.
    Some interesting conditions up on Carrick including the perfect storm of running uphill, against the wind on an icy trail leading to an almost 10min mile split.
    10606068_10205045293726348_5716428541742255975_n.jpg?oh=2b4ef35f63426fda8dc1530117039a6b&oe=55316612&__gda__=1428399359_068d84ef65d382026fa8c86d85afbd24

Some respite as you head back down and into Glenealy, before climbing again to reach Deputy's Pass, a little stop start along here to get over, around or under storm debris before exiting and back onto the road.

It was around here at about 14 miles I realized that I had only eaten 2 slices of toast in the last 21hrs and that was 7hrs ago, bad planning really and turned what should have been and easy 20 into a decent workout with the hills and my body started to eat itself!

My 62 day running streak ends today as I have an 18 hour work day tomorrow, no harm, with no major targets on the horizon just yet there's no point in burning the candle at both ends.

16121063908_cd0f1900c1_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 68.3 [109.8]
    MTD: 169.0 [271.9]
    Weight: 71.8kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Would love to have that route out here!

Nice run..and streak!

Potentially a write off of a week, but salvaged something over the weekend with the majority of the mileage coming in the last few days.
    Mon - Wed I was in the UK with work, Mon was a planned down day and achieved what I had set out on Tuesday and Weds.
    Thurs and Fri I had hoped to squeeze in double days and still hit 60 for the week, but I had just too much catching up to do.

Jan 24th | 2E + 3S + 2E + 3S + 2E
    From the last few years of marathon training (and before anyone asks - I've no Spring plans :P), this is one of my fav sessions, just enough to get you working, but not too taxing with a decent recovery between efforts, in fact getting that recovery right is probably key to the session.
    As your fitness improves you can take this from closer to HM pace down to 10M pace for the 2 x 3M efforts.
    Beautiful morning for a run and I ran well within myself at around HM pace, although the 2nd 3 was into a headwind particularly the last chunk along the prom.
    2E(7:33) + 3S(6:18) + 2E(7:21) + 3S(6:16) + 2E(7:23)

Jan 25th | MSR - 16
    Had to spend a few hours standing on a touchline watching Luke's match this morning, but it was worth it as he bagged a hat trick :D
    This was a tidy enough run, kind of Lydiard in approach with the 1st 8 @ 7:18 and the return 8 @ 7:09, slightly tougher conditions on the return with the breeze against.

Next week ends with Dungarvan, don't think I'm at last year's sub 60 level yet as I'm aiming for a later peak, but planning on an honest effort to set a benchmark.

15741263984_d1a53d5e1d_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 51.8 [83.3]
    MTD: 220.8 [355.2]
    Weight: 71.8kg

Easy enough week up to today, with no sessions, mainly easy runnings with some strides and the odd fast mile or two thrown in.

Feb 1st | Dungarvan 10
    Knew in my heart of hearts that I wasn't in the same shape as last year, but was quite prepared to give it a go anyway.
    JC collected me just before 10:30 and headed south, stopping briefly in Enniscorthy to pick up a few coffees.
    Arrived in plenty of time despite the potential temptation of diverting up to the Dungarvan Brewing Company.

Went on a warm up to check out the route change and made a mental note of the cheeky new climb from about 8.9miles to 9.4miles, which would add an extra challenge at the end of the race.

Positioned myself several rows back and got a clean start and into my running pretty quickly, quick loop of the town and soon we were back over the start and heading out on the course proper - 5:57.
    Bit of work on mile 2 up the main Cork Rd but I felt smooth and crested this with a 6:01.
    Mile 3 has the majority of the climb that comes again at the beginning of mile 9, having to work hard here, but get going on the far side and watch split just before 3 in 18:03.
    Shortly afterwards we turn westerly and into a pretty stiff head wind, I work hard to maintain pace, but I'm having to reach for it and the group I'm with are feeling the effects also. About half way through I make an effort to catch the group in front, it's hard work but I get there just as it disintegrates - a rather disappointing 6:12.
    Pretty exposed against the breeze on mile 5 I take shelter where I can running behind another runner or close to the hedge where it makes sense, but I leak more time here as my effort is rising - halfway by the course clock 30:36.

About another 600 and we turn out of the wind and of course where it should be behind you we are in the most sheltered part of the course :rolleyes: but I do get the legs turning over, but it's another 6:12.
    7th mile starts with an uphill and then a nice downhill, last year I used this part of the course to kick on, this year I let gravity do the work and take the opportunity to recover a little, still manage a 6:05.
    Mile 8 is relatively flat with a little kick at the end, I hoping the end is near - 6:11.
    Mile 9 up the Cork Rd heading for home, I'm passing a few bodies, but only because they are fading faster than me - 6:22 (55:25 on the course clock).
    Final mile - thank funk, keep working the arms concentrating on form and I work my way up this hill for the 2nd and final time, a glance at the watch shows 6:27 pace :eek: as I go over the top. This spurs me into life and I start the long run for home. Bit of a downhill stretch and I close in on the group in front, hit the main road in full flight and take a few bodies before the roundabout. 400mt sign on the road and I push hard again and take 2 more before the final corner but a full on sprint to take one more place - 5:55.
    1:01:20 on the Garmin, 1:01:21 official results, 81st overall, 6th M45.

In reflection an honest assessment of where I'm at, I would've have been happy to nip under 61, but disappointed to go over 62. Need to add more in now at threshold and faster than threshold, this will become a little more manageable as the evenings lengthen.

Mighty spread as always back at the sports center and good to catch up with a few familiar faces.

16395046776_cbc938348f_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 54.0 [86.9]
    MTD (Jan): 261.9 [421.4]
    Races YTD: 2
    Weight: 71.6kg

Nice work today and a nice honest report.
    How much of a difference did the small course change make??

Nice work today and a nice honest report.
    How much of a difference did the small course change make??

Probably 10secs, similar for the wind, rest me being sh1t this year.

A week that went according to plan.

Nothing residual from Dungarvan - must try harder :rolleyes:

Hit my planned 60 miles.

Started on more specific training with a fairly intensive session yesterday, when this becomes 6 x 1m moving through the gears from 10k pace to 5k pace racing shape won't be too far off.

What an amazing morning for a run this morning, is Spring here - I hope so! Met up with an old running buddy who is getting back into shape for about 13 miles of this, nice to shoot the breeze and keep my pace in check.

Next week heading down to Donadea, no real plan in place, only a training run but will join the 3:30 bus and decide what to do as I go along.

16470800472_e38085c242_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 60.7 [97.7]
    MTD: 73.6 [118.4]
    Weight: 71.3kg

• Advertisement

Nothing much to report Mon - Fri, very busy in work including a day in the UK which forced a 'rest' day, if you call an alarm going off at 4:30am and getting home at 11pm a rest day:(.

Recovered the week over the weekend with just north of 30 miles.

Nice trot around Donadea with TRR y'day, 16 miles at theoretical MP. Good gang of boardies knocking about and a great day in the racing calendar.
    A rather steady 10 this morning with the Bray boys as part of their easy 20!
    And with some residual tiredness in the muscles this afternoon treated myself to some TLC miles to keep the blood flowing.

Next week, haven't looked at yet, but about 60, with some 5k paced and some tempo paced stuff in there anyway.

15919503333_258befe5bc_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 55.2 [88.8]
    MTD: 128.8 [207.2]
    YTD: 390.7 [628.6]
    Weight: 71.0kg

Yeps, got through what I needed to get through this week, with a slight deviation from the plan yesterday.
    Weight crept back up a little due to a bit of Valentine's and mid-term excess last week, but on the wagon now for lent, but with 3 hall passes available :cool:.

Feb 17th | 4 x 1k + 4 x 200
    Had Monday and Tuesday off, mainly family focused but did manage to sneak into Shanganagh for a session on the Tuesday.
    4 x 1k with 2min rec [Avg 3:32] + 4 x 200m with walk back rec [Avg 35], target was 3:30 for the k's and 36 for the 200's. Found myself reaching to hit the mark for the k's, also felt the Garmin was measuring off, as usually on back lap in Shanganagh it's just marginally short of a k, but I found myself going on for 50+ meters, so I concentrated on effort and gave up a few seconds per k. The 200's were fun and controlled.

Wicklow Hospice 10k
    The plan was 12M plus 2 x 3M @ T, but after a convincing chat with Billy on Friday evening I went down to support this race and tweak the plan.
    The new plan was a 3M W/U, run the 10k at around tempo pace and then warm down for 3M.

Decent turn out for this across the 3 events (10k, Hm and walk) with close to 200 in the 10k. A good splattering of Wicklow club athletes and neighboring counties toed the line. As the start was narrow I position myself near the front and got a good position before the road widened as we leave Avondale and then eased back into my plan.
    3:39 - 3:56 - 3:50 as we entered the main road from Rathdrum and I'm back in 11th or 12th.

The group I'm in starts to slow and the next runner (from Parnell) is 20mts up the road, so I'm in a dilemma, decide to push on, but as I get on his shoulder, he speeds up, I naturally speed up and suddenly we're hurtling down the road shoulder to shoulder, a 3:23 4th k soon transpires and I get my senses back for a short while and ease off.
    He pushes on and I slip in behind him, but then he eases up slightly and I just continue at my pace, this time passing with no challenge. My momentum has brought me up behind a club mate (Colm) and I push on through into 7th place, watch shows 18:20 through 5k.

The scene is set now, no going back and I stride out with Colm close behind as we reenter Avondale. We come back over the start line with maybe 2.75 miles in the woods to contend with.

I focus on getting my cadence up and whizz along towards the 'middle road' the footsteps die away and it's just me time trailing for the time being with 6th place out of sight.

Enjoy the ups and downs through the woods, work - recover, rinse and repeat.
    Back on the middle road with a k to go and 6th is maybe 100mts away.
    Start lifting the pace now, but do need to be careful as you are running against the runners on their 7th k, and there's quite a few of them.
    Close out the final k in sub 3:30 pace and get within 5 secs of 6th.

36:33 | 7th overall | 2nd M40

I'm pleased with this run at this stage, not planned, was comfortable and coherent throughout and signs of progression as I put quite a distance between myself and a few that finished ahead of me in the Master's XC.

A forced day off tomorrow with a full on work day and night ahead.
    Will run easy for a few days with a few strides, run the F4L 5k and pace another charity 5k and try and get over 60 miles again.

16612344732_1e8ecee5f3_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 60.5 [97.3]
    MTD: 189.3 [304.5]
    YTD: 451.1 [725.9]
    Races YTD: 3
    Weight: 71.2kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great race and report D, well done. Looks like BR had a very good showing yesterday :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great race and report D, well done. Looks like BR had a very good showing yesterday :)

At the pointy end yes, expected to see more faces down there from Bray tbh, with the location and charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice 10k there BB, things are coming along nicely. Do you see yourself running on the track at all this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice 10k there BB, things are coming along nicely. Do you see yourself running on the track at all this year?

in a 10k on April 22nd, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

At the pointy end yes, expected to see more faces down there from Bray tbh, with the location and charity.
    That's a shame. Ballycotton prep might be taking precedence. Maybe a bigger internal push next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »
    in a 10k on April 22nd, for example?

10k on a track, ewww. Hope there is an 800m on the same night! :)

Track is in the plan, but from May on wards, will target the DAB graded and some others - 3k max probably.
    April - early May is road focused:
    • Apr 6th Leinster 10M
    • Apr 23rd Wicklow 5k
    • May 3rd Leinster Master's 6k

• Advertisement

Pretty much hit the mark again this week, although just missed out on 60 miles, missed due to not completing my planned warm down today, but a change of clothes, a warm cup of coffee and some cake seemed more beneficial.

Feb 23rd | Rest Day | Wheelchair Basketball
    A rest day, if you call 2hrs playing wheelchair basketball a rest! Great upper arm and core workout.
    If you are ever looking for a team building activity, call IWA in Clontarf and fun will be had by all.

Feb 26th | Fit4Life 5k
    Traveled down to this one with Abhainn determined to give it an honest go.
    It was cold and windy in Rathdrum, with a sub-zero chill factor.
    The course wouldn't be described as the quickest, with a 600mt drag on the lap which needs to be completed 3.5 times, and of course this was against the icy breeze.

Got a solid start, in behind Abhainn who led us out and Mick Byrne.
    They made some ground on the hill 1st time around, and I kept a steady but high tempo pace. I was 4th going through the start line at approx 1.5k as my 10k intra-race speedster from last Saturday came flying by.

Take back 3rd momentarily at the bottom corner and then give it back to a Roundwood runner who storms past as we go through the finish with 2 laps to go.

Working hard up the hill I keep him within touching distance and the leaders are reasonably close. It stays like this as we complete the circuit and I lift the the effort on the climb for the final time, which seems steeper and wind seems stronger :rolleyes:. Garmin stats later show little impact in pace, but I am closing on 3rd.

Take 3rd halfway along the top road and knowing it's mainly downhill now, apart from the last 250, I make the long run for home. Hit the sharp turn at the bottom and look over to see that I'm pretty safe. Take a look at my watch for the 1st time and realize 17:30 is close, so power up the hill and finish strongly.

Legs were a bit wobbly as I crossed the line, a few attempted dry reaches and a fit of coughing as the cold was deep in the lungs. Check the watch and was happy with my 17:26 - a 1min 7sec course PB.

Pleasing performance, good strength on a tough course and happy to keep the gap to the winner (Mick Byrne) to 15 secs.

17:26 | 3rd overall | 1st M45

Mar 1st | Ben 5k | 20min pacer
    I had the privilege of being involved in this one today as part of Meno's pacing team.
    Traveled down the night before with MrsBB and had some nice Ales in the Sky and the Ground pub watching the rugby.
    10917392_10205317932782154_2828278912022648077_n.jpg?oh=51c6cf7366b7aa5b0d37aeefe65e12e1&oe=557EBC1B&__gda__=1435444493_43fab12c818fe7723a993dbcd5d7456d
    Before heading up the town for some grub.

What started out as a fantastic morning,
    1958417_10205322983228412_5768071790186608630_n.jpg?oh=3ce3d4d4df3a2b9310c7ecb4a821a4d7&oe=554AAFC8
    soon turned into close to the worst conditions I've every ran a race in.

Met up with the pacing crew and then I went and done a course recce, before getting tooled up with my balloon, etc. Moseyed down to the start with Meno and got absolutely soaked from head to toe as we waited for the off.

Over 600 in this for a great cause and soon we were hurtling down the road for the out and back section. Turned shortly before 1k and the 1st split was bang on 4mins.

Turning we were straight into what felt like like a gale force wind, with horizontal rain to keep you honest. Having done the recce I knew I couldn't afford to loose time here as km number 2 finishes with a nice uphill section of about 400mts. Kept it at 4's along the main road and they gave back a little on the climb - 4:07.

This wasn't of any concern as I knew km 3 was the mirror of 2 (glad I done the recce), kept the effort even, though I was now out of company apart from one runner. We stride out on the closing downhill stretch and go through 3k at 12mins on the nose.

4th k is uphill for 800mts, but there is a following breeze as my balloon heads out in front of me, I aim to keep the pace at 4mins and close in behind the artist formerly known as claralara. Give her some words of encouragement as we near the top and my Garmin beeps 3:59, but still a few meters before I pass the km sign at 16:03.

A nice downhill k (mainly) to finish with and our group is 4 as mithril joins us, he kicks on and I pace CL to the finish.

I'm mindful of banking a few secs to allow for Garmin discrepancies and we head downhill at 3:50 pace.

The last 500 is a little undulating as you reenter the start area, a little more encouragement for CL here and we make it over the line in 19:57, job done :cool:

Fab atmosphere in-spite of the conditions and probably the only race that I finished heavier than when I started (well maybe the beer mile), so I headed straight for the HQ and didn't give too much thought to the additional 2 miles needed to hit 60 for the week.

Put it in your diary for next year.

19:57

Need to hit the beginning of March hard as the 2nd half of the month is a car crash work wise and hope the fitness carries me through for the Leinster 10M.

16497089910_d06b802619_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 58.3 [93.8]
    MTD: 239.8 (FEB) [385.8]
    YTD: 509.5 [819.7]
    Races YTD: 4
    Weight: 70.8kg

Advertisement